HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NYI & Barclays Center To Make Major Announcement (mod edit: NYI to Brooklyn in 2015)

Old
10-24-2012, 11:43 AM
patnyrnyg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Pack it with who? The Islander fan base in Nassau and Suffolk counties don't attend the games now. Those fans aren't driving to Brooklyn. That's a nightmare. Take the Long Island RR. Depending upon where they live,its at least a 45-60 minute ride. Those people are taking a train to Brooklyn? Its great for Rangers fans living in NYC and in NJ. They get a chance to the Rangers 3-4 more time per season.
The Isles fan who works in the city can take the train to Barclay's, watch the game, and head home to any town on the LIRR, so long as it is not the Pt Washington line. Plus, the younger fans can jump on the train, head to the game, drink, head home just like the Rangers fan from LI does.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:43 AM
nyscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy77 View Post
Is it possible to expand the arena seating for hockey somehow ?

I've seen people mention Ratner was willing to do that if the Islanders go to Barclay's long term.
My quick estimate is that for a 75-100million renovation, they can get it "acceptable" (read: not great site lines, but symetrical & 16000 seats). I think they'd have to lose some basketball seats though.

nyscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:44 AM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
Well I be darned, never noticed it before. Oh well, they can probably keep it the same since most people wouldn't notice that or simply add the NYC portion and shrink the island portion of the logo (kind of apropro would it not?) and have most people not even notice there was a change...

Congrations Winnipeg, you will no longer have the smallest arena. It's funny how the NHL is going the CFL route by going to smaller arenas...
Compliments of Law - Isles mod who is a beast when it comes to graphical work!

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:46 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
Congrations Winnipeg, you will no longer have the smallest arena. It's funny how the NHL is going the CFL route by going to smaller arenas...
Major League Baseball ballparks have also been getting smaller.

rojac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:47 AM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
I've always thought that Hartford could be an acceptable option if necessary. But I'm glad the Islanders get to stay on a New York island, regardless of which.
I don't think that was ever an option. To get to Hartford requires driving through NYC or taking a ferry. Neither option is quick.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:48 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

SiriusXM NHL plans to carry presser live.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:50 AM
pld459666

the question I have now is

How long until the Russian guy buys the Islanders outright?

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:50 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Compliments of Law - Isles mod who is a beast when it comes to graphical work!

Should change the tilt of the island to make it more geographically correct, and then put the puck right on Brooklyn.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:51 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 232
@nyislanders: Today's 1 pm #Isles press conf. at the @barclayscenter is OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. If you're in the area, feel free to drop by.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:52 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 232
Quote:
Should change the tilt of the island(s) to make it more geographically correct, and then put the puck right on Brooklyn.
Holding a map at an angle doesn't make it any less geographically correct

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:52 AM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Should change the tilt of the island(s) to make it more geographically correct, and then put the puck right on Brooklyn.
Why would they do that?

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:53 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

I'm hoping, tomorrow, :-)

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Egil

While I feel that a team can survive in a 14,500 seat arena, that Arena needs a full lower bowl to maximize the number of premium seats. This is not the case in the Barclay's center.

This is obvious when one considers how you get from a 18,000 seat arena to the 14,500 seats. In Winnipeg, you lop off the top rows of the second level, which are the cheapest seats that a team has to sell. In Brooklyn, you lop off one end, which includes all sorts of premium lower bowl seats. So you can try to replicate the situation in Winnipeg with higher prices, but that will involve selling upper level seats as if they were lower bowl seats, and that will be a very, very hard sell.

Egil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AceintheSpace*

Quote:
@ChrisBottaNHL

Mayor Bloomberg's presence at today's press conference would seem to indicates #Isles want to get to Brooklyn as quickly as they can.

AceintheSpace* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:54 AM
wickedwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
The Isles fan who works in the city can take the train to Barclay's, watch the game, and head home to any town on the LIRR, so long as it is not the Pt Washington line. Plus, the younger fans can jump on the train, head to the game, drink, head home just like the Rangers fan from LI does.
Exactly. It is absurdly convenient for most fans who live on LI or Queens but work in Manhattan. Barclay's is directly on the way home. (Unlike Shea/Citi Field which are more out of the way for most.)

wickedwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:55 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Holding a map at an angle doesn't make it any less geographically correct
The changing of the angle of the island would be to make the placement of the puck over Brooklyn be easier to do with respect to the blade of the stick... That was my idea.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:56 AM
pld459666

Anyway, a posted asked if this ramps up the rivalry with the Rangers?

Not until the Islanders become a better team.

This move doesn't do much of increasing the rivalry in my eyes. I don't hate tham any less, or any more now that they are in Crooklyn.

I was hoping they would stay, be that out on the Island, in Queens or in Crooklyn.

Glad they stayed.

part one is complete.

get better so we can see you in the PO's. Now that WILL raise the hate level.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:56 AM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Looks like Ratner is now a minority owner of the Isles...

http://www.netsdaily.com/2012/10/24/...center-in-2015

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil View Post
While I feel that a team can survive in a 14,500 seat arena, that Arena needs a full lower bowl to maximize the number of premium seats. This is not the case in the Barclay's center.

This is obvious when one considers how you get from a 18,000 seat arena to the 14,500 seats. In Winnipeg, you lop off the top rows of the second level, which are the cheapest seats that a team has to sell. In Brooklyn, you lop off one end, which includes all sorts of premium lower bowl seats. So you can try to replicate the situation in Winnipeg with higher prices, but that will involve selling upper level seats as if they were lower bowl seats, and that will be a very, very hard sell.
Is there a particular reason why Barclays couldn't do what Winnipeg did?

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

Probably not long after they move in.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:01 PM
KingsFan7824

Who knows, one day they may even get to play NHL hockey games in their new home. Crazy, I know, but anything is possible.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AceintheSpace*

Press conference now.

AceintheSpace* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwitch View Post
Exactly. It is absurdly convenient for most fans who live on LI or Queens but work in Manhattan. Barclay's is directly on the way home. (Unlike Shea/Citi Field which are more out of the way for most.)
I wouldn't say it is directly on the way home. The difference is to go to Shea, you can take the 7 train or LIRR out. However, after the game, for anyone NOT on the Pt Washington line, you have to take the LIRR back to Woodside, then likely get a train from Woodside to Jamaica, then change at Jamaica for your ride home. If you are lucky, you go back to woodside, then get a train that stops at Jamaica, buy you don't have to change.

The only time I ever took the train to Shea was when I lived on Long Island. It was for game 3 of the 99 NLCS. It was a friday night, so I picked up my friend at Hofstra, we drove to Pt Washington and took the LIRR. Another friend once took the train home by going back to woodside, then headed out east. He was going to Merrick which is on the Babylon (busiest line). Said it took him over 3 hours to get home.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 12:02 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil View Post

in any other city I may agree with you.

In New York, I don't see this being a problem.

The Islanders may have operated like a small market team, but they are still a New York Franchise with the same money available to them that is available to the Rangers.

Filling 14.5k seats at the prices needed to make money is not going to be an issue.

Plus, Brooklyn is filled with alot of very odd and VERY Brooklyn loyal residents. I have no doubt that the Islanders are going to do very well for themselves in that building.

Keeping it at 14.5k seats is going to create the buzz of needing to get in on something special.

Supply and Demand at its finest.

Old
10-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Egil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Is there a particular reason why Barclays couldn't do what Winnipeg did?
Yes. Barclay's center was built to fit a basketball court (94ft long), not a NHL ice surface (200 ft long). The result is that you need to put one end of the ice under the second level, which means you have to get rid of those lower bowl seats and not sell tickets to the 2nd level which is hanging over the ice (or if you do sell those tickets, they have to be dirt, dirt cheap). This problem is not really fixable (at best they could maybe improve the lower bowl seat removal process to keep more seats), and was a decision made in the early construction of the arena.

Egil is offline   Reply With Quote