HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Houston Aeros @ OKC Barons, Friday 10/26 6PM MDT

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2012, 09:32 PM
5cupstandard

vCash: 500
I want hockey to quit kicking us while we're down...

Old
10-26-2012, 09:32 PM
40oz

'Bad game' aside for Danis, Houston deserved the win.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Bryanbryoil

Wow, I've liked what I've heard from Nelson and thought that he was a good coach, but it's looking like to me that he isn't getting the best from his team for some reason or another. The defense is suspect beyond the top pairing and Fedun and Teubert when they are on their games, but there is no chemistry whatsoever beyond the top line, and without RNH, no chemistry period.

The team looked like they flat out gave up after RNH went down.

10-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Mcworraps
McWonderful McSummer

vCash: 50
Bad effort the whole way around but had Nelson recognized how poorly Danis was playing and pulled him in the second we'd probably be watching overtime right now.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:38 PM
Qrispy

Another poor showing. This team has not lived up to the hype at all.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Damn it. I should have stopped watching when we went down a goal. Sorry guys.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:40 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Wow, I've liked what I've heard from Nelson and thought that he was a good coach, but it's looking like to me that he isn't getting the best from his team for some reason or another. The defense is suspect beyond the top pairing and Fedun and Teubert when they are on their games, but there is no chemistry whatsoever beyond the top line, and without RNH, no chemistry period.

The defense is way too young.

When Plante and Teubert are your vets you're in trouble... Ringwald is an absolute joke.

Marincin, Schultz, Fedun and Davidson are all rookies.

There's going to be some growing pains.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:

I agree, though I think it is coincidental

Old
10-26-2012, 09:41 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

These guys play like the Oilers.

Slow, kinda disinterested, everything done in big loops, hit and miss intensity.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:42 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Quote:

It's extremely early. They're also a very young team.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
The defense is way too young.

When Plante and Teubert are your vets you're in trouble... Ringwald is an absolute joke.

Marincin, Schultz, Fedun and Davidson are all rookies.

There's going to be some growing pains.
Plante has been terrible this season, I mean Cam Barker in the NHL bad, not sure what caused such a massive drop off in play from last year but he's been terrible.

Schultz, Marincin, and until tonight Fedun haven't been the problems out there. Davidson belongs in the ECHL and both Ringwald and Plante could join him with their play this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
I agree, though I think it is coincidental
It could be coincidental, the bottom line is that it looked like they flat out gave up, there's no excuse for that IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
It's extremely early. They're also a very young team.
Young IMO isn't the problem, a lack of effort and production is. Davidson, Hamilton, and Martindale can get away with the young excuse, but that doesn't excuse the others. Houston is also a young team, that didn't seem to stop them from pulling out the W tonight.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:57 PM
AK Dandyman

Defense needs lots of work, not the just the dman, but the forwards as well. They are not defending as a unit and the positioning were just all over the places.

With so many new faces, it only natural that it'll take some time to get good chemistry and play the system properly.

Kudos to Teubert seeking revenge for Schultz and went after the guy. He just completely destroyed him and sent a message to them and across the league to not mess with our young star.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:58 PM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:

Young IMO isn't the problem, a lack of effort and production is. Davidson, Hamilton, and Martindale can get away with the young excuse, but that doesn't excuse the others. Houston is also a young team, that didn't seem to stop them from pulling out the W tonight.
IMO, the problem is that they were too overhyped. The D is awfully young and the vets aren't really that good, RNH and Eberle are clearly not going to give 100% night in and night out which is kind of understandable because this league is beneath them and doesn't present much of a challenge, the supporting cast is solid but it's not that great and the goaltending is fairly average.
They will get better as the year goes on (it seems like it will be the whole year with RNH, Eberle and Schultz) but to expect them to dominate a pretty good league just because some good NHL players are on the team is unrealistic IMO.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Pugilist

I'm late to the party, what happened to the Nuge?

Old
10-26-2012, 10:08 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugilist View Post
I'm late to the party, what happened to the Nuge?
Got high sticked during a faceoff(I think?) and never returned.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Pugilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Got high sticked during a faceoff(I think?) and never returned.
Ahhh. Thanks for that. I was worried his shoulders exploded or something... Kinda come to expect the worst when it comes to the Oilers these days.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
IMO, the problem is that they were too overhyped. The D is awfully young and the vets aren't really that good, RNH and Eberle are clearly not going to give 100% night in and night out which is kind of understandable because this league is beneath them and doesn't present much of a challenge, the supporting cast is solid but it's not that great and the goaltending is fairly average.
They will get better as the year goes on (it seems like it will be the whole year with RNH, Eberle and Schultz) but to expect them to dominate a pretty good league just because some good NHL players are on the team is unrealistic IMO.
This was a WC finalist last year and returns: Paajarvi, Hartikainen, Arcobello, Vande Velde, Lander, Pitlick, Hamilton, Green, Tyrvainen, House, Plante, Teubert, Ringwald and Danis from that team. Danis was the AHL's goalie of the year last year as well. This is a team that should be pretty good without RNH and Eberle up front. They simply haven't been.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:16 PM
McOkMcgoMcoil

Some things never change, a disapointing game against minny.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:18 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

Quote:
This was a WC finalist last year and returns: Paajarvi, Hartikainen, Arcobello, Vande Velde, Lander, Pitlick, Hamilton, Green, Tyrvainen, House, Plante, Teubert, Ringwald and Danis from that team. Danis was the AHL's goalie of the year last year as well. This is a team that should be pretty good without RNH and Eberle up front. They simply haven't been.
Only 3 defenseman returning and two of them are awful. Teubert is no allstar either.

They need a solid veteran D for support. I expect an AHL trade at some point.

Would be nice to have Potter or Petry down there, oh well.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:24 PM
McOkMcgoMcoil

I tihnk nuge and ebs are still hitting their stride. They are going to go on a tear and they will win 8 out of 10 pretty quick.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:26 PM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
A lot those guys were playing over their heads last season namely Teubert, Plante and Danis. The defense now features 4 rookies and as i said before, we're likely not going to see a very motivated RNH and Eberle game in and game out.
I know that you were predicting utter dominance by the team and RNH and Eberle going into the season and i just don't think it's realistic.
These guys should be better than what they have been showing and they should be one of the top teams in the league but i think that you're going to be disappointed if you expect a dominant Barons team.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Usual_Suspect

Tom Gazzola (@TomGazzola)
According to Todd Nelson, Nugent-Hopkins' teeth were pushed back when he took a high-stick in the 1st period. Sent to hospital for repairs.

Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers)
"Nuge got stuck in the mouth and is getting some dental work done." - #Barons Coach Nelson on RNH's injury

Old
10-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Njoy Oilers

Ha ha. Drama has started in the Ahl. Soap opera has hit the minors. WTF.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
A lot those guys were playing over their heads last season namely Teubert, Plante and Danis. The defense now features 4 rookies and as i said before, we're likely not going to see a very motivated RNH and Eberle game in and game out.
I know that you were predicting utter dominance by the team and RNH and Eberle going into the season and i just don't think it's realistic.
These guys should be better than what they have been showing and they should be one of the top teams in the league but i think that you're going to be disappointed if you expect a dominant Barons team.
Plante has been horrible, I've seen him better at the NHL level and if he was this bad through his ELC there's no way in hell that we'd sign him. Teubert has been paired with crap and therefor hasn't looked as good as he could. Danis? You have to go back to '07-08 to find his stats being anywhere near as bad as they've been.

In: RNH, Eberle, Martindale, Byers, Pelss, Schultz, Marincin, Fedun, Davidson, Roy

Out: Keller, Tremblay, Grant, Yeo, Helmer, Chorney, Rodney, Montgomery, Leneveu

Sorry, not buying it.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:48 PM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Plante has been horrible, I've seen him better at the NHL level and if he was this bad through his ELC there's no way in hell that we'd sign him. Teubert has been paired with crap and therefor hasn't looked as good as he could. Danis? You have to go back to '07-08 to find his stats being anywhere near as bad as they've been.

In: RNH, Eberle, Martindale, Byers, Pelss, Schultz, Marincin, Fedun, Davidson, Roy

Out: Keller, Tremblay, Grant, Yeo, Helmer, Chorney, Rodney, Montgomery, Leneveu

Sorry, not buying it.
They should be one of the top teams but it's unrealistic to expect them to dominate the league.

Closed Thread