HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Anthony Henday

Old
10-26-2012, 06:54 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Drive it every day. It's too slow.

Proof?

80% of the population is doing 120 the entire way.
Really not the case. Maybe at some point it was but theres so many radar patrols of Henday that most people have slowed down.

Heres another key barrier in Alberta about speed limits. We have some really bad drivers here. Drivers that are virtually incapable of aiming their vehicle along at slow speeds. Unfortunately these people actually venture out on freeways and theres nothing stopping them. The same drivers, and many others also have no apparent ability to gauge road conditions. So if the road conditions are treacherous they tend to still be driving near the speed limit.

Just yesterday a school bus flipped near Taber immediately after passing a Semi on an icy stretch of highway. Fortunately nobody was killed as the bus slid across all lanes of the busy highway onto the ditch. This apparently being a driver incapable of realizing the safe speed limit or with a cognition that maybe the semi driver knew what he was doing. This person driving kids..her own kids were in the bus too.

Damn, I gotta drive out of town today in the first snowstorm in the area. Bound to be several drivers out there that seeminly never encountered road conditions before. Stay safe people, be careful out there, the first snow is always the worst for driving.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:39 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240SX93 View Post
I think one of the reasons for the repairs are that the "tines" lines in the concrete are the wrong way, they should be across the road not with flow of traffic, as that promotes hydro planing since the water is trapped in the grooves, where as if they are across the road it would drain properly
This isn't correct. I don't know the exact detail, but I can tell you the lines are correct from a safety and engineer standpoint. Just imagine how rough it would be if they were the other way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Schmidt View Post
If I'm not mistaken, construction and maintenance of sections of the road are contracted out to private corporations. They decide what materials are used (within specs) and have to maintain them afterwards. I think that the corp responsible for that section thought that it would be less costly, in the long term to use concrete. They may be regretting their decision by now.
They were given the option on that phase, one that turned out to be a huge mistake as you now see how hard it is to repair concrete roads. The guys that built that section aren't even from around here if I remember correctly. I will say this as much of a mistake that was, thank god they learned from it. It wasn't only that, look at the SE leg, from the start they knew not to piss around and put the overpasses in from the start.

I will say this as a whole this was a much needed project. Take the Henday out and it would be back to using the whitemud to get accross the city on the south. There have been a lot of mistakes, but they learn from them. I wished it would've been 3 lanes right around Edmonton, but I guess it isn't.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:41 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Really not the case. Maybe at some point it was but theres so many radar patrols of Henday that most people have slowed down.
This really isn't the case.

People slow down for 1km and then speed back up, and the radar isn't exactly there all the time.

Old
10-26-2012, 08:43 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
I'd been away from Edmonton for about 5 years until coming back this summer, and staying with family out in St. Albert just blew my mind. The Henday is an amazing stretch of road that makes commuting SO much quicker for anyone who lives near enough to take it. Really impressive.
This is going to sound odd, but it was faster in the winter than this summer.

Old
10-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
This really isn't the case.

People slow down for 1km and then speed back up, and the radar isn't exactly there all the time.
"The radar?" Theres been several radar locations and you're probably missing some alltogether. Check your mailbox.. Theres tricky dicky radar trucks that hide anywhere now under bridges, overpasses, hidden by utility shacks etc. When you drive as much as me you can spot em regularly. Spot enforcement has been happening all over on the Henday.

I drive all sections of the Henday several times a day and most people aren't speeding 120.

For sure there are vehicles doing that type of speed but even at 110km very few vehicles are ever passing me. Most drivers are driving closer to the speed limit. Frankly I see crazier drivers on Whitemud or Yellowhead on a regular basis. Henday often seems pretty civilized in comparison.
Perhaps because it is already a higher speed limit theres more of a similar speed that people are driving at.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Albertans are terrible drivers and the speed limit should probably be lowered.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
As a North Ender, I think the Henday is super. Cuts my time going to and from the airport by at least 20 to 30 minutes. I haven't checked out the recently finished section up 97 street yet but I will.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:17 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
"The radar?" Theres been several radar locations and you're probably missing some alltogether. Check your mailbox.. Theres tricky dicky radar trucks that hide anywhere now under bridges, overpasses, hidden by utility shacks etc. When you drive as much as me you can spot em regularly. Spot enforcement has been happening all over on the Henday.

I drive all sections of the Henday several times a day and most people aren't speeding 120.

For sure there are vehicles doing that type of speed but even at 110km very few vehicles are ever passing me. Most drivers are driving closer to the speed limit. Frankly I see crazier drivers on Whitemud or Yellowhead on a regular basis. Henday often seems pretty civilized in comparison.
Perhaps because it is already a higher speed limit theres more of a similar speed that people are driving at.
Not hard to see a truck parked on the site of the road, slow down and speed up. They are in the same spot everytime they do it. I do 118 everyday, I pass just as many people that pass me.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:18 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreator View Post
Albertans are terrible drivers and the speed limit should probably be lowered.
I agree. We don't even have snow and there is accidents all the time.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:18 AM
oiler-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
I'd like to see it bumped to 110, and agree it should be 3 lanes. Desperately need to add a free flow lane at the Callingwood exits.

It's also about time the Whitemud was bumped to 100.
I used to think that, when I only drove the Whitemud occasionally. Now I drive it every morning & afternoon during rush hours, and it most certainly cannot handle 100km/h. Exits are too closely spaced, the Terwillegar exit being on the left throws things out of whack. At least 3 times a week, I'm stopped on the Whitemud because exit ramps are full. 100km is a bad idea there, since 50% already travel at that speed. They'll then go 110-120, and it just isn't capable of that.

oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Stoneman89

The Henday is great, but the city really needs to turn it's attention to renovating the Yellowhead now in terms of road improvements. Making it a true freeway like the Whitemud and Henday is badly needed, and will save thousands of accidents and many lives.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:42 AM
oiler-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
The Henday is great, but the city really needs to turn it's attention to renovating the Yellowhead now in terms of road improvements. Making it a true freeway like the Whitemud and Henday is badly needed, and will save thousands of accidents and many lives.
It's in the plans, but the cost to do so is upwards of $800M so it'll be a little bit before it's done. But it is absolutely necessary, you're right.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:03 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
It's in the plans, but the cost to do so is upwards of $800M so it'll be a little bit before it's done. But it is absolutely necessary, you're right.
Like I said in off-topic. Lets first make a bylaw that it's illegal to have trucks in all 3 lanes. That would sure help out, not you get to 149th and 4 trucks only make it through.

The plan has always been there to make it a freeway, but the plan was/is to finish the Henday first. The hope is once the Henday is done that it will help with traffic on both the Yellowhead and Whitemud.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

I am so glad I never have to use the Yellowhead.
There isn't a day that passes where I don't hear "collision on the Yellowhead" in the morning on the radio.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:22 AM
bone

vCash: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchslap View Post
Freeways in cities the States are just fine with a 65 limit(which almost nobody follows), I don't see why our roads are so slow. Whitemud should be 100 and at least some parts of the henday up to 110.

Come winter time that may be a bit fast, but people are smart enough to know how fast they can safely drive in bad conditions. I don't want to give the drivers in this city much credit, cause right after our first small dump of snow now I just drove home and saw a pretty nasty accident on 85st a couple minutes ago. Right after that I entered the 98th ave traffic circle and some lady cut me off and put me in a really sketchy situation. I'm driving a RWD 95 Supra with performance tires, so they don't fare too well in winter. Time to park it til next year.
Seriously, you drive Edmonton roads and you think this bolded part is true. Our drivers are some of the stupidest people on the planet. With a 110 speed limit, I guarantee the soccer moms in their SUVs who think they are invincible because of 4X4 as well as the idiots with their oversized trucks that know they won't get hurt (but the victims they hit surely die) would be going 130 in the middle of a blizzard.

bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Dabomb

I love the Henday.. use it everyday going to and home from work. Its much better now that all the interchanges have been complete in the SW. Before the interchanges were finished, I hated the Henday and took whitemud instead.

And in terms of development, the Henday has done wonders. Just look at all the neighbourhoods that are popping up and full of construction all along the freeway. I'm not sure that many people would have moved to those neighborhoods if the Henday didn't exist.

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:33 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
I love the Henday.. use it everyday going to and home from work. Its much better now that all the interchanges have been complete in the SW. Before the interchanges were finished, I hated the Henday and took whitemud instead.

And in terms of development, the Henday has done wonders. Just look at all the neighbourhoods that are popping up and full of construction all along the freeway. I'm not sure that many people would have moved to those neighborhoods if the Henday didn't exist.
I honestly don't know that it has much to do with the Henday as much as that's where the developers had land and that's where they built.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
People who claim Albertans are bad drivers have never been to Europe (Italy specifically). I would fear for my life every time I had to cross the street as a pedestrian. If they got nearly as much ice as we do, the accident rate would be astonishing.

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Dabomb

Quote:
I honestly don't know that it has much to do with the Henday as much as that's where the developers had land and that's where they built.
Well if the Henday didn't exist, getting around from those neighborhoods (like Cameron Heights, The Hamptons, etc) would have been a nightmare. I'm pretty sure Henday certainly helped in people's decisions to build in those neighborhoods.

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:50 AM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
People who claim Albertans are bad drivers have never been to Europe (Italy specifically). I would fear for my life every time I had to cross the street as a pedestrian. If they got nearly as much ice as we do, the accident rate would be astonishing.
Its just a different driving culture over there, Im not sure if its much better or worse.

I agree, drivers seem reckless and fast over there, but Im also convinced that the jacked-up-F350 drivers we have in this Province would kill themselves and others pretty quickly on the blind corners, narrow streets and switch-backs of European roadways.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:51 AM
oiler-dude

Quote:
Like I said in off-topic. Lets first make a bylaw that it's illegal to have trucks in all 3 lanes. That would sure help out, not you get to 149th and 4 trucks only make it through.

The plan has always been there to make it a freeway, but the plan was/is to finish the Henday first. The hope is once the Henday is done that it will help with traffic on both the Yellowhead and Whitemud.
The Henday is a Provincial project though, it's not funded from the City. The Yellowhead is City owned.

(this part is off topic to that, but still interesting IMO)
Back in the 60s / 70s, the Province wanted a primary E/W freeway through Edmonton and would have funded it (like they do / did(?) the Deerfoot in Calgary), but Edmonton said no to the plan that would have seen Stony Plain Rd / River Valley Road / MacKinnon Ravine / 98 Ave / Baseline Rd. be freeway'd. Google "METS Freeway Plans" and you'll see some pretty scary stuff. Luckily the City said no thanks to that plan (though, MacKinnon ravine had started to be prepped already, which has since been reversed) and build the Yellowhead themselves.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:58 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
The Henday is a Provincial project though, it's not funded from the City. The Yellowhead is City owned.

(this part is off topic to that, but still interesting IMO)
Back in the 60s / 70s, the Province wanted a primary E/W freeway through Edmonton and would have funded it (like they do / did(?) the Deerfoot in Calgary), but Edmonton said no to the plan that would have seen Stony Plain Rd / River Valley Road / MacKinnon Ravine / 98 Ave / Baseline Rd. be freeway'd. Google "METS Freeway Plans" and you'll see some pretty scary stuff. Luckily the City said no thanks to that plan (though, MacKinnon ravine had started to be prepped already, which has since been reversed) and build the Yellowhead themselves.
pretty interesting

but I'm not sure why it'd be a bad thing....one of the gripes about Edmonton is accessing downtown is a nightmare

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:07 AM
oiler-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
pretty interesting

but I'm not sure why it'd be a bad thing....one of the gripes about Edmonton is accessing downtown is a nightmare
If you take a look at the plan, you'll see why. It would have decimated not only MacKinnon Ravine, but also Mill Creek Ravine, destroyed most of Queen Mary Park, etc. Granted, that is if the full plan would have gone into effect. There are better ways to make downtown more accessible than gutting central neighborhoods & ravines. It would have essentially made us Houston, which isn't exactly a model of downtown.

Vancouver is hard to access too, but the lack of freeways makes for a more urban feel. Tell me which downtown you'd rather be in. Vancouver or Houston?

Old
10-26-2012, 11:27 AM
bsmith14

I have mixed feelings about Henday.

Pros:

It makes much more of the city accessible quickly. We are a large city area wise and Henday allows for quick access to all corners. It takes stress off of inner-city arteries and can handle a larger volume of traffic. It allows trucking industries to avoid city roads as much as possible.

Cons:

It is spurring development in the wrong areas. By creating further suburban development in places such as Windemere, the city is forced to deal with the costs of urban sprawl. Developing so far away from the downtown core requires greater commuting distances, and increases the need of owning a motorized vehicle (approx one car per adult). It also takes away from green and farmland. New developments are not built with the proper mass transit structures in place and do not have sufficient biking and walking paths. Simply put I feel like you are "cut off" from the rest of the city. Instead I think we should be revitalizing and introducing mixed commercial/residential/greenspace developments in older parts of the city, which are much closer to the downtown core.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:37 AM
greenlightning86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
I agree Alberta drivers are not as bad as you think once you travel around the world. Saudi Arabian highways are down right scary. Posted speed is 100 to 110 km/hr but the average speed is 160 to 180 km/hr. 3 lane highways are converted to 4 or 5 as both shoulders are used to pass "slow" vehicles, you know the ones doing 150 km/hr.

greenlightning86 is offline   Reply With Quote