HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you happy with the move to Brooklyn?

View Poll Results: Are you happy with the Isles moving to Brooklyn
Yes 196 88.29%
No 26 11.71%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Augscura

vCash: 500
Are you happy with the move to Brooklyn?

Pretty simple. Yes or no, and please elaborate.

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 0
Isles stay on Long Island for 25 more years. I'm ecstatic.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:40 PM
JetsMetsIsles

Islanders stay on the Island and I get to take a train to the game for the first time in my life. I wish we could get out of Nassau Coliseum and away from that evil woman Murray sooner than 2015. There is a lot to love about this deal. I just hope that they can find a way to fix the sight line issues in the couple years before the Isles arrive.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Isles Junkie

My favorite team stays in the area at least till I'm a middle aged man. yeah I'm pretty happy.

Isles Junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:43 PM
scott99

Couldn't be happier !

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Strummergas

Yes, and moreso that it means our team stays in the area for the next 28 years!

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:47 PM
CREW99AW

Yes. I'm happy about the move.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 221
Not ideal for me personally but yes I am happy that they haven't moved outta state.. coulda been worse i guess

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:55 PM
19 in a row

Well since there were limited options, kind of like the situation the islanders were in with Nassau, I voted no...

Hate to see them leave, tough emotional day as a fan but if you gave me an option that said, hate to see them go but it is their only choice, i would have voted yes for that.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Degeneration Rex

Very easy for me to get to. I park the Rexmobile at the Woodlawn Subway, the number 4
train goes right to the Barclay's Center.

Degeneration Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Bert Marshall days

Look at my avatar.

Read my posts for the last year.

See my face

Am I happy? What do you think?

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Bexlyspeed

EXTREMELY Happy!

but im a realist, the team isnt just going to become great. wang needs to open the coffers and the pressure has to be on snow now to get us the players we need.

a real coach would be nice too

this is however a huge step forward, having a new arena and staying in NY gives the team stability that it has not had in more than a decade. nassau was never going to get us a building.

so we too k a huge step forward today but we still have a bit of a journey

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:32 PM
No Need To Vanek

We're staying in New York, hell yes.

No Need To Vanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

Personally I'm sad they won't be 5 miles from me anymore, but I'm a team player and this is GREAT for the franchise.

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:46 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Brooklyn > Anything else in another area outside of NY/NJ.... this is awesome. Happy for you guys.

Just means my easy drive to NVMC becomes a pain-in-the-ass commute to Barclay's which already has congestion to the point of unbearability. I had the pleasure of getting to a wedding reception during the early stages of the Jay-Z shows. Traffic was moving....

.....no.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

As long as they stay local. I was against a move at first, but once I saw how this whole fiasco was going with the politicians and then the referendum being voted down, I started to think about the options. Much rather them in Bklyn than in some far as place where I cant go to any games. Plus, this gives the franchise another life. I know Wang is still the owner, but I feel like more guys will want to play here now that we have a good young crop of guys and that we just got a brand new state of the art arena to play in. Its a win win either way. Except for the county residents.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SouthShore91

Nope, there's something special about being on Long Island and not in the city. Hate the move. I see the benefits but think those benefits could have been had in Nassau or Suffolk. Totally alienates the team's main population of fans and the number of games I attend and the passion I have for the team will drop.

SouthShore91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OlTimeHockey

Hapy it's over. Not happy that his revenue picture relies on new fans coming and staying and continuing to go to games in Ranger Country while old fans are jettisoned. If the revenues don't come, they are locked into a 25 year lease in a small building. What do they do when this doesn't make any money and franchise value drops (a 14,500 arena and bad hockey team does not gain in value)?

Fold or break the Brooklyn lease? If the Brooklyn lease is as ironclad as Nassau's and the team is not making any money.....fold. This is the picture I see. It now HAS TO SUCCEED. Fans HAVE TO SHOW UP. I won't. The 6am to work guy who won't get home until 11pm-12am won't.

The team doesn't have to worry about relocating now. It now has to THRIVE with their likely revenue deal with the arena. Long term thrive.

And I won't say it's impossible but the team has to be SOLID from day one to get and keep fans, and the team has to SPEND. Not one gain in fanbase can be lost with the departure of Suffolk and many Nassau fans. Not with the very limited revenue streams a tenancy in Brooklyn will have.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:49 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Hapy it's over. Not happy that his revenue picture relies on new fans coming and staying and continuing to go to games in Ranger Country while old fans are jettisoned. If the revenues don't come, they are locked into a 25 year lease in a small building. What do they do when this doesn't make any money and franchise value drops (a 14,500 arena and bad hockey team does not gain in value)?

Fold or break the Brooklyn lease? If the Brooklyn lease is as ironclad as Nassau's and the team is not making any money.....fold. This is the picture I see. It now HAS TO SUCCEED. Fans HAVE TO SHOW UP. I won't. The 6am to work guy who won't get home until 11pm-12am won't.

The team doesn't have to worry about relocating now. It now has to THRIVE with their likely revenue deal with the arena. Long term thrive.

And I won't say it's impossible but the team has to be SOLID from day one to get and keep fans, and the team has to SPEND. Not one gain in fanbase can be lost with the departure of Suffolk and many Nassau fans. Not with the very limited revenue streams a tenancy in Brooklyn will have.
I live on nassau/suffolk border. I used to have seasons for quite some time. I gave them up a couple of years ago. I still will go to 10-15 games. Probably most on the weekend. I know many of my friends who live near me or somehwere else in nassau said the same thing. However, i know many fans further out east that said they wont be going to any games. I think there will be a good number of fnas from LI that still go.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post

I think Wang will sell the team in the next 5 years since AY likely won't be completed.

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:00 PM
IwayMike

I am happy for the team since they will stay on the island, have a new arena and hopefully become profitable (or at least closer to it). On the negative side, I live 5 minutes away from the NVMC and, due to a disability issue and lack of parking at the Brooklyn arena, I will not be able to go to many games there.

IwayMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:08 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
I think Wang will sell the team in the next 5 years since AY likely won't be completed.
Keep an eye on the rumblings from Ratner's camp. They just did a story on the 20% owner stake in the Nets and stadium each being potentially divested by one of the parties. Wang might have the cash (if anyone pays NHL Center Ice prices for the AHL games with Neulion).

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Happy it is over.
Happy they'll be the New York Islanders for quite some time.
Happy we don't have to worry about a move to here or there for a very long time.

Granted, there is still work to be done...

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:14 PM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShore91 View Post
Nope, there's something special about being on Long Island and not in the city. Hate the move. I see the benefits but think those benefits could have been had in Nassau or Suffolk. Totally alienates the team's main population of fans and the number of games I attend and the passion I have for the team will drop.
all resources is nassau were exhausted if you go to suffolk you are even more small market. this gives the team a home and a chance to be competive...i get your feelings but i grew up a whaler fan and the thought of my team moving again was unbearable. belive me i know what its like for a franchise to move..far away.. its a horrible empty feeling.

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Fantom

voted i am not happy.
I am only not happy because it will not be as easy for me to get to a game. I think the pice of tickets plus Train fair will also make it alot harder for me personally.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote