HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

P. Kane for OEL

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2012, 02:33 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

vCash: 500
I think Kane only moves for either a center of slightly lesser offensive calibre or a good starting goalie. Chicago doesn't need OEL as much as they need Kane or the two things I just mentioned

Old
10-26-2012, 02:46 AM
RemoAZ
Stugots

I'd have to seriously consider this. OEL is so damn and getting better but I would love to watch Kane every night. If we ever have hockey again that is...

Old
10-26-2012, 03:05 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
I'd have to seriously consider this. OEL is so damn and getting better but I would love to watch Kane every night. If we ever have hockey again that is...
Of course Phoenix fans would miss OEL. Anyone who wants to get one of the better forwards in the game, in a swap trade, will have to give up something they really wish didnt have to give up.

Old
10-26-2012, 03:16 AM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

I think the posters who have said "it's close talent wise" are right on, but I think too much is being made of the fact that Kane is a possibly crappy human. Whether he sucks as a person or not, he doesn't seem to exhibit the normal sucky-dude trait of slacking off when things aren't going well. I think Kane did his best in a tough situation last year, and I think as long as he works hard his teammates will love him wherever he is, just like they do in Chicago. We haven't had a chance to see how he would do in a worse general situation, but I think that is simply insufficient information. Plus, Kane is only 30 months older than OEL. On top of that, Kane has a pretty sparkling playoff resume to lean on, while Ekman-Larsson hasn't built that yet.

Now, if given the option as a Canucks fan, which would I prefer? Probably Kane, since we have so many left-shooting D-men. But its so close between an 80-point RW/C and a probable #1 blue-liner who scored 32 points in his first full season and logged huge minutes. Its close enough that I think both teams have to think long and hard, but eventually pass due to organizational familiarity.

Old
10-26-2012, 04:41 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I would say yes if I were Phoenix, not sure about Chicago.

Phoenix has Yandle, Gormley, Rundblad, etc, and no star wingers to speak of really. Although I don't know how Kane would fair in Phoenix's system.
OEL is likely going to be the very best of the bunch longterm though. Its like the difference between trying to pry Kane or Sharp out of Chicago vs trying to get Toews out of there (granted Toews has more value than OEL, just pointing out that he's their #1 building block).

Old
10-26-2012, 05:52 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Chicago says no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent By Design View Post
Good value but PHX wouldn't touch this, you don't trade players like OEL.
much like you don't trade players like Kane??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritzky98 View Post
When did Kane get so underrated...
Cab Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Nah, its OEL that's sickeningly overrated right now. Franchise D-man, wa?...
it's a combination of one player underrated while the other gets overrated

Old
10-26-2012, 06:07 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post

it's a combination of one player underrated while the other gets overrated
Hmm I dont know. If you look at all the D in the league under the age of 25, you could probably only say that Doughty, Karlsson, and Pietrangelo are definitely better than OEL at this point, and only another 1-2 (Subban/Myers) would be comparable to OEL.

Look at all the forwards? Toews, Stamkos, Tavares, are all definitely bettere than Kane. Bt the list of comparable players is much longer. RNH, Hall, Duchene, Landeskog, Eberle, Couture, Benn. J. Staal, Backstrom, etc.

There are more young high end forwards in the league than there are D. So Id say a talent like OEL is harder to acquire than a talent like P. Kane.

Old
10-26-2012, 07:15 AM
Tomas W

OEL isnt overrated. Kane might be underrated though. At least if you think Chicago would trade him for OEL.

Old
10-26-2012, 07:23 AM
Henkka

I read this topic as "Patrick Kane to DEL" and it sounded like a good idea.

Beer league is maybe the best fit for this party boy.

Old
10-26-2012, 07:27 AM
xX Hot Fuss

The "Kane is a cancer so I don't want him on my team" stuff is hilarious...and ridiculous...and ignorant.

I get that PHX fans wouldn't want to trade OEL but "because Kane is a cancer" is total nonsense.

I'd never trade Kane. Not even for OEL or Pietrangelo. Hawks don't need another #1 Dman. Keith and Seabrook are good enough.

Old
10-26-2012, 08:59 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
The "Kane is a cancer so I don't want him on my team" stuff is hilarious...and ridiculous...and ignorant.

I get that PHX fans wouldn't want to trade OEL but "because Kane is a cancer" is total nonsense.

I'd never trade Kane. Not even for OEL or Pietrangelo. Hawks don't need another #1 Dman. Keith and Seabrook are good enough.
Wait, wait, what? Aren't YOU the original poster? Haha.

10-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Hawkaholic

No, just no.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:20 AM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Wait, wait, what? Aren't YOU the original poster? Haha.
Haha, my thoughts exactly.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:01 AM
NYVanfan

vCash: 50
as a Canuck fan, I have no love for the Hawks, but this really favors Phx.

Kane is only 23 and has put up nearly 90 pts in this league ...also has a cup winning goal to go with his 52 points in 51 playoff games.

Last edited by ColePens: 10-26-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old
10-26-2012, 10:07 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Old School

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
As a neutral observer of both teams - I think both say no. If I had to say one was more valuable than the other, I'd go with OEL. He's just so damn good. I love his intangibles on defense and think he is going to be a huge star in this league. That's not taking away anything from Kane. Just my perspective.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Moore Money

Not sure why Chicago would do this. They need a centre more than a dman.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:25 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avacadoh View Post
Not sure why Chicago would do this. They need a centre more than a dman.
Getting a top notch goalie is probably their biggest need. Trading Kane could probably get them a 2nd line C + top goalie prospect in terms of value.

Maybe something like Krejci + M. Subban? Though Subban is hard to predict because he was literally just drafted.

It would give Boston the PPG dynamic winger that they've been missing, and lets them move Seguin back to Centre.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Violent By Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
much like you don't trade players like Kane??
PPG wingers get traded far more often than Norris prospect defensemen still on their ELC. Not to mention this thread is being posted at a time when Kane's value is at an all time low while Ekman's value is through the roof due to the hype machine.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Mitts McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthroughforest View Post
Um, Chicago hangs up the phone laughing if it's a straight swap.
Why? Maybe you should watch more hockey other than the Lames. OEL IMO is one of the best young defenseman in the game. He's pretty close to Pietrangelo.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:32 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent By Design View Post
PPG wingers get traded far more often than Norris prospect defensemen still on their ELC. Not to mention this thread is being posted at a time when Kane's value is at an all time low while Ekman's value is through the roof due to the hype machine.

They also are allowed to hit UFA status more often than franchise C/D/G.

Kovalchuk, Gaborik, Hossa, and Parise have all hit UFA status in the last few years while still in their prime.

Centres? B. Richards.. I think that's it.

D? Suter.. I think that's it.

Goalies? None.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Mr Wu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
I think the posters who have said "it's close talent wise" are right on, but I think too much is being made of the fact that Kane is a possibly crappy human. Whether he sucks as a person or not, he doesn't seem to exhibit the normal sucky-dude trait of slacking off when things aren't going well. I think Kane did his best in a tough situation last year, and I think as long as he works hard his teammates will love him wherever he is, just like they do in Chicago. We haven't had a chance to see how he would do in a worse general situation, but I think that is simply insufficient information. Plus, Kane is only 30 months older than OEL. On top of that, Kane has a pretty sparkling playoff resume to lean on, while Ekman-Larsson hasn't built that yet.

Now, if given the option as a Canucks fan, which would I prefer? Probably Kane, since we have so many left-shooting D-men. But its so close between an 80-point RW/C and a probable #1 blue-liner who scored 32 points in his first full season and logged huge minutes. Its close enough that I think both teams have to think long and hard, but eventually pass due to organizational familiarity.
Heng Dai.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:37 AM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

No from Phoenix. Pretty solid swap, but OEL means more to the Coyotes as a team than Kane would.

Old
10-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritzky98 View Post
When did Kane get so underrated...
It's the typical HF cycle. Down year, play half the season out of position? You're just not a very good player anymore.

Once he vaults back up to an 80 point pace (or more) in whenever the next season he is, he'll be fairly rated again. But until then...

Old
10-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

Also, no thank you from Chicago. OEL is awesome but Kane has greater value than just him.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:01 AM
hockeywoot

Neither team does this. Doesn't really make sense
Although in terms of value Kane>OEL.....for now, I feel this could change in a season or two.

Closed Thread