HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles moving to Brooklyn in 2015 PART II *Name/colors stay*

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2012, 01:05 AM
blitzkriegs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Again....

The NEW YORK Jets & Giants Play in NEW JERSEY and no one says a thing. And the Jets entire history of 50 years comes down to Joe Namath's finger and no one even in Jersey is calling for them to change their name.

So why are we having this discussion about the NEW YORK Islanders changing their name when they will still be playing in NEW YORK?

It's total lunacy. The Brooklyn Arsenal is a great name actually...For some other franchsie. The Islander name should, and will, stay as is with a 3rd jersey being the only change at best.
Because the change from NY to NJ would significantly impact the franchise values of those teams in the negative - that's why no one says a thing. The league nor it's owners would proffer such a change. While NJ would certainly love it's name attached to it, they can sit idly by collecting "NY" money once a week for 16 plus weeks a year. Who is gonna argue with that?

The Isles, unlike a lot of other sports team, are identified with a suburban team, albeit under the NY name. It is NY, but it ain't really NY in the sense of NYC. The Isles could still be the New York Isles in BC. I don't expect there to be a name change under Wang's ownership. If Rattner buys them and the Brooklyn thing goes well for the nets, then watch out - he May want to establish HIS product as Brooklyn versus being " NY " especially if the Brooklyn name carries significant brand weight.

Again, the Isles have a legacy that is important to the league. I doubt anything happens beyond third jersey marketing stuff ( Isles please do not use the same idiots that made the last jersey...thank you) until they settle into BC and see where it goes from winning, branding, and ownership.

Old
11-07-2012, 02:40 AM
Bert Marshall days

NYI moving from the suburbs to Brooklyn is no different than the Caps moving from suburban Landover to downtown DC. Their name didn't change and neither should NYI's. It's not a re-location just a minor local move.

NYI's name is in the record books and as pathetic as they have been for 20 years they do have a brand if marketed correctly. As pro-Brooklyn as I have been, the name should remain New York Islanders forever as long as they play in the NY metro area on geographical LI which Brooklyn is.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I live in Brooklyn and I say yes.

I think eventually it will happen.
Do you think the Atlantic Center mall next to the Barclays could be the Isles/Nets home after 2040? Hopefully whoever owns it doesn't make the same design error.

Old
11-07-2012, 06:03 PM
StrongIslanders90

will there be a team store in Brooklyn before 2015??

Old
11-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:
I live in Brooklyn and I say yes.

I think eventually it will happen.
The one scenario I can see it happening is if the Isles really struggle for a few years to attract fans in Brooklyn. However, if they're successful there really would be no point in changing it.

Personally, I wouldn't have minded the team being named Brooklyn. Changing the Islanders name though would be a bit too much to stomach.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:11 AM
VinnyV88

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Because the change from NY to NJ would significantly impact the franchise values of those teams in the negative - that's why no one says a thing. The league nor it's owners would proffer such a change. While NJ would certainly love it's name attached to it, they can sit idly by collecting "NY" money once a week for 16 plus weeks a year. Who is gonna argue with that?

The Isles, unlike a lot of other sports team, are identified with a suburban team, albeit under the NY name. It is NY, but it ain't really NY in the sense of NYC. The Isles could still be the New York Isles in BC. I don't expect there to be a name change under Wang's ownership. If Rattner buys them and the Brooklyn thing goes well for the nets, then watch out - he May want to establish HIS product as Brooklyn versus being " NY " especially if the Brooklyn name carries significant brand weight.

Again, the Isles have a legacy that is important to the league. I doubt anything happens beyond third jersey marketing stuff ( Isles please do not use the same idiots that made the last jersey...thank you) until they settle into BC and see where it goes from winning, branding, and ownership.
If, IF, they ever do change the name, I can see them doing something like LA Angels of Anaheim or whatever they are called now. I can see them calling themselves the Brooklyn, NY Islanders. Anyone from Brooklyn, like me, can relate to the "Brooklyn, NY" and the rest of the island can relate to the "Islanders". They can keep the crest, banners and history the same and the logo might look something like this:

Old
11-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Knish Of The Crease

The Brooklyn Islanders of Long Island New York

Old
11-08-2012, 12:07 PM
dcv2002

Isn't it nice to be arguing over what the name of the team will be in three years, instead of wondering/worrying/arguing over WHERE the team will be in three years. Different perspective and it's nice.

I wouldn't mind if they changed to the Brooklyn Islanders, but they should keep Islanders (and probably keep New York). They should identify with Brooklyn too, but keep their Long Island roots. And there definitely needs to be a Brooklyn themed 3rd jersey and they should get someone competent to actually design it.

Old
11-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
Do you think the Atlantic Center mall next to the Barclays could be the Isles/Nets home after 2040? Hopefully whoever owns it doesn't make the same design error.
Who knows what will happen in 28 years. If the Isles & Nets are a huge success, or even a modest success, then they'll probably stay. If the Knicks & Rangers prove to have too much of a stranglehold on the market & the Isles/Nets flounder forever, then they'll probably move out of Brooklyn.

Old
11-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Who knows what will happen in 28 years. If the Isles & Nets are a huge success, or even a modest success, then they'll probably stay. If the Knicks & Rangers prove to have too much of a stranglehold on the market & the Isles/Nets flounder forever, then they'll probably move out of Brooklyn.
If that happens I hope the Isles/Nets can relocate to Queens.

Old
11-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
If that happens I hope the Isles/Nets can relocate to Queens.
Well I don't really care about basketball. But that's where I wanted the Isles to be all along. It gives them NYC, but its so much closer to the fanbase, and there's a multitude of highways that go right by Citi Field. Plus a NYI/NYM partnership makes all the sense in the world.

Old
11-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Isles Fan

Why is the logo and name even being discussed? Wang said the name, logo and colors stay the same.

What's to talk about?

Old
11-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post
Why is the logo and name even being discussed? Wang said the name, logo and colors stay the same.

What's to talk about?
And if (when) Wang sells?

Old
11-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Knish Of The Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Fan View Post

What's to talk about?
Nothing to talk about. That's why the same old crap is being regurgitated. We should be talking about the Islanders and their 10-0 start of the season.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Islander102

The name and colors are staying at the insistence of the league, not Wang so I don't think a potential sale matters much.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:53 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
The name and colors are staying at the insistence of the league, not Wang so I don't think a potential sale matters much.
I read a post shortly after the press conference, saying someone had tweeted, that the NHL was not allowing the isles to change the colors or logo.

Thank you nhl front office, if that's true.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Islesin93*

they will eventually change the name and most definitely they will change the logo

They might decide on the Brooklyn Islanders, but anyone who thinks they are going to keep the logo with Long Island is kidding themselves

Old
11-08-2012, 10:46 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
they will eventually change the name and most definitely they will change the logo

They might decide on the Brooklyn Islanders, but anyone who thinks they are going to keep the logo with Long Island is kidding themselves
Bettman is kidding himself. The NHL hierarchy is kidding themselves.

Old
11-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Islesin93*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Bettman is kidding himself. The NHL hierarchy is kidding themselves.
is there something in writing that says the Islanders will permanently have their franchise named the New York Islanders and their logo will remain the same logo we have known for the last 40 years? (save for the fishstick years)

like I said, 5 years into the tenure at Brooklyn, they will see the Isles are not clicking well with the Brooklyn crowd and they will change it

Old
11-10-2012, 01:37 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost35 View Post
is there something in writing that says the Islanders will permanently have their franchise named the New York Islanders and their logo will remain the same logo we have known for the last 40 years? (save for the fishstick years)

like I said, 5 years into the tenure at Brooklyn, they will see the Isles are not clicking well with the Brooklyn crowd and they will change it
Oh, should they write it and do a secret handshake?

Old
11-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Hipster Doofus

The smplist move would be to amend the island on the logo and include queens and brooklyn. Seems silly not too.

Old
11-12-2012, 01:03 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
The smplist move would be to amend the island on the logo and include queens and brooklyn. Seems silly not too.
NYI's logo will look stupid in 2015 without Brooklyn included if they keep the current logo. It's a simple tweak to add Brooklyn and Queens to make it geographical LI to the current logo especially since they're keeping the name Islanders. Many people and casual fans won't even notice I'd bet.

Old
11-12-2012, 07:24 AM
Strummergas

Once again, what is the benefit of changing the name of the team 5 years or more into its tenure in Brooklyn? By then, millions of dollars would have been spent promoting the New York Islanders in NYC. Are they really going to rebrand the franchise after they've already been playing in a locale for 5 or more years? If they were going to do this, they would be doing this for 2015, BEFORE the team has a chance to establish any identity in their new home.

I really think some folks are still in temper tantrum mode over the move, hence the speculation over this.

Old
11-12-2012, 11:17 AM
VinnyV88

For all saying there is no way a logo/color scheme would ever happen, let's not forget that this team has already gone through a logo and color scheme change (The fishsticks fiasco).

Yes, it was a terrible mistake and should have never happened, but if the NHL was willing back then to let a historical team change their identity (for no good reason), why do you think they wouldn't let it happen again (for a somewhat legitimate reason)?

I'm hoping it's just a minor tweak, adding brooklyn and queens to the logo... but you never know...

Old
11-12-2012, 11:26 AM
IslesNorway

The New York Islanders is a famous name and one that has been around for 40 years. No need to change something that everyone knows about despite the move. Brooklyn is New York and keeping the name would just invite more fans.

Closed Thread