HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

It's Not About Winning Or Losing. It's About Who Gets The Blame (CBA/Lockout) XVI

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Bettman certainly won't be tired when this is over.

He made a ridiculous offer that set things back 8 years exactly between the PA and the owners.

He then makes a bend-over proposal. And walks out of the room after 10 minutes when the PA tries to counter.
Well, that "bend-over" proposal would still mean billions more dollars for the players over the next 6 years compared to what they got over the last 6. I wish my employer would make me such a terrible offer.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Retail1LO

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoytoSakic View Post
Just read up on the little twitter battle between Dreger and Walsh. Have to say Dreger didn't really do much, it was Walsh talking the most smack and trying to call him out. It's unfortunate for the players I guess when the media isn't telling the world how the greedy horrible owners are ruining the lives of the players.
LOL Ruining the lives of the players. Yeah. Those owners that make players millionaires are bad bad men. Just awful. I have no idea how the players are going to survive the rest of their lives, seeing as how most of them, regardless of what stage in their career they are, have all made more money than most of us will this lifetime.

Ruining the lives of the players. Woe is the players. Boohoohoo for the players. I can't even imagine the hardships involved in having a salary SO high...that losing 12-15% of it is a million bucks. lol Pooooooooor players.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Buttonwood
feaster in the groin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy77 View Post
The players are being used. The PA is willing to cost a few hundred jobs and millions in lost salaries to fight a battle they cannot possibly win ?

Fehr is doing his members a disservice, if he just wants to fight something he doesn't believe in at the expense of their salaries and careers.
He took this gig to WIN, not maximize his players welfare and earnings.

Oh well, everybody's loss.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post
Because the owners can save face now and both sides are 'happy' with no deal.

NHL can say they "tried" with the offer, even though they weren't all on board, and improve their PR image.
Why even take the risk of it getting accepted if owners don't like it? It's not that I doubt whether it's true, it just makes no sense to put out an offer you don't like and have take the risk that it might get accepted.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Hanklite*
Bettman's Bro

So now nothing will happen til Nov. 22 at the earliest. Just bought ourselves 3 weeks of posting about nothing. This ought to be fun.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:22 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttonwood View Post
He took this gig to WIN, not maximize his players welfare and earnings.

Oh well, everybody's loss.
That statement doesn't make sense to me..isn't "winning" exactly "maximizing his players welfare and earnings"?

Fehr may be despicable, but make no mistake his job is to make money for his clients. His latitude is that it isn't measured in a year or two, but longer. He only "wins" if he earns them money in the mid-long term, and he has the ability to sacrifice some short term if it leads to the ultimate goal. There's just no way the guy is in it to be deemed "winner" by the media or the like regardless of his client's bottom line. That just doesn't stand to reason.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:25 AM
sabresfan129103

Oh well, some of our prospects needed more time in the AHL anyways.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:31 AM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

vCash: 50
Ours too (Jets) - have a great young pool of players.

Watch out NHL in....2015?! (whenever NHL starts again).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
Oh well, some of our prospects needed more time in the AHL anyways.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:33 AM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
the players can't be ALL this dumb can they?
i wanna see some cracks!
Penalty killers, 4th liners and other fringe players, who comprise about 75% of the league want to play.

It's the other brats, the ones who don't have to worry about money again ever, and a huge ego in Fehr that are still driving this.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Zoombie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT21 View Post
BS...... no way the proposal is even tabled without majority owner consent.
You can have majority owner consent and still have a few owners who don't like the deal...
We heard this before that some owners felt they were were giving up too much with that deal and it would be hard to get them on board again for something equally PA friendly on any future offers.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:35 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

I've never seen a more pathetic run business in my life.

Most asinine thing EVER.

Potentially missing a season and millions and millions to save a couple of millions after already locking out not even a decade ago. Lost of words. The stupidity of these people is beyond belief.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:36 AM
SuperUnknown

NHL Plan C:

Purchase AHL franchises, sell them rights to use NHL team names and logo, agree to an owner friendly CBA with AHLPA, then leave the NHL hanging. Have a "rights draft" for players, then all teams start with a better cost structure and equal opportunity in hiring (former NHL) players.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:37 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
I've never seen a more pathetic run business in my life.

Most asinine thing EVER.

Potentially missing a season and millions and millions to save a couple of millions after already locking out not even a decade ago. Lost of words. The stupidity of these people is beyond belief.
How true, both Bettman and Fehr should be embarassed...and both should get fired...if it's all about image for both of them, then let them both go, and get 2 guys who can negotiate...

Old
10-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Uh oh....

@andystrickland: Sources say #NHL pulled latest offer from the table partly because not every owner liked the deal. Several clubs weren't on board
This was known last week that the 50/50 offer was not unanimous inside NHL owners circle as several felt it was too much to give up. I think Renaud Lavoie reported it.

Old
sabresfan129103

So when do they cancel the entire season? Around the 20th of December?

Old
Buttonwood
feaster in the groin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
That statement doesn't make sense to me..isn't "winning" exactly "maximizing his players welfare and earnings"?

Fehr may be despicable, but make no mistake his job is to make money for his clients. His latitude is that it isn't measured in a year or two, but longer. He only "wins" if he earns them money in the mid-long term, and he has the ability to sacrifice some short term if it leads to the ultimate goal. There's just no way the guy is in it to be deemed "winner" by the media or the like regardless of his client's bottom line. That just doesn't stand to reason.
Longer than the scope of the average NHL career?

The expect value of each of his clients lifetime earnings are dropping by the day, not only in relative terms, but absolute terms. That is to say, not only will they lose checks now, they will get a less favorable deal in the mid-term, and trip up the long-term growth of the league, which they will always get a significant chunk of. I've only taken one game-theory class, and as much as I hate to say it, Bettman is in the right. Fehr has no reason to hold out for more, except to feed his own ego. Certainly not winning in the tradition sense, which is making more money for his clients.

Old
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Down goes Brown called it back when they gave Kelly the boot:... Penny: All in favor of firing Kelly, taking a hostile approach towards ownership, getting ready for a drawn out CBA battle, losing another season or more, alienating our few remaining fans, bankrupting the league and spending the rest of our lives working at Tim Hortons and wondering what the hell happened... say aye!
Ya, precisely what came to mind when I read the news today... four thousand holes in Blackburn Lancashire, oh boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanklite View Post
So now nothing will happen til Nov. 22 at the earliest. Just bought ourselves 3 weeks of posting about nothing. This ought to be fun.
Seasons' a goner'. Im guessing half of next may be as well, doesnt get resolved until the league itself is standing on the brink.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Phelan

I guess the best part of the owners' getting the NBC revenue this year, is that there's no players to share it with. I wonder what happens to HRR 5 years from now when NBC gets a free year? That's potentially less HRR for the players to receive that year.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:40 AM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Penalty killers, 4th liners and other fringe players, who comprise about 75% of the league want to play.

It's the other brats, the ones who don't have to worry about money again ever, and a huge ego in Fehr that are still driving this.
Link?

Old
10-26-2012, 11:41 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelan View Post
I guess the best part of the owners' getting the NBC revenue this year, is that there's no players to share it with. I wonder what happens to HRR 5 years from now when NBC gets a free year? That's potentially less HRR for the players to receive that year.
The PA don't care, they get to keep their sponsorhip monies, no HRR there...

Old
10-26-2012, 11:44 AM
unifiedtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Uh oh....

@andystrickland: Sources say #NHL pulled latest offer from the table partly because not every owner liked the deal. Several clubs weren't on board
I'm hoping some moderates start to ignore Gary and his draconian media blackout. Ilich, Aquilini and those types have to eventually step forward and say "what the **** are we doing"?

The question is, when do they finally break and how much pull do they have. You can't tell me that all the owners are lock step with Gary, Jacobs and Leipold.

Personally, I think it's over. Nothing will happen until the end of Novembers when they see December having to be cancelled. Third week of November they start talking, talks break off and the NHL cancels the first half of December, hoping to keep the fans on board and keep the Winter Classic on the schedule.

First week of December they cancel the rest of December and then nothing happens until the New Year. The season gets cancelled in the middle of January and then it gets REALLY ugly.

It is truly astonishing to me we are at this point.

I'm not optimistic, can you tell?

Old
10-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
I can't see that happening until February.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
I'm going to bet that they'll cancel it when they are forced to cancel the Winter Classic and the 24/7 contract with HBO.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:47 AM
unifiedtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post

Seasons' a goner'. Im guessing half of next may be as well, doesnt get resolved until the league itself is standing on the brink.
If this season gets canned (which I do believe will happen) the league will be on the brink. You simply can not cancel a season every 6 years and expect to have any credibility. You can not negotiate a CBA every half dozen years with the "don't talk, lock out, hardball, cancel season" negotiating strategy.

I truly believe the moderate owners are the leagues only hope at this point. When do they finally step up and ask "what are we doing".

Old
10-26-2012, 11:49 AM
unifiedtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
I'm going to bet that they'll cancel it when they are forced to cancel the Winter Classic and the 24/7 contract with HBO.
I'm of the opinion they will do one more "try and save a 40 game season" push in the middle of January and then cancel it. The league will wait until the last second to can it.

Closed Thread