HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

D-day Poll: Will you go back?

View Poll Results: Will you go back when the NHL comes back?
Yes, I'm a sucker! I came back once, I'll go back again. 119 73.46%
No. I've had enough with these greedy ********. 43 26.54%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-25-2012, 12:41 PM
flameaholic

vCash: 500
D-day Poll: Will you go back?

Now that the deadline for a full 82-game season has come, will you go back when the NHL comes back?

Yes or No?

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:47 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

This is a hockey message board. People here are hardcore fans- they'll be back, regardless of what they claim now. The NHL is the best hockey in the world, everyone here will be back. People are angry, that's understandable, but the instant their team hits the ice, they'll be buying tickets and overpriced beer again.

People watch hockey because they love the product. Once the games are back on, everything is forgiven.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:48 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

If they play a season, abbreviated or not, yes.

If they destroy another season, they can rot for all I care, as I will never spend another dime on their product.

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:50 PM
flameaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
This is a hockey message board. People here are hardcore fans- they'll be back, regardless of what they claim now. The NHL is the best hockey in the world, everyone here will be back. People are angry, that's understandable, but the instant their team hits the ice, they'll be buying tickets and overpriced beer again.

People watch hockey because they love the product. Once the games are back on, everything is forgiven.
That's what Gary Bettman is banking on. Quote: "We have the best (most gullible) fans in the world."

flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:53 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Yes, because I am not going to lie about it, not because I am a sucker. I will want to watch hockey at the best level when it comes back. I don't like either side, but I never had very strong feelings for ownership, I can honestly say this has damaged my feelings towards players to the point they really are the cattle Jimmy D in Detroit called them. I don't care about their family or stories, I don't care if they get hurt. I will just watch hockey because I love the sport and the NHL is the best level. I will continue to root for the crest on the front of the jersey of my hometown team growing up. But it will take me a long time, if at all, to care for and respect the players again on the same level I once thought of them.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:53 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
THE National Champs

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I love the sport of hockey, first and foremost. I grew up playing the game since I was 4 years old. It means a lot to me and my family. We sacrificed a lot of time traveling from city to city every weekend. My parents made the ultimate sacrifice working 40+ hours a week and then STILL driving me to practice at 5am. This sport means more to me than I could explain. The NHL still brings us together as we watch a ton of games as a family.

So while you want to make it simple by saying fans are gullible because they will go back, it's really not. This happens in every sport. It's part of business. I learned to separate business and sport even though they seem to come across one another very often in today's world.

I'm sure there are a lot of people like me and yes... I'll be watching hockey as soon as it comes back on. I won't feel a single shame.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:56 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

As much as I hate these greedy baby millionaires & billionaires squabbling over money, I. Will. Be. Back.

I miss watching my Jets!

ajmidd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Lateralous
New Jersey Devils

In terms of watching games and following the NHL, yes I will be back but I do plan to significantly cut my spending on them. My gameplan subscription will definitely be the first casualty. God help the person in their call center if they try an automatic renewal.

Lateralous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Not exactly the best name for this thread.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Haj
#CatsAreComing

No. I will not be back.

I fell in love with this sport when I was 13, but not supporting the NHL after the lockout is the only way I can do my part in letting them know that this situation is completely unacceptable.

I suppose what makes it easier for me is that the Florida Panthers have been terrible for 11 out of the past 12 years, so its not like I am missing out on a playoff team/high quality hockey by not showing my support.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Section337

I don't know why I would be a sucker if I go to games after the lockout is saved. I ***** and complain about it, but it doesn't affect me. It's a first world problem if you will.

But once they come back, if I don't go to games, then I'm personally depriving myself of entertainment.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vikke

vCash: 685
Why wouldn't I?

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Pilky01
I hate Dion Phanuef

Of course I will be back.

The NHL is just a consumer product like any other. I am not personally offended (as some seem to be) that there is hardline negotiating going on.

Plus, I am a fan in Toronto. That means my support (or lackthereof) means absolutely nothing to the NHL.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:06 PM
SpokedLightning
Overpaid 4th Liner

I'll be back but my semi planned trip to Boston to see a game is canceled. I'll just stick with watching live AHL games l like I have been. They are closer and much cheaper anyways.

SpokedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Crabovski*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I love the sport of hockey, first and foremost. I grew up playing the game since I was 4 years old. It means a lot to me and my family. We sacrificed a lot of time traveling from city to city every weekend. My parents made the ultimate sacrifice working 40+ hours a week and then STILL driving me to practice at 5am. This sport means more to me than I could explain. The NHL still brings us together as we watch a ton of games as a family.

So while you want to make it simple by saying fans are gullible because they will go back, it's really not. This happens in every sport. It's part of business. I learned to separate business and sport even though they seem to come across one another very often in today's world.

I'm sure there are a lot of people like me and yes... I'll be watching hockey as soon as it comes back on. I won't feel a single shame.
Eloquent and true.

Crabovski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:08 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 595
Not sure why going back would make someone a sucker. There are two sides to the equation. The players and the owners. Its an agreement between them.

Its like damn I'm so mad that I don't get to watch some NHL hockey this season that I refuse to ever watch it again. Yeah that's rational.

If the Heinz factory workers were locked out would you refuse to use heinz ketchup again when they went back to work?

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:15 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Despite the hurt feelings now, people don't watch hockey or not watch hockey because of the labor agreement. They watch or don't watch hockey because of the product.

Once the product is back, the people who enjoy that product will be back too.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Hockey Crazy

If they miss any games this year, then I'm not going to attend a game for one full year. If the Leafs make the playoffs and someone is able to get me tickets, then I don't think I could turn the down.

I'll watch on TV though

Hockey Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Bill_Crosby

I think there needs to be more options on the poll. I don't buy NHL tickets but, if I did, I probably would stop after this. I bought the OHL online season pass and will continue to do so moving forward, splitting interest between the two leagues.

So yeah I guess I'm going back but considering I spend far more on coffee in a year than I do on the NHL what does that really mean?

Bill_Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:32 PM
oiler-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

Worded perfectly.

However, should they lose the whole year, my plan is to buy no tickets to games. I'll go if they're work tickets, and the likes, and I'll watch every game on TV. But I don't plan on buying tickets if the whole year is wiped out.

oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:36 PM
LukeD
On Fire

9 people are liars.

LukeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:37 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
If they play a season, abbreviated or not, yes.

If they destroy another season, they can rot for all I care, as I will never spend another dime on their product.
Agree 100%, if they kill another season, I've already stated, I will never go to another NHL game ever again, I don't care if the tickets were free. I will watch it on TV, but wont go to the games. Which is tough to say as an Islander's fan, since I wanna check out the Islanders at the new arena in 2015.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:39 PM
coolasprICE

No, I will simply continue to spend every free moment of my life posting on hfboards, but yes, the NHL has lost me for good

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hanklite*
Bettman's Bro

Anybody who answers no is lying..

Why else would you be on a hockey message board?

Hanklite* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LeTANGled58

absolutely. I love hockey more than making a point that ultimately will do nothing.

LeTANGled58 is offline   Reply With Quote