HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Thread - Waiting on the World to Change (Mod Warning in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
I want to see the Sedins retire in Canuck colours, I can't see it any other way.
Pretty much how I feel.

Old
11-01-2012, 05:12 PM
kanuck87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
We'll see how they do in the two seasons (if this season does happen) before their contracts are up. If they continue slumping and continue their inconsistent play in the playoffs, we would be better off spending that $12.2M elsewhere.
I can see them re-signing for below market value when their current contracts are up. Say they regress to being 70-point players by the end of the contract, if they're willing to give us a discount and sign for 4.5-5 million x 2 years each (under the previous CBA numbers), then I would totally be up for bringing them back. That's pretty much what we're paying for our current 2nd line anyways (Kesler/Booth).

Old
11-01-2012, 05:14 PM
vanwest

Quote:
I want to see the Sedins retire in Canuck colours, I can't see it any other way.
Yep. It's not often anymore that players play their whole career with one team. I hope that the Sedins are the exception.

Old
11-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Take the Sedins away and we're the Toronto Maple Leafs. That cap space would get us a Tim Connolly and David Booth...

Ummm not quite the Leafs. We still have Kesler, a solid D corps, and Schneider. These things TO does not have. They are stronger on the wings too, with Kessel there...

I'd still feel more confident in this team's ability to stay in games, than I would the leafs. And when you can reduce the margins like that, it only takes a good amount of effort from one or two players each game to pull out wins. In contrast, the Leafs can't hold games to a stand-still like that, so their margin for error is a lot less.

Old
11-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Steveorama

Quote:
We* If they continue slumping and continue their inconsistent play in the playoffs, we would be better off spending that $12.2M elsewhere.
Yup, if you have the cap space, it is just a question of going to Wal Mart and buying 2 Art Ross winners, right?

Old
11-01-2012, 05:55 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveorama View Post
Yup, if you have the cap space, it is just a question of going to Wal Mart and buying 2 Art Ross winners, right?
Chinese hockey players?

Old
11-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Steveorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
Chinese hockey players?
At roll-back prices, to boot!

Old
11-01-2012, 06:02 PM
stevecanuck16

vCash: 50
Sedins are the best players in franchise history and should be treated as such. Anyone wishing them to go elsewhere is just perpetuating the stereotype of the Canucks having an awful fanbase. And we do. Many of our fans are far too harsh on our players, often wishing misfortune on them before they've even left the team. You'd think they never heard of the power of positive thinking.

As bad as other fanbases treat the Canucks, our fans still top it everytime.

Old
11-01-2012, 06:03 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
As much as I love you taking a shot at Y2k, you're out to lunch if you think spare parts and b prospects should land Roberto Luongo.
I'd deal Luongo for that if TO chucked in 2 or 3 1sts.

Old
11-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
I won't settle for anything less than a klondike bar for Luongo.

Old
11-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Ummm not quite the Leafs. We still have Kesler, a solid D corps, and Schneider. These things TO does not have. They are stronger on the wings too, with Kessel there...

I'd still feel more confident in this team's ability to stay in games, than I would the leafs. And when you can reduce the margins like that, it only takes a good amount of effort from one or two players each game to pull out wins. In contrast, the Leafs can't hold games to a stand-still like that, so their margin for error is a lot less.
The Leafs would have the much better forward corps, we would have a better defense and goaltending. Though possibly not much gap there if they acquire Luongo.

Our forward corps without the Sedins would be dreadful. Not a playoff team IMO - just like the Leafs...

Old
11-01-2012, 06:51 PM
kanuck87

With regards to the Sedins retiring as Canucks, it's not so cut and dry as that. A lot of people though Naslund would/should retire as a Canuck as well, but it's funny how a couple of less-than-stellar seasons plus getting up there in age can change that.

If the Sedins continue to produce, then I'm happy to have them around, but I'm not going to be emotionally attached to them. It's just business. I want a cup more than I want the Sedins to be life-long Canucks. Hopefully, I get to see both.If I only get to pick one, I'm definitely picking the cup, even if it's without the Sedins.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
With regards to the Sedins retiring as Canucks, it's not so cut and dry as that. A lot of people though Naslund would/should retire as a Canuck as well, but it's funny how fans turning on him after a couple poor seasons can change that.
I feel that is more correct.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:18 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I feel that is more correct.
I hate that anytime someone significant leaves, it's construed as "we turned on him". He was 35, and showing signs of decline. He retired one season after that, before he even finished out his contract with NYR, so that about says a lot about how shrewd it was to part ways with Naslund when we did.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:23 PM
SunshineRays

Pass it to Bulis ‏@passittobulis

Quote:
In Abbotsford tonight: Dave Nonis, Brian Burke, Laurence Gilman, Stan Smyl. Probably just a coincidence, right?
Lol. No Mike Gillis? I bet he was told not to come just in case fists fly. "What's this new back diving clause Burkie?" Pow!

Old
11-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
The Leafs would have the much better forward corps, we would have a better defense and goaltending. Though possibly not much gap there if they acquire Luongo.

Our forward corps without the Sedins would be dreadful. Not a playoff team IMO - just like the Leafs...

I wasn't assuming Lu would be a Leaf. That changes things. Without him in TO, I like our team more. Even with him there you could make a case.

The forward corpse wouldn't be bad at all. Kesler is the only 1C of the two teams, and some west teams don't even have a similar calibre player. PHX for instance, doesn't have a lot of horses at F, they are built on D and G. As is NSH... We're talking about a 2 time PT winning team struggling to make 8th by just removing the twins... I don't see it. The team is too well built to not be in the hunt at all.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I wasn't assuming Lu would be a Leaf. That changes things. Without him in TO, I like our team more. Even with him there you could make a case.

The forward corpse wouldn't be bad at all. Kesler is the only 1C of the two teams, and some west teams don't even have a similar calibre player. PHX for instance, doesn't have a lot of horses at F, they are built on D and G. As is NSH... We're talking about a 2 time PT winning team struggling to make 8th by just removing the twins... I don't see it. The team is too well built to not be in the hunt at all.
They might be able to squeak into a playoff spot. Not contenders in any way though.

Booth Kesler Burrows
Higgins Schroeder Hansen
Raymond Lapierre Kassian
Pinizzoto Malhotra Weise

That's dreadful IMO. A poor 1st line, extremely thin up the middle, not enough secondary scoring and no PP to speak of.

There's cap space to try and bring in upgrades but free agency in recent years has been bleek. This team lives and dies with the Sedins.

Old
11-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Wisp

Lol, the forward "corpse."

Even if we were without the Sedins and they had Luongo, I think we still have a littler more depth at every position to edge them out.

Old
11-01-2012, 08:09 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
If this core runs out of puff and it's obviously going no where I'd get mercenary and deal them. He'll I'd deal everybody who'd go and load up on firsts. If we can't win we might as well

a) send them somewhere to get a shot at the cup

b) get what we can to speed up our rebuild, I don't want to hang around like zombie-Calgary or tank forever like TO/Edmonton. Blow it up hard, abuse the cap system and eat people's bad contracts for picks/prospects, get a high pick or two from rebuilding team suckage and use the heap of 1sts from trades, then pray the drafting improves.

I'd be happy to bring any of them back as UFAs though to finish out their careers, but in this cut throat age of the cap you need to put sentiment second.

Old
11-01-2012, 09:07 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Those are both simply opinions. I don't see how basically getting a PPG in the regular season is "slumping" and if you're reffering to the LA series as "inconsistent", Daniel missed over half the series and Henrik was basically on his own. 2011 run, The Sedin's played well up until the Finals, but honestly; who played consistently well in the Cup Finals?
Actually I think the 2012 playoffs you can't really judge Daniel at all. Henrik played well though and was probably the only forward to bother showing up.

In the 2011 playoffs I felt Henrik was only good for 1 series (SJ) and Daniel was good for 1.5 series (SJ and half the Chicago series).

11-01-2012, 09:09 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Pass it to Bulis ‏@passittobulis

Lol. No Mike Gillis? I bet he was told not to come just in case fists fly. "What's this new back diving clause Burkie?" Pow!
I guess Gillis doesn't need to evaluate Jake Gardiner anymore, and it's just a chance for Gillman and Smyl to see how Gardiner is as well as talk to Burke and Nonis?

Old
11-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
They might be able to squeak into a playoff spot. Not contenders in any way though.

Booth Kesler Burrows
Higgins Schroeder Hansen
Raymond Lapierre Kassian
Pinizzoto Malhotra Weise

That's dreadful IMO. A poor 1st line, extremely thin up the middle, not enough secondary scoring and no PP to speak of.

There's cap space to try and bring in upgrades but free agency in recent years has been bleek. This team lives and dies with the Sedins.

They might be able to squeek into the playoffs --> That's all I was really contending. Glad we agree. They would be bubble team.

You like my spelling mistakes Wispy? I make many.

Old
11-01-2012, 09:22 PM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Marlies roster:

Ashton - Colborne - Komarov
Hamilton - Kadri - Zigomanis
McKegg - Aucoin - Deschamps
D'amigo - Acton - Scott

Fraser - Holzer
Ranger - Blacker
Gardiner - Kostka

Scrivens

Some interesting B level prospects to watch for...and obviously Jake "the next Leaf HOFer/the next Scott Neidermayer" Gardiner.

Old
11-01-2012, 09:24 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
I guess Gillis doesn't need to evaluate Jake Gardiner anymore, and it's just a chance for Gillman and Smyl to see how Gardiner is as well as talk to Burke and Nonis?

Old
11-01-2012, 09:30 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
Marlies roster:

Ashton - Colborne - Komarov
Hamilton - Kadri - Zigomanis
McKegg - Aucoin - Deschamps
D'amigo - Acton - Scott

Fraser - Holzer
Ranger - Blacker
Gardiner - Kostka

Scrivens

Some interesting B level prospects to watch for...and obviously Jake "the next Leaf HOFer/the next Scott Neidermayer" Gardiner.
If you're going to bold McKegg and D'Amigo, I'd bold Nicolas Deschamps as well. His value is probably as a throw-in right now, but I liked this kid in junior. Maybe given another change of scenery he could develop into a Burrows type player when he was merely a 3rd liner?

Closed Thread