10 game cap on fights in OHL

Old
10-24-2012, 02:15 PM
flannelman
default user

vCash: 920
10 game cap on fights in OHL

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=408051

Looks like fighting is down in the OHL because of this new rule - but I'd be curious to see if cheap-shots are up.

Don't get to watch a lot of OHL here, unless it is on NHL Network, so I'll have to take your word for it.

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Montecristo

vCash: 500
I think it just weeds out the pointless fights. A player can still throw down once every 10 games and depending on how many willing fighters are on your team you can just rotate who sticks up for your teammates when the situation arises. I actually attribute this rule to the rise in offensive output by both camara and payne. Maybe they arent focused on who they are going to fight each night with the cap and are focusing more on the skill side of the game

Montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:42 PM
NotedToughGuyDKrejci

vCash: 2769
I don't see how this should really have any impact on cheap shots. It's not like you can plan in advance to have your tough guy on the ice when a cheap shot happens. It's usually whoever is closest that tries to respond. If you've got a team with 4-5 guys who can fight some, that gives you 40-50 fights without suspension.

NotedToughGuyDKrejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:56 PM
almostawake

It's a 10 fight cap.

And once that that limit is reached, the player is not suspended permanently. He receives an automatic 2 game suspensions for each fight beyond that.

Also worth pointing out that fights a player ends up in after dishing a clean hit do not count as a fight for the purposes of this rule.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 06:35 PM
PJ StockBB

i think this rule is fine for younger junior players. however i would not like to see it in the NHL. and if this rule ever is implemented in the NHL i hope the number of fights would be raised to 20 before a suspension.

PJ StockBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

IDk. Something about 16 year olds fighting while people cheer them on just sounds wrong to me.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:24 PM
DohBruins

OHL probably wants to preserve talent, 10 fights is too much, anyway, for 18-year olds. I definitely don't want to see this in the NHL soon.

DohBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:49 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Would Lucic have ever made it to the NHL with this ridiculous fight cap?

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:29 AM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Would Lucic have ever made it to the NHL with this ridiculous fight cap?
He was in the WHL, not the OHL, so I think he would have been OK.

TheShoe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecristo View Post
I think it just weeds out the pointless fights. A player can still throw down once every 10 games and depending on how many willing fighters are on your team you can just rotate who sticks up for your teammates when the situation arises. I actually attribute this rule to the rise in offensive output by both camara and payne. Maybe they arent focused on who they are going to fight each night with the cap and are focusing more on the skill side of the game
What?!

Young players can actually concentrate on playing hockey??!!

Oh, the sacrilege!!

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:52 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
IDk. Something about 16 year olds fighting while people cheer them on just sounds wrong to me.
How many 16 year olds in the OHL? How many of those 16 year olds are fighting?

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
How many 16 year olds in the OHL? How many of those 16 year olds are fighting?
Enough to make his point valid.

It doesn't get all that much better with 17 and 18 year olds

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Rumpy

Anybody good enough to play in the CHL as a 16 or even 17 year old very very rarely gets in a fight let alone if a fighter.

They had a interview on TSN last night and Bob Boughner (Windsor coach) brought up the point that there aren't nearly as many fights after good clean hits. This is one thing I can agree with.

Rumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Enough to make his point valid.
Hardly.

But we've had this fight earlier. Some of us look at it as an attempt to save the children. Others see it as one step closer to wrecking a sport we love. We all know where we stand on this, no?

It disgusts me, personally. 10-fight maximum is a non-solution to a non-problem, the mere suggestion of which is ludicrous to me (let alone the full-blown execution).

But, whatever.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:18 AM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
Hardly.

But we've had this fight earlier. Some of us look at it as an attempt to save the children. Others see it as one step closer to wrecking a sport we love. We all know where we stand on this, no?

It disgusts me, personally. 10-fight maximum is a non-solution to a non-problem, the mere suggestion of which is ludicrous to me (let alone the full-blown execution).

But, whatever.
You're ok with a 16 or 17 year old fighting a 20 year old? You don't see anything wrong with that?

Old
10-26-2012, 12:37 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
You're ok with a 16 or 17 year old fighting a 20 year old? You don't see anything wrong with that?
Again, we've all had this discussion already... But if you're interested? Short-form:

The 10-fight rule is not targeted at the fights that you mention. An example of a rule that would do so, would make it illegal for 16 and 17 year old players to fight at all. The 10-fight maximum is aimed at advancing toward taking fighting out of the league altogether... Aside from the potential harm it may cause (although not excluding it) I strongly oppose the rule on principle alone.

Regardless, I don't see what you're talking about as an epidemic, I don't think it's exclusively bad, and NO - I don't have a particular bloodlust when it comes to children (if that's what's being implied).

Old
10-26-2012, 01:04 AM
Rumpy

Quote:
I have watched hundreds of WHL games and don't ever remember that happening once....

If a 16 or 17 year old makes the CHL they are SPECIAL and not just some thug. When they fight it is each other. The guys who are "fighters" won't make it until they 18 and sure they might have to answer the bell to a very rare 20 year old thug but that is how you make a name for yourself. And since you can have only 3 20 year olds fighters usually have at max a 2 year CHL career.

This is still hockey and there are unwritten rules about stuff you do and don't just like Thornton doesn't go after Crosby. A 19 year old WHL tough guy doesn't go after Reinhardt or Lazar.

Old
10-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpy View Post
I have watched hundreds of WHL games and don't ever remember that happening once....

If a 16 or 17 year old makes the CHL they are SPECIAL and not just some thug. When they fight it is each other. The guys who are "fighters" won't make it until they 18 and sure they might have to answer the bell to a very rare 20 year old thug but that is how you make a name for yourself. And since you can have only 3 20 year olds fighters usually have at max a 2 year CHL career.

This is still hockey and there are unwritten rules about stuff you do and don't just like Thornton doesn't go after Crosby. A 19 year old WHL tough guy doesn't go after Reinhardt or Lazar.
Lucic had 21 fights as a 17 year old. Many against guys that were 2 years older than him.

Lucic was not a special player.

Old
10-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
Again, we've all had this discussion already... But if you're interested? Short-form:

The 10-fight rule is not targeted at the fights that you mention. An example of a rule that would do so, would make it illegal for 16 and 17 year old players to fight at all. The 10-fight maximum is aimed at advancing toward taking fighting out of the league altogether... Aside from the potential harm it may cause (although not excluding it) I strongly oppose the rule on principle alone.

Regardless, I don't see what you're talking about as an epidemic, I don't think it's exclusively bad, and NO - I don't have a particular bloodlust when it comes to children (if that's what's being implied).
I don't think they will ever take fighting out of the game. And a ten fight max pretty much just affects your goons.

Many young players nowadays are going the college route. I think the OHL realizes that some of them are not going to the OHL because of the fighting. I think this is the OHL's way of showing parents that they care about safety and that they are being proactive.

Old
10-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Rumpy

Quote:
Lucic had 21 fights as a 17 year old. Many against guys that were 2 years older than him.

Lucic was not a special player.
Lucic not a special player? The guy was and is a physical freak! Lucky for us he can play some hockey too. If Lucic wasn't such a great fighter he wouldn't have made the league or for that matter the NHL ever as he would have never ever ever in a million years got a chance without fighting.

The above logic just adds another reason why fighting shouldn't be restricted!

Old
10-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Rumpy

Quote:
I don't think they will ever take fighting out of the game. And a ten fight max pretty much just affects your goons.

Many young players nowadays are going the college route. I think the OHL realizes that some of them are not going to the OHL because of the fighting. I think this is the OHL's way of showing parents that they care about safety and that they are being proactive.
Or kids/parents are 2nd generation players who never made it and wish they had taken oter routes. I know Jayden Shwartz is one for sure that was never gunna be allowed by his parents to play chl. If your kid isn't gunna be a elite player in the CHL it's best to pass and play for a scholarship. Even div II and III pays for a bit and you can still make the show if you are good enough and get the eight breaks at the right time (IE Lucic haha). The CHL is great at producing good hockey players but there education system definately suffers with road trips and kids being away from home. The CHL offers "free school" for evey year played but I would venture to say atleast 50 to 60 percent of them waste that opportunity/aren't in the position to take advantage of it.

Last edited by Rumpy: 10-26-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old
10-26-2012, 07:16 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:

He's actually stated that it's his goal to get fighting out of the game. So that theory is out.

And trust me, dude... It affects more than just goons. The OHL is not losing quality players to colleges because of a fear of fighting - I promise you. And even if it was, this rule STILL doesn't eliminate fighting, so what good is it?