HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Luongo Thread - Waiting on the World to Change (Mod Warning in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Cogburn
Trixie Hobbitses

vCash: 50
Work out a three way trade with Toronto if Anaheim doesn't think they can sign Getzlaf and Perry (ie take a package of futures and regift it to the Ducks if that's what they think could work):

Toronto gets:
Luongo
Raymond

Vancouver gets:
Getzlaf
Perry

Anaheim gets:
Jensen
Kadri
Gaunce/Connauton/Tanev/Schroeder
Blacker
Kulemin/Bozak
Booth
Vans 1st
Tors 2nd
Vans 2nd

That's two B+ prospects in Jensen and Kadri, what ever you consider Tanev/Gaunce/Connauton/Schroeder and Blacker to be (B-?), two top/middle six forwards in the position being lost, and a gift back of early round picks. We don't completely deplete our youth as it is supplemented by the return from Luongo. Sub in a defender from Toronto or our own for Booth or Bozak at their request...but a top six of Sedin-Sedin-Burrows and Kesler-Getzlaf-Perry would be enough to terrify the low scoring west, or to switch it up and have Daniel-Getzlaf-Burrows and Kesler-Henrik-Perry to spread the chaos out.

EDIT: For Toronto fans in attendance, it's Kadri, Kulemin/Bozak, Blacker and a 2nd for Lu and Raymond...plenty of Leafs fans say that's not bad for value, that's why I didn't address the Leafs directly before this.

Sigh...only in my dreams...

Old
11-05-2012, 06:42 PM
sully1410

Can Gagner play wing? If so, I'd be game. I also think his production might have something to do with his lack of line mates, but you can't quote me on that. He might have played some of the season with Eberle and Hall, in which case...that changes things. I'm pretty sure he played with Smyth and Hemsky.

I think he could definitely be a good return, however they would need to add, and is be ok with MPS here. I truly believe that one of Vancouver's greatest strengths is how to develop players, and he would be awesome once developed.

Kadri would as well.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:44 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
Making them relevant makes them a playoff team, do you know what teams make in terms of money when they host playoff games? alot, even if its just two games! and im sure it would be more than 2 games

on top of that, the experience these guys would get reaching the playoffs is huge. even a short playoff run is equivalent to a season in terms of growth for these young future stars. the playoff world is a whole other world

not saying thats the reason they should but its another thing to consider

will they even be able to afford to fill their defense and goaltender position if they dont get rid of some of these forwards anyway? u cant have it all
I don't think Edmonton getting Luongo automatically makes them a playoff team, right on the bubble I'd say, since their defense is suspect. On the otherhand, Luongo makes Toronto a playoff team unless Kessel/Lupul choke offensively because Toronto does have a solid enough defense to make the playoffs. To have a playoff run with that defense is discussion for another day.

Some playoff experience is good, but I still don't think it's worth trading Yakupov for Luongo just to play 4-5 games in the playoffs. I agree Edmonton has to fill their defense and goalie positions somehow, and their top stars may be one way to do so, unless Free Agents all of a sudden flee there.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:46 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Can Gagner play wing? If so, I'd be game. I also think his production might have something to do with his lack of line mates, but you can't quote me on that. He might have played some of the season with Eberle and Hall, in which case...that changes things. I'm pretty sure he played with Smyth and Hemsky.

I think he could definitely be a good return, however they would need to add, and is be ok with MPS here. I truly believe that one of Vancouver's greatest strengths is how to develop players, and he would be awesome once developed.

Kadri would as well.
I don't understand why we would acquire Gagner, and then place him on wing. Why would we want another second/third line tweener? We have plenty of those, plus the Luongo trade is suppose to help fill needs, I don't see what need moving Gagner to the wing fills.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:48 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Work out a three way trade with Toronto if Anaheim doesn't think they can sign Getzlaf and Perry (ie take a package of futures and regift it to the Ducks if that's what they think could work):

Toronto gets:
Luongo
Raymond

Vancouver gets:
Getzlaf
Perry

Anaheim gets:
Jensen
Kadri
Gaunce/Connauton/Tanev/Schroeder
Blacker
Kulemin/Bozak
Booth
Vans 1st
Tors 2nd
Vans 2nd

That's two B+ prospects in Jensen and Kadri, what ever you consider Tanev/Gaunce/Connauton/Schroeder and Blacker to be (B-?), two top/middle six forwards in the position being lost, and a gift back of early round picks. We don't completely deplete our youth as it is supplemented by the return from Luongo. Sub in a defender from Toronto or our own for Booth or Bozak at their request...but a top six of Sedin-Sedin-Burrows and Kesler-Getzlaf-Perry would be enough to terrify the low scoring west, or to switch it up and have Daniel-Getzlaf-Burrows and Kesler-Henrik-Perry to spread the chaos out.

EDIT: For Toronto fans in attendance, it's Kadri, Kulemin/Bozak, Blacker and a 2nd for Lu and Raymond...plenty of Leafs fans say that's not bad for value, that's why I didn't address the Leafs directly before this.

Sigh...only in my dreams...
Add Kassian going to ANA, even then...

Say it happened, I'd put Kesler on the 3rd line and we'd be like the Penguisn when they won their Cup with three star centers (Malkin, Crosby, Staal).

Old
11-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Pseudonymous

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
I don't think Edmonton getting Luongo automatically makes them a playoff team, right on the bubble I'd say, since their defense is suspect. On the otherhand, Luongo makes Toronto a playoff team unless Kessel/Lupul choke offensively because Toronto does have a solid enough defense to make the playoffs. To have a playoff run with that defense is discussion for another day.

Some playoff experience is good, but I still don't think it's worth trading Yakupov for Luongo just to play 4-5 games in the playoffs. I agree Edmonton has to fill their defense and goalie positions somehow, and their top stars may be one way to do so, unless Free Agents all of a sudden flee there.
I think with Luongo and his consistent season play (minus his slow starts) and if theres a lockout for the full year, their stars might be 2 years older than when they started last season, so I do think they would make the playoffs

and assuming this year is a writeoff, they'd also have schultz with another year of experience under his belt, who would have already been nhl ready this season

Old
11-05-2012, 06:52 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:
I think with Luongo and his consistent season play (minus his slow starts) and if theres a lockout for the full year, their stars might be 2 years older than when they started last season, so I do think they would make the playoffs

and assuming this year is a writeoff, they'd also have schultz with another year of experience under his belt, who would have already been nhl ready this season
And yet Edmonton's defence still needs work.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
And yet Edmonton's defence still needs work.
hah yeah course but theyre a playoff team. if theyre that close and just lacking on d, i think they'd go out and make a trade or pickup a free agent veteran d, etc - right now there is no point because they have bigger holes

when you have luongo and that offense, i dont think it'd be very hard to patch together a much better defense, they would still have assets to part with and picks

Old
11-05-2012, 06:57 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:
hah yeah course but theyre a playoff team. if theyre that close and just lacking on d, i think they'd go out and make a trade or pickup a free agent veteran d, etc - right now there is no point because they have bigger holes
If the Oilers were considering trading Yakupov, they'd trade to fix their defense, and then possible move guys like MPS etc for Bernier, Holtby etc. I just don't think having Luongo is worth it, yet.

Old
11-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Cogburn
Trixie Hobbitses

Quote:

Say it happened, I'd put Kesler on the 3rd line and we'd be like the Penguisn when they won their Cup with three star centers (Malkin, Crosby, Staal).
Actually i was thinking Edler....I know, I know....we pull out a few assets and center it around Edler++ for Getzlaf and Perry after the Lu trade.

Old
11-05-2012, 07:47 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Actually i was thinking Edler....I know, I know....we pull out a few assets and center it around Edler++ for Getzlaf and Perry after the Lu trade.
Getzlaf and Perry could be UFAs as early as this summer. Too big a risk if they walk.

And just for fun...

I'd never trade Kassian. Put him with Getz and Perry. Dirtiest line in league

Old
11-05-2012, 07:50 PM
PoolChamp

I can't believe so many of you even consider guys like Hemsky and Gagner. The last thing this team needs is soft injury prone perimeter players..

Old
11-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Socratic Method Man

vCash: 622
Quote:

Somehow make the deal without giving up Kass or Jensen

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Jensen Getzlaf Perry
Burrows Kesler Booth
Higgins Lapierre Hansen

*passes out from all blood going to erection*

Old
11-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
Somehow make the deal without giving up Kass or Jensen

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Jensen Getzlaf Perry
Burrows Kesler Booth
Higgins Lapierre Hansen

*passes out from all blood going to erection*
Is that even possible cap wise? At first glance, not a chance. Though there is always ballard but then we'd start to get real damn thin on D when the injuries come as they always do

Old
11-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Socratic Method Man

vCash: 622
Quote:
Is that even possible cap wise? At first glance, not a chance. Though there is always ballard but then we'd start to get real damn thin on D when the injuries come as they always do
Not after the summer, if Perrry and Getzlaf get what I think they will be getting.

Then again, a lot of this also depends on what the cap is going to be set at, and if there are rollback etc.

I think if we could ice that forward group, we could put in our AHL defence and still win games.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:14 PM
SunshineRays

Don Cherry weighed in on Luongo (and other topics): http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-l...ckout_fan_590/

Lol, at least he didn't call Luongo an 'escape goat' again. Luongos twitter account got a kick out of that.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
I think if we could ice that forward group, we could put in our AHL defence and still win games.
Winning regular season games isn't a problem with this team; you aren't going to win too many post-season games with a suspect blueline.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:51 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Not after the summer, if Perrry and Getzlaf get what I think they will be getting.

Then again, a lot of this also depends on what the cap is going to be set at, and if there are rollback etc.

Perry and Getzlaf are players I'd make room for to build the team around. I would be shocked if we could get both of them (highly, highly doubt it), but if we could I would do whatever it took.

11-05-2012, 08:52 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Winning regular season games isn't a problem with this team; you aren't going to win too many post-season games with a suspect blueline.
Signed,

Carolina Hurricanes circa 2006?

Old
11-05-2012, 09:08 PM
PoolChamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Perry and Getzlaf are players I'd make room for to build the team around. I would be shocked if we could get both of them (highly, highly doubt it), but if we could I would do whatever it took.
We only need one of them and this team becomes damn near unstoppable. Perry preferably for me.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Signed,

Carolina Hurricanes circa 2006?
A bit much to be expecting alot of breaks go your way....

1) Taking out the heart & soul of the Habs with a high stick from Justin Williams in one of their playoffs series that season.
2) Facing a Sabres team in another round with a depleted blueline where they had Rory "allstar" Fitzpatrick on the squad
3) Facing a Oilers team that had the starting goalie that helped get them there go down in game 1 of the Finals & was out for the rest of the series.

So yeah, sure I guess it's possible; only this team doesn't exactly have the greatest of luck with respect to injuries.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
We only need one of them and this team becomes damn near unstoppable. Perry preferably for me.
Yup. And better to give up only for what we know we have a strong chance at being able to re-sign him long-term. With Perry and Getzlaf together it's virtually guaranteed we can't fit both under.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Perry
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen
Raymond-Lapierre-Kassian

Or something like that.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:24 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

You know it's a lockout when we're talking about Perry, Getzlaf, Yakupov, Klefbom in a Luongo deal.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 5158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Yup. And better to give up only for what we know we have a strong chance at being able to re-sign him long-term. With Perry and Getzlaf together it's virtually guaranteed we can't fit both under.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Perry
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen
Raymond-Lapierre-Kassian

Or something like that.
While I like those lines. You have to put Burrows or Lapierre with Kesler and Perry at some point. That is simply too big a troll to pass up.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:57 PM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
While I like those lines. You have to put Burrows or Lapierre with Kesler and Perry at some point. That is simply too big a troll to pass up.
Sedin - Sedin - Schroeder - Soft, classy line
Burrows - Kesler - Perry - Troll line
Raymond - Higgins - Booth - The girls fall all over me line
Hansen - Lapierre - Kassian - Hitting 24/7 line

Closed Thread