HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles moving to Brooklyn in 2015 PART II *Name/colors stay*

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Isles Junkie

vCash: 500
can we start calling Matt Martin the Brooklyn Brawler

I don't know if this was posted yet, but here's a cool video tour of the inner workings of the Barclays. http://www.sbnation.com/2012/9/25/34...ena-tour-video looks pretty awesome.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:25 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
can we start calling Matt Martin the Brooklyn Brawler

I don't know if this was posted yet, but here's a cool video tour of the inner workings of the Barclays. http://www.sbnation.com/2012/9/25/34...ena-tour-video looks pretty awesome.
Wow I swear I also thought of that nickname for Martin

Old
10-28-2012, 04:29 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIschremp44 View Post

i really believe this design would satisfy everyone's agenda, it keeps the islanders colours, gives a nod to brooklyn sports history, and has the look that will even sell to non-hockey fan brooklynites. I can actually picture this being worn in rap videos or by some guy hanging out in front of a bodega on Putnam and Knickerbocker.
Wow these are sick, looks like the brooklyn dodgers . Brooklyn is a brand on its own already the revenue through shirts hats and everything else will be huge .

I just hope they don't take our hideous black thirds and throw" Brooklyn " on the front and call it a day

Old
10-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Wow these are sick, looks like the brooklyn dodgers . Brooklyn is a brand on its own already the revenue through shirts hats and everything else will be huge .

I just hope they don't take our hideous black thirds and throw" Brooklyn " on the front and call it a day
I have faith they won't do that. They seemed to hire some competant graphic designers over the last year. I really liked that promo they used for the preseason game vs the Devils. There's elements here that can be turned into a cool 3rd or a shoulder patch.

I was really shocked when our blacks leaked & were finally released. They're quite terrible. But I can't believe they'll just throw Brooklyn on it. They have to do something awesome.

Old
10-28-2012, 04:58 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
I have faith they won't do that. They seemed to hire some competant graphic designers over the last year. I really liked that promo they used for the preseason game vs the Devils. There's elements here that can be turned into a cool 3rd or a shoulder patch.

I was really shocked when our blacks leaked & were finally released. They're quite terrible. But I can't believe they'll just throw Brooklyn on it. They have to do something awesome.
I agree, the Brooklyn bridge would be great if they could incorporate that.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:42 PM
potvins4cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIschremp44 View Post

i really believe this design would satisfy everyone's agenda, it keeps the islanders colours, gives a nod to brooklyn sports history, and has the look that will even sell to non-hockey fan brooklynites. I can actually picture this being worn in rap videos or by some guy hanging out in front of a bodega on Putnam and Knickerbocker.

Great job. i really like those. that is the best suggestion of a 3rd jersey for this team that i have ever seen.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Brunomics

So I spent an extended weekend up in Salem and on Friday the gf and I decided to drive down to Boston to check it out. I've been kind of nostalgic on the Coliseum and as we were heading in we drove right past TD Garden. At that moment in time I basically went from feelings of nostalgia to let's get the hell out of that dump and into the Barclays already. Just being near a state of the art building like that blew the coliseum right out of the water.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:

This should be the new logo. Or at the very least the logo on the 3rd jersey.

Put it on hats, T-shirts, mugs, pennants etc.

Old
10-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
I was at the Barclays Center Friday night for Sensation. Let me tell you what an absolutely insanely gorgeous arena. The area around the arena is improving, as well.

I did not feel unsafe at any point in time. Everyone around the arena, even native Bklyn'ers were willing to help. Everyone is going to benefit from this move. We hit up a local deli for a delicious sandwhich and then went to Applebees right across the arena.

Inside, it's just a dream. You walk in and everyone greets you like it's a special place to be. It's like a palace. The "courtyard" as I'll call it is so expansive, you can just see Islander fans rallying outside and chanting "Lets Go Islanders" during playoff games.

I couldn't be more excited. From Ronkonkoma - ATL Yards was 1.5 hours. Long, a little. But you can pregame a bit before games. After the games, they'll have plenty of trains to shoot you back home. The train station is literally right there at the arena.

I can't wait.

I'll tell you, I had lost all faith regarding this organization. With the constant hirings of these loser hockey personnel to the arena, I truly did not believe we would have a reprieve. We just did. I'm not sure if Wang will follow up on this and do what's right by hockey fans and spend money and the whole lot, but I'll give him that chance before I give up again. He didn't have to make it this easy for Islander fans. Remember that..
Great post. Agree with it all. Saw RUSH there last week and I felt like a rock star with all the friendly greetings at the arena. They were trained well. They go out of there way to make you enjoy the time and the neighborhood is fine. We have new life from the dead and a chance to compete will be great.

Old
10-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
It isn't a reach because sports teams do not represent only the lone county that they play in. The Islanders play on Long Island, and a whopping THIRTY MINUTES from what is politically known as Long Island. There is no reason they can't have a name that reflects that.

One of the biggest detriments to the Islanders franchise as a brand, since it's inception was the idea (that is not shared by ANY other team in pro sports except maybe the GB Packers) that the team only represents the immediate area it plays in. The Rangers had no problem representing Long Island, as well as NYC, NYS, NJ, and CT, but the Islanders and their fans had the idea that the team can only matter to the people within a half hour of the arena. And gee, look, we're broke. It's time for the team to get away from that mentality and join the rest of pro sports where the teams represent the entire region in which they play.
Bingo. It's a big reason the Dumpiseum was always empty and NYI got no media coverage.

Old
10-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

this name change thing doesn't make any sense to me

Brooklyn, even if the people there don't accept the idea that they're part of "Long Island" in a socioeconomic sense (even that's debatable considering how many in Nassau and Suffolk have their roots in Brooklyn and Queens), is on an island. It's not like than the citizenry of Brooklyn and Queens imagine themselves as being part of mainland NYS, they surely notice the bridges and tunnels and the minor headaches when taking the subway to Manhattan. The name itself isn't what would make the team unfashionable in this little fantasy scenario, it would be the lingering stink of suburbia. So Brooklynization could easily be accomplished without crapping on 40+ years of history by eventually changing the logo to something that's not overtly Long Islandy. I'm not saying today or in 5 years or even 15, but IF the team's fanbase ever does reject the trappings of the Uniondale era, that will be the solution.

I doubt it will happen, though, since most people are capable of separating geographical Long Island (as in the hurricane example given earlier) from cultural Long Island (ie. LONG ISLAND MEDIUM). And adding Brooklyn and Queens solves that issue.

Old
10-28-2012, 10:36 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
this name change thing doesn't make any sense to me

Brooklyn, even if the people there don't accept the idea that they're part of "Long Island" in a socioeconomic sense (even that's debatable considering how many in Nassau and Suffolk have their roots in Brooklyn and Queens), is on an island. It's not like than the citizenry of Brooklyn and Queens imagine themselves as being part of mainland NYS, they surely notice the bridges and tunnels and the minor headaches when taking the subway to Manhattan. The name itself isn't what would make the team unfashionable in this little fantasy scenario, it would be the lingering stink of suburbia. So Brooklynization could easily be accomplished without crapping on 40+ years of history by eventually changing the logo to something that's not overtly Long Islandy. I'm not saying today or in 5 years or even 15, but IF the team's fanbase ever does reject the trappings of the Uniondale era, that will be the solution.

I doubt it will happen, though, since most people are capable of separating geographical Long Island (as in the hurricane example given earlier) from cultural Long Island (ie. LONG ISLAND MEDIUM). And adding Brooklyn and Queens solves that issue.
Great post . Yeahh I don't get why ppl are pretty much wanting a name change.

Old
10-28-2012, 11:29 PM
Steve55

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...pector_column/

Spector on Islanders: Bad smell in Brooklyn

So, can a move closer to Madison Square Garden become a metaphor for pulling this tired, haggard Islanders franchise back into the same stratosphere as the big-spending Rangers?

Well, the only answer we can come with off the tops of our head is, surely it can't hurt.

"Charles Wang is the real hero today," declared Barclay's Center owner Bruce Ratner of his newest tenant. "He has kept this team in New York State."

OK, so perhaps that's a place to start. With the truth:

Let's make one thing clear: Charles Wang is no hero. He is, in fact, likely the cheapest, most misguided owner this league has seen in some time.

Perhaps we've found a winner here. Congrats, Nassau County.

I wonder what this idiot will say if the Oilers leave Edmonton since he was spoiled by those 5 stanley Cups.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/bios/mark_spector/

Birthplace:
Edmonton, Alberta
First media job:
Sportswriter, Edmonton Journal, May 1987.
Career highlight:
Twelve Stanley Cup finals; Three World Series; Two Super Bowls; Four Olympic Games; Eleven Grey Cups.
Special interests/hobbies:
Cycling; cross-country and downhill skiing; baseball, hockey.
Bio: Grew up in the best town, at the best time, for a Canadian kid who loved sports. I turned 13 the same week the Eskimos won the 1978 Grey Cup, and scarcely missed a home game over the next five years as Warren Moon and the Eskimos won five straight Grey Cups.

Last edited by Homeland Security: 10-29-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Shortened due to copyright.
Old
10-29-2012, 12:07 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Wang's already taking $200 deposits for season tixs for Barclays. He needs to fill those luxury boxes and premium seats.

I think we are gonna see Wang open his checkbook, like we did when he first bought the isles. His spending bought about a 41 pt turnaround in the standings, along with a playoff spot.

The isles have a more talented group of youngsters now, then they had when Wang greenlighted the moves for Osgood, Peca and Yashin. He has Tavares and Hamonic to build around. But, I expect Snow will bring 1-2 quality, young vets who will still be on the roster in 2015-2016.
Alex Edler ? Clowe? Perry and Getzlaf are both ufas next summer, although some Duck fans sound confident that the low key Perry will sign an extension.Travis Zajac?

Or maybe Snow looks to the trade market, with teams looking to get under the cap.

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?...1&fa_type_id=2
The most obvious fruit to pluck for him too. He gets a team happy to cough up an expensive ticket item for cheap and a guy with a decent resume looking to prove they can still shine.

And don't forget, Wang expects them to make the playoffs this year. hah.

Old
10-29-2012, 01:04 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...pector_column/

Spector on Islanders: Bad smell in Brooklyn

So, can a move closer to Madison Square Garden become a metaphor for pulling this tired, haggard Islanders franchise back into the same stratosphere as the big-spending Rangers?

Cups.
2 of the most disappointing days for many Canadian writers and fans, are the day Tavares signed his 6 yr extension and the day Wang signed that 25 yr lease agreement with Barclays Center

Old
10-29-2012, 01:13 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
The most obvious fruit to pluck for him too. He gets a team happy to cough up an expensive ticket item for cheap and a guy with a decent resume looking to prove they can still shine.

The playoff comment surprised me. Then I recalled the postseason comments , about getting more consistency from their young vets(Grabner ,KO ,Bailey)+ how big a pickup they feel Vis can be.
We are likely to see him greenlight payroll additions for a playoff run.

Old
10-29-2012, 01:23 AM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
Bingo. It's a big reason the Dumpiseum was always empty and NYI got no media coverage.
And losing had nothing to do with it?

Oh, right...location, location, location.

Old
10-29-2012, 03:04 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post

I said a big reason I didn't say it was the only reason.

Location is the reason they moved. They left a crappy one where nobody cared for a great one.

As I predicted.

Old
10-29-2012, 03:30 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post

No joke. Yeah, a floundering team with a cheapskate owner that hired a backup goalie to be the GM, President and head scout and so on, that gave 15 years to a guy whose knees couldn't hold up for the first five years he played, a team that refused to compete in UFA season but always opted to get first line talent from 1995 to play 3rd and 4th line seasons in 2005 (to present)......yeah, that team would do soooo much better if they had nicer restrooms and eateries.

Location beats winning 10 times out of ten!

The team folds in ten years I bet. Pricey tickets in Ranger country with Snow and Wang running cheapskate ops locked into a 25 year deal with no revenue outside a chunk of box seats and 41 dates at lowest seat totals in the NHL....what could possibly go wrong?

Old
10-29-2012, 08:43 AM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
No joke. Yeah, a floundering team with a cheapskate owner that hired a backup goalie to be the GM, President and head scout and so on, that gave 15 years to a guy whose knees couldn't hold up for the first five years he played, a team that refused to compete in UFA season but always opted to get first line talent from 1995 to play 3rd and 4th line seasons in 2005 (to present)......yeah, that team would do soooo much better if they had nicer restrooms and eateries
Many of Wang's decions early on had little to do with finances. Mostly had to do with lunacy...keeping Milbury as a GM way longer than anyone else, firing Billy Jaffe, alienating many of the alumni, firing Laviolette, firing Nolan, the Neil Smith debacle, hiring Snow. Then there were the financially motivated decisions that have hurt the team...Yashin's contract, DiPietro's contract, the UFA's who wouldn't sign here because of the team's uncertain future past 2015 (and the lack of playoff success since 1993), our current bargain-basement coach (because what coach with any type of credentials would want to work here right now). I'm sure there are other things I failed to mention.

Theses instances helped to continue a losing legacy that created the apathy that surrounded the Isles since the mid-1990s. An apathy so great that I believe it caused the 10% of the registered voters who voted in the arena referendum to defeat it 57-43 (pay for a new arena for the Islanders??? They stink!!!). Shortsighted on their part but I can understand the motivation.

Quote:
The team folds in ten years I bet. Pricey tickets in Ranger country with Snow and Wang running cheapskate ops locked into a 25 year deal with no revenue outside a chunk of box seats and 41 dates at lowest seat totals in the NHL....what could possibly go wrong?
[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't go that far. Yet.

If the Isles hit the ground running in Brooklyn I can see them becoming successful quickly and creating a new fan base to replace those who don't want to make the trip in from Nassau and Suffolk. Even in "Rangers country".

But Charles Wang still owns the Islanders right now, and I question his decision making processes when it comes to running this team.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:45 AM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post

Wang must know there isn't going to be a season.

Old
10-29-2012, 08:59 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Wang must know there isn't going to be a season.
Or he runs around his office every morning in a leather helmet yelling, "We're undefeated!" making airplane wings with his arms. Both situations rated plausible.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Islander102

Quote:
No joke. Yeah, a floundering team with a cheapskate owner that hired a backup goalie to be the GM, President and head scout and so on, that gave 15 years to a guy whose knees couldn't hold up for the first five years he played, a team that refused to compete in UFA season but always opted to get first line talent from 1995 to play 3rd and 4th line seasons in 2005 (to present)......yeah, that team would do soooo much better if they had nicer restrooms and eateries.

Old
10-29-2012, 11:59 AM
potvins4cups

Some people choose to see and believe what they want to. nevermind that an article came out just a few days ago that said the islanders are projected to make $35 million dollars more annually on the low end at the barclays than they make at the coliseum.

Old
10-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Steve55

Quote:

I think the Isles get sold before then.

Closed Thread