HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NHL Sponsor Boycott

Old
10-25-2012, 12:39 PM
BlueMapleDawg

vCash: 500
NHL Sponsor Boycott

I propose us fans do something for a change. I will personally write up a template letter and subsequent specific letters to all of the NHL's sponsors explaining to them how I will actively boycott their products and services as best I can.

I will explain how I will be proactive in choosing the alternative (Coca Cola vs. PepsiCo, Rogers vs Bell, Burger King vs. McDonald's, Toyota vs Honda) until the lockout is resolved.

I have NO idea if such a tactic will work. But maybe the sponsors would put pressure on the league to resolve the lockout. I personally am siding with the players (cautiously) for this particular lockout. I just want to watch some damn puck this year.

If there's any interest in you people joining me, or if there has already been an attempt, please inform me.

I will write up a letter soon. Even if it's just me, I will feel better about everything.

Here is a list I found on global.ca

McDonald's
Canadian Tire
U.S. Army
Gatorade
Bud Light
Honda
LG
Bell
Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide Inc.
Compuware
Kraft
Cisco
Geico
Reebok
Scotiabank
Enterprise
Pepsi Max
VISA
Verizon Wireless
Energizer
Ticketmaster
Bridgestone
Sirius XM Satellite Radio

BlueMapleDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:48 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

No interest in joining you whatsoever. Why would I want to put myself to that much trouble over the loss of a few hours of entertainment per week?

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:50 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 232
I have no interest but nort because it wouldn't be worth the effort, but because it won't accomplish anything imo. Plus I wouldn't feel right punishing the sponsers of the NHL as if the lockout is their fault. They're as much hurt by this as the fans are.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:52 PM
capebretoncanadien

I'm down.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 12:54 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
No interest in joining you whatsoever. Why would I want to put myself to that much trouble over the loss of a few hours of entertainment per week?
it might just be a few hours for you but it's at least 100 hours for me

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Human Bean
holy frijoles

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMapleDawg View Post
I propose us fans do something for a change. I will personally write up a template letter and subsequent specific letters to all of the NHL's sponsors explaining to them how I will actively boycott their products and services as best I can.

I will explain how I will be proactive in choosing the alternative (Coca Cola vs. PepsiCo, Rogers vs Bell, Burger King vs. McDonald's, Toyota vs Honda) until the lockout is resolved.

I have NO idea if such a tactic will work. But maybe the sponsors would put pressure on the league to resolve the lockout. I personally am siding with the players (cautiously) for this particular lockout. I just want to watch some damn puck this year.

If there's any interest in you people joining me, or if there has already been an attempt, please inform me.

I will write up a letter soon. Even if it's just me, I will feel better about everything.

Here is a list I found on global.ca

McDonald's
Canadian Tire
U.S. Army
Gatorade
Bud Light
Honda
LG
Bell
Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide Inc.
Compuware
Kraft
Cisco
Geico
Reebok
Scotiabank
Enterprise
Pepsi Max
VISA
Verizon Wireless
Energizer
Ticketmaster
Bridgestone
Sirius XM Satellite Radio
So you want to hurt these companies and cause more people to lose their jobs?

Human Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:00 PM
BlueMapleDawg

Quote:
Tons of fans watch more than one game a week. I know I watch a game every night and sometimes two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I have no interest but nort because it wouldn't be worth the effort, but because it won't accomplish anything imo. Plus I wouldn't feel right punishing the sponsers of the NHL as if the lockout is their fault. They're as much hurt by this as the fans are.
As fans we can't boycott the league. Buildings like the ACC are sellouts no matter what.

At the very worst it might make some noise. You don't even have to go through with it. At the very least you'll get a response from the companies acknowledging your concerns. If it happens enough I'm sure it'll work it's way up the corporate ladder. Doesn't take much effort to send an email when it's already typed out for you.

I'll even paste all the email addresses of all the company for you to put in the Recipient field.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Ogopogo*

You would be in a world of hurt if every company that makes toilet paper sponsored the NHL.

This will have no effect or benefit to anyone - and will make your life harder.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
It wouldn't matter. The players and owners don't care.

Don't you think NBC already has put more pressure on the league than any of these sponsors would be able to?

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

I'm not boycotting McDonald's because I'm pissed at the NHL. That's just ridiculous.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:19 PM
BlueMapleDawg

There are a hundreds of reasons to boycott McDonald's. This should be easy.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Ernie

Want to make a boycott that actually has effect?

If you're in Canada, cancel your cable sports package, or even better, cancel your entire cable subscription, and explicitly let 'em know that it's because of the lack of hockey.

There are 7 Canadian franchises. Hockey is THE sport in Canada, nothing else comes close. Losing subscribers will hurt the cable networks, which will cost the sports channels, which will then cost the teams (or, with the Leafs, Bell gets the triple whammy). Get 'em united in making a deal happen now.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Kitten Mittons

Boycotting the US Army is un-American! 'Murrica!!! Are there a lot of MasterCard users in this thread?

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Want to make a boycott that actually has effect?

If you're in Canada, cancel your cable sports package, or even better, cancel your entire cable subscription, and explicitly let 'em know that it's because of the lack of hockey.

There are 7 Canadian franchises. Hockey is THE sport in Canada, nothing else comes close. Losing subscribers will hurt the cable networks, which will cost the sports channels, which will then cost the teams (or, with the Leafs, Bell gets the triple whammy). Get 'em united in making a deal happen now.
This actually has an ounce of sense behind it. If you want to watch more than two games a week (ie. HNIC), you must have cable. Here in Ottawa, if you want TSN and SPortsnet, you're looking at $58 per month ($82 if you want them in HD). I'm willing to bet that there are a ton of people in Canada who have only kept their cable subscriptions so they can watch hockey. If enough people walk away from their subscriptions, that's a sizeable dent. And especially now with Rogers and Bell owning MLSE (not to mention all the media giants in the states that have ownership stakes), that'll actually mean something to the actual NHL owners.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Renbarg

Have fun, nobody will notice.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Mr Green

I don't understand how boycotting the NHL's sponsors would do much. These companies and organizations give money to the NHL for advertising and things like that. Don't you think they would be just as angry about the lockout as we are. They're losing a venue for advertisements. If you're going to boycott anyone why not boycott the companies that NHL owners invest in or personally own?

Mr Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:42 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

People usually boycott sponsors in an effort to stop them supporting a business. I don't think a boycott is appropriate here.

If Gary Bettman started making homophobic or racist statements then maybe write to the sponsors.

If you want to punish the NHL because of the lockout then boycott it when play resumes.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
YEah, this. If you think the sponsors aren't already ticked off at the loss of live games then you have another think coming.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Astoria
#ILEquestrian

Does anyone have any statistics on how much the NHL (fans, advertising, etc.) impacts their product? Do we as fans actually really make that much of an impact on revenues and advertising dollars?

Just curious...

Astoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Most advertizing money statistically speaking is a straight up waste, so probably not.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Mr Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Most advertizing money statistically speaking is a straight up waste, so probably not.
Tell that to the advertisers who throw an absolute fit and demand their money back when the boarder of their ad gets cut off in the newspaper I work for. haha.

Mr Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Erik Estrada

I don't know if I'd go that route, as it will hurt some corporations that aren't in any way responsible for the Lockout...

However if the Lockout goes on for long, I do think in the age of social media it's inevitable this sponsors boycott will happen. Yes it will be very damaging to those corporations. Yes it will be very damaging to the league... All the programming changes and corporate changes that followed past sponsors boycotts will testify to this.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Ari91

So you want to punish the sponsors (who have nothing to do with this) in hopes that it will speed up the process so you can get back to giving money to the two sides who are currently fighting over your money?

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:26 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

That's not nearly a complete list. lol

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Dan-o16

You want to boycott third parties over sports? Really? If you've got a beef with the NHL, boycott the NHL when they come back. Organize a mass cancellation of season tickets.

Boycott VISA because Gary Bettman wants a salary rollback? I mean, this is exactly like boycotting Coca Cola over their presence in apartheid South Africa. Right?

Come on,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote