HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NYI & Barclays Center To Make Major Announcement (mod edit: NYI to Brooklyn in 2015)

Old
10-29-2012, 07:21 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Logos and colors are changed all the time even when a team doesn't move at all.
Isles and their diehards, are very proud of their 4 cups and SC heros : Bossy, Trots, Billy Smith, Potvin, Nystrom. Zero interest in making either the logo or name a trivia question.

What were the Brooklyn Knights called before moving 27 miles away, to a new arena?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I generally think teams should be named after cities whenever justified. I don't really care what they are called, but if it were up to me I'd localize the name. It would help give the team more of an aura of a new beginning.
The team (now, at least) plays in New York City. Why wouldn't they be named after it.

Islander102 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:29 PM
KevFu

Another reason you don't change the name is because in 28 years, they could GO BACK.

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:32 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
Another reason you don't change the name is because in 28 years, they could GO BACK.
after you get out of Nassau or Suffolk County you never want to go back

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:34 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
after you get out of Nassau or Suffolk County you never want to go back
I realize the odds of Nassau ever deciding what to build on that site are slim to none, but the land is still there and JUST building an NHL arena was all they have ever agreed to do. It could happen again.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:07 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I generally think teams should be named after cities whenever justified. I don't really care what they are called, but if it were up to me I'd localize the name. It would help give the team more of an aura of a new beginning.
so then you agree that the name should stay new york islanders since brooklyn is a boro in the city of new york.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 08:29 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
so then you agree that the name should stay new york islanders since brooklyn is a boro in the city of new york.
yeah but Brooklyn likes to pretend its its own city. Do you ever hear from someone in Queens where Queens would rank if was a separate city? Or the Bronx? Only Brooklyn talks like that.

Old
10-31-2012, 12:22 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
Buzzkill. Don't do that.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 12:33 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
yeah but Brooklyn likes to pretend its its own city. Do you ever hear from someone in Queens where Queens would rank if was a separate city? Or the Bronx? Only Brooklyn talks like that.
Except that Brooklyn did used to be its own city, unlike the Bronx, Queens, or Mostly-Jersey (Staten Island). Brooklyn still has its own downtown and city hall like building. The sense of independence still lives on, even after it merged and even after the dodgers left

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 12:44 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

and besides, everyone knows real Brooklynites only refer to Manhattan as "the city" anyway

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 12:52 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
and besides, everyone knows real Brooklynites only refer to Manhattan as "the city" anyway
actually, that would be real Long Islanders

Old
10-31-2012, 12:58 AM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Except that Brooklyn did used to be its own city, unlike the Bronx, Queens, or Mostly-Jersey (Staten Island). Brooklyn still has its own downtown and city hall like building. The sense of independence still lives on, even after it merged and even after the dodgers left
IIRC weren't the Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island separate cities or at least counties before the merger in 1898?

Old
10-31-2012, 01:05 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
IIRC weren't the Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island separate cities or at least counties before the merger in 1898?
Well when Brooklyn voted to merge, NYC was Manhattan & the Bronx. The difference is that Brooklyn was well developed and urbanized whereas Queens and Staten Island was mostly rural. You would have been hard pressed to call SI or Queens a city at the time, whereas the core of Brooklyn was in many ways on the same level as Manhattan. The rural parts of Brooklyn came along with it

Old
10-31-2012, 12:12 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Well when Brooklyn voted to merge, NYC was Manhattan & the Bronx. The difference is that Brooklyn was well developed and urbanized whereas Queens and Staten Island was mostly rural. You would have been hard pressed to call SI or Queens a city at the time, whereas the core of Brooklyn was in many ways on the same level as Manhattan. The rural parts of Brooklyn came along with it
I remember back in 1998 during the 100th anniversary the New York Times Magazine wrote a piece about how Brooklyn would have fared had it not joined since the vote was closer in Brooklyn than it was in Queens or SI. The conclusion was Brooklyn would have been better off.

However, at this point Queens has almost as many people and while it doesn't have the downtown highrises like Brooklyn does in Metrotech center etc. you still don't hear out of people from Queens how big Queens would be if it was its own city

Old
10-31-2012, 02:25 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Queens and SI were counties, not cities... hence each of them having little towns and communities within them. Brooklyn was a city that had already absorbed most of the surrounding towns in Kings County while New York City at the time comprised the entirety of New York County including the rural parts of what would eventually become the Bronx. Queens had been split shortly before the merger with Nassau being created out of it in the 1880's due to the difference in character between suburban western Queens and rural eastern Queens.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 06:56 PM
aqib

Sorry if its already been discussed in this thread but how the deal works. Do the Islanders just pay a flat fee or is it a % of revenues?

Old
10-31-2012, 07:33 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Sorry if its already been discussed in this thread but how the deal works. Do the Islanders just pay a flat fee or is it a % of revenues?
Excepting the term (length), no details of that kind have been made public.

There could be a % of luxury box income, arena sponsorships/naming rights, parking, concessions that offset the "costs" (security, janitorial, maintenance, utilities, usher staff, etc.) that will be incurred.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 07:49 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Queens and SI were counties, not cities... hence each of them having little towns and communities within them. Brooklyn was a city that had already absorbed most of the surrounding towns in Kings County while New York City at the time comprised the entirety of New York County including the rural parts of what would eventually become the Bronx. Queens had been split shortly before the merger with Nassau being created out of it in the 1880's due to the difference in character between suburban western Queens and rural eastern Queens.
Brooklyn was located within a county too. The city of Brooklyn was within Kings county which included some more rural areas and smaller towns down south, that were not incorporated within the city of Brooklyn. The city of BRooklyn was much bigger and urbanized than anything that Queens or Staten Island could offer. Queens had "cities" too, such as LIC (which too had its own mayor) as well as Jamaica and Newtown (western parts of Queens today known as Ridgewood, Maspeth, Elmhurst, Middle Village), but nothing that could be compared to Brooklyn. Staten Island was almost completely farmland, their towns were tiny compared to even Queens.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 09:02 PM
StrongIslanders90

If we have to change our name then the Rags do too, Manhattan Rangers.

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 09:26 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
If we have to change our name then the Rags do too, Manhattan Rangers.
Its not logically the same.

Everyone knows that the New York in New York Islanders refers to the state.

New York in New York Rangers refers to the city.

As you know, Manhattan is also known as New York county. When you address a letter to a Manhattanite you address it to New York, NY. When people say New York down here (as you know), they refer to Manhattan (I mean I'm positive that when you say I'm heading out to New York today you don't mean Uniondale, or Brooklyn, or Queens)/

Having said that, the Islanders won't and shouldn't change their name to Brooklyn Islanders.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:45 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
uh.... no offense, but I don't think that many people think of the New York Islanders as referring to the state of New York. At least not outside that region, that is.

Most people just assume it's referring to the city, and a lot probably think that they play in the city, too.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 12:50 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Most people just assume it's referring to the city, and a lot probably think that they play in the city, too.
They do play in the city..right?

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 06:26 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
They do play in the city..right?
Not now they don't. They're about 20 miles outside city limits.

When i was referring to"everyone" i did mean area sport fans.

Old
11-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Hey Hanrahan

Quote:
CREW99AW: I had a friend asked me how I must feel to have "lost" the Islanders because they were moving. And he wasn't even a Californian or New Orleanian; he was from Cleveland. It's no different than the Lakers & Kings moving from the Forum to Staples.
I don't agree with this at all. Lakers and Kings were always considered Los Angeles' teams. Moving from one part of Los Angeles to another doesn't change that.

In contrast, the Islanders were always considered Long Island's team (especially by Long Islanders) with the Rangers being the City's team. And by Long Island I mean the suburbs of Nassau and Suffolk, not "geographic" Long Island. It was suburbs against the big, bad city -- two very different places culturally.

The Islanders will now become just another "City" team; they won't particularly represent Long Island any more than the Nets or Mets do.

Do you know any people born-and-raised in Brooklyn who consider themselves Long Islanders? No, because it's a different place. (For example, I was was born in Brooklyn, and then we moved out to Long Island when I was 5.)

(All this said, I agree this was the next-best alternative to staying in Nassau (they stay the Islanders and I get to watch them on TV and attend (less) games, but we shouldn't pretend that Long Island and Brooklyn are the same place.)

Hey Hanrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 05:27 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Hanrahan View Post
I don't agree with this at all. Lakers and Kings were always considered Los Angeles' teams. Moving from one part of Los Angeles to another doesn't change that.

In contrast, the Islanders were always considered Long Island's team (especially by Long Islanders) with the Rangers being the City's team. And by Long Island I mean the suburbs of Nassau and Suffolk, not "geographic" Long Island. It was suburbs against the big, bad city -- two very different places culturally.

The Islanders will now become just another "City" team; they won't particularly represent Long Island any more than the Nets or Mets do.

Do you know any people born-and-raised in Brooklyn who consider themselves Long Islanders? No, because it's a different place. (For example, I was was born in Brooklyn, and then we moved out to Long Island when I was 5.)

(All this said, I agree this was the next-best alternative to staying in Nassau (they stay the Islanders and I get to watch them on TV and attend (less) games, but we shouldn't pretend that Long Island and Brooklyn are the same place.)
The idea is that this individual (My "friend" not CREW's) believed that Islanders fan viewed this as a loss of our team (like Hartford, Quebec, Minnesota or Winnipeg).

The truth is, this SAVED our team from leaving the market. So while Nassau and the Brooklyn have different connotations ("The Island's Team" vs "City Team"), they are still the New York Islanders, and not the Quebec Nordiques 2.0, Seattle Totems, or Kansas City Scouts 2.0.