HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT NBA Memphis Grizzlies sale approval (rumored price $350m)

Old
10-25-2012, 03:04 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
OT NBA Memphis Grizzlies sale approval (rumored price $350m)

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=408122

Quote:
The NBA board of governors has approved Michael Heisley's sale of the Memphis Grizzlies to a group headed up by a California technology entrepreneur.

The NBA announced the sale's approval Thursday. The sale still must be finalized, and the Grizzlies said in a statement that is expected soon.
Pera has lined up a group of minority partners including Memphis businessmen, actor and singer Justin Timberlake, former NBA player Penny Hardaway and four-time NFL MVP Peyton Manning's wife, Ashley.
Quite an impressive/well-known lineup of minority owners.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

Sounds like Van city's getting the team back!

Be interesting to see where it goes....

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:30 PM
stuffradio

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Sounds like Van city's getting the team back!

I use to like the NBA more than the NHL. I watched it more than the NHL. Then they took the Grizzlies away from me. I went to the last game in Vancouver, and they gave away free wallets and bags that I still have from then.

stuffradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:55 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
As in move?

They ain't moving. Stadium is under 10 years old.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:56 PM
scotchex

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
As in move?

Plus all those minority investors are local Memphis bigshots and celebrities.

scotchex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Ringmaster316

Michael Heisley shall never return to Vancouver...lying weasel

on another note why is Memphis still using our nickname?

weren't they going to become the express?(for fedex)

Ringmaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 05:50 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
the grizzlies fate in vancouver was similar to the fates of the jets and the nordiques in the NHL. The canadian dollar at the time simply prevented them from competing.

If they had been fortunate enough to find an owner willing to hang on another 5-6 years, i have no doubt that it would have worked out, and that the grizzlies would be worth more than $350M today. It's not like anything went better in memphis, they supposedly lost over 100M under heisley's ownership, and attendance was always below vancouver numbers. 160M purchase price (not sure if this included the 30M relo fee) means somewhere between 110-140M profit on the franchise, minus at least 100M in operating losses, plus whatever ancillary non basketball profit was generated in memphis. I guess heisley ended up doing OK on the deal, but he probably would have done better had he not moved the team.

Last edited by danishh: 10-25-2012 at 05:57 PM.
danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
As in move?

Apparently you don't understand the economics of Memphis very well

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

Don't they know they can have the Coyotes for half that?

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:24 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster316 View Post

They were but the NBA overruled it because they didn't want to set the precedent of selling the team names. They were also negotiating with Louisville and were going to be the Colonels if they went there and the arena (no joke) was going to be called "The KFC Bucket"

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster316 View Post

I can see why they didn't....

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 06:40 PM
bruinsfan46

I feel like if you move a team it better be going to a strong market with a need. Memphis has been a pretty dreadful market from what I know. It is a Memphis based group so it appears like they're staying.

bruinsfan46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:01 PM
aqib

they are basically locked in until 2021. After that they have out clauses depending on attendance, suite sales, and club seat sales. Even then they would have to pay like $63 million to get out of the lease (basically the bonds left on the arena) and that figure declines by about $8 million a year until the end of the lease in 2029. The guy who bought the team is worth over $1 billion so $63 million isn't a back breaker but its still a lot

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
I feel like if you move a team it better be going to a strong market with a need. Memphis has been a pretty dreadful market from what I know. It is a Memphis based group so it appears like they're staying.
It's hard to tell because they've been pretty bad the entire time, last season was their most successful. They've been averaging about 15k the last couple of years, up from 12-13k the handful of seasons before that.

Memphis is definitely a basketball town, high school and college are huge there, but is it an NBA town? I think it's similar to the Minnesota Wild, supposedly they are very happy to have an NHL team, but it's high school and college that drive hockey there. Difference being of course that the Wild still do very well at the gate.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 07:50 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
the grizzlies fate in vancouver was similar to the fates of the jets and the nordiques in the NHL. The canadian dollar at the time simply prevented them from competing.

If they had been fortunate enough to find an owner willing to hang on another 5-6 years, i have no doubt that it would have worked out, and that the grizzlies would be worth more than $350M today. It's not like anything went better in memphis, they supposedly lost over 100M under heisley's ownership, and attendance was always below vancouver numbers. 160M purchase price (not sure if this included the 30M relo fee) means somewhere between 110-140M profit on the franchise, minus at least 100M in operating losses, plus whatever ancillary non basketball profit was generated in memphis. I guess heisley ended up doing OK on the deal, but he probably would have done better had he not moved the team.
Sorry. I disagree 100% with most of this

I lived in Vancouver and the problem that the grizzlies has
In no order

1) The GM was an idiot and there is no other way to say. Bad drafting and even worse trading. The first owners of the Grizzlies ask the NBA who they thought would make a good GM in Vancouver and they were told Stu Jackson--who had been a coach briefly but not a GM. This was done for reasons that may not have had a lot do with him being the best guy for the job, but because the NBA wanted more Minorities in key position with teams. Jackson was working for the NBA at the time and went back to the NBA once he was fired. He did not know how to build a team. HE was a nice, I met him a few times(he met season ticket holders the first few years), he just was a horrible GM and went into hiding the last two years the team was in Vancouver.
2) Vancouver is is one of the most beautiful cities in the world--but the NBA stood by when players bashed the city and when star players missed games to do appearances else where or in the case of Shaq--to go to his graduation. I actually met more NY Nicks then grizzlies. Big Country Reeves is indicative of stupid moves by the Grizzles--He lived in Apartments next to the Arena-but he was rarely seen in the city. Him and Bibby made it clear they hated playing in the city. And the Francis draft pick was the final insult.
3) When the guy who just sold the team bought the team--he made ZERO effort in keeping the team in Vancouver. All his management team all got only 6month leases on their houses in Vancouver and the guy in charge of selling tickets--lived in San Fran and one of the first things he did was to shut down the wall of phones--every pro sport team has their own style of the wall of phone--is cities like Vancouver they are for selling tickets in more established cities it is more for contact with season ticket holders. I was a season ticket holder (via the hotel I worked for at at the time) and getting a hold of people in the ticket office was a joke.The final year in Vancouver the new owners put no effort into making it work--they talked a good game--but did nothing in reality

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:19 PM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post

In no order

1) The GM was an idiot and there is no other way to say. Bad drafting and even worse trading. The first owners of the Grizzlies ask the NBA who they thought would make a good GM in Vancouver and they were told Stu Jackson--who had been a coach briefly but not a GM. This was done for reasons that may not have had a lot do with him being the best guy for the job, but because the NBA wanted more Minorities in key position with teams. Jackson was working for the NBA at the time and went back to the NBA once he was fired. He did not know how to build a team. HE was a nice, I met him a few times(he met season ticket holders the first few years), he just was a horrible GM and went into hiding the last two years the team was in Vancouver.
2) Vancouver is is one of the most beautiful cities in the world--but the NBA stood by when players bashed the city and when star players missed games to do appearances else where or in the case of Shaq--to go to his graduation. I actually met more NY Nicks then grizzlies. Big Country Reeves is indicative of stupid moves by the Grizzles--He lived in Apartments next to the Arena-but he was rarely seen in the city. Him and Bibby made it clear they hated playing in the city. And the Francis draft pick was the final insult.
3) When the guy who just sold the team bought the team--he made ZERO effort in keeping the team in Vancouver. All his management team all got only 6month leases on their houses in Vancouver and the guy in charge of selling tickets--lived in San Fran and one of the first things he did was to shut down the wall of phones--every pro sport team has their own style of the wall of phone--is cities like Vancouver they are for selling tickets in more established cities it is more for contact with season ticket holders. I was a season ticket holder (via the hotel I worked for at at the time) and getting a hold of people in the ticket office was a joke.The final year in Vancouver the new owners put no effort into making it work--they talked a good game--but did nothing in reality
1) No idea about the minorities being in visible positions of power argument, but Jackson's incompetence was legendary. Totally agree about that.

2) Agreed. The way the NBA players acted here was something that really soured me on the NBA generally, aside from not really liking basketball generally. Draft picks wouldn't report, free agents avoided Vancouver like it was Chernobyl, to find Blue Edwards you could just follow the trail of paternity suits, Doug West (I think) told the press he sat down and drank 16 Heinekens when he found out he got traded here, some idiot couldn't find a supermarket, it just went on and on. Shareef Abdur-Rahim was the one and only player on the team that actually seemed to like being here. He was always a class act, and he was the only thing about the Grizzlies I was actually sad to see go. Everything and everyone else about that franchise: Out. Now. Your stuff, box, parking lot, taxi, airport. Go. Leave. Stay gone.

3) Doesn't surprise me at all. What I remember about the last regime was how they all came in and said: "Oh no, we're not moving the team. No way. Uh-uh. Not us, no way. We love it here. It's awesome. We'll make it work, really...oop, season's over, we're moving the team. Bye." At that point, I just wanted the NBA and everyone associated with it out.

Don't have any hard feelings about Memphis or the fans there, but I really hope Heisley lost a hell of a lot of money over the last decade.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:39 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
1) No idea about the minorities being in visible positions of power argument, but Jackson's incompetence was legendary. Totally agree about that.

2) Agreed. The way the NBA players acted here was something that really soured me on the NBA generally, aside from not really liking basketball generally. Draft picks wouldn't report, free agents avoided Vancouver like it was Chernobyl, to find Blue Edwards you could just follow the trail of paternity suits, Doug West (I think) told the press he sat down and drank 16 Heinekens when he found out he got traded here, some idiot couldn't find a supermarket, it just went on and on. Shareef Abdur-Rahim was the one and only player on the team that actually seemed to like being here. He was always a class act, and he was the only thing about the Grizzlies I was actually sad to see go. Everything and everyone else about that franchise: Out. Now. Your stuff, box, parking lot, taxi, airport. Go. Leave. Stay gone.

3) Doesn't surprise me at all. What I remember about the last regime was how they all came in and said: "Oh no, we're not moving the team. No way. Uh-uh. Not us, no way. We love it here. It's awesome. We'll make it work, really...oop, season's over, we're moving the team. Bye." At that point, I just wanted the NBA and everyone associated with it out.

Don't have any hard feelings about Memphis or the fans there, but I really hope Heisley lost a hell of a lot of money over the last decade.
he did not lose money--he made a killing because he had arranged a sweetheart deal with Memphis and the cooperate business there.
Heisley did what all busines do--he picked where and when to say how he lost money on the Grizz--an example of this is he said he lost 60mill the last year in Vancouver --incuded in that figure is the 30mill paid to the NBA to move the team and not included is the money he got from memphis and companies to move the team. He claimed he lost 100 mill in two years after he moved the team, but yet again, when asked to produce that actual figures in proper form he did not and gave a basic spread sheet with no proper breakdown. He rolled loses from other business onto the grizzlies accounts to make it look worse then it was.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:55 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

btw --I believe he bought the grizz for 160 to 180

Old
10-25-2012, 10:12 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
Apparently you don't understand the economics of Memphis very well
If you think a group of mostly wealthy Tennesseans plans to move the team, then obviously you don't.

Their attendance isn't phenomenal, but a lot of NBA teams' aren't. Having been to a game there in Jan 2011, I must say it is the perfect place for a team.
1 - Only game in town, UMemphis excluded
2 - Beautiful stadium
3 - Excellent location right on Beale Street. Makes for a great night out, even if you have no interest in the NBA, like myself.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 11:40 PM
GDAWG

Memphis now doesn't have to use a cannon to throw T-Shirts.

GDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 12:13 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:

In no order

1. Correct. Stu Jackson was a nice guy but a ****** GM. Google Bryant Reeves for details.

2. Vancouver is well behind many NBA cities as a place to live - places like Miami, LA, Phoenix and New York are all much more desirable places to be and, on weather alone, Orlando, Houston, Dallas, Sacramento, Atlanta, Memphis, New Orleans, Charlotte and others are better choices. Also, why would an American want to go to a foreign country to play?

3. Vancouver is not a basketball city. Any city that sells only 9,000 tickets to see the defending NBA champion Spurs (I was there in '99 to see the half empty arena) has no business being in the league.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:43 AM
TorontoSports

Toronto had all of the same stigmas that the grizz had in Vancouver back in the mid 90s. Now it's a different story. Yes people like Bosh and Carter left.. but that was after 7 years! Can't really blame them for wanting to win. Winning cures everything. Of course Stu Jackson was not a winner.

Stern regrets the Vancouver move anyway, and the NBA thinks of vancouver as a city in their future plans.

TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:55 AM
stuffradio

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
1. Correct. Stu Jackson was a nice guy but a ****** GM. Google Bryant Reeves for details.

2. Vancouver is well behind many NBA cities as a place to live - places like Miami, LA, Phoenix and New York are all much more desirable places to be and, on weather alone, Orlando, Houston, Dallas, Sacramento, Atlanta, Memphis, New Orleans, Charlotte and others are better choices. Also, why would an American want to go to a foreign country to play?

3. Vancouver is not a basketball city. Any city that sells only 9,000 tickets to see the defending NBA champion Spurs (I was there in '99 to see the half empty arena) has no business being in the league.
Same reason an American would want to go to a foreign country to play hockey.

I and a lot of other people watched. I was there in 2000 on the final game, and I think a couple other games also.

stuffradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Tinalera

Quote:
As in move?

I just meant seeing how the whole situation shakes out over time-didn't mean "move" in the literal sense (though it stirred debate anyway it seems )

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:19 PM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
Quote:
he did not lose money--he made a killing because he had arranged a sweetheart deal with Memphis and the cooperate business there.
Heisley did what all busines do--he picked where and when to say how he lost money on the Grizz--an example of this is he said he lost 60mill the last year in Vancouver --incuded in that figure is the 30mill paid to the NBA to move the team and not included is the money he got from memphis and companies to move the team. He claimed he lost 100 mill in two years after he moved the team, but yet again, when asked to produce that actual figures in proper form he did not and gave a basic spread sheet with no proper breakdown. He rolled loses from other business onto the grizzlies accounts to make it look worse then it was.
Piss me off. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post

1) Check.

2) Well, we've had Americans, Swedes, Finns, Russians, Danes, Czechs, and Slovaks here to play hockey, plenty of Americans to play football and baseball, and a mixed bag of potpourri for soccer. Don't hear any complaints from them. Basketball...ooooo. Different story.

3) Fine. Good reason to stay gone.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote