HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

It's Not About Winning Or Losing. It's About Who Gets The Blame (CBA/Lockout) XVI

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2012, 08:55 PM
King of Anarchy

vCash: 500
Quote:
"the two sides are close enough to a deal that missing the bulk of a season is wrong and missing an entire season is not only insane, it is a blatant disregard for the sport, the fans and the culture we have grown over decades -- just to satisfy egos, not the needs of either side," miller wrote.
Thank you!

Old
10-25-2012, 08:55 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAX View Post
I think it's just the opposite, the players think the league needs the winter classic and will try to stall until then.
...and the NHLPA will be proven wrong, yet again.

Old
10-25-2012, 08:58 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeD View Post
Ryan Miller shares his frustration:

"If a team needs a goalie, I need to start considering it."

"I think that a deal is there to be made and recent events lead me to believe the NHL is simply testing us," he wrote. "After they have satisfied their curiosity about the strength of our resolve we will have real negotiating for the first time in this whole debacle."

"The two sides are close enough to a deal that missing the bulk of a season is wrong and missing an entire season is not only insane, it is a blatant disregard for the sport, the fans and the culture we have grown over decades -- just to satisfy egos, not the needs of either side."

"Consider that Canadian broadcasting rights are up for negotiations by 2014 and the Islanders will be in a new facility by 2015. Those are just two examples of things that are certain to put a lot more money into the league," he wrote. "I am sure we can sit down and come up with many more examples, and speculate on other things that Gary (Bettman) will never admit to until a CBA is drafted, like relocation or expansion. So when the owners want us to take less than our latest proposal you have to remember they are asking for all of this and holding hockey hostage knowing they have a lot of new revenue coming down the line and they have seen us move toward them in every category. The least they could do is honor our contracts and find a way to start the hockey season."

Full article at http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/85...ying-elsewhere
Hey shocking a guy with a college degree frames the debate without looking like a complete nincompoop.

That last paragraph should be the players line, not the stupid stuff we have been hearing. Still think they have to drop to 50 quicker than they do, but he is doing a far better job of expressing his views than even his union leader here.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:02 PM
AirheadPete
G-Dub

Good for miller. He has definitely earned brownie points with me.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeD View Post
Ryan Miller shares his frustration:

"If a team needs a goalie, I need to start considering it."

"I think that a deal is there to be made and recent events lead me to believe the NHL is simply testing us," he wrote. "After they have satisfied their curiosity about the strength of our resolve we will have real negotiating for the first time in this whole debacle."

"The two sides are close enough to a deal that missing the bulk of a season is wrong and missing an entire season is not only insane, it is a blatant disregard for the sport, the fans and the culture we have grown over decades -- just to satisfy egos, not the needs of either side."

"Consider that Canadian broadcasting rights are up for negotiations by 2014 and the Islanders will be in a new facility by 2015. Those are just two examples of things that are certain to put a lot more money into the league," he wrote. "I am sure we can sit down and come up with many more examples, and speculate on other things that Gary (Bettman) will never admit to until a CBA is drafted, like relocation or expansion. So when the owners want us to take less than our latest proposal you have to remember they are asking for all of this and holding hockey hostage knowing they have a lot of new revenue coming down the line and they have seen us move toward them in every category. The least they could do is honor our contracts and find a way to start the hockey season."

Full article at http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/85...ying-elsewhere
This has to be the most well articulated response I've heard from a player sharing the PA perspective. Thank you Ryan Miller.

I disagree that they've moved toward the league in every category. The PA has only countered HRR issues despite the several other topics the NHL has addressed in their proposal so it's not possible that they've moved toward the NHL in every category when they only focus on one category to discuss. They've moved toward a 50/50 split, the issue is obviously how to get there while honouring contracts.

It was the PA that called for more revenue sharing and the league has moved toward them in that regard. It was the PA that called for more services to the players and upgraded comfort and travel and the league supposedly moved toward them in that as well. It seems that the league's concessions are relatively minor concessions that have been agreed upon in those closed door non-HRR meetings that happened earlier.

His comments about about the league testing their resolve before they proceed with negotiations - that sounds like something Fehr would tell the PA but at the same token, it's not necessarily a tactic I disagree with. You can't break your resolve for any offer that's put in front of you and you have to show that you're willing to sacrifice something for what you think is fair. What remains to be seen is if there's a practical end game here for the players. Are they calling bluff knowing that there's a better offer waiting for them in order to get some hockey in this season or do they really not care and will watch a season float right by them without any reconsideration of what their approach should be?

Last edited by Ari91: 10-25-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old
10-25-2012, 09:04 PM
Krishna

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle
Some pretty interesting developments in hockey world tonight... stay tuned.

wonder what that's about

Old
10-25-2012, 09:05 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

wonder what that's about
Prolly nothing

Old
10-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 613
Quote:
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

wonder what that's about
Secret meeting?

Old
10-25-2012, 09:07 PM
CK17

The PA keeps mentioning all the concessions they've made, I would really like to know what they are. The only thing I've seen is future growth.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:08 PM
Ollie Weeks

Miller showing how it should be done.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:09 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

wonder what that's about
I'd assume something insignificant - All players get their own XBox in their hotel so they can get into the game the night before... But the Fehr rejected it because he likes Game Cube better, we're at an impasse yet again.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:10 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Why would the other owners of the league care whether or not MSG is broadcasting other hockey games? This doesn't show dissension at all.
I think his comment was in response to the poster he quoted. I think the article is separate. He probably put it all in one post to avoid making a separate post for the article.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:10 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Something going on?? Is that the only report stating that?

Old
10-25-2012, 09:11 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

wonder what that's about
Probably something we already heard.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Ari91

Quote:
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

wonder what that's about
Can't read much into anything because it'll just cause disappointment. It's probably something about some controversy over the OHL player of the week, lol.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:12 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

I have a feeling it will be something about the KHL or other leagues reaction to the lockout. Notice the tweet says "hockey world", not NHL CBA negotiations or something singling out the NHL.

Old
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

wonder what that's about

They negotiated a time to meet to negotiate.

Old
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

wonder what that's about
NHL axes Winter Classic, takes the one bullet the PA thinks they have left in the gun.

He better not be talking about them pulling the offer, that isn't interesting or a development at this point.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:14 PM
CanesAvs16

Quote:
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

wonder what that's about
Can't let myself get excited, because we all know it will just be another disappointment

Old
10-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Shwag33

I still can't believe the players think they are going to win.

Miller saying.... 'once they test our resolve'. Yeah 1 year from now we'll see how strong your resolve is.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:15 PM
urho

Quote:
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

wonder what that's about
He just has a hunch that something might happen... in the hockey world, somewhere. I know Ville Mäntymaa getting knocked out cold in a FEL-game looked pretty bad

Old
10-25-2012, 09:18 PM
Egil

Not that anything is for sure or even likely to happen, but it is certainly possible that we get an agreement tonight.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:18 PM
Gm0ney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Hey shocking a guy with a college degree frames the debate without looking like a complete nincompoop.

That last paragraph should be the players line, not the stupid stuff we have been hearing. Still think they have to drop to 50 quicker than they do, but he is doing a far better job of expressing his views than even his union leader here.
That last paragraph about new revenues coming with the Canadian TV deal and the Islanders new arena - the players will get 50% of that! Any short term monetary decline in player salaries are recouped as league revenues grow. If you take 50% of the $3.3 billion HRR number that's been reported, that results in a $62.5 million cap. Last year's cap was $64.3 million...so there's a less than $2 million difference.

If the CBA had expired on June 30 this year, we'd be talking about a 3% difference instead of the 12% that's become the PA's rallying point.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:19 PM
HockeyShack

vCash: 50
I like what Miller said, but I don't agree with it. Just because there is more revenue, doesn't mean the owners still don't need the 50% to remain profitable.

Old
10-25-2012, 09:20 PM
lost puck

The Miller comment was nicely worded...though you could say the same thing just replace the word owners with players. Both sides are trying to hold on for what they want, but if someone doesn't budge then what's the point. It's a staring contest between two mannequins at this point

Closed Thread