HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I apparently suck at finding information about equipment (need new skates)

Old
10-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
I apparently suck at finding information about equipment (need new skates)

So, I'm in the market for some new skates. I'm currently running on some 8-year-old CCM Vector Pros (<3 <3 <3 <3 these skates), and the rivets are coming out of the bottom. The cost of getting all the rivets replaced at this point is more than the skates are worth, so I figure it's time to go in for a new pair.

I've been trying to find some detailed information on the skates available from Bauer, Easton, CCM, Graf, etc. but I think I'm just fairly inept at finding these things out, or I don't know where to look for that information. For instance, I want to know what the weight of my Vector Pros are, so that I can compare it to prospective skates that I want to look at (mostly as a reference, since I'm curious how much skates have actually improved since I was in high school).

I'm looking to spend right around 300$, does anyone have any recommendations for skates in that range that they've found to be really reliable?

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Dean92

I would recommend watching some reviews on Youtube to help you decide. Ice Hockey Warehouse reviews every new product. I know two players who recently bought the new Bauer Supreme One60s and likes it.

Dean92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Check that skate thread up top, hopefully AIR pops in, he knows his stuff.

Basically fit is the #1, #2, #3, #4, #7, and #10 on the top 10 most important things list. Somewhere in there is stiffness, weight, quality, and price.

$300 is the sweet spot for quality meeting price. From there it's finding the brand and model that fits your feet.

I gave up light weight skates (Vapor) that didn't fit me for heavy skates (Graf) that did and skating improved quite a bit.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
I've always had trouble fitting into Bauer skates as they've typically had narrower boots and my feet are really wide, I've worn CCM skates for pretty much my entire life, so a U+ pair would probably do it for me in terms of fit, but I'm really interested in Graf skates since I hear so much good about them.

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I would guess the same thing about the U+ and have heard good things. Grafs have a variety of fits and a lower cut. They have some interesting models coming out next year with built in flex. Don't know all the Graf fits but I'm guessing you'd be closer to 705/709 with a wider foot.

Ideally for me I'd be able to use a derivative of the Total One skates...I like the look and the tech, they are light weight, I love the LS2 holders and steel...but I take what I can get. The Grafs have treated me very well, kinda heavy and had some eyelets pop out, had to get them re-profiled to match Bauer, but when they got dialed in it's just a great fit now.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote