HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Thread - Waiting on the World to Change (Mod Warning in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Wisp

vCash: 500
And he could be posturing to put pressure on Eastern team.

Old
11-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
I think Mike would trade with a division rival. I think for a player of Luongo's caliber the price would be much steeper than normal though i.e. one of the big 4.

I'm not saying I think the Oilers should do it, I'm saying what I would speculate the asking price might be.

Old
11-03-2012, 03:52 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
And he could be posturing to put pressure on Eastern team.
Coulda, woulda, shoulda, doesn't matter. He said what he said. And what he says makes perfect sense.

11-03-2012, 03:53 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I think Mike would trade with a division rival. I think for a player of Luongo's caliber the price would be much steeper than normal though i.e. one of the big 4.

I'm not saying I think the Oilers should do it, I'm saying what I would speculate the asking price might be.
According to Botchford (I think it was?) or some Edmonton beat writer, Gillis asked for Jordan Eberle for Luongo. According to some people here it seems they would rather trade Luongo for Bozak than Luongo for Eberle just because it's Edmonton.

Old
11-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
So you're saying we can't play Eberle as the RW on the top PP unit with the Sedins? Uhh...I don't follow why you would think that.
Yeah why mess with somebody who already works well with the Sedins (take your pick - Kesler or Burrows). Kesler gets beaten up enough being around/or standing around the net; I'm sure a giant like Eberle would fair better.

Old
11-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Yakupov may not be as good as Bure but he's very Bure like. He's tearing up the KHL as an 18 year old.

Gillis would trade Kassian for Yakupov in a heartbeat. The only reason he hasn't targeted a player like Yakupov is because these players are untouchable...

Not the point. It's that Gillis is now apt to target Kassian _types_, not Yakupov _types_. He intends to change the dynamic of the team. It's clear to see.

Afinagenov looked like Bure too...

In any event, I value goaltending more and I wish to keep the best goaltending asset we have in-house.

Old
11-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Tiranis

I don't see it. If Gillis could get his hands on Yakupov-type or a Baertschi-type, he would take them and run. Just because he's trying to add some size and toughness to the team doesn't mean he thinks smaller, super-skilled, dynamic players are suddenly not suited for the Canucks.

Old
11-03-2012, 04:08 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Yeah why mess with somebody who already works well with the Sedins (take your pick - Kesler or Burrows). Kesler gets beaten up enough being around/or standing around the net; I'm sure a giant like Eberle would fair better.
I agree. Makes much more sense to allow Kesler who's body has broken down every year since being put in that position, than it would be to allow him to control the second PP unit (making that unit more dangerous) and not putting him in a position where he's going to take that constant beating.

Old
11-03-2012, 04:16 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Not the point. It's that Gillis is now apt to target Kassian _types_, not Yakupov _types_. He intends to change the dynamic of the team. It's clear to see.

Afinagenov looked like Bure too...

In any event, I value goaltending more and I wish to keep the best goaltending asset we have in-house.
You're right. Yakupov is just one of the top goal scorers in the KHL this year as an 18 year old rookie, and it's not like goal scoring has been a problem for the Canucks...especially in the playoffs. One goal per game should be plenty.

Old
11-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I don't see it. If Gillis could get his hands on Yakupov-type or a Baertschi-type, he would take them and run. Just because he's trying to add some size and toughness to the team doesn't mean he thinks smaller, super-skilled, dynamic players are suddenly not
suited for the Canucks.

I'm not saying to avoid all small-skill players at all costs. Their value to the team is different depending on the cost though...

The aesthetic comes down to cost. If the cost for Yakupov is Luongo, then yes, I agree. Go for it... Take it and run. Luongo is the superfluous asset, not Schneider. It's when the cost increases to instead include Schneider - then the type of asset absolutely matters because you have to be more discerning about the return.

If the cost increases, the type of return must be more exact.

Old
11-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
You're right. Yakupov is just one of the top goal scorers in the KHL this year as an 18 year old rookie, and it's not like goal scoring has been a problem for the Canucks...especially in the playoffs. One goal per game should be plenty.

I'm sure Yakupov would have scored 10+ goals in BOS last year. Would have made all the difference...

Old
11-03-2012, 04:44 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
I'm sure Yakupov would have scored 10+ goals in BOS last year. Would have made all the difference...
All I'm saying is that Yakupov is a dynamic offensive forward who would address a major need up front.

Old
11-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Edmonton with Eberle and with another goalie addresses their needs while allowing them to keep the players that make that team so dangerous.
Edmonton can go find a goalie somewhere else... can't we go find a forward somewhere else? This makes logical sense to you because you think the only we can find a 2nd line RW is through the Oilers. That's not the case.

I like the sounds of leaving the Oilers with a big hole in net and finding a winger from within or through the Lu or another deal. You're so worried about Edmonton doing that, isn't it what we should be trying to do?

Quote:
Schneider's 0.960 PKSVP is much much more unsustainable than a 18% shooting percentage.
We've been through this, overall save percentage is a better indicator of future performance than even strength save percentage. That means that despite the unusually high PK percentage Schneider is likely to stop roughly the same percentage of shots overall. A .937 isn't likely but I think he can be amongst the leaders for a lot of years. Like I said earlier, I'm surprised more Canuck fans aren't excited about him.

Quote:
According to some people here it seems they would rather trade Luongo for Bozak than Luongo for Eberle just because it's Edmonton.
That's exactly what we've been saying

Last edited by Scurr: 11-03-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old
11-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
According to Botchford (I think it was?) or some Edmonton beat writer, Gillis asked for Jordan Eberle for Luongo. According to some people here it seems they would rather trade Luongo for Bozak than Luongo for Eberle just because it's Edmonton.
Edmonton right now is a team that whether they like it or not, have been vastly inferior to Vancouver in performance. Goaltending is a huge question for them and they improve a whole lot by adding Luongo. And as much as Luongo helps them, Eberle helps us just as much solidifying an already good top 6 forwards.

By principle, if my team's elite goalie is expendable and a division rival offers a quality forward for him and a team in the other conference offers picks and prospects there's no chance in hell I'm not taking the quality forward.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1815
If I were the GM, I would trade Luongo to whoever had the best offer, regardless of division. Our goal is to win, not make other teams lose.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
If I were the GM, I would trade Luongo to whoever had the best offer, regardless of division. Our goal is to win, not make other teams lose.
Just as long as it's Luongo going there and they are paying an exorbitant amount in return.

Old
11-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Depends on what the "best offer is". If it's trash (eg., getting a guy like Komi or Horcoff in the package), then it's best not trade (as putting Luongo on waivers would be even a better option than taking on those contracts).

Old
11-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Just as long as it's Luongo going there and they are paying an exorbitant amount in return.
Yes. Eberle would qualify for me but I don't see it happening. I said earlier we shouldn't trade Lu there but that's assuming they aren't going to make a trade like that. Lu isn't going to Edmonton, why are we talking about this?

I don't think Gagner, MPS, 1st is better than Bozak, Frattin, 1st, definitely not enough to make me trade him in division.

Last edited by Scurr: 11-03-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old
11-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Yes. Eberle would qualify for me but I don't see it happening.
Neither do I. That said, I wonder if EDM values Yakupov the same as they do Eberle? 6m contract. More tenure. It seems that they should value Eberle more.

If that's the case, MG asks for Eberle only to settle on Yakupov. Worth less, but not so much less so as to not bring value to VAN by dealing Lu there.

Old
11-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Depends on what the "best offer is". If it's trash (eg., getting a guy like Komi or Horcoff in the package), then it's best not trade (as putting Luongo on waivers would be even a better option than taking on those contracts).
Yeah, of course.

Old
11-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Neither do I. That said, I wonder if EDM values Yakupov the same as they do Eberle? 6m contract. More tenure. It seems that they should value Eberle more.

If that's the case, MG asks for Eberle only to settle on Yakupov. Worth less, but not so much less so as to not bring value to VAN by dealing Lu there.
I think for sure Eberle is valued more.

I also think that's a mistake on their part and would love if Gillis exploited it.

Old
11-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
I think for sure Eberle is valued more.

I also think that's a mistake on their part and would love if Gillis exploited it.

Maybe he's trying to play off that perception by asking for Eberle first... With intention to eventually settle on Yakupov?

But then again, they could have traded the 1st overall pick at the draft to Gillis if that were the case.

Old
11-03-2012, 06:35 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
How many NHL playoff goals did he score?

Old
11-03-2012, 07:02 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
If we're trading Luongo to Edmonton, I sure as hell am asking for something that weakens them tremendously.

Don't want to give us your big 5?

Give us Klefbom, 1st, +.

While they might still be stacked in the top 6 and a lot better in net, their defense will still suck.

Old
11-03-2012, 07:48 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

If Bozak is so bad, shouldn't Kulemin be the better option? Didn't he play centre in the past too?

Closed Thread