HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Josh Gorges

Old
10-26-2012, 09:15 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

vCash: 500
The reality is that he is more valuable to The Habs than anyone would be willing to pay. He just signed a long term deal to stay and he shows all the leadership needed to be the next captain once Gionta is gone. Just look at his shut down ability and the shot blocking awesomeness.

No one would pay what would be required.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:09 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginovegas View Post
would yu trade him for Volchenkov? Rugged dman that can play the right side
No, but how about for Larsson?

As the OP said, he's a great dman and If I may add, on a cheap contract. Get ready to overpay.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:31 AM
bhuya71

Only proposing this since I saw a lot of Colorado fan's posting and an absurd proposal with duchene for gorges...

I would do something along the lines of

Gorges + for Steve Downie + Stefan Elliot

Seems a bit overpayment from Col but it's what it takes to get Gorges out of MTL

At the same time doesn't seem like an absurd price?

A top 9 forward plus an NHL ready dman for Gorges +

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:37 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
BS. Subban is a #1. He is #1 D in Montreal. He would also be #1 on approximately half the teams in the league. His partner is Josh Gorges. That makes him a #2. Now you can argue how effective he is in that role, but that is the position he plays in Montreal. Same with Desharnais being the #1 C in Montreal last season. Plekanec is the better player, but little DD played in the #1 C position with the two #1 wingers on the #1 line.

And embarassed. All players get embarassed out there. It's a game of errors and lots of errors occur in every play. Subban made more errors in the first half than in the second. He was actually very effective at his role of #1 D in the second half. Montreal was going nowhere but individually, he was good. And if he wasn't, no one would be interested in trading for him. There are 29 GMs that wish they could pry him out of Montreal. I'm sure there are teams in Europe that wish he would come play for them this lockout season also.
Wait, let me get your analogy straight. It's not because a guy is playing #1 LW/RW/C/D/G for TEAM-A that he will be playing the same position on TEAM-B.

I mean when a guy under performing gets down to 4th line, does that means he goes from #1 or 2 to #4 ? And if he gets benched it's #8 ?

I honestly think Georges is worth more to 30 GMs (rather than 29). Subban while good could turn out to be a Phaneuf or Komisarek. I still remember how good Komisarek was in MTL when he was all physical and **** and then he met Lucic and became a sissy.

Same for Phaneuf, he was supposed to be the D so much that Leafs paid a lot. Now he's laughed at by the entire league. Subban is hyped up because you guys in Montreal like to hype up guys. I honestly hope you take care of Emelin, Beaulieu and cie and not hype them too much and let them form into fully developed players.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Adam Spylo

Maybe something like Gorges + Pacioretty for Rivet could work.

Honestly as already mentioned Gorges value for the Habs is far more than other GMs would be willing to give up. However I could see some teams overpay for him at the deadline if they feel they like him to have a chance for the cup. Then maybe a very good NHL ready prospect plus a first rounder would work

Adam Spylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:29 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Spylo View Post
Maybe something like Gorges + Pacioretty for Rivet could work.

Honestly as already mentioned Gorges value for the Habs is far more than other GMs would be willing to give up. However I could see some teams overpay for him at the deadline if they feel they like him to have a chance for the cup. Then maybe a very good NHL ready prospect plus a first rounder would work

That would be hard to turn down......

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Gorges isn't avaliable.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Please, if Subban is a top 2 than Gorges sure is. The guy is the only reason Subban wasn't embarrassed on a nightly basis.
When did Subban become a top pairing defenseman?

Drew311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:26 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Come out from under the rock, Sir.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Come out from under the rock, Sir.
Do you consider Carl Gunnarsson a top pairing defenseman?

Drew311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:56 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Most definitely. In the AHL, of course.

If Markov is healthy and gets back to form he should be our #1 guy.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:23 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
I honestly think Georges is worth more to 30 GMs (rather than 29). Subban while good could turn out to be a Phaneuf or Komisarek. I still remember how good Komisarek was in MTL when he was all physical and **** and then he met Lucic and became a sissy.

Same for Phaneuf, he was supposed to be the D so much that Leafs paid a lot. Now he's laughed at by the entire league. Subban is hyped up because you guys in Montreal like to hype up guys. I honestly hope you take care of Emelin, Beaulieu and cie and not hype them too much and let them form into fully developed players.
Subban is pretty easily a #1 defenseman, by almost every metric available. He faces the toughest competition, anchored the powerplay, played significant penalty kill minutes, and played over 18 minutes a night at even strength. He is the single most important player to the Montreal Canadiens.

PK Subban, Review/Preview
Quote:
...in spite of playing the second toughest competition on the Habs, with the second toughest zone starts and second worst linemates among defensemen, Subban put up the best possession numbers by a landslide.
Quote:
Subban is the definition of an all around defenseman. He hits, scores, defends, makes plays, he's everything you could want in a player. His strength and speed make him hard to handle in every zone, and he agitates other teams into being stupid.
Quote:
When he started playing like one. Just because you didn't notice doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Lol well this board thinks he's #8 among all defensemen in defensive skill. If we're talking about purely defensive d-men he's easily top-5.
(re; Gorges)
This board also has people who think Toews is on par with Malkin, Luongo is useless, and Edmonton is SO CLOSE TO BEING GREAT. I wouldn't trust HFBoards with simple arithmetic.

Gorges is not 'easily top-5'. Easily top-15. Perhaps top-10. Definitely not "easily" one of the best defensive defensemen in the NHL.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:36 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
I hope your not trying to compare Carl Gunnarsson to P.K Subban.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:49 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Subban is pretty easily a #1 defenseman, by almost every metric available. He faces the toughest competition, anchored the powerplay, played significant penalty kill minutes, and played over 18 minutes a night at even strength. He is the single most important player to the Montreal Canadiens.

PK Subban, Review/Preview

When he started playing like one. Just because you didn't notice doesn't mean it didn't happen.

(re; Gorges)
This board also has people who think Toews is on par with Malkin, Luongo is useless, and Edmonton is SO CLOSE TO BEING GREAT. I wouldn't trust HFBoards with simple arithmetic.

Gorges is not 'easily top-5'. Easily top-15. Perhaps top-10. Definitely not "easily" one of the best defensive defensemen in the NHL.
This board also has people that believe that Gabby is better than Kovalchuk,The Habs should have traded Price instead of Halak,Richards and Carter were untouchable and so on.....
But most were a minority who claimed what both you and i wrote.

Show me the poll where the majority voted that Toews is on par with Malkin
or Luongo is useless or Edmonton is SO CLOSE TO BEING GREAT.
I don't think you can.So please don't take the response of a few over the response of all the rest and try to use it to aid you.It just makes you look bad.
On that YES Gorges is easily a top 10 defensive D-man.
In case you don't understand,being in the top 10 easily makes you one of the top defensive defensemen in the NHL.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 06:04 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Come on, you don't actually think Gunnarsson is as good as Subban, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
(re; Gorges)

A minority of the board thinks those things.

I would love to see you try to list 10 purely defensive defensemen who are better than Gorges.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 06:07 PM
That

Much more than anyone would be willing to give up. Montreal has no one that can step in replace the minutes that Gorges plays.

That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:54 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
That was the best assessment of Gorges so far in this thread, but he might have undersold him a little bit. I would definitely call Gorges a poor man's no.2 defenseman, he is more than capable of getting the job done on the first pairing defensively but would probably be on the second pairing if we're talking about a powerhouse defense. As for Subban, he can handle his defensive responsibilities more than just fine on his own.
I guess you didn't see Gorges shouting at him game in and out when he would screw up his cover or blow a position. Gorges made Subban look much better than he deserved. Yes Subban is an excellent D-man but Gorges was a big part of it last year in the same way Plekanec was a big part of DD's season. If Pleks wasn't taking all of the heavy shutdown work DD would have been destroyed. DD was excellent but he had a great deal of help and pressure taken off.

The defensive aspect of this game goes almost completly unnoticed by the very fans, hard to believe.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:54 PM
FoppaForsberg*

Stastny + Barrie for Georges and Eller

FoppaForsberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Duchene+ or Stastny

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Duchene+ or Stastny
Duchene+? What.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:34 AM
YotesFan47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
BS. Subban is a #1. He is #1 D in Montreal. He would also be #1 on approximately half the teams in the league. His partner is Josh Gorges. That makes him a #2. Now you can argue how effective he is in that role, but that is the position he plays in Montreal. Same with Desharnais being the #1 C in Montreal last season. Plekanec is the better player, but little DD played in the #1 C position with the two #1 wingers on the #1 line.

And embarassed. All players get embarassed out there. It's a game of errors and lots of errors occur in every play. Subban made more errors in the first half than in the second. He was actually very effective at his role of #1 D in the second half. Montreal was going nowhere but individually, he was good. And if he wasn't, no one would be interested in trading for him. There are 29 GMs that wish they could pry him out of Montreal. I'm sure there are teams in Europe that wish he would come play for them this lockout season also.
Maybe like 25, I know Phoenix is fine without Subban or Gorges, that said I do like both players a lot and a good leader is hard to find. I hope for Montreal's sake that they get to hold on Gorges for a long time. Anyway to the point, you're correct in your logic with those two players in Montreal but you can't discount what they would be outside of the organization. Its like OEL, he basically became our #1 defenseman last year and while we are very strong defensively, hes not necessarily a #1 on all the teams in the rest of the league. As far as fun speculative trades go, Gorges is probably worth a 2nd-3rd line center tweener and maybe a 3rd-4th round pick for many teams. On the Coyotes he would probably slot in as our #4 guy, for a team like Edmonton to get him it would probably realistically cost Paajarvi, Smid, and like a 2nd. Not a bad haul but I could still see Montreal saying no because of the leadership Gorges brings. For that matter Edmonton seems fairly high on Smid and Paajarvi so I don't know that they would accept something like that either.

YotesFan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 01:09 AM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

Ooh the hate I'm gonna get from this one from both sides but

Zack Phillips + MIN 2014 1st?

Sharppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:25 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I guess you didn't see Gorges shouting at him game in and out when he would screw up his cover or blow a position. Gorges made Subban look much better than he deserved. Yes Subban is an excellent D-man but Gorges was a big part of it last year in the same way Plekanec was a big part of DD's season. If Pleks wasn't taking all of the heavy shutdown work DD would have been destroyed. DD was excellent but he had a great deal of help and pressure taken off.

The defensive aspect of this game goes almost completly unnoticed by the very fans, hard to believe.
That happened maybe once, and you try and make it sound like it's game in game out? Okay, try watching the Habs sometimes
if you think Gorges is doing the heavy lifting.

Last edited by poetryinmotion: 10-27-2012 at 07:33 AM.
poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:34 AM
Adam Spylo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharppi View Post

Make it Charlie Coyle + Minnesotas 1st in 2013 and I'll add you Danny Kristo (Minnesota native)

Adam Spylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 08:17 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharppi View Post

I would prefer Coyle and a 1st. Maybe Kristo could go to Minny and make a 3rd/4th come back to Montreal.

That is how much Gorges is worth to Montreal.

Last edited by LeHabsMan: 10-27-2012 at 04:20 PM.
LeHabsMan is offline   Reply With Quote