HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Quebec City Part VII: Si J'avais les ailes d'un ange

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 12:45 PM
garbageteam

vCash: 500
Really puling for you guys. I check this thread every time there's a new post in it. Canada deserves eight teams in the NHL for the amount of fans, revenue and players it contributes to the league. Apart from my team winning the cup, the second best thing that could happen with the NHL for me is a return to QC...

Old
01-23-2013, 09:20 PM
WildGopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbageteam View Post
Really puling for you guys. I check this thread every time there's a new post in it. Canada deserves eight teams in the NHL for the amount of fans, revenue and players it contributes to the league. Apart from my team winning the cup, the second best thing that could happen with the NHL for me is a return to QC...
Same here. It's ridiculous that the NHL isn't in Quebec, especially once the new arena is done. Winnipeg's success should be all the NHL needs to know to put a team there, whether by expansion or a relocation if it's needed.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:51 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
if Aubut had asked for and received the same proposal to replace the Colisee as is being proposed, why would he have sold to Kroenke and COMSAT in 1996?

hindsight is 20/20

Old
01-23-2013, 09:54 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
if Aubut had asked for and received the same proposal to replace the Colisee as is being proposed, why would he have sold to Kroenke and COMSAT in 1996?

hindsight is 20/20
True, we had a stupid politician of a mayor at that time and the provincial government was not helping. We basically lost our team because of sleezy politicians and Aubut... I havent forgave Aubut ever since then...

Old
01-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post

hindsight is 20/20
It's a lot more complex then that.

You see, in 1996 ''Québec city'' was in fact the: Québec City proper, cities of Beauport, Cap-Rouge, Charlesbourg, L'Ancienne-Lorette, Lac-Saint-Charles, Loretteville, Saint-Émile, Sainte-Foy, Sillery, Val-Bélair, Vanier; municipality of Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures.

Building a modern arena was impossible at that time, since getting the money for it on the City level was impossible.

But in 2002 that was all fused into the modern Québec City with the following boroughs. In summary Québec City stepped into the shoes of the Urban center it had become like New-York City did so long ago by merging into a super city, able to afford the kind of infrastructure a city needs.

(with the still independant L'ancienne Lorette, now under siege and getting basically pillaged for services by the increadibly clever Mayor Labeaume. And the independant Wendake reservation)

So then, we had to money to organise massive events and build a new arena!

Last edited by Acesolid: 01-23-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old
01-23-2013, 10:12 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
It's a lot more complex then that.

You see, in 1996 ''Québec city'' was in fact the: Québec City proper, cities of Beauport, Cap-Rouge, Charlesbourg, L'Ancienne-Lorette, Lac-Saint-Charles, Loretteville, Saint-Émile, Sainte-Foy, Sillery, Val-Bélair, Vanier; municipality of Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures.

Building a modern arena was impossible at that time, since getting the money for it on the City level was impossible.

But in 2002 that was all fused into the modern Québec City with the following boroughs. In summary Québec City stepped into the shoes of the Urban center it had become like New-York City did so long ago by merging into a super city, able to afford the kind of infrastructure a city needs.

(with the still independant L'ancienne Lorette, now under siege and getting basically pillaged for services by the increadibly clever Mayor Labeaume. And the independant Wendake reservation)

So then, we had to money to organise massive events and build a new arena!

...and that!!

Old
01-23-2013, 11:48 PM
DJ Omnimaga

Also in 1995 Aubut was claiming the team was losing money, lots of it. Financial World reports said otherwise (at least from 1990 to 1994). Who was right?

Old
01-24-2013, 06:38 AM
Shawa666

vCash: 490
Aubut said that the team was going to lose money in the long run, not that it was losing money.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:53 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Omnimaga View Post
Also in 1995 Aubut was claiming the team was losing money, lots of it. Financial World reports said otherwise (at least from 1990 to 1994). Who was right?
The Nords never loosed money, they were about to.

I have no bitterness towards Marcel Aubut. There was no salary cap, no cooperation from the mayer and very little from the province, nothing from Ottawa, therefore, they ( I say they because he was not alone) had no choice.

Yes, the fusion of all the cities into one and only city helped, salary cap helps but also, Qc city is not the same, many new business around. This city is now hot. (well, in terms of investments...)

But time will fix things. Is it 2013 or later, NHL hockey will be back soon in la capitale.

Old
01-24-2013, 10:38 AM
calmdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post

I have no bitterness towards Marcel Aubut. There was no salary cap, no cooperation from the mayer and very little from the province, nothing from Ottawa, therefore, they ( I say they because he was not alone) had no choice.

Yes, the fusion of all the cities into one and only city helped, salary cap helps but also, Qc city is not the same, many new business around. This city is now hot. (well, in terms of investments...)

But time will fix things. Is it 2013 or later, NHL hockey will be back soon in la capitale.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/learnves...ions-for-2013/

Old
01-24-2013, 11:22 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post

This, Aubut made the right business move. It pissed us off, it angered us and it saddened us, but that was the good move. If he had kept the team, at best, we would have been what the Oilers were during those times: a team trading its young stars away year after year after year. We would have lost a ton of money and the team might have end up leaving before the year 2000.

Now, we are ready for a team, the city has changed, the economic landscape of the NHL has changed and we have a new arena underway.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:51 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Yeah, but the question that will arise if the Yotes deal falls through who'll land 'em, you guys or Seattle? I'm still leaning Quebec City, as the prospect of adding an NHL team and an NBA team simultaneously probably is a bit of a rush for any market regardless of the size, but can never tell with their own arena deal essentially becoming concrete once the Kings relocation is approved, even if the are a year or two behind Quebecor.

Then again, if a two-team expansion's really in the NHL's books in the next five or so years, it's a moot point as both markets will land teas, but still...

Old
01-24-2013, 11:56 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

US. We have ownership in place, we have an arena already in construction and we have a suitable temporary arena. Seattle doesn't have an owner yet nor a suitable temporary arena.

They'll get the Sonics back, they'll build their arena and they'll get an expansion franchise.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:02 PM
thom

Maurice Aubut even set up his own tv hockey network in the early 80's that competed against cbc hockey night in canada.That was one of the reasons he was able to get Quebec in nhl from wha.He convinced powerful owners in usa that he could get a network.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:14 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Seattle doesn't have an owner yet nor a suitable temporary arena.
uh.... Chris Hansen and it's already been announced that they'd use Key Arena if the NBA and/or NHL came into Seattle while the new arena was being built. Not nearly as functional as the Colisee, for sure, but if push comes to shove they'll use it.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:17 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

The Key Arena, from what I've read isn't a suitable NHL arena. As for the owner isn't he the one who wants the NBA team?

Old
01-24-2013, 12:19 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
The Key Arena, from what I've read isn't a suitable NHL arena. As for the owner isn't he the one who wants the NBA team?
He wants both. And Key's arguably as suitable as the Barclays Center will be minus the luxury booths, so the league's obviously willing to settle.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Stonewall

Quote:
US. We have ownership in place, we have an arena already in construction and we have a suitable temporary arena. Seattle doesn't have an owner yet nor a suitable temporary arena.

They'll get the Sonics back, they'll build their arena and they'll get an expansion franchise.
It wouldn't be as ideal as the Colisée, but they could use the Tacoma Dome for a season or two.

If the Coyotes move to Quebec or Seattle, would the NHL be willing to expand to just the other city, or would they wait until they can get to 32 teams?

Old
01-24-2013, 12:25 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
It wouldn't be as ideal as the Colisée, but they could use the Tacoma Dome for a season or two.

If the Coyotes move to Quebec or Seattle, would the NHL be willing to expand to just the other city, or would they wait until they can get to 32 teams?
I could be wrong but I don't believe the Tacoma Dome has it's ice making equipment anymore.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:59 PM
silvercanuck

They released a study a few months ago that stated the Tacoma Dome was unsuitable as a temporary facility and noted that they no longer have ice making equipment.

If there's a team moved to Seattle the owner is going to have to sustain significant losses in either PHX or at the Key Arena. They could put a team in Portland at the Rose Garden temporarily but that probably wouldn't help things either. It would be next to impossible to sell sponsorships or corporate suites for a single year and probably quite difficult to get the fans out for a team that was going to leave in one season.

Realistically Quebec makes a hell of a lot more sense if an NHL team needs to move in the middle of the night. The Colisee seats about 5,000 more than the Key Arena and the views are not obstructed...

The analytical part of me says that the NHL did not want to move the Coyotes out of Glendale because no city that they wanted to be in had a suitable arena available. When they city underwrote their losses to $25 million per season it bought them time. It's hard to say what will happen next though. I think the league would prefer to move the team to Seattle for logistical reasons but the timing with the arena is a major factor. Right now there are no guarantees that Seattle or Quebec will get a team.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Shawa666

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
uh.... Chris Hansen and it's already been announced that they'd use Key Arena if the NBA and/or NHL came into Seattle while the new arena was being built. Not nearly as functional as the Colisee, for sure, but if push comes to shove they'll use it.
Hansen isn't interested in owning the hockey team. He just wants to fleece it.

Some say Don Levin is interested in owning them, but I think he's another GJ.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:51 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Haha. Don Levin is no GJ. I believe I've read he's worth around $2.3B USD.

01-24-2013, 02:12 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
Hansen isn't interested in owning the hockey team. He just wants to fleece it.

Some say Don Levin is interested in owning them, but I think he's another GJ.
Oh, that's right. The Chicago Wolves guy. He's still incredibly wealthy though, and has a history owning a majorly successful IHL/AHL team.

Still that's a potential owner. And I wouldn't say that Hansen was interested in fleecing a team just because he'd like to see a co-anchor tenant for the new arena.

Old
01-24-2013, 02:29 PM
silvercanuck

According to people in the know there are two or three guys in the wings besides Levin.

Old
01-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Shawa666

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Haha. Don Levin is no GJ. I believe I've read he's worth around $2.3B USD.
Reinsdorf, then.

Closed Thread