HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT: NFL Films, the Sabols, and how we learned to watch football

Old
10-25-2012, 03:16 PM
Crease

vCash: 500
OT: NFL Films, the Sabols, and how we learned to watch football

And now for something a bit different...

Nice narrative by Rich Cohen over at The Atlantic. Some Exerpts:

Quote:
[Producer Ken] Rodgers was at his desk, watching footage from a recent game and writing the narration that would accompany the banner plays. “If there’s a hard run where a guy bounces off a couple tacklers, we won’t say ‘Marshawn Lynch ran for 42 yards on a touchdown to tie the game at 17,’ ” he told me. “That doesn’t mean anything, if you watched the game. We’ll write something like ‘The power in his legs was matched only by the fearlessness in his heart.’ ”
Quote:
Steve hired former NFL players to work the cameras, because they could better anticipate where the play was going. “I remember watching the camerawork, saying to myself, How do those guys do that?” said Hank McElwee, a cameraman and the director of photography at NFL Films. “They were getting angles you had never seen. On TV, you’d always see the shot from the main camera, which sits high above the stadium—never any handhelds. And here was this little company doing slow motion, doing sound. They were on the field. I remember saying ‘Boy, that really makes you feel like you’re part of the game.’ ”
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...ball/309083/2/

Annecdotal evidence, but I know a lot of casusal fans who tuned into NHL's 24/7 series. The NFL does an excellent job broadcasting their games, pushing story lines and making things interesting for those who need a little extra juice to sit through the game.

Does the NHL have a Films department, or do they outsource that to their partners (e.g., NBC, CBC, HBO)?

Last edited by Crease: 10-25-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:39 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Sabol

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Crease