HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Why is the first NHL game of the season on NBC an important date?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-25-2012, 09:11 PM
  #1
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO
 
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,775
vCash: 500
Why is the first NHL game of the season on NBC an important date?

Whenever I see TSN do a timeline of important dates on the NHL calendar they mention the first game of the season to be on NBC since it's going to be broadcast across the United States. Now I honestly want to know how much revenue would the NHL make from that one game, because why aren't any of the games on TSN or CBC imporant? I'm sure they make as much revenue from the games broadcast across Canada and it seems those games are not important to the NHL, so what are the differences?

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:16 PM
  #2
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Whenever I see TSN do a timeline of important dates on the NHL calendar they mention the first game of the season to be on NBC since it's going to be broadcast across the United States. Now I honestly want to know how much revenue would the NHL make from that one game, because why aren't any of the games on TSN or CBC imporant? I'm sure they make as much revenue from the games broadcast across Canada and it seems those games are not important to the NHL, so what are the differences?
Well, because it's additionnal money?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:17 PM
  #3
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,185
vCash: 500
Probably because NBC likely won't be happy to have to alter their schedule.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:17 PM
  #4
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,868
vCash: 500
The NHL deal with NBC is worth billions. Do the math, that's where the money is made.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:38 PM
  #5
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO
 
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
The NHL deal with NBC is worth billions. Do the math, that's where the money is made.
So in a few years when the Canadian TV deal is up will that be worth more then the NBC deal or not once we know which network gets the rights and etc? Or will the NHL still think of their deal with NBC as the most important one?

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:42 PM
  #6
chet1926
Registered User
 
chet1926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 3,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Whenever I see TSN do a timeline of important dates on the NHL calendar they mention the first game of the season to be on NBC since it's going to be broadcast across the United States. Now I honestly want to know how much revenue would the NHL make from that one game, because why aren't any of the games on TSN or CBC imporant? I'm sure they make as much revenue from the games broadcast across Canada and it seems those games are not important to the NHL, so what are the differences?
Maybe because NBC is a major corporation, and they are going to be pissed if they don't get their games. If they aren't playing by then it will cripple any chances for the NHL to ever land any future TV deals in the US.

I will be kind of shocked if we aren't playing hockey by that date, NBC is going to be adding some pressure to the owners at that point, you don't mess with powerful people.

chet1926 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:45 PM
  #7
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor
 
rojac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Waterloo, ON
Posts: 6,373
vCash: 500
Because TSN and CBC will show hockey any chance they get. Getting on network TV in the US before the end of football season is not that common.

rojac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:47 PM
  #8
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO
 
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
I will be kind of shocked if we aren't playing hockey by that date, NBC is going to be adding some pressure to the owners at that point, you don't mess with powerful people.
If Bettman doesn't want to listen to whatever the NHLPA and Donald Fehr have to offer, why would Bettman then care what NBC thinks? If anyone should put tell him to listen it's the owners since they are the ones who can fire him, so shouldn't the preasure come from them and not NBC?

There is also talk that either this coming Monday or sometime next week the NHL will cancel all games in November and even the Winter Classic. Now that means there goes NBC's games on Thanksgiving and we all know how much they must make from the Winter Classic. So why doesn't NBC step in right now and say something if they are serious about saving these games.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:51 PM
  #9
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal
 
Inkling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
The NHL deal with NBC is worth billions. Do the math, that's where the money is made.
Billions and billions! Sounds great until you realize that it's for a whole decade. The US deal is worth roughly the same as the Canadian deal on a yearly basis. Those billions are barely enough for teams pay the salary of a first line centre.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:55 PM
  #10
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,572
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Maybe because NBC is a major corporation, and they are going to be pissed if they don't get their games. If they aren't playing by then it will cripple any chances for the NHL to ever land any future TV deals in the US.

I will be kind of shocked if we aren't playing hockey by that date, NBC is going to be adding some pressure to the owners at that point, you don't mess with powerful people.
Not really true NBC has an option on the contract, they basically planned for a lockout in the contract. I know that should make people angry. But they get a year at a very nice price on the end, something that is unlikely to be nearly as cheap when the contract was up if they had to negotiate then.

Really since NBC doesn't pickup the NHL full on until after the Winter Classic, that is something the NHLPA should keep in mind. I don't think they are really on the clock in a bad way with them until next January 1st. Then the pressure will be brought to bear from NBC on the NHL. OF course if you think the players can wait for that long I would be surprised. Part of why I really think they aren't getting the full picture.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 09:59 PM
  #11
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster
 
Motown Beatdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 8,554
vCash: 450
NBC is still paying the NHL this year regardless of lockout, but if they dont air games then NBC gets a free year at the end of the TV contract.

Motown Beatdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:05 PM
  #12
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
Billions and billions! Sounds great until you realize that it's for a whole decade. The US deal is worth roughly the same as the Canadian deal on a yearly basis. Those billions are barely enough for teams pay the salary of a first line centre.
It is over a decade but it's still a huge source of revenue for the league. Probably not the best idea to piss off a network, the one who broadcasts your game nationally. The NHL always seems to find a way to screw up U.S tv deals. The Canadian deals will always be there. The U.S is the market they need to sell the game to.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:08 PM
  #13
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Whenever I see TSN do a timeline of important dates on the NHL calendar they mention the first game of the season to be on NBC since it's going to be broadcast across the United States. Now I honestly want to know how much revenue would the NHL make from that one game, because why aren't any of the games on TSN or CBC imporant? I'm sure they make as much revenue from the games broadcast across Canada and it seems those games are not important to the NHL, so what are the differences?
Pretty sure if the league misses too many NBC game dates (may even be 1) NBC gets a free year of coverage 10 years from now.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:17 PM
  #14
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,533
vCash: 772
Sounds like only the OP thinks it's a big deal. At least big enough to create a thread over

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 10:20 PM
  #15
Dojji*
Fight the Hate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 16,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
So in a few years when the Canadian TV deal is up will that be worth more then the NBC deal or not once we know which network gets the rights and etc? Or will the NHL still think of their deal with NBC as the most important one?
Hard to say. The Canadian deal will be a much larger piece of a much smaller pie simply due to the demographics.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.