HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Thread - Waiting on the World to Change (Mod Warning in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Scurr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I in the Eye View Post
For me, a pissed off, motivated Luongo is a real scary, dangerous weapon to have...
I feel like a big, young, athletic, even keeled redhead has proven to be a dangerous weapon and deserves the net. He also wants to be on this team, I kinda like players that want to be here.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
How does adding yet another third line winger (something we already have Higgins, Hansen, Raymond, as well as probably Kassian for), along with a prospect who was deemed to be a future good 4th liner, and some draft picks help? I understand that a 1st round pick in a deep draft is a valuable asset, but we are trading Roberto Luongo, not Jonas Hiller. Luongo is worth a hell of a lot more than that and we should be plugging holes, not overloading certain areas.
I'm just saying people have wildly different expations for a return. Here's the chart:

y2kcanucks
-
-
-
Most Canucks fans
-
Cynical Canucks fans
-
-
-
-
Reasonable Leafs/Oilers Fans
-
Non-Partisan Fans
-
-
-
-
- Average Leafs/Oilers fan

It will just be very interesting to find out what the return actually is.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I feel like a big, young, athletic, even keeled redhead has proven to be a dangerous weapon and deserves the net. He also wants to be on this team, I kinda like players that want to be here.
This all started with "Whatever's best for the team" & now he doesn't wanna be here? I guess I shouldn't listen to his interviews were he says he loves this city, great organization & respects his teammates.

Its also nice to know YOU'RE wanted, something Luongo probably didn't feel when he got the boot from the net!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
I'm just saying people have wildly different expations for a return. Here's the chart:

y2kcanucks
-
-
-
Most Canucks fans
-
Cynical Canucks fans
-
-
-
-
Reasonable Leafs/Oilers Fans
-
Non-Partisan Fans
-
-
-
-
- Average Leafs/Oilers fan

It will just be very interesting to find out what the return actually is.
bwhahahahaha I like the chart

Old
10-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Why would the Oilers need Reimer? (course if it relieves them of the crap salary that Horcoff.....)

Here's my counteroffer....put Luongo on waivers and the Oilers claim him for free but of course still are stuck with Horcoff. Canucks better off in this deal (granted I wouldn't do it). Horcoff's contract is almost as bad as Komi's (only reason why his contract is "better" even though there's an extra year on it is the NMC comes off after one season). Horcoff or Komi? That's like being given the choice of execution - neither a desirable option.
If you read the post, you'd see that proposal was from an Oilers fan, on the Oilers' board. I think if the Oilers could make that deal they would though. Dubnyk is nothing special.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:29 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
If you read the post, you'd see that proposal was from an Oilers fan, on the Oilers' board. I think if the Oilers could make that deal they would though. Dubnyk is nothing special.
I did - that's why I found it strange. Sure Dubnyk is 'nothing special' but is Optimus Reimer really any better (look at the quality of the blueline in front of each goalie?) Certainly less proven.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Leafs fan just offered Kessel, Bozak, and Finn for Schneider, Jensen or Kassian, and Gaunce.

It would stink losing one of Kassian/Jensen, but I think I'd do it.

Sedins-Burrows
Booth Kesler-Kessel
Higgins-Bozak-Hansen
Raymond-Lapierre-Kassian/Jensen

Old
10-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
This all started with "Whatever's best for the team" & now he doesn't wanna be here? I guess I shouldn't listen to his interviews were he says he loves this city, great organization & respects his teammates.

Its also nice to know YOU'RE wanted, something Luongo probably didn't feel when he got the boot from the net!
What someone does and what they say can be two different things.

Was coming out and saying you're open to being traded in the media the best thing for the team?

Is someone that loves the team, organization, city and their teammates going to waive their no trade?

Schneider ended two seasons on the bench. He could have asked for a trade, instead he just kept showing up, playing great and eventually earned the net with his play.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:46 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Leafs fan just offered Kessel, Bozak, and Finn for Schneider, Jensen or Kassian, and Gaunce.

Sedins-Burrows
Booth Kesler-Kessel
Higgins-Bozak-Hansen
Holy crap. I do that if its Jensen and even then I'd throw in a first.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
What someone does and what they say can be two different things.

Was coming out and saying you're open to being traded in the media the best thing for the team?

Is someone that loves the team, organization, city and their teammates going to waive their no trade?

Schneider ended two seasons on the bench. He could have asked for a trade, instead he just kept showing up, playing great and eventually earned the net with his play.
If its the route the Franchise wants to take & its whats best for the team then I'd imagine he would. Why stay if you aren't the player the Franchise really wants to build upon?

Ended 2 seasons on the Bench? He end last season playing. I would think Schneider's demeanor had a lot to do with lack of experience, remaining years on a contract & realizing he would have his shot once this year was up.

On that Leafs offer:

How does getting ANOTHER shoot first player on the 2nd line really help? Theres only 1 puck on the ice...

Old
10-30-2012, 02:52 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:

Sedins-Burrows
Booth Kesler-Kessel
Higgins-Bozak-Hansen
I would do that trade. Would suck to lose Gaunce, but we're getting a sniper like Phil Kessel.

10-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Edler Von Gud

vCash: 1308
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:

Sedins-Burrows
Booth Kesler-Kessel
Higgins-Bozak-Hansen
so what's the plan? let Kesler and Kessel take turns skating into the zone to fire low percentage shots on net, or into defenders skates?

Old
10-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
so what's the plan? let Kesler and Kessel take turns skating into the zone to fire low percentage shots on net, or into defenders skates?
I'd put Kessel with the Sedins first of all.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Ditto. Best line in the league. Devastating on the PP.

Old
10-30-2012, 02:59 PM
dave babych returns

I don't think I'd make that deal. With Kessel's contract situation you might be looking at more or less nothing (within a couple of years) for a hugely valuable group of players.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Scurr

Quote:
If its the route the Franchise wants to take & its whats best for the team then I'd imagine he would. Why stay if you aren't the player the Franchise really wants to build upon?
Then don't you go to the organization with that? You don't see anything wrong with your franchise goalie on a 12 year deal coming out to the media open for a trade?

Quote:
Ended 2 seasons on the Bench? He end last season playing. I would think Schneider's demeanor had a lot to do with lack of experience, remaining years on a contract & realizing he would have his shot once this year was up.
You're right he only ended one season on the bench. I still feel like he could have asked for a trade and nobody would have blamed him, he was in his mid 20's with a starter with a 12 year contract in front of him. I give him credit for doing what was best for the organization rather than just saying he will.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Ditto. Best line in the league. Devastating on the PP.
In NHL 13 that might work but in real life you need someone to go get you the puck.

Also, Burrows is no enforcer but he's Mike Tyson compared to Phil Kessel, and who goes to the net?

Old
10-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Edler Von Gud

vCash: 1308
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
not sure how that marriage would work either. Kessel likes to play off the rush and isn't responsible defensively like Burrows is. Sedins like to play a tactical cycle style that requires a third member of their line to be a strong forechecker and puck retriever. Kessel is a good goal scorer, but not sure if he would be a good compliment to the Sedins or Kesler. We need a Burrows with better finishing ability for the Sedins, and a Booth with better passing....that can pass on the 2nd line.

If we could flip Kessel for Perry sign me up.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

Sedins-Burrows
Booth Kesler-Kessel
Higgins-Bozak-Hansen

I know I will get ripped for this, but I would not do that deal. What's worth more? A one dimensional scorer or a legit starter in his prime. What helps you win more games?

Last year, Kessel lit the league on fire, but what was the gripe? Goaltending. The Leafs then proceeded to draft 5th overall...

Let's not even get into the playoffs where we have seen that the first type of player to get cancelled out is the pure skill player. Bigger, stronger, better board work, more pressure on opposing Ds down low, that's how you win games in the post-season. This is going backwards.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:09 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
I don't think I'd make that deal. With Kessel's contract situation you might be looking at more or less nothing (within a couple of years) for a hugely valuable group of players.
True, but if Kessel's contract lasted longer than a couple of years people would be complaining its a terrible contract because of its length. #cantwin

Old
10-30-2012, 03:09 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I did - that's why I found it strange. Sure Dubnyk is 'nothing special' but is Optimus Reimer really any better (look at the quality of the blueline in front of each goalie?) Certainly less proven.
In my book they're pretty equal. Dubnyk has slow legs and Reimer has an awful glove hand. Both of them are probably never going to be high end starters and will be remembered as back-ups when all is said and done in my opinion. I was just using that as an example of just how far apart fans are when it comes to Luongo's value...

Old
10-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Then don't you go to the organization with that? You don't see anything wrong with your franchise goalie on a 12 year deal coming out to the media open for a trade?

You're right he only ended one season on the bench. I still feel like he could have asked for a trade and nobody would have blamed him, he was in his mid 20's with a starter with a 12 year contract in front of him. I give him credit for doing what was best for the organization rather than just saying he will.
It could have been handled a lot better but so could this ENTIRE goaltending situation! I don't see the point of getting on just Luongo is going to help or solve anything.

He could of but unlike Hodgson I think Schneider understands the value of learning your craft from a veteran.

Nice little dig at Luongo at the end... WHO could have seen that coming?

Sometimes I feel Pauser had a complete mental breakdown that aligned with one of Luongo's breakdowns (think Freaky Friday level of strangeness) & he produced 2 posters with 2 complete opposite views (You & y2k) & now you just get on "each other".

Old
10-30-2012, 03:18 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
True, but if Kessel's contract lasted longer than a couple of years people would be complaining its a terrible contract because of its length. #cantwin
I wouldn't be, because like I just said his contract is too short and offers little security (the implication being that to re-sign him you might need to pay far more.. the further implication being that he is at least worth his cap hit right now).

So uhh, that doesn't really have anything to do with my post.

But you're correct that you can find someone to complain about nearly anything.

PS out of context twitter hashtags suck.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I know I will get ripped for this, but I would not do that deal. What's worth more? A one dimensional scorer or a legit starter in his prime. What helps you win more games?

Last year, Kessel lit the league on fire, but what was the gripe? Goaltending. The Leafs then proceeded to draft 5th overall...

Let's not even get into the playoffs where we have seen that the first type of player to get cancelled out is the pure skill player. Bigger, stronger, better board work, more pressure on opposing Ds down low, that's how you win games in the post-season. This is going backwards.
Agreed. My biggest fear of acquiring a player like Kessel is watching him get shutdown in the playoffs with the twins. Much rather we flip a package like that to ANA for a guy like Perry.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Sometimes I feel Pauser had a complete mental breakdown that aligned with one of Luongo's breakdowns (think Freaky Friday level of strangeness) & he produced 2 posters with 2 complete opposite views (You & y2k) & now you just get on "each other".
I don't think that's fair. I give Luongo credit for all the good things but choose not to ignore his faults.
In Pauser's mind Luongo can do no harm.

I hate that help emoticon, seems like something people use when they're having trouble making their point.

Last edited by Scurr: 10-30-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old
10-30-2012, 03:33 PM
14s incisor

Quote:
In NHL 13 that might work but in real life you need someone to go get you the puck.

Also, Burrows is no enforcer but he's Mike Tyson compared to Phil Kessel, and who goes to the net?
This. People need to stop taking Burrows off that line. Canucks need to improve the 2nd line, not the 1st.

Closed Thread