HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Why do the players despise the owners instead of being grateful?

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 02:40 AM
Foot

vCash: 500
Why do the players despise the owners instead of being grateful?

Simple question really. Why do the players show so much animosity towards the owners? Do they not realize that the owners are responsible for creating hundreds of jobs in the local economy and allow them make millions to live their lavish lifestyles?

If I was a player for a struggling team I would be so grateful of the owners. Nearly HALF of the teams LOSE millions every year and the owners write off cheques out of their own pocket so that the franchise can stay alive.

So far all I've seen is players whine and be disrespectful towards the owners. On the other hand, the owners have not said anything disrespectful towards the players and is just treating this labour dispute as business. The players seem to take this lockout personally.

Old
10-25-2012, 02:43 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Um.... History.

I think the better question is why so many players really target Bettman instead of their own owner.

By the way I am actually pretty pro owner in this lockout, think 50/50 and the last NHL was pretty fair. But they have built up a lot of mistrust and now in a lot of players minds are trying to back out of money they promised.

Also the Owners have not said anything disrespectful, because they aren't allowed to talk about it.

Old
10-25-2012, 03:02 AM
Foot

Toews has been spitting so much venom at the owners. I wonder how he will be able to look his owner in the eye when they cross paths.

Old
10-25-2012, 03:07 AM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot View Post
Toews has been spitting so much venom at the owners. I wonder how he will be able to look his owner in the eye when they cross paths.
Seriously, lost all respect for him, I once saw him as a Future Yzerman, now he's lower than Avery in my book.

Old
10-25-2012, 03:12 AM
Luongownage
Kassian? #epicfail

Ask yourself this question.
If you made an agreement with your employer to recieve Y ammount of dollars and sign a contract in good faith to recieve such payment, wouldn't you, after the person who offered you said contract, told you that you would have to lose %Z ammount off of the contract, tell the owner of the contract to stuff that up their X?

Old
10-25-2012, 03:24 AM
Orrthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongownage View Post
If you made an agreement with your employer to recieve Y ammount of dollars and sign a contract in good faith to recieve such payment, wouldn't you, after the person who offered you said contract, told you that you would have to lose %Z ammount off of the contract, tell the owner of the contract to stuff that up their X?
Not one contract paid out at 100% in the last 7 years why should they start now?

Old
10-25-2012, 03:28 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Are you in a union? Do you feel that CAW should be grateful to the bosses at the Big 3?

Old
10-25-2012, 04:12 AM
rockinghorse

I don't know what he has said. Have not taken the time to look.

What makes Jonathon Toews a great captain is his passion. He's just frustrated at being helpless. He's a competitive guy by nature. More of the rather fight than flight type. Plus he is really pretty young so I'd cut him some slack.

Old
10-25-2012, 04:29 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghorse View Post
I don't know what he has said. Have not taken the time to look.

What makes Jonathon Toews a great captain is his passion. He's just frustrated at being helpless. He's a competitive guy by nature. More of the rather fight than flight type. Plus he is really pretty young so I'd cut him some slack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSharks View Post
Seriously, lost all respect for him, I once saw him as a Future Yzerman, now he's lower than Avery in my book.
I would personally prefer he not say a word during the lockout. Of course some posts on here are taken out of context and not citing the entire article.

http://www.csnchicago.com/hockey-chi...9&feedID=10334

Quote:
“We want to be playing here in Chicago and hopefully the fans know that. This, deep down, is where we want to be. But it’s something that keeps delaying and going on and on,”
Quote:
“It goes with what I just said as far as them being on their own program,” Jonathan Toews said following Wednesday’s practice. “When they’re willing to consider one thing we say, then they’ll step up to the plate. Obviously now is not the time. It doesn’t matter how much reasoning, how clear we are and how right we can be in any situation or any issue. They still have their minds made up on how they’re going to go about it. Give them one thing that’s a tiny bit different and they’re not going to look at it for more than 10 minutes. They’re consistent with that attitude so far.”
Quote:
“To all of a sudden sign a deal that changes your life and makes things better for you and your family, someone tries to take that away from you, it’s insulting and, quite frankly, it’s embarrassing for (the league) as well,” Toews said. “We only have a limited time to play and earn a living as hockey player,s and we’re doing everything we can. Every guy has worked hard for that. We can be proud to stand up for what we stood up for so far, and there’s no shame in that.
I'm pretty sure Rocky has not been offended by any of it. That being said no reason to make yourself a target.

Last edited by HawksFan74: 10-25-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old
10-25-2012, 04:34 AM
rockinghorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
I would personally prefer he not say a word during the lockout. Of course some posts on here are taking out of context and not citing the entire article.

http://www.csnchicago.com/hockey-chi...9&feedID=10334

I'm pretty sure Rocky has not been offended by any of it. That being said no reason to make yourself a target.
He is telling you that he is helping his family with the money he earns. Now because the money is less he is able to do less to support his mom, dad, brother, aunts, uncles,cousins, friends, charities etc. You do realize that players share their wealth? They don't just keep it to themselves? "Mine all mine" is not their moto. They give back.

Old
10-25-2012, 04:38 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
He is telling you that he is helping his family with the money he earns. Now because the money is less he is able to do less to support his mom, dad, brother, aunts, uncles,cousins, friends, charities etc. You do realize that players share their wealth? They don't just keep it to themselves? "Mine all mine" is not their moto. They give back.
Nobody here cares about that. They just see the tweet of the one quote about the owners insulting them. They form opinions based on that one line and roll with it.

Old
10-25-2012, 05:20 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongownage View Post
It's even more simple than that, imagine you have a kid and you're giving him 20 bucks a week as allowance and then you cut this by half, he's gonna flip. That's exactly how the players react.

Now I think players don't realise that it's worse in most businesses. When an employer say the employees, alright we're cutting your salaries in half or we close because we can't afford it, the employees have to take it. NHL players thinks they are the only ones in the World wich something like that happen to.

Old
10-25-2012, 05:30 AM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Um.... History.

I think the better question is why so many players really target Bettman instead of their own owner.

By the way I am actually pretty pro owner in this lockout, think 50/50 and the last NHL was pretty fair. But they have built up a lot of mistrust and now in a lot of players minds are trying to back out of money they promised.

Also the Owners have not said anything disrespectful, because they aren't allowed to talk about it.
I think the even better question is why do the players and owners have no respect for the fans.

Old
10-25-2012, 05:32 AM
meedle

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
It's even more simple than that, imagine you have a kid and you're giving him 20 bucks a week as allowance and then you cut this by half, he's gonna flip. That's exactly how the players react.

Now I think players don't realise that it's worse in most businesses. When an employer say the employees, alright we're cutting your salaries in half or we close because we can't afford it, the employees have to take it. NHL players thinks they are the only ones in the World wich something like that happen to.

Its more like, hey take a 10 percent cut now but in over the next 6 years you will get a 40 percent raise. I dunno too many people who are gonna argue with that.

Old
10-25-2012, 05:38 AM
MXD

Why do anti-union users insists of bringing in the owners at all costs, when the "targetted" person has pretty much been only Gary Bettman?

Old
10-25-2012, 05:38 AM
HabsByTheBay

Nobody buys a ticket to see an owner.

Owners don't put their bodies on the line. Jeremy Jacobs now walks with a permanent limp as the result of a devastating knee to knee hit he suffered as a result of owning the Bruins...

Owners buy teams for multiple reasons, but it being a good investment is rarely one. Sometimes it's for altruistic reasons but often times it's to increase their status in the community, sometimes to run for political office, etc. I don't see why I have to thank so-and-so for buying my team when he just wants to get the best table at the restaurants. Not exaggerating when I say that's why Peter Angelos bought MLB's Baltimore Orioles.

Owners themselves see the players as their adversaries; if they didn't there wouldn't be a lockout. It would be nice we all moved to a collaborative German-style process where the union had votes on the NHL BoG, a say in selecting the commissioner and everybody got together to work on the principles of fair salaries for the players and fair returns for the owners but we've instituted this adversarial North American-style system which kinda sucks, frankly.

A lot of the league's value is predicated on the best players in the world being there. Look at when the NFL played scabs in the late 80s, attendance and TV were way down.

And finally some players are greedy and stupid; the number of strong union men in NA sports who run for political office as conservatives who oppose unions is a lot. One rule for me, another for you.

Old
10-25-2012, 05:39 AM
Shwag33

Quote:

IF that's really the case, then they are hurting their families by not playing this entire season. NO matter what deal they end up receiving.

So sorry, this excuse is bull ****.

Old
10-25-2012, 05:40 AM
ottawah

Quote:
Simple question really. Why do the players show so much animosity towards the owners? Do they not realize that the owners are responsible for creating hundreds of jobs in the local economy and allow them make millions to live their lavish lifestyles?
Because they chose different life paths. Players are in the weight rooms, rinks, etc working their ***** off physically for many years, and that what they learn, its what they respect.

Owners work their ***** off at business school, studying, developing their minds. Thats what they respect.

To the players, owners are just weak nerds who were lucky to make money and do not deserve it because they never worked hard that the players see.

To the owners, players are simply stupid gym rats with a lucky genetic ability who should thank their stars they are not working at McDonalds.

Old
10-25-2012, 05:42 AM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
Because they chose different life paths. Players are in the weight rooms, rinks, etc working their ***** off physically for many years, and that what they learn, its what they respect.

Owners work their ***** off at business school, studying, developing their minds. Thats what they respect.

To the players, owners are just weak nerds who were lucky to make money and do not deserve it because they never worked hard that the players see.

To the owners, players are simply stupid gym rats with a lucky genetic ability who should thank their stars they are not working at McDonalds.
Well, some owners are arrogant entitled dweebs with a plantation mentality that comes from inheriting wealth they didn't earn.

Old
10-25-2012, 06:02 AM
Ola

Quote:

If I was a player for a struggling team I would be so grateful of the owners. Nearly HALF of the teams LOSE millions every year and the owners write off cheques out of their own pocket so that the franchise can stay alive.

So far all I've seen is players whine and be disrespectful towards the owners. On the other hand, the owners have not said anything disrespectful towards the players and is just treating this labour dispute as business. The players seem to take this lockout personally.
Why do the league dispise the players instead of being grateful?

Old
10-25-2012, 06:06 AM
Shwag33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Why do the league dispise the players instead of being grateful?

Because they are causing them to lose money, or at worst have a horrible ROI; aside from a handful of teams.

Old
10-25-2012, 06:09 AM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
1. They cannot stand the fact that billionaires have stepped up to incur 10's of millions of dollars of losses, increasing the number of teams in the league and therefore the number of millionaire players. They despise the entire notion.

2. They hate the fact that the owners pay for travel with increased fuel cost, while giving them spending allowances on the road and picking up their 5 star hotels and food bills

3. They find it appalling that since the last CBA, the average income of an NHL player has increased by 60%

I'm sure there's more...but that's enough hate for one post.

Oh wait...there is...

4. They're REALLY pissed at the fact their contracts are guaranteed. I mean...who wants to play under the condition that you make the same money even if you stink the joint up after you just signed a big contract?

5. It's also really horrible that the NHL in the last CBA allowed them to earn the majority of their money up front in a contract so they could be a total slacker later one when money doesn't matter. They even gave them an early retirement option at the end when it's not worth playing for $2M a year. The ********.

Old
10-25-2012, 06:29 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
Because they are causing them to lose money, or at worst have a horrible ROI; aside from a handful of teams.
So people held guns to their head when they signed these contracts or what?

Old
10-25-2012, 06:39 AM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
Well, some owners are arrogant entitled dweebs with a plantation mentality that comes from inheriting wealth they didn't earn.
Some. Many? Not really. Here is what I can find easily.

Aneheim : Samueli's parents, Sala and Aron, were Polish Jewish immigrants who survived Nazi Europe and arrived in the United States with almost nothing.

Jacobs we all know born into it

Pegula - Founded his own company.

Calgary has a few owners, Hotchkiss being notable, self made man.

Karmanos - Born into a Greek immigrant family

Chicago - Wirtxz inherited team basically

Kroenke - Self made, although married into money

McConnell - As a young steel salesman, he founded Worthington Industries in 1955, using his car as collateral to purchase his first load of steel for custom processing.

Illitch - Ilitch was born in Detroit in 1929 to Macedonian immigrants

Katz - Looks self made from bio, but not 100% sure.

Leopold - more married into money.

Molson we all know.

Vanderbeek - We all know exactly how much money he does not have

Wang - Mostly self made, although did lead a privileged childhood.

Melnyk - self made

Born into money,., although not that much

Checketts, mostly self made.

Vinik mostly self made

Aquilini - Had some family money for sure.

Look, reading through the bios these are not playboys lounging around the pool. A few married into NHL owner money, A few inherited it, but the vast majority made their money through extraordinary hard work. Putting them down as arrogant entitled dweebs do not do them justice.By and large they are some of the hardest working businessmen around.

Old
10-25-2012, 06:42 AM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
Nobody buys a ticket to see an owner.
And nobody buys a ticket to watch pick up on a pond either, which is where these players would be if someone did not front the cash to buy arenas.

Closed Thread