HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Fehr and Loathing in Lost Wages (CBA & Lockout Discussion) - Part XV

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Butch 19
King me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Most NHL players can make a living wage elsewhere and have some money in the bank.
Maybe they recover the lost wages with a good deal, Maybe not.
Maybe not?!!!

Bring in Mike Modano again for his view (no, make that experience) on this...

Old
10-24-2012, 04:20 PM
zx81

57-57-50-50-50-50

That would be my proposal if I was the NHLPA.
That wouldn't be accepted but at least they would speak the "same language".

While I blame the owners for this mess, the players just can't win so they should at least limit the losses.

Old
10-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsey View Post
I think that was a poor example. Players are pushed to play physical by their coaches, owners do not have someone above telling them to sign more ridiculous contracts.
Really Owners giving contracts now?

You gave me exactly the answer i was hoping for!!!

GM gives ridiculous contract BECAUSE the Owners pushed them to be the best team in the league. To be the best, you got to hired the best and to hired the best, you got to give them the best offer POSSIBLE.

Owners do not gives contracts, that's the GM'S jobs.

Old
10-24-2012, 04:21 PM
RedWingsNow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Maybe not?!!!

Bring in Mike Modano again for his view (no, make that experience) on this...

Mike Modano lost.

What if these players win?

Old
10-24-2012, 04:22 PM
HawkeyLife07

This is me whenever I start thinking about the lockout...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0hOf...endscreen&NR=1

Old
10-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
"Someone else" being another owner. Bettman's strategy was a lockout from the very beginning, knowing that he should have declared it in June before the July 1st frenzy. But no, he let all the owners sign a bunch of ridiculous contracts and hes now trying to get money back in their pockets. It's wrong.
You realize that you can't declare a lockout until the CBA is up right? And you realize that the previous CBA was not up until September? And you realize that the NHL asked the NHLPA to maintain last year's cap for this off season to prevent exactly what happened this off season, but the NHLPA refused? And you realize that Bettman can not tell GMs to limit their offers to free agents? If you are going to post your opinions on the issues, then at least have a reasonable grasp of the issues themselves.

Old
10-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Deebo

Quote:
It's the principle, however, that the PA is sticking too.
So it's a factor in these negotiations.

And the players obviously knew they weren't just going to immediately give up 50/50./
Players never got the face value of the contract over the last CBA, The amount a player received was always subject to escrow and a true-up to HRR split that was stipulated in the CBA. They want to change the rules and take out linkage to earn what the face value of the deal is regardless of which way revenues go.

They are within their rights to try but the owners are also within their right to try and lower the players share of HRR.

Both sides want more money, that's really all there is to it, but to try and characterize the PA's stance moral or principled is wrong in my opinion.

Old
10-24-2012, 04:24 PM
RedWingsNow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
57-57-50-50-50-50

That would be my proposal if I was the NHLPA.
That wouldn't be accepted but at least they would speak the "same language".

While I blame the owners for this mess, the players just can't win so they should at least limit the losses.
I wouldn't go down that fast.

I'd go with 1.87 Billions, 1,87 Billion. 1.87 Billion. until we hit 50 percent. At that point, I take 50 percent. And not before.

Also, I would demand 33 percent of any expansion fees.
Also, UFA at 5 years or 26. RFA after entry level.

Old
W75

vCash: 626
Quote:
... and did Fehr actually say "the longer we wait, the better the owners' offer will get?" srsly?

That's just some great stuff right there...
Wow yeah. Funny as hell. Like no one ever tried to do that?
I'd laugh me ass off, but then realize how long this will last if he's really serious. Not so funny anymore.

Old
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Red herring.

The owners might show restraint while preparing for a new economic system isn't collusion.
People are pretending it is, after the fact, so they can justify the owners' stupid behavior.

IE- owners overspend then try to get it back with a lockout
There's very few stupid contracts out there right now, maybe 15 - 20. (pre-lockout II it was likely 150 or so)

The other 725 +/- appear to be just fine.

Old
10-24-2012, 04:25 PM
RedWingsNow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
Players never got the face value of the contract over the last CBA, The amount a player received was always subject to escrow and a true-up to HRR split that was stipulated in the CBA. They want to change the rules and take out linkage to earn what the face value of the deal is regardless of which way revenues go.

They are within their rights to try but the owners are also within their right to try and lower the players share of HRR.

Both sides want more money, that's really all there is to it, but to try and characterize the PA's stance moral or principled is wrong in my opinion.
I don't say that they are principled, in the moral sense of the world.

But everyone has their principles. The owners have their 50 percent principle.

The owners have their linkage principle.

Old
10-24-2012, 04:26 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Can someone clarify something else:

I had been reading yesterday that apparently it is the NHLPA and not the NHL that signs off on the raising of the cap? As an example the latest push to $70 mil was approved through the NHLPA, not the NHL? So all these summer huge contracts... were set in motion by approval by the NHLPA to raise the cap knowing the CBA was about to be re-negotiated?

Old
Leaf_Crazy

Its going to be a fair deal (What the owners have offered)

or

Both sides are going to lose.

Old
Milhouse40

Quote:
We do agree those contracts are ridiculous and have to stop, but to say that the owners are trying to stop them while the players are fighting to still be able to get them is simply not true.
Well, the NHL asked for a 5 years maximum terms.
NHL asked for a rules against the frontloading

That will prevent any kind of ridiculous contract.

NHLPA cried like babies about that and said it wasn't fair.....so......

Old
RedWingsNow*

Quote:
There's very few stupid contracts out there right now, maybe 15 - 20. (pre-lockout II it was likely 150 or so)

The other 725 +/- appear to be just fine.
That is totally beside the point.

Old
10-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Tra La La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick City View Post
Might as well say this in the first page of this thread, the only realistic hope now is a moderate player coup against Fehr or action by the moderate owners on the NHL side. The hardliners aren't going to budge.
The moderate owners got Bettman to make last tuesdays offer. Now the Hawks will direct the NHL's bargaining. Moderation failed.

Old
10-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Mike Modano lost.

What if these players win?
The NHL becomes a 12 team league again?

(and yes, I realize that would be a positive to you, but the super-ultra-vast-majority of hockey fans DO NOT want that)

Old
RedWingsNow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
Really Owners giving contracts now?

You gave me exactly the answer i was hoping for!!!

GM gives ridiculous contract BECAUSE the Owners pushed them to be the best team in the league. To be the best, you got to hired the best and to hired the best, you got to give them the best offer POSSIBLE.

Owners do not gives contracts, that's the GM'S jobs.
Maybe the owners should lock out the GMS!

Old
Iggy77

Quote:
Red herring.

The owners might show restraint while preparing for a new economic system isn't collusion.
People are pretending it is, after the fact, so they can justify the owners' stupid behavior.

IE- owners overspend then try to get it back with a lockout
Maybe they overspent and are trying to get some of it back but wanting owners to work together to artificially lower contract offers to players is collusion and Fehr took the MLB owners to court over it. No way will the NHL risk that.

Even if owners are somehow legally thrifty, players would get 57% regardless so it doesn't matter what contracts are handed out, we'd be in this mess regardless.

Old
10-24-2012, 04:29 PM
meedle

vCash: 3775
Quote:
We do agree those contracts are ridiculous and have to stop, but to say that the owners are trying to stop them while the players are fighting to still be able to get them is simply not true.
Didn't the NHLPA reject all facets of the last NHL offer which includes the 5 year cap on contracts and how much they can go up on a yearly basis?

Well yes. I agree 5 yr is pretty strict and maybe 7 or 8 is better. But none the less. the NHL is trying to fix it while the NHLPA is trying to keep the status quo

Old
RedWingsNow*

Quote:
The NHL becomes a 12 team league again?

(and yes, I realize that would be a positive to you, but the super-ultra-vast-majority of hockey fans DO NOT want that)
When you want to have a real conversation with me, let me know.

Old
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
Is it really just hard to understand? They just got the numbers wrong. Linkage IS good, as it does give cost certainty. With 50/50 under the last CBA, a LOT more teams would be in the black or significantly further in the black.

The problem is linkage was based on all the teams combined income, the outlier's on the high end and low end is what really screwed the system.
Isn't that what I'm saying?

50% share and the level of RS won't help the bottom tier. The floor is still too high. Instead of dealing with revenue disparity, the solution that resulted forced higher costs on the teams least able to afford it while lowering it for the rich teams (who have pocketed greater profits). You don't solve revenue disparity by making it more expensive for the weak.

Cost certainty in the case of the expired CBA was that it was certainly going to cost the weakest teams a lot more [than they could afford].

Old
Bologna 1

Fehr is ****ing ********. in all honesty, this lockout is NOTHING like the one in 04-05. completely different issues at hand. his logic of wait it out and the deal will get better wont work this time me thinks. nor should it work, **** him. i wish some crazed fan somehow walked by him someplace and spit right in his face.

Old
10-24-2012, 04:30 PM
zx81

Quote:

I'd go with 1.87 Billions, 1,87 Billion. 1.87 Billion. until we hit 50 percent. At that point, I take 50 percent. And not before.
But again you wouldn't speak the same language.
The NHLPA can't make a delinked proposal.

Old
10-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Chelios

Quote:

Also, I would demand 33 percent of any expansion fees.
Also, UFA at 5 years or 26. RFA after entry level.
Then I guess the NHL would not be meeting with you either. Even if you want to make the case that in the offseason an unlinked deal is a reasonable solution, the fact is that now it is not. We can argue about how much damage has been done thus far due to the lockout, but you cannot tell me that there hasn't been at least some damage. That is why a delinked proposal, guaranteeing the players a certain $ amount, is completely unreasonable now (even if it could be argued that it wasn't before). That is why the league is refusing to meet with the PA. They keep submitting proposals with a set $ amount guaranteed to them, and that is just not going to fly since we won't know what the financial damage is from the lockout. There is no way the league will even entertain the idea of a proposal that is not linked to revenues now that the lockout has begun.

Closed Thread