HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

It's Not About Winning Or Losing. It's About Who Gets The Blame (CBA/Lockout) XVI

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2012, 01:42 PM
CerebralGenesis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I still think the NHL's recent proposal that kept it at an 82 game season would have been close or even accepted if it was put to vote
no brah, the players are united under Fehr and he has their best future in mind.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:42 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey93 View Post
They do? First I've heard of it. Makes me wonder why people keep bringing up how the players are 'Missing paychecks' and how Bettman said 'They've already lost more in pay than they would have under our proposal'.

If they had a snowball's chance in hell of getting their full pay this year....deadlines would mean absolutely nothing. Cancelling games would mean absolutely nothing.
He was kidding.....

Old
10-26-2012, 01:44 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

The NHL's last proposal should have been put to a god damn vote.

Now they're losing more money by missing games, but oh of course it's all about principle. These greedy ******** are actually trying to go on ethics and morals.

Than there's the total lack of business sense and disregard for the health of the game. With each announcement and cancellation they are sinking the game.

And damitt Fehr, NO the NHL is not bluffing on these deadlines. We'll see what they are saying a week from now when the Classic is cancelled. Absolute morons, thickheaded, ignorant and disgusting.

Such a sad sad case. Goodbye for now NHL, I'm moving on to the NBA season starting next week and kicking up my interest in the NFL.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperUnknown View Post
You get paid market value in the end. That's how free economy works. Why should McDonalds pay $15 for a burger flipper if someone else (with the same qualifications, including experience) is just waiting to do the same job for $14?

If the worker is still paid more at $14 than at other comparable jobs, then he should be happy they aren't just replacing him.

Btw, I'm underpaid based on my qualifications compared to market value and if I was working at a place that overpaid my, then I'd be expecting a paycut or the company to be in trouble. If my employer was to cut my salary, I'd be on the market for a new job and would leave pronto. I wouldn't complain endlessly.
Are you in a Union? That isn't how Unions work. And I'm not naive enough to think you'd accept a paycut, nor would anyone else, with a smile on their face because "I was overpaid...I had a good run."

And market value kind of went out the window when the cap came in. It's an artificial market now, teams WOULD pay more for players but can't because of the cap. Others might pay players less but need to reach the floor.

I'm not sure how you open with "You get paid market value in the end." but then say "I'm underpaid" and "if I was working at a place that overpaid my(me)".
Which is it? Aren't you just being paid your market value?

Old
10-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
no brah, the players are united under Fehr and he has their best future in mind.
Wonder how the grinders feel about their star union members running off to Europe and leaving them to starve.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Hanklite*
Bettman's Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy77 View Post
I think their twitter comments have proved that beyond a doubt by now.
I love their recent comments:

Martin St. Louis, "If the fans think that the NHL wants to play. Think again. They don't want to meet and they cancelled all November. Way to go Gary you really care about the game!!"

So you know he is not wanting to play and is willing to holdout, yet you decide to not take their proposal so you can actually play.

Who is the stupid one?

Old
10-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
Don't think so............look at the difference in geography between the western and eastern conferences.
Ugh.....it's a league-wide issue if gas prices go up. Yes the Oilers and Stars travel more than the Devils or Rangers. If gas prices go up...expenses go up for every team. Not equally, but it is still a league-wide increase.

Players are supposed to make up for the geographical differences between teams or something?

Old
SidTheKid8787

LOL
I like how Fehr is conceding his 3rd offer wasn't 50/50 now:

"... We responded with the framework for three proposals on the players’ share, each of which moved significantly, towards their stated desire for a 50-50 split of HRR..."

http://www.nhlpa.com/news/nhlpa-statement-from-don-fehr

Old
AceintheSpace*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
Such a sad sad case. Goodbye for now NHL, I'm moving on to the NBA season starting next week and kicking up my interest in the NFL.
Im spreading my interest around as well, but **** the NBA. They dont have nearly as much labor strife, but the players are still entitled ****wits.

Onto the MLB and NFL I guess.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanklite View Post

Martin St. Louis, "If the fans think that the NHL wants to play. Think again. They don't want to meet and they cancelled all November. Way to go Gary you really care about the game!!"

So you know he is not wanting to play and is willing to holdout, yet you decide to not take their proposal so you can actually play.

Who is the stupid one?
exactly, all these players look like fools with these comments, it's pathetic.

They had a REAL offer, and they threw it back in the face of bettman, **** the nhlpa

Old
10-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
I hate it when people try to use everyday work examples in comparison to the NHL. It's not an apples to apples comparison.
Why isn't it?

They do a job and get paid.
You do a job and get paid.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:50 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy77 View Post
I think their twitter comments have proved that beyond a doubt by now.
I'm still trying to decide who made me laugh more. Barch, or the equally useless Sean Horcoff.

Old
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrawlFan View Post
Also by leaving the NHL they dont really lose anything internationally. Radulov was suspended by Nashville and played in the Olympics in 2010.
Apparently it was a different situation or a different agreement then, so thats not the case anymore. Or at least thats what Doug MacLean said earlier this week.

Old
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I still think the NHL's recent proposal that kept it at an 82 game season would have been close or even accepted if it was put to vote
I think its very possible. For the most part, all you are hearing from the union is little talking heads that spew out Fehr's lines, and these are the select few Superstars who are protecting their millions on the backs of their 3rd and 4th line teammates and aging veterans looking for contracts knowing their days are almost done.

Wouldnt be surprised if a good portion of these players are resentful and if not already, will be when they start to realize no money is coming in and their already short shelf life just gets shorter.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Jeffrey93

Quote:

Who is the stupid one?
That's some interesting logic. Because the other side seems to have no interest in negotiating or playing hockey games.....his side should just take whatever offer they can? I guess the league should be floating a 80/20 split then...

Old
10-26-2012, 01:54 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Why isn't it?

They do a job and get paid.
You do a job and get paid.
Because the cost of living doesnt scale with how much you make. A gallon of milk still costs $4 whether youre making 20,000 or 2,000,000. When people try to compare cutting their million dollar salary 14% to you losing 14% its inherently wrong.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

It should be so easy to solve.

53-51-50-50-50-50 player share of HRR

The player get to choose between previous CBA or owners proposals in all other matters (ELCs, arbitration, UFA) except contract length where rules are in place to prevent contracts that try to circumvent the cap.

Get it done.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Jeffrey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
I think its very possible. For the most part, all you are hearing from the union is little talking heads that spew out Fehr's lines, and these are the select few Superstars who are protecting their millions on the backs of their 3rd and 4th line teammates and aging veterans looking for contracts knowing their days are almost done.

Wouldnt be surprised if a good portion of these players are resentful and if not already, will be when they start to realize no money is coming in and their already short shelf life just gets shorter.
Same goes for the Owners side.....

I've read quite a few tweets from 3rd and 4th liners that aren't showing any signs of weakening. They have the most to lose and still seem to be on the same page as the big money all-stars.

Edit: So far anyway...

Old
10-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Hawkscap

Someone should ask Danny Briere if he wants a deal done now.

His salary this year is $7 mil, next it is $3 mil

Old
10-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Hanklite*
Bettman's Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
It should be so easy to solve.

53-51-50-50-50-50 player share of HRR

The player get to choose between previous CBA or owners proposals in all other matters (ELCs, arbitration, UFA) except contract length where rules are in place to prevent contracts that try to circumvent the cap.

Get it done.
Its way too late for that. The players will not get any sort of soft landing now. They choose to hold out instead of working off the NHLs proposal.

Old
Iggy77

Quote:
That's some interesting logic. Because the other side seems to have no interest in negotiating or playing hockey games.....his side should just take whatever offer they can? I guess the league should be floating a 80/20 split then...
The side that tables supposed offers of 50/50 that aren't really 50/50 isn't interested in negotiating either.

The NHL finally told him to pound sand because they're sick of him wasting their time, especially when he hadn't even "run the numbers" yet on a so- called 50/50 proposal which is impossible.

And now Fehr is huffing because they don't want to meet ?

Old
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

I chose the wrong sport to fall in love with.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:59 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

IMO, this lockout is essentially Bettman and Fehr's (and those associated with them) fault. The players job is to play hockey. The owners job is to run the organization. Bettman and Fehr are responsible for getting the deal done.

I guarantee you that the players will stand by Fehr. If he says not to take a deal, they won't, and if he says to take a deal, they will. They're not very educated on subject, so it's stupid to blame the players for the lack of hockey. They've decided to just band together and be loyal to Fehr. You can tell from what a lot of players are saying that they just want to play already, but they're not going to agree to a deal unless the PA bosses tell them too.

IMO It's up to the NHL and the PA bosses to get this deal done not the owners or players.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Hanklite*
Bettman's Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGivingEr View Post
IMO, this lockout is essentially Bettman and Fehr's (and those associated with them) fault. The players job is to play hockey. The owners job is to run the organization. Bettman and Fehr are responsible for getting the deal done.

I guarantee you that the players will stand by Fehr. If he says not to take a deal, they won't, and if he says to take a deal, they will. They're not very educated on subject, so it's stupid to blame the players for the lack of hockey. They've decided to just band together and be loyal to Fehr. You can tell from what a lot of players are saying that they just want to play already, but they're not going to agree to a deal unless the PA bosses tell them too.

IMO It's up to the NHL and the PA bosses to get this deal done not the owners or players.
I think that's a poor excuse for the players. If my livelihood was on the line, I would be as informed as possible. It's not like its THAT complicated.

Old
10-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:

Who is the stupid one?
Many players are still spouting out the Fehr-driven rhetoric/nonsense that they could have started the season without a CBA, so nothing surprises me when they open their mouths to the media at this point.

To think I was totally pro-PA at the start of this in July-August.

Closed Thread