HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Interesting Reddit IAMA with NHL team executive about the lockout

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 02:39 AM
jakapono24

vCash: 500
Interesting Reddit IAMA with NHL team executive about the lockout

Most questions are on the lockout, but some are on individual teams, about becoming an executive, and some other interesting stuff.

As it pertains to the lockout, s/he gives some great insight into the intricacies of the lockout and the league as a whole. Although it's not completely objective (as s/he admits) it has some value and it does make you think.

Anyways, read it and then discuss!

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...t_the_lockout/

Curious:

Did he change your opinion?

and

Do you agree with him that there will be a season?

Old
10-25-2012, 03:09 AM
Ernie

Must be a pretty low level guy. He really doesn't know what he's talking about:

Quote:
Sorry that I couldn't answer quickly before. Contract fulfillment is a sticking point for every player, and while I understand that, don't for one second think that the players didn't know this was happening. After the lockout in 2004-05, there were incentives in place that completely blew up the model of the previous CBA. It want from a 47% share of revenues to a 57% share of revenues. That's unsustainable.
Uh no, the share went from 54% to 57%.

Quote:
Q: During the previous lockout in 2005 Bain Capital(yes that one) came to the NHL with a offer to buy the entire league for $3.5 billion. Looking back was it a good decision by the owners and do you think they league would consider a consolidated ownership again?

A:That really is an interesting question and the first I've heard of it. I'll ask around for my own benefit because by the time I find out this AMA will be barren, but in 2005 I wasn't NEARLY at the level I'm at now, so I'm sorry, I can't intelligently answer your question.
What, was he born yesterday?

Quote:
Q: I'll be rude and ask.... Roughly how much do you make per year?

A:$112,000. But that includes cost of living and having to move from 6 different cities. Sports isn't for homebodies ')
Executive? $112,000 might not be chump change, but he's clearly nowhere near the top of the totem pole. The "6 cities" thing leads me to believe he's probably a scout. A scout who might be lucky to wake up tomorrow and still have a job. Can't be hard to track him down - plenty of details about his background, and all you have to do is work backwards from his salary.

Someone should have asked whether he thinks he'll still have a job tomorrow.

Old
10-25-2012, 03:16 AM
mmarti68

My gut tells me he works for the Nashville Predators. When asked about Phoenix, he mentions that he thinks very highly about former Yotes Vernon Fiddler and Scottie Upshall. Both began their careers and played 4-6 years in Nashville.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Ernie

Well, working off his comments that he regularly travels between 6 different NHL cities, I'd say he's a pro scout.

Here are the Predators' pro scouts:
Nick Beverley, Shawn Dineen & Vaclav Nedomansky

Based on his comments about previous hockey experience, I'm going to say Shawn Dineen.

Anyone feel like getting this guy fired?

Old
10-25-2012, 02:33 PM
optimus2861

He denied being on the hockey side of the business (he said he didn't know what was going on with the team's trainers for example, as they were in "Hockey Ops"), and said he was doing things like calling season ticket holders and charitable events, so I'm guessing he's a marketing rep. The "6 cities" comment may mean he has to go meet with major sponsors regularly.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:53 PM
GoCanes2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
He denied being on the hockey side of the business (he said he didn't know what was going on with the team's trainers for example, as they were in "Hockey Ops"), and said he was doing things like calling season ticket holders and charitable events, so I'm guessing he's a marketing rep. The "6 cities" comment may mean he has to go meet with major sponsors regularly.
I'd be surprised if he was a marketing rep making $112,000 - aren't a lot of "calling season ticket holders, charitable events, etc. type people" actually interns or lower level folks? Maybe he's the "VP of Community Relations" though...

Old
10-25-2012, 02:54 PM
TacticalTanev
Nucks STH

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarti68 View Post
My gut tells me he works for the Nashville Predators. When asked about Phoenix, he mentions that he thinks very highly about former Yotes Vernon Fiddler and Scottie Upshall. Both began their careers and played 4-6 years in Nashville.
He also talked about Radulov when discussing the Russian players in KHL, even though it wasn't really relevant.

Other teams for sure out:
Canadian Teams
New York Teams
Boston
Small Market Teams

Nashville would still be on the short list.
Also Minnesota seems like a pretty good option too. He really likes Boogaard and also thinks the Wild will be one of the top 3 teams (which is possible but also still very crazy).

Old
10-25-2012, 03:11 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Trying to nail down who this guy actually is seems to be missing a lot of the more alarming parts of his comments which seem quite credible. How many scouts make phone calls to ticket holders? Now then again a lot of teams have laid off that part of their teams more than likely. If he did work for the Predators I think he would have been harder on Leopold... Oh crap now I am doing it.

I do think the focus should be more on his comments here, it doesn't seem like any of us doubt he is a good source.

Old
10-25-2012, 03:16 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Must be a pretty low level guy. He really doesn't know what he's talking about:

Uh no, the share went from 54% to 57%.

What, was he born yesterday?

Executive? $112,000 might not be chump change, but he's clearly nowhere near the top of the totem pole. The "6 cities" thing leads me to believe he's probably a scout. A scout who might be lucky to wake up tomorrow and still have a job. Can't be hard to track him down - plenty of details about his background, and all you have to do is work backwards from his salary.

Someone should have asked whether he thinks he'll still have a job tomorrow.
Believe it or not, sports teams pay their business people (sales, marketing, accounting, IT, project management) below market value or at the low end of market value. $112,000 is about what I'd expect them to pay a VP of, say, marketing. They can do that because it's an exciting business that a lot of people want to be a part of that looks astounding on a resume.

Old
10-25-2012, 03:18 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

By the way people if I am this guy, I intentionally go after my team in one of these to rule it out. Just me, but it covers your backside and really throws people off the trail. Considering he could get in big trouble, I wouldn't rule out him being smart enough to do that.

Old
10-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Krishna

I've posted on another place about the AMA but the mods there are pretty easy to fool.. The verification process needs to be fixed. They should be holding credentials, time stamped piece of paper, and have their face in the picture.

They just want to see credentials. So if I was to find say Paul holmgren's press pass on the ground, I could pass myself off as Paul Holmgren to the mods

Old
10-25-2012, 03:23 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I've posted on another place about the AMA but the mods there are pretty easy to fool.. The verification process needs to be fixed. They should be holding credentials, time stamped piece of paper, and have their face in the picture.

They just want to see credentials. So if I was to find say Paul holmgren's press pass on the ground, I could pass myself off as Paul Holmgren to the mods
Not doubting it, but he comes off as pretty authentic here in my opinion.

Old
10-25-2012, 03:26 PM
njdevil26

I can confidently tell you that he's not a NJ exec. We all know what would happen to him if Lou and Vanderbeek found out.

Old
10-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
As I was reading it, it came off as someone who was just been reading the media. Anyone who is really following the negotiations could have made those replies

Old
10-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Koss

Send a message via MSN to Koss
Quote:

Well, to be fair, it is reddit where many posts are made up and the karma doesn't matter.

Old
10-25-2012, 03:34 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakapono24 View Post
Most questions are on the lockout, but some are on individual teams, about becoming an executive, and some other interesting stuff.

As it pertains to the lockout, s/he gives some great insight into the intricacies of the lockout and the league as a whole. Although it's not completely objective (as s/he admits) it has some value and it does make you think.

Anyways, read it and then discuss!

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...t_the_lockout/

Curious:

Did he change your opinion?

and

Do you agree with him that there will be a season?
1. I'm not even sure this is legit. Could be a PR stunt.
2. Interesting thing was his reasoning for owners feeling insulted. Something I haven't seen reported anywhere.

Old
10-25-2012, 03:36 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

It honestly would not surprise me if he works for Detroit. He said some things to throw people off the trail, like they bought cups. But he also has some pretty nice takes on the organization. The Ownership/management there is extremely frustrated and the Wings pay pretty well throughout the organization. The only thing that gives me pause is recently talking to the Owner as Ilitch is in poor health. With that said they have grumbled before wiht Jimmy D's fine. His attitude seems close to what the Wings brass is rumored to be thinking. He also has an extremely high take on how important the Winter Classic is and the Wings are calling a lot of people because of the tickets there and how well they take care of their season ticket holders.

Old
10-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Would anyone really want to risk their career to share their thoughts on a public forum where word can get out and his organization could find out? The sensible side of me says no.

Old
10-25-2012, 03:38 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Quote:
As I was reading it, it came off as someone who was just been reading the media. Anyone who is really following the negotiations could have made those replies
Sort of the Owners insult thing as Capt. Bob points out seems to be interesting. It would explain the quick rejection. I am not saying I trust this 100%, just found it interesting.

Old
10-25-2012, 04:14 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Well, working off his comments that he regularly travels between 6 different NHL cities, I'd say he's a pro scout.

Here are the Predators' pro scouts:
Nick Beverley, Shawn Dineen & Vaclav Nedomansky

Based on his comments about previous hockey experience, I'm going to say Shawn Dineen.

Anyone feel like getting this guy fired?
Don't think that's him. He mentioned getting into pro hockey with the help of his college coach; Shawn Dineen is Bill Dineen's son and Kevin's brother, he's way too well-connected to need that. He also mentioned putting his kids to bed, Shawn Dineen's a little old (54) to have young children.

Old
10-25-2012, 04:29 PM
haveandare

Forgive me for being so naive, but why are people trying to nail down who this guy/gal is? If s/he's truly an NHL executive, and s/he was nice enough to put himself or herself in the line of fire a bit to take and answer a wide range of questions about a topic that is important to a lot of fans, why are people trying to screw this person and get them fired?

Seems like being mean for the sake of being mean.

Old
10-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Forgive me for being so naive, but why are people trying to nail down who this guy/gal is? If s/he's truly an NHL executive, and s/he was nice enough to put himself or herself in the line of fire a bit to take and answer a wide range of questions about a topic that is important to a lot of fans, why are people trying to screw this person and get them fired?

Seems like being mean for the sake of being mean.
It's just ernie who is trying to get him fired. Others are just trying to figure out who he is

Old
10-25-2012, 04:35 PM
haveandare

Quote:
It's just ernie who is trying to get him fired. Others are just trying to figure out who he is
Wouldn't figuring out who the person is beyond doubt lead to them getting fired? I feel like there's a chance this person's career could end because they tried to do something nice, if not a bit misguided. Feels wrong to me.

Old
10-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Wouldn't figuring out who the person is beyond doubt lead to them getting fired? I feel like there's a chance this person's career could end because they tried to do something nice, if not a bit misguided. Feels wrong to me.
I don't think people are going to forward it to the right people to get the guy fired.. Especially if he does his job well enough

Old
10-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
I don't think people are going to forward it to the right people to get the guy fired.. Especially if he does his job well enough
Gawker/Deadspin among other sites are good at uncovering peoples identities. In fact, they did so with someone who was considered a "reddit troll" and the revelation ended up costing the guy his job (apparently he would harass young teen girls online, so his firing is justified).

Not that this guy is doing anything wrong, but you are leaving yourself vulnerable to exposure and also of the possibility of losing your job when you are saying things you are not permitted to say.

Closed Thread