HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

It's Not About Winning Or Losing. It's About Who Gets The Blame (CBA/Lockout) XVI

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2012, 04:24 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

vCash: 500
So an 82 game season isin't possible, so what you can still do a 70 game season or so.The only issue with that being that the NHL's next offer would be far worse as it would reflect the games missed.

And really announcement coming Monday about cancelling the Classic and all-star game? Come on Bettman, you really wouldn't rather wait another week to see if you can at least arrange a meeting? That's SO WEAK!!

Old
10-26-2012, 04:25 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Your move Fehr, what you going to do with it big boy?

Old
10-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
I will be upset if the NHL makes the next proposal. NHLPA needs to make a real counter first.

a 60 game season starting Dec 1 is probably all that is salvageable at this point.
I wouldn't be surprised if the NHL made the next proposal. It would most def be worse for the players than what was on the table, though.

Old
10-26-2012, 04:27 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
The moderate sides of both the PA and NHL need to take control.
Honestly, if just the moderate side of the PA took control, they'd be set. I'm not saying they'd completely lay down and take whatever the NHL offered, but they'd be way more set on getting the season going and would truly negotiate with Bettman instead of complaining about "principles." It's easy for someone like crosby or toews to say that when they're already set for life. Lower paid guys NEED their jobs in the NHL.

Old
10-26-2012, 04:27 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
My guess? Whine.

Old
10-26-2012, 04:28 PM
meedle

vCash: 50
Quote:
So an 82 game season isin't possible, so what you can still do a 70 game season or so.The only issue with that being that the NHL's next offer would be far worse as it would reflect the games missed.

And really announcement coming Monday about cancelling the Classic and all-star game? Come on Bettman, you really wouldn't rather wait another week to see if you can at least arrange a meeting? That's SO WEAK!!

They have to commit real money to those events very soon, With no idea how long this will go on for, you really can't blame them.

Old
10-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Hanklite*
Bettman's Bro

Next step:

NHL offers 52/48 in their favor and no changes to contracts:

NHLPA offers 50/50 and settles to what we could have had a month ago.

Old
10-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
They just had Renaud Lavoie and Pierre LeBrun on RDS.

The most interesting thing they said...agents played a key role in the last lockout in players accepting the cap...and they both felt agents could play a key role this time around in finding a solution. LeBrun talked about how an agent with 50 clients can have a lot of influence since it's a smaller group than the 700 Fehr has.

(note: obviously this does not include Allan Walsh, haha).

LeBrun also talked about how it's almost the same timeline as NBA lockout, expects that the next league offer will be worse than 50/50, only to end up making their best offer after that.

Old
10-26-2012, 04:31 PM
JAX

Quote:
I have guesses.

1)posture

2) re submit their proposal but put it in a different folder to fool the players and the league.

While he is at it he should take the cap of the table.

Old
10-26-2012, 04:33 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanklite View Post
Next step:

NHL offers 52/48 in their favor and no changes to contracts:

NHLPA offers 50/50 and settles to what we could have had a month ago.
Pretty much, lol. Same thing happened in the NBA lockout basically.

Old
10-26-2012, 04:39 PM
nickschultzfan

Fehr "proposals" were outlined on a single piece of paper. Probably in 20-point font.

If your work product would get rejected by a 5th grade teacher, don't act suprised when it's rejected by a $3+ billion business.

Old
10-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:

We will be waiting ages before Fehr does a thing. This is his specialty after all.

Old
10-26-2012, 04:45 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I cannot believe, for the life of me, that the players are truly focused on the future. The fact that hey lost the wages that they were fighting for is partially hilarious. Professional athletes have short careers. I am astonished by the fact these players can give up more than what they are fighting for. And no, i don't believe they care about anything else? Would you at the age of 18-30?

Old
10-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Chiuozu*

I could be watching the Leafs make fools of themselves and trying for the first win, but instead I'm shedding manly-tears for another lost NHL season.

Old
10-26-2012, 05:01 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

I'm still confident we get a season in but today's news makes my confidence grow dimmer. Maybe instead of cancelling games Bettman should invite Fehr to sit down. You never know what could happen if both sides sit down, we could get a deal like that.

10-26-2012, 05:02 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Jeremy_Roenick 12:34pm via Twitter for iPhone @TSNBobMcKenzie: For those advocating locking Gary and Don in a room til CBA is done found the perfect venue. yfrog.com/h482rflj LOSEKEY

Old
10-26-2012, 05:10 PM
Greschner4

There's still a very long way to go on the system issues ... I don't think there's going to be a season. I didn't think that a month ago. The players are not going to give in and the owners aren't going to give in.

Once the season's cancelled, it will go the labor boards and the courts and something will eventually get done. One thing that willl not happen -- if the players decertify, like the NBA did, they will not sign an agreement two weeks after decertifying. They will see it through to the end -- that's their path to a capless or softer cap world.

Old
10-26-2012, 05:21 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiuozu View Post
I could be watching the Leafs make fools of themselves and trying for the first win, but instead I'm shedding manly-tears for another lost NHL season.
As a Leafs fan, I share the opposite sentiment. I don't think the Leafs have any chance this year to make play-offs, especially with the improvements made in the Eastern Conference. I don't think a Jay McClement signing is going to be the different maker for the team so I'm just as happy watching the Marlies play and wait it out for a new CBA (hopefully Burke actually does something when a new one is signed).

Old
10-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I'm still confident we get a season in but today's news makes my confidence grow dimmer. Maybe instead of cancelling games Bettman should invite Fehr to sit down. You never know what could happen if both sides sit down, we could get a deal like that.
Cancelling games is a pressure tactic by the league and it's just my opinion that the league made a mistake by putting a take it or leave kind of offer before September 15th and then later came back last week with a better offer than before. The owners have given the players a reason to play chicken and I think cancelling a month's worth of games and telling the PA either you work off our framework or submit a new proposal is the league perhaps trying to recover from their fumble earlier on in the process.

Old
10-26-2012, 05:29 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

The NHLPA and Donald Fehr are like parasites. But the thing with parasites it that the smart ones leach enough from their host so that both benefit. Dumb parasites leach too much from their host and kill it, which kills the parasite as well.

The NHLPA parasite isn't powerful, but its potent enough that over a long period of time it could kill the host (NHL). That situation doesn't benefit either side. We're about to see if NHLPA is a smart parasite or a dumb parasite.

I'm leaning towards dumb or "dumb enough."

TL;DR The NHLPA is a parasite.

Old
10-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Bob McCown:

Spoke directly to a hardline owner. Was told (some) were considering to just scrap everything, start all over next next season...

They'd open the camps next season to anyone that wanted to come on the owners terms (he expected 1/3 to 1/2 of NHL players would be there on Day 1).

Old
10-26-2012, 05:37 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Bob McCown:

Spoke directly to a hardline owner. Was told (some) were considering to just scrap everything, start all over next next season...

They'd open the camps next season to anyone that wanted to come on the owners terms (he expected 1/3 to 1/2 of NHL players would be there on Day 1).
3/4 probably

Old
10-26-2012, 05:38 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey93 View Post
A dollar is a dollar is a dollar. What it is worth to you personally compared to worth to me might be different. This is a collective agreement.....some NHLers saved, some blew money, some are probably near broke.

A paycut is a paycut regardless of how much you make. Since the paycuts in this are talked about in %, it's relative to common-folk. The $ value would be incredibly less...but it's effect on them would be similar.
Ugh, as a student of economics, it hurts me inside to see comments like this

Old
10-26-2012, 05:39 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyPalmer View Post
It's a lockout, not a strike.
That's fair up into a point. Yes it's the Owners who locked out the players, not the players that went on strike.

But then what if the players were asking for 83.5% of Revenues and were locked out? Who's fault is it then?

Old
10-26-2012, 05:42 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
3/4 probably
Probably more.

Then Fehr would feel like an idiot.

Closed Thread