HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles moving to Brooklyn in 2015 PART II *Name/colors stay*

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Bexlyspeed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
can we start calling Matt Martin the Brooklyn Brawler

I don't know if this was posted yet, but here's a cool video tour of the inner workings of the Barclays. http://www.sbnation.com/2012/9/25/34...ena-tour-video looks pretty awesome.
only problem is that the brooklyn brawler, steve lombardi, was a jobber in the WWF, and he never won a match

Old
10-29-2012, 06:10 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

Still feels weird that there's going to be a hockey team in Brooklyn, when I think of Brooklyn I think the Bronx Bombers.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
10-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Still feels weird that there's going to be a hockey team in Brooklyn, when I think of Brooklyn I think the Bronx Bombers.
When you think of Brooklyn, you think of a team that plays in the Bronx?

Old
10-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Are you drunk?

Old
10-29-2012, 10:36 PM
Daaaarryyl

This is from a poster on a Mets board (a Rangers fan who's brother has worked across the street from the Barclay's Center for years) :

The first thing I ever said, in going to my brother's building across the street from the arena -- years before they even contemplated the Barclays Center?

"Your building has a LIRR hub downstairs? That must be very convenient for colleagues from L.I."

This has always been a pretty obvious location for the Isles. No matter how many were in flat-out denial about it coming to fruition.

I wish them luck there. Not TOO much, but enough to make them attractive to legitimate players. It can only make the Rangers want to step up in their own attempts.

Old
10-29-2012, 10:42 PM
Daaaarryyl

This is from a poster on a Mets board (a Rangers fan who's brother has worked across the street from the Barclay's Center for years) :

The first thing I ever said, in going to my brother's building across the street from the arena -- years before they even contemplated the Barclays Center?

"Your building has a LIRR hub downstairs? That must be very convenient for colleagues from L.I."

This has always been a pretty obvious location for the Isles. No matter how many were in flat-out denial about it coming to fruition.

I wish them luck there. Not TOO much, but enough to make them attractive to legitimate players. It can only make the Rangers want to step up in their own attempts.

Old
10-30-2012, 03:42 AM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaaarryyl View Post

However, it seemed like the Isles were looking at other local options up to August for sure.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ders-1.3940131

Published: August 30, 2012 8:32 PM
By STEVE ZIPAY steve.zipay@newsday.com

Yormark said Barclays executives "remain very interested" in a possible relocation of the Islanders to Brooklyn in 2015 if no deal is reached to remain in Nassau. "Discussions are continuing, although the goal at this point is to work with what we have on our schedule," he said...

Meanwhile, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said a potential move by the Islanders to Atlantic Avenue remains "an intriguing possibility. But there's a lot of road between here and there."

Sound like another viable local options besides Brooklyn were available (likely Queens) at the time. Nassau was no longer an option after Wang showed no interest in the latest RFQ/RFP for the Nassau Hub.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/brookl...HrMoEaoxs26ZgM

Posted: 6:52 PM, September 26, 2012

Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov says he won't consider buying the Islanders or another NHL team and moving them to Brooklyn until he first makes good on a promise to deliver the borough an NBA championship by 2015.

"First I need to have a championship, so after this I can think — but not before," Prokhorov told the Post following Friday’s ceremonial ribbon-cutting of the new Barclays Center.

The 6-foot seven-inch Russian billionaire then joked, "I used to play hockey when I was a schoolboy, but I was too tall."

Barclays Center officials are trying to convince the Islanders to relocate to Brooklyn when its current lease deal with Nassau Coliseum expires in 2015.

When asked if it’s important to have a second pro team playing in Barclays Center with the Nets, Prokhorov said he only has 45 percent interest in the arena and that arena developer Bruce Ratner "knows best."

"If [Ratner] wants to, it’s great, but it is better for him to make the decision," Prokhorov said.

Although Barclays Center holds 18,200 for basketball, it can only hold 14,500 for hockey.

And because of sight restrictions, a U-shaped seating configuration will be implemented during hockey contests at the arena with sections behind one of the two goals closed off.

It seems that Brooklyn became the only local option sometime after late August.

Last edited by Steve55: 10-30-2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old
10-30-2012, 05:23 AM
Wanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
Are you drunk?
No, he is canadian.

Old
10-30-2012, 05:25 AM
Wanderson

Well, I'm very happy about this move. And everyone should be that, even people who lives in Nassau/Suffolk. It's much better than Quebec, Hamilton, Seattle or KC.

I'm sure that loads of players wants to play for the Isles now. Not because of the new arena, because of the location. If Charlie starts to invest some money, Islanders will be a very good team soon.

The future is bright...

Last edited by Wanderson: 10-30-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old
10-31-2012, 08:09 AM
lorwood

Quote:
I am sure that most Long Islanders would know the difference from Old Montreal and Mount Royal

Brooklyn is geographically part of Long Island as it sits on the south west portion of the Island.

It is one of the five boroughs that make up New York city.

The Bronx (where the Yankees play) is North of Manhattan.

Brooklyn (really a city within a city) was once home to the Brooklyn Dodgers and a rival of the NY Yankees, so traditionally Brooklyn would be considered NY Mets territory.

So they are close to being at the opposite ends of New York City.

BTW IMO you guys have the best jersey (sweater) in all of sports.

Old
10-31-2012, 11:53 AM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
I am sure that most Long Islanders would know the difference from Old Montreal and Mount Royal

Brooklyn is geographically part of Long Island as it sits on the south west portion of the Island.

It is one of the five boroughs that make up New York city.

The Bronx (where the Yankees play) is North of Manhattan.

Brooklyn (really a city within a city) was once home to the Brooklyn Dodgers and a rival of the NY Yankees, so traditionally Brooklyn would be considered NY Mets territory.
So they are close to being at the opposite ends of New York City.

BTW IMO you guys have the best jersey (sweater) in all of sports.
It's fortunate that Wang decided to go to Brooklyn so the Isles can access the Brooklyn and Queens fan base and quash the notion of the Isles staying in Nassau regardless of what was offered.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
It's fortunate that Wang decided to go to Brooklyn so the Isles can access the Brooklyn and Queens fan base and quash the notion of the Isles staying in Nassau regardless of what was offered.
Very fortunate. Plus they can access fans from Manhattan, Westchester, Rockland and Jersey etc now too as well as Brooklyn and Queens.( We'll let nassau and suffolk fans come for kicks if they want.).

Old
11-05-2012, 08:56 AM
stranger34

So I proudly wore my Tavares Jersey as I rode the LIRR from NHP station to the Barclays Center for the Nets home opener...

Very positive response, tons of people on the train taking an interest and asking me questions. At the game it spurred quite a few conversations and comments. Brooklynites are going to embrace this team, every European I saw at the game was asking me about the Islanders and can't wait for the team to get there. I even got a few rangers fans telling me wearing it to a Nets game was inappropriate. I am pretty sure I was the only Isles jersey in the arena.

The arena itself is GORGEOUS, Upper deck is a bit steep, which creates a great feeling of being on top of the action, but might take some getting used to for a hockey game. Corner upper deck reminded me of when I saw a Raptors game in Toronto, but better... more intimate.

It's not the coliseum but i don't think sitelines will be a problem for the reduced seats.

The challenge is going to be making the place "home" I have a bad feeling it's going to have a feel similar to seeing the Nets/Devils at the Izod.

Last edited by stranger34: 11-05-2012 at 09:04 AM. Reason: additions
Old
11-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
So I proudly wore my Tavares Jersey as I rode the LIRR from NHP station to the Barclays Center for the Nets home opener...

Very positive response, tons of people on the train taking an interest and asking me questions. At the game it spurred quite a few conversations and comments. Brooklynites are going to embrace this team, every European I saw at the game was asking me about the Islanders and can't wait for the team to get there. I even got a few rangers fans telling me wearing it to a Nets game was inappropriate. I am pretty sure I was the only Isles jersey in the arena.

The arena itself is GORGEOUS, Upper deck is a bit steep, which creates a great feeling of being on top of the action, but might take some getting used to for a hockey game. Corner upper deck reminded me of when I saw a Raptors game in Toronto, but better... more intimate.

It's not the coliseum but i don't think sitelines will be a problem for the reduced seats.

The challenge is going to be making the place "home" I have a bad feeling it's going to have a feel similar to seeing the Nets/Devils at the Izod.

I hear ya. I wore an Islanders shirt to see RUSH at Barclay's 2 weeks ago. Lots of positive comments on the train and in the arena.

That's just it as this team will get more exposure/self advertising just from fans riding the trains showing the logo/colors and travelling throughout the tri-state area to get to the games as opposed to just going by car to NVMC and having just those fans attending the game see the Isles apparel. Hell they already were fans but now many new potential fans will be reached just by the sheer volume of people in the city and riding trains being made aware.

The sightlines will be great and it might take a while but the arena is so intimate it will feel like home before too long.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:01 PM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Wow these are sick, looks like the brooklyn dodgers . Brooklyn is a brand on its own already the revenue through shirts hats and everything else will be huge .

I just hope they don't take our hideous black thirds and throw" Brooklyn " on the front and call it a day
Can i buy this yet? please?

Old
11-05-2012, 02:31 PM
dcv2002

I had my Isles hat on yesterday walking through the Diamond District on 47th Street. The Russians their like the hat... The Isles will be the cool New York team to like, not that corporate Rangers crap team....

Old
11-06-2012, 03:51 AM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
As a Mets fan, there was a lot of that kind of sentiment when CitiField opened: "It's not Mets enough, the seats are green, the walls are black and sandstone, it doesn't feel like home."

But what is "Boston" about a giant green wall? (Or a Citgo Sign?) Nothing but the fact that the Red Sox have played in front of the Monster for like eight decades.

It's the not the walls or signs, or unique things like the Apple that makes somewhere home. Shea Stadium actually had green outfield walls for almost 20 years.

It was "home" because it was where we saw Seaver, Gooden, Strawberry, Hernandez, Carter, Piazza, Wright and Reyes play their home games for the Mets. Where Dykstra, Strawberry and Piazza hit epic home runs; Swoboda, Agee and Chavez made amazing playoff catches, where the ball went through Buckner's legs and Orosco's glove went up but we never saw it come down.

CitiField feels a hell of a lot more like home after Santana's no-hitter; and Barclays will feel like home after a while.

A few years down the road, we'll have the same routines after goals like we have now. Goal is scored, horn sounds, LED's start flashing Islander's themed goal graphics, the same goal song starts going, the same PA announcer tells us who got it, crowd reacts the same. It will become normal.

Maybe we'll come up with some new traditions. I look forward to seeing the fans do the wave at Barclays. It sounds weird because the wave is so cliche, but with the horseshoe shaped arena, I want to see what happens: Will the fans pause for the time it should take for the wave to move across the gap with no seats?

Barclays will become our home, when the banners are up, and we're used to seeing our guys play there. And hopefully, win some freaking playoff series there. I'm 34 years old, and I probably couldn't remember the last time we won a playoff series at home if not for Dale Hunter. It didn't register then that it was going to be a significant moment. I just assumed we'd do it again within the next 20 years.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Bert Marshall days

There's a poll on TSN Canada asking -

Do you think NYI should change their name with the move to a new arena in Brooklyn?

So far it's 50% yes 50% no after 62,000 votes

But then it's canada so I doubt many of those voting "yes" realize that Brooklyn and Queens are on Long Island or they still just want the team up there.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/

Old
11-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post

Do you think NYI should change their name with the move to a new arena in Brooklyn?

But then it's canada so I doubt many of those voting "yes" realize that Brooklyn and Queens are on Long Island or they still just want the team up there.

TSN pretty much ignored the Isles arena saga while paying a lot of attention on the Oilers and Coyotes. Until the Isles reached the Brooklyn agreement that is.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:46 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
TSN pretty much ignored the Isles arena saga while paying a lot of attention on the Oilers and Coyotes. Until the Isles reached the Brooklyn agreement that is.
Well, it is called the Toronto Sports Network. There is a definite Canadian bias.

Personally, I could care less what TSN thinks about the whole Isles to Brooklyn.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:30 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:

If the isles had zero tradition, then erasing the past is ok. However, they do have a special place in hockey and the hockey hall of fame.

Otherwise, Brooklyn Arsenal would be a nice touch.

Old
11-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:

I live in Brooklyn and I say yes.

I think eventually it will happen.

Old
11-06-2012, 05:30 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
If the isles had zero tradition, then erasing the past is ok. However, they do have a special place in hockey and the hockey hall of fame.

Again....

The NEW YORK Jets & Giants Play in NEW JERSEY and no one says a thing. And the Jets entire history of 50 years comes down to Joe Namath's finger and no one even in Jersey is calling for them to change their name.

So why are we having this discussion about the NEW YORK Islanders changing their name when they will still be playing in NEW YORK?

It's total lunacy. The Brooklyn Arsenal is a great name actually...For some other franchsie. The Islander name should, and will, stay as is with a 3rd jersey being the only change at best.

Old
11-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Bexlyspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post

Bingo!

Old
11-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Well, it is called the Toronto Sports Network. There is a definite Canadian bias.

Personally, I could care less what TSN thinks about the whole Isles to Brooklyn.
It's actually called The Sports Network. But I get what you're saying.

With the Brooklyn move, I realized that even those who don't care about the Isles can't ignore a relocation news. One knockout blow is greater than many jabs (Oilers and Coyotes arena updates).

Closed Thread