HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Non-Sharks NorCal Sports Thread XVIII

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 03:47 PM
likewall32
**putt meem hear**

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Yeah that maks sense. I've just heard a lot of talk from the voters saying they won't let anyone in who cheated, which is ridiculous for a number of reasons.
Well yeah, there's that too. Soon enough, either someone already in the Hall or someone who has just been elected or held in high esteem and set for surefire election will be shown to have used PED's, and the writers will maybe lay off their witch hunt a bit.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
I'm sorry but that's bull. The Sonics moved because both the previous owner and the current owner (like so many others) wanted the state to pony up for renovations and a new stadium respectively because they were too cheap to do so themselves. If no one watched the Sonics, then why are they getting another team five years later?
Seattle could have a team 5 is because once you own a team you can pretty much do whatever you want with it. (See Al Davis)

New stadiums are not cheap. Are the 49ers cheap ******** for asking Santa Clara for money to build a stadium? No, they are rational to see if the city they want to move into really wants to be a part of the stadium and surrounding development. Santa Clara said yes, WA said no.

Moving a different team back into the crappy arena that previous owners refused to continue using will magically solve the basketball problem in Seattle. It's like kissing some fat chick you are using as a rebound in the same sh***y apartment you lived in with your beloved girlfriend that left you for having said sh***y apartment and being a lazy weed smoking slob all day.

It has got to be different for a new NBA team in Seattle. Using the same formula asks for the same results.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:25 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 374
It is ridiculous that these random columnists who have "worked for a paper for 10 years" decide who gets in the Baseball HOF.

A lot of these writers don't even watch baseball as a primary job, and have to consort google and baseball reference to make their decision on whether or not someone is a hall of famer.

If you are voting on the Hall of Fame you should just know. It sounds silly, but it's the truth. You should know baseball so well that when someone says Barry Bonds you say "best baseball player of his era" not "oh he used steroids".

Are they seriously trying to tell me that Mike frickin Piazza is a better player than Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds? Piazza was on roids too! But oh wait, he isn't the poster child for it, and didn't leave a paper trail.

Bonds used steroids, but he still had to work his little balls off to do what he did. Same with Clemens. It's sad that columnists are judge jury and executioner on this one, because they are not qualified.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
Looks like the Sacramento Kings are moving to Seattle. That sucks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/maloofs...190254566.html
I'll believe it when I see it finalized. The Maloofs have been saying they wouldn't sell the team for years and it's because they know that once they do that they can't get one back. And if they should sell, there is definitely someone locally interested in keeping them there which should be pursued first as an obligation to the community that lined their pockets for years.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedontneedroads View Post
Seattle could have a team 5 is because once you own a team you can pretty much do whatever you want with it. (See Al Davis)

New stadiums are not cheap. Are the 49ers cheap ******** for asking Santa Clara for money to build a stadium? No, they are rational to see if the city they want to move into really wants to be a part of the stadium and surrounding development. Santa Clara said yes, WA said no.

Moving a different team back into the crappy arena that previous owners refused to continue using will magically solve the basketball problem in Seattle. It's like kissing some fat chick you are using as a rebound in the same sh***y apartment you lived in with your beloved girlfriend that left you for having said sh***y apartment and being a lazy weed smoking slob all day.

It has got to be different for a new NBA team in Seattle. Using the same formula asks for the same results.
In one of the articles I read, the new owners plan on ponying over half the cost for a new arena and get the rest through private funds.

They'll get their new arena and the fans/taxpayers won't be screwed.

Sucks to see my team go but with this new ownership group, they will finally be taken care of.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:22 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedontneedroads View Post
It is ridiculous that these random columnists who have "worked for a paper for 10 years" decide who gets in the Baseball HOF.

A lot of these writers don't even watch baseball as a primary job, and have to consort google and baseball reference to make their decision on whether or not someone is a hall of famer.

If you are voting on the Hall of Fame you should just know. It sounds silly, but it's the truth. You should know baseball so well that when someone says Barry Bonds you say "best baseball player of his era" not "oh he used steroids".

Are they seriously trying to tell me that Mike frickin Piazza is a better player than Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds? Piazza was on roids too! But oh wait, he isn't the poster child for it, and didn't leave a paper trail.

Bonds used steroids, but he still had to work his little balls off to do what he did. Same with Clemens. It's sad that columnists are judge jury and executioner on this one, because they are not qualified.
The best part about it is that the voters are humongous hypocrites because they were the ones that allowed the steroid era to get swept under the rug for so long by not reporting anything. Yet now they can condemn these men. The Hall of Fame was a joke for even hinting that this was a possibility with their voters voicing their opinions. Now it is proven. You already had dopers, wife beaters, and racists in the hall but now you want to draw the line here with these guys.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
In one of the articles I read, the new owners plan on ponying over half the cost for a new arena and get the rest through private funds.

They'll get their new arena and the fans/taxpayers won't be screwed.

Sucks to see my team go but with this new ownership group, they will finally be taken care of.
Hansen is going to pitch in 290 million and the other 200 will come from the taxpayers but it will be paid back in rent checks.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Hansen is going to pitch in 290 million and the other 200 will come from the taxpayers but it will be paid back in rent checks.
Not as good as I thought, but still much better than the deal the city of Sacramento would have been stuck with.

Hell, why don't these cheap ******** just sell the team to AEG who can find a real ownership group?

Old
01-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Not as good as I thought, but still much better than the deal the city of Sacramento would have been stuck with.

Hell, why don't these cheap ******** just sell the team to AEG who can find a real ownership group?
I'm pretty sure Burkle would be interested in buying the Kings and taking the arena deal offered to the Maloofs. lol

Old
01-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Burkle would be interested in buying the Kings and taking the arena deal offered to the Maloofs. lol
I'm pretty sure most owners would. I'm pretty sure most owners didn't run their businesses into the ground, though.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:42 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
I'm pretty sure most owners would. I'm pretty sure most owners didn't run their businesses into the ground, though.
Hey, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas man.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:31 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
Quote:
Even weirder is that I went to college with his niece and we're pretty decent friends since we partied in the same circle in those college years. Always weird when I see her Uncle's name there.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Brodie Brazil ‏@brodiebrazilCSN Unfortunate for NorCal. RT @MSteinmetzCSN: I've heard from reliable source that the Kings' sale to Seattle is done deal.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Old
01-11-2013, 05:38 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

Lame. I don't like basketball, but they'll be sorely missed in this city.

Old
01-11-2013, 06:00 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
Lame. I don't like basketball, but they'll be sorely missed in this city.
I don't get it. Sacramento has a population of nearly 500,000 people, is the 35th largest in the USA and if you include the surrounding cities like Stockton, is the fourth largest in California and 25th in the USA.

Of the MSA's larger than Sacramento, every single one has a sports team. There are 20 smaller MSA's than Sacramento that support sports franchises, and that excludes all the Canadian NHL teams.

My hope was to see Seattle get an NHL franchise to help the West Coast travel and have another regional rivilary. This wont help.

01-11-2013, 06:22 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
I don't get it. Sacramento has a population of nearly 500,000 people, is the 35th largest in the USA and if you include the surrounding cities like Stockton, is the fourth largest in California and 25th in the USA.

Of the MSA's larger than Sacramento, every single one has a sports team. There are 20 smaller MSA's than Sacramento that support sports franchises, and that excludes all the Canadian NHL teams.

My hope was to see Seattle get an NHL franchise to help the West Coast travel and have another regional rivilary. This wont help.
It's never been an issue of ticket sales / fan support in Sacramento. They packed that arena every night when there was ever any semblance of a competitive team on the floor.

It's an ownership issue. The Maloofs have driven their businesses into the ground and don't have the money for a competitive team. Maloofs never wanted to sell the Kings, but that Seattle money will pay off all their loans and give them plenty of pocket change for years to come.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:04 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post

It is all for the better. Sacramento can do much better in terms of an ownership situation. They will get another pro franchise whether it's hockey or basketball and it will be in a new arena.

As for Seattle, getting a basketball team helps them get the arena deal finished and part of the deal is getting both a basketball team and a hockey team. Seattle will still get a hockey team.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

vCash: 157
who's got their money on JSmith playing tomorrow?

Old
01-12-2013, 08:22 AM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
With the Kings leaving, the Sharks might be the second worst team in the Bay Area aside from the Raiders. Giants are WS champs, A's are division winners, 49ers are SB contenders, and the freaking Warriors might end up with a better playoff seed than the Sharks. The window is closed and it's sad but all things come to an end i guess. The Sharks don't even have a finals birth to show for it though.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:56 AM
Clowe Me

The Kings aren't even considered part of the bay area. They don't even get highlights on sportsnet central.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:47 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

today is probably the best day of football in terms of the quality of the teams playing. Go Niners!

Old
01-12-2013, 01:04 PM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
today is probably the best day of football in terms of the quality of the teams playing. Go Niners!
It can't get any worse than last week, could it? I hope all 4 games are good this weekend, and yes Go Niners.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

I'm so stoked for this game. I'm hoping the 49ers set the pace with a J. Smith sack on the first play.

Oh one can dream.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:34 PM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Dylan View Post
I'm so stoked for this game. I'm hoping the 49ers set the pace with a J. Smith sack on the first play.

Oh one can dream.
I hope J. Smith can play the whole game. I'm a little wary of a relapse tonight.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie551 View Post
I hope J. Smith can play the whole game. I'm a little wary of a relapse tonight.
He's a huge part of the pass rush if he can't play the majority of the game, the 49ers are going to have trouble winning. On a good note though I believe it was Whitner who said he was tossing around Leonard Davis for 4 days straight.

Closed Thread