HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

D-day Poll: Will you go back?

View Poll Results: Will you go back when the NHL comes back?
Yes, I'm a sucker! I came back once, I'll go back again. 119 73.46%
No. I've had enough with these greedy ********. 43 26.54%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

vCash: 500
I'll be back. It's not like I ever spent money on them in the first place, so my absence means little to nothing to the owners.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2400
Anyone who voted no is full of ****.

If you spend plenty of time on a hockey forum, even during the off-season, you're hooked.

10-25-2012, 02:07 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 5113
Yes, I'll go back, but unless the lockout ends tomorrow and they start playing in November, it'll be a long, long time before I give the NHL any money again. That means no tickets, no gear, no videogames. All I'll do is watch on TV, and as I'm not a Nielsen family, it won't give them anything either. I can forgive a few lost games, but not a half season or more.

Only possible exception is if I visit my brother, sister-in-law, and niece in Durham this season, as I'll probably just be hypocritical and go just to go to another NHL venue. I'm willing to admit my hypocrisy there, though.

Beyond that, NHL's not getting any of my money this season if hockey comes back in the New Year or next season if the NHL loses a full year, and this is coming from a guy that had been planning on going to at least a couple games, buying a new sweater, and a new hat otherwise.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:08 PM
Cawz

People saying they wont come back arenít lying. They are just in denial.

And Iíd say the suckers are the people who wont come back. Youíve been a sucker the entire time youre been a fan, since you actually thought the NHL and the players cared about you. If your feeling are being hurt so much that you wont come back, you are a sucker for having those feelings in the first place. Hereís your reality check. The NHL is a business that uses you for your money.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

vCash: 50
Anyone still posting on an NHL board will be back. At least 99%.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Gormo
Holupchi

Certainly not for a long time. How could I?

Id feel like a ****** if I was sitting in the stands the first game back, or if I bought any merchandise as if nothing happened. Im tired of the NHL treating the fans like garbage.

The fans who will continue to attend games and buy merchandise as if nothing happened is the reason this situation exists in the first place.

Gormo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
Now that the deadline for a full 82-game season has come, will you go back when the NHL comes back?

Yes or No?
Yup. I love hockey, and I want to watch the best players in the world.

The league is making themselves look like a joke, and may lose a lot of sponsors, so they will suffer for this. They were also neck and neck with soccer in the U.S.. I doubt they'll win that fight.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Classless Goon
Robble Robble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
People saying they wont come back aren’t lying. They are just in denial.

And I’d say the suckers are the people who wont come back. You’ve been a sucker the entire time youre been a fan, since you actually thought the NHL and the players cared about you. If your feeling are being hurt so much that you wont come back, you are a sucker for having those feelings in the first place. Here’s your reality check. The NHL is a business that uses you for your money.
It is a customer driven business. Usually if the customers aren't happy, they stop buying your product. Why is anyone a sucker for doing just that?

Classless Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Gormo
Holupchi

The thing people somehow forget is the fans response to the MLB strike.

Attendance was abyssmal for a long stretch, and the MLB learned a valuable lesson.

Why to people think its impossible the same could happen here? Sure, youre a junkie for the game, but you cant speak for everyone else. Your assumption strikes me as being fairly myopic.

Do you seriously think everything will be hunky-dory and the NHL wont skip a beat once they start up again!? Whos really in denial here? The NHL is already suffering a severe identity crisis in a number of cities and a lockout will only serve to compound that problem.

Gormo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by gormo View Post
The thing people somehow forget is the fans response to the MLB strike.

Attendance was abyssmal for a long stretch, and the MLB learned a valuable lesson.

Why to people think its impossible the same could happen here? Sure, youre a junkie for the game, but you cant speak for everyone else. Your assumption strikes me as being fairly myopic.

Do you seriously think everything will be hunky-dory and the NHL wont skip a beat once they start up again!? Whos really in denial here? The NHL is already suffering a severe identity crisis in a number of cities and a lockout will only serve to compound that problem.
The think people seem to forget about the MLB strike is that it happened in the middle of a season and resulted in no end to that season.

That is 10000000x different than what the NHL is dealing with. Again, in the MLB they played 140 something games and had no ending. STH, fans, etc, bought tickets, invested time and energy into a season that did not have an ending. I would have been out over $2,000. You bet I would be pissed.

In the NHLs situation, it sucks if they do not play, but I am not out any money. Heck I get it back + 3% and get my rate locked in for next year.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gormo View Post
I hope they suffer for this. I really do, but I think fans will come back. We'll see, though.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:41 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Yes.

But these guys are still giant d-bags. Owners, players, Bettman, and Fehr. I lost a bit of respect for everyone because of this whole thing.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:33 PM
flameaholic
#neverquit

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
the results in this poll just prove that bettman is right. Treat the fans like complete garbage, but dont worry, they come running back to pay us money so we can just do this AGAIN in 7 or 8 yrs.
73% of the people that voted in this poll don't mind being a pawn in Gary Bettman and the owners' charade, and that right there makes them a sucker!

Who would want to support a league that goes into lockout mode every time the CBA expires?

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 10-25-2012 at 07:08 PM. Reason: sorry, please disregard...
flameaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:40 PM
AHockeyGameBrokeOut*

I'll go back... if there's anything left to go back to. Don Fehr has turned what should've been a simple CBA into a nightmare

AHockeyGameBrokeOut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:45 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
73% of the people that voted in this poll don't mind being a pawn in Gary Bettman and the owners' charade, and that right there makes them a sucker!

Who would want to support a league that goes into lockout mode every time the CBA expires?
I don't believe those voting no, but if true that should actually be alarming that 73% of what you should call your most die-hard fans (a hockey based board) is it as far as people staying. That means your casual fans numbers have to be looking terrible. I really only know one season ticket holder who had them for 38 years that said he will never watch or attend a game again and he is quite serious. But your die-hards won't make up a big part of the numbers leaving and that should not surprise anyone.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 10-25-2012 at 07:08 PM. Reason: qep
The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:46 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1031
Of course I will be back, so will everyone else who still spends time posting.

KingBogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:49 PM
questhockey

If the lockout lasts the year I will not buy any merchandise, or goto any games for 2 years.
If we lose part of this season which it looks like it's happening. Then I will not buy anything for 1 year, or goto any games.

Just a small F U from me... but I can't give up watching the NHL, so TV only.

questhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:52 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHockeyGameBrokeOut View Post
I'll go back... if there's anything left to go back to. Don Fehr has turned what should've been a simple CBA into a nightmare
As simple as the last one, oh wait Fehr wasn't here. How about the one before, oh wait Bettman's been here for all 3......

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:00 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender2.0 View Post
It is a customer driven business. Usually if the customers aren't happy, they stop buying your product. Why is anyone a sucker for doing just that?
They are a sucker becasue they were fans under false pretenses. Sort of like if you are dating someone who is obviously screwing around on you and you finally catch them red handed, are you sucker for staying with them after finding out, or are you a sucker for being with them in the first place?

Being a fan is being on the losing end of an abusive relationship. If you are a fan and dont realize this, then you are a sucker. If you are a fan and just accept that its shallow entertainment that uses you for your money, then you arent really a sucker. Just a realist.

Old
10-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
As simple as the last one, oh wait Fehr wasn't here. How about the one before, oh wait Bettman's been here for all 3......
So has the union. So maybe both Bettman and the union should be abolished.

Old
10-25-2012, 07:02 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
So has the union. So maybe both Bettman and the union should be abolished.
That would be the best, get rid of both.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Novacane

Of course I'll be back.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:15 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

I'll always be back

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Ugene Malkin
Hello Mr. Andersen

I'll be back to watch, but rest assure I won't be running out to buy any NHL products other than tickets and will not be throwing cash away at the rink.

You don't have to completely turn away, just have some inner strength about what you purchase and give them a dose of reality.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:42 PM
LSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
The think people seem to forget about the MLB strike is that it happened in the middle of a season and resulted in no end to that season.

That is 10000000x different than what the NHL is dealing with. Again, in the MLB they played 140 something games and had no ending. STH, fans, etc, bought tickets, invested time and energy into a season that did not have an ending. I would have been out over $2,000. You bet I would be pissed.

In the NHLs situation, it sucks if they do not play, but I am not out any money. Heck I get it back + 3% and get my rate locked in for next year.
I can imagine that Expos fan who attended all the games, taking his kid with him, spending hours and hours of his life talking and debating the season. Finally his dreams come true and his favorite team is leading the league, thinking " this is the year ". After 140+ games of pure bliss over a dream season, comes fehr and says " Sorry bro " .

Then not only did the dream season die, it set chain of events that lead to his favorite team relocating.. Very same team which games he only wanted to go with his kid, tradition that would have been passed down..

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote