HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

D-day Poll: Will you go back?

View Poll Results: Will you go back when the NHL comes back?
Yes, I'm a sucker! I came back once, I'll go back again. 119 73.46%
No. I've had enough with these greedy ********. 43 26.54%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-25-2012, 07:43 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

vCash: 500
Yep. I crave NHL hockey.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Stewie Griffin
Stewie Hockey™

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeD View Post
30 people are liars.
I've updated your post.

Stewie Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
24.21% of you are lying to yourselves.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:24 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
Now that the deadline for a full 82-game season has come, will you go back when the NHL comes back?

Yes or No?
the deadline was a joke and was infact two weeks ago.

Drop dead day for the season is Jan 1st 2013---no matter what the talking heads say

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 08:33 PM
jaems

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
24.21% of you are lying to yourselves.
It's funny I used to think the same way. One of my friends was even more of a die hard fan than I, but stopped following the NHL after the last lockout and instead migrated to watching professional soccer. I was like, 'are you crazy, why would you leave hockey after only one lockout?'

For me, this lockout has been a bit different. Whereas I could see justification for the last lockout this one seems so unnecessary especially to lose an entire season. I have started to move on to watching other sports (NFL especially / NBA) and taking up other hobbies. FWIW, I've watched the Avs since they moved from Quebec and the Leafs for decades so it's not like I'm just a casual fan who jumps on the bandwagon when the team is in the playoffs (Leafs? Playoffs? What's that?).

I'll keep coming back to HFBoards to read conversations especially when big news happen largely for the lols. But most likely I'll stop watching the NHL, stop promoting the game to others in the US where I work, stop buying any merchandise or tickets to games. I just lost a lot of respect for both parties during this lockout that the mystique of the NHL kind of wore off.

jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:00 PM
DJ Omnimaga

I'm only going back next season, or if the Nordiques returns this season (not likely), I'm only attenting one game (the home opener). Afterward I'll start attending whatever game I can again, though.

DJ Omnimaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:09 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Very reluctantly and will be boycotting a lot of the enterprises they have for a good while.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

I've lived overseas for years and don't ever hear about the nhl from news or from friends.

Last year I would wake up early in the morning every sunday to watch the leafs play on the internet.

But now that they're not playing, I find it almost convenient. No more 6 am sundays.

When the nhl comes back, I think I might not bother following. All after 20 plus years of being an avid fan.
It's also partly due to the fact that the leafs are a disgrace and after four years of Burke we're WORSE than when he go here.

That, combined with the lockout, has decreased my interest in the nhl to the lowest it's ever been.

I'll still follow the league on the internet and follow my fantasy leagues and such... but I could see this lockout as the beginning of the end of me following the nhl.

Disgruntled Observer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:04 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Depends on the duration and what I am doing when this eventually ends. I'll likely be back but watching less games and reluctant to purchase anything.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:41 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

I'll be back.

I love my Pens too much to turn my back on the team that has provided me with so many great memories over the past almost 20 years.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:21 AM
Ogopogo*

I question the intelligence of anybody on these boards talking hockey that says they won't go back to watching the NHL. Talking about it is as much as you will do? Yeah right. Coming here to talk regularly about something you say you don't care about is absolute foolishness.

Why the hell would I give up on somehting I love just because of a a battle over money? The lockout is completely irrelevant to my interest in the game.

Suckers are the shmucks that view this as a personal attack and let this dispute dictate what they do with their time when the game comes back. I know you will all love your decision to play scrabble on Saturday nights rather than watching NHL.

Last edited by Ogopogo*: 10-26-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:31 AM
Colt45Blast
It works every time!

vCash: 466
As I said in the past:

CBA issues won't stop me from watching the NHL again for the most part.

However!

If the NHL fails to keep the Coyotes in Arizona then I am done with the NHL.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:57 AM
AHockeyGameBrokeOut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
As simple as the last one, oh wait Fehr wasn't here. How about the one before, oh wait Bettman's been here for all 3......
Fehr was too busy locking out Baseball last time.

AHockeyGameBrokeOut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 05:07 AM
mytor4*

True hockey fans will be back the moment the puck is being dropped.I know it,you know it ,we all know it.Hell most casual fans will come crawling back.Those that don't come back weren't hockey fans period.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Oscar Acosta

vCash: 1066
I vote no but not in the line drawn standpoint. Just saying that this year I've taken to watching junior hockey and will continue to invest my time and money into that product this season.

I'll watch NHL definetely when it's back, just not paying to go.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:10 AM
GordonGraham

dont have a team so yeah ill be back to watching it for free on tv

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:20 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaems View Post
It's funny I used to think the same way. One of my friends was even more of a die hard fan than I, but stopped following the NHL after the last lockout and instead migrated to watching professional soccer. I was like, 'are you crazy, why would you leave hockey after only one lockout?'

For me, this lockout has been a bit different. Whereas I could see justification for the last lockout this one seems so unnecessary especially to lose an entire season. I have started to move on to watching other sports (NFL especially / NBA) and taking up other hobbies. FWIW, I've watched the Avs since they moved from Quebec and the Leafs for decades so it's not like I'm just a casual fan who jumps on the bandwagon when the team is in the playoffs (Leafs? Playoffs? What's that?).

I'll keep coming back to HFBoards to read conversations especially when big news happen largely for the lols. But most likely I'll stop watching the NHL, stop promoting the game to others in the US where I work, stop buying any merchandise or tickets to games. I just lost a lot of respect for both parties during this lockout that the mystique of the NHL kind of wore off.
I know what you're saying. It's a simple thing: to be a fan, you have to have a feeling like the players represent you in some capacity. But there's no way I could feel that for this PA. They're so unconscionably, undeservedly rich in this struggling society and indignant about the pettiest of cuts. Which of these guys am I supposed to feel proud about cheering his name?

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:28 AM
forgeSHIELD

As time goes on, the more I feel like a casual fan. If they lock out for the whole season, I might just watch it occassionally when my team appears on t.v. In the bible belt south, that isn't often for a Penguins fan.

forgeSHIELD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaems View Post

I agree with the whole post, but the bolded part hits home. I've been a die-hard Habs fans since before they put ads up on the boards and I've always had a certain respect/admiration for hockey players. This circus side show is changing that to resentment and disgust. I remember thinking last year as the CBA was expiring: there is no way they have another lockout within that short amount of time. I genuinely thought it was an impossibility, that they couldn't do that to the fans (and themselves really).

It's going to be hard for me to go back and just start cheering again as if nothing happened. Am I going to be able to stay away completely? Likely not, but blind enthusiasm and the quasi-religious fanaticism I've developed over the years is likely gone forever. There's just nothing for me to relate with anymore. There is too much of a disconnect between them and the real world I live in everyday. Like you say, the real damage here imo is that the mystique is gone. It's not about guts, glory, stories of perseverance and hometown heroes anymore, it's about the almighty dollar. It makes me sad to see what is happening to hockey.

And I also used to think the same way (in terms of people saying they won't be back are lying), but I think that's changed now. The damage is real.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:12 PM
capebretoncanadien

Yeah I'll be back but I'm not going to a single game....or buying any NHL licensed products.....the only thing I'm going to spend money on is my RDS subscription....which works out to like a buck fifty a month.

I really want to see this HRR pie they keep bickering about shrink significantly.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote