HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Quebec City Part VII: Si J'avais les ailes d'un ange

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2013, 07:06 AM
MoreOrr
B4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafShark View Post
Quebec City could always just trade places with Winnipeg... at least get the teams in the right conferences...
If the League has already done the 4-Division alignment, then that wouldn't make a whole lot of difference, and Winnipeg probably wouldn't agree to it.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:47 AM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Omnimaga View Post
I wouldn't mind if my team played in the Pacific for a year as long as home games don't start at 9-10 PM. In fact I'm not even sure if bands and teams are even allowed to use Le Colisée past a certain hour in the night. If Winnipeg can start its home games at different hours despite playing in SE then Quebec should be allowed to.
I would think the issue would be more prominent the other way around, with the Nords playing most their away games at 10-12 at night.

Old
03-02-2013, 07:00 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

If Tippett won't coach the Nordiques, they'd be extremely wise to hire Ulf Samuelsson away from Modo. He will be an excellent NHL head coach very soon.

Last edited by rt: 03-02-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old
03-02-2013, 10:39 PM
DJ Omnimaga

This was placed on top of the crane at the arena construction site

Old
03-02-2013, 10:58 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
If Tippett won't coach the Nordiques, they'd be extremely wise to hire Ulf Samuelsson away from Modo. He will be an excellent NHL head coach very soon.
The Nordiques will need a General Manager. The coach is already set, it'll be Patrick Roy. That's as much a given as anything about the new Nords. Roy has said numerous times he doesn't want to be an NHL GM, he wants to coach.

Roy will coach the new Nordiques.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:07 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Sucks for the new Nordiques. Huge mistake.

Old
03-02-2013, 11:42 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Sucks for the new Nordiques. Huge mistake.
And you know this as fact?

Old
03-02-2013, 11:47 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
And you know this as fact?
It never fails: Drop Casseau's name and watch the all the haters come out of the woodwork

Old
03-02-2013, 11:54 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
It never fails: Drop Casseau's name and watch the all the haters come out of the woodwork
Hey, I never liked the guy as a player, even less as a person. But if people don't think Patrick Roy is the perfect coach to kick off a Nordiques 2.0, then they simply have no clue about anything related to the Quebec Nordiques and their history.

Old
03-03-2013, 02:54 AM
Shawa666

vCash: 490
Quote:
Hey, I never liked the guy as a player, even less as a person. But if people don't think Patrick Roy is the perfect coach to kick off a Nordiques 2.0, then they simply have no clue about anything related to the Quebec Nordiques and their history.
Dude I saw the Nord's history happen.

I wouldn't mind.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Material Defender

Quote:
I, personaly, hated him in the old Habs-Diques rivalry days (in fact, I hated the Habs and still do).

Still, I wouldn't mind at all, as long as he makes the team win.

Old
03-03-2013, 04:50 PM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Still, I wouldn't mind at all, as long as he makes the team win.
Which is why I'm curious why there's such a massive push for Roy. Tippett is far more proven at the NHL level.

Old
03-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
Which is why I'm curious why there's such a massive push for Roy. Tippett is far more proven at the NHL level.
But Quebec City is a far different market. They'll want one of their own behind the bench, no question.

Besides, Roy will coach the Nordiques' expansion franchise. Tippett will still be employed.

Old
03-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Shawa666

Quote:
But Quebec City is a far different market. They'll want one of their own behind the bench, no question.

Besides, Roy will coach the Nordiques' expansion franchise. Tippett will still be employed.
It's more a playing style thing than a coach identity thing. The last thing people want to see in Quebec is a Lemaire/Trap style. People would rather see a losing team than a boring team.

Old
03-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Material Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
It's more a playing style thing than a coach identity thing. The last thing people want to see in Quebec is a Lemaire/Trap style. People would rather see a losing team than a boring team.
Agree 100%

Old
03-03-2013, 09:49 PM
DJ Omnimaga

Yeah the thing is that in Quebec, especially Quebec City, people love offensive hockey with lots of goals, even if it means slightly poorer defense. Of course it might be partly due to how offensive the Nordiques were and how the QMJHL is slightly oriented more toward offense. Also I think Quebec fans are like Boston and Philadelphia fans in the way that they love physical hockey, maybe even fights. Of course I doubt that they would have troubles filling seats with a boring team, but if that boring team started sucking too, you would hear medias and fans constantly whining about it.

However, as far as I remember, the Remparts are co-owned by Roy and PowerCorp, the latter which hates Quebecor and PKP. Roy, who helped bringing back the Remparts, was never really positive in his comments about the return of the Nordiques before either. Because of that, I am unsure if he would want to coach for an NHL team, owned by a rival company, that might eventually kill the Remparts like in 1985).

By the way, I am wondering if, through their main Colisée tenant status and their lease, the Remparts could try to block the return of the NHL in the Colisée (assuming the Nordiques returns before the other arena is ready)?

Last edited by DJ Omnimaga: 03-03-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old
03-04-2013, 12:39 AM
Shawa666

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Omnimaga View Post
Yeah the thing is that in Quebec, especially Quebec City, people love offensive hockey with lots of goals, even if it means slightly poorer defense. Of course it might be partly due to how offensive the Nordiques were and how the QMJHL is slightly oriented more toward offense. Also I think Quebec fans are like Boston and Philadelphia fans in the way that they love physical hockey, maybe even fights. Of course I doubt that they would have troubles filling seats with a boring team, but if that boring team started sucking too, you would hear medias and fans constantly whining about it.

However, as far as I remember, the Remparts are co-owned by Roy and PowerCorp, the latter which hates Quebecor and PKP. Roy, who helped bringing back the Remparts, was never really positive in his comments about the return of the Nordiques before either. Because of that, I am unsure if he would want to coach for an NHL team, owned by a rival company, that might eventually kill the Remparts like in 1985).

By the way, I am wondering if, through their main Colisée tenant status and their lease, the Remparts could try to block the return of the NHL in the Colisée (assuming the Nordiques returns before the other arena is ready)?
Someone would get murdered at Expo-Cité If they did not put an NHL escape clause in the deal with the Remparts. Anyway that would be really bad PR for them. No betterway to start a mediatic ****storm.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:48 AM
DJ Omnimaga

Yeah, now that you mention it I guess it could backfire pretty bad if it was made public knowledge that they tried to block a move. If it caused a mediatic storm I'm fairly sure that there would be like 500-1000 people at games (although the crowds would not look much worse than some October Coyotes crowds ). If anyone involved in the Remparts ever tries to block PKP from moving a NHL team in I will never put the feet at a Remparts game again.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:04 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Heavily system based, well executed, defensive hockey is not at all boring if your team is the one playing it to a tee, and racking up wins. It's only boring if your team is the poorly prepared one being utterly neutralized by the more effective group. That's when you'll see fans complain that it is boring. When their team is the victim of being completely out executed and left with twenty shot on goal, all from the outside, with no prayer of going in, and getting shut out.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:42 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Heavily system based, well executed, defensive hockey is not at all boring if your team is the one playing it to a tee, and racking up wins. It's only boring if your team is the poorly prepared one being utterly neutralized by the more effective group. That's when you'll see fans complain that it is boring. When their team is the victim of being completely out executed and left with twenty shot on goal, all from the outside, with no prayer of going in, and getting shut out.
This. As a Penguins fan, I would prefer us to be tight defensively than to watch the firewagon ******** we are treated to recently. Sure is entertaining, but it is frustrating as hell. Especially considering that playing like that will see us eliminated in the first round... again.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:50 AM
barneyg

No offense to anyone but I don't understand the argument that "people from QC are like people from Boston or Philly, we like offensive-minded and physical hockey"... who doesn't? ask Devils, Wild and Coyotes fans whether they like the trap better than the '91 Penguins! They love offense too, and they aren't any less demanding than anybody else -- it's always a question of whether hockey is a worthwhile entertainment option, regardless of the system.

Old
03-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Jag68Sid87

But Quebec's history has always centered around offense and great players. You're not going to bring the Nordiques back and not try to build an offensive powerhouse, even at the expense of wins early on. That's why I see an expansion franchise there, not the Coyotes (or anybody else).

Their history is loaded with great offensive players: Serge Bernier, Real Cloutier, Marc Tardif, Jacques Richard, Michel Goulet, Dale Hunter, Peter, Anton and Marian Stastny, Joe Sakic, Mats Sundin, Owen Nolan, Peter Forsberg, Valeri Kamensky and on and on.

This is what the fan base is used to. This is how they'll also bring back all of the converted Habs fans, who left them after the move to Colorado (but deep down are more Nordiques fans than they'll ever be Habs fans). And there are a LOT of you out there.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:11 PM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
But Quebec's history has always centered around offense and great players. You're not going to bring the Nordiques back and not try to build an offensive powerhouse, even at the expense of wins early on. That's why I see an expansion franchise there, not the Coyotes (or anybody else).

Their history is loaded with great offensive players: Serge Bernier, Real Cloutier, Marc Tardif, Jacques Richard, Michel Goulet, Dale Hunter, Peter, Anton and Marian Stastny, Joe Sakic, Mats Sundin, Owen Nolan, Peter Forsberg, Valeri Kamensky and on and on.

This is what the fan base is used to. This is how they'll also bring back all of the converted Habs fans, who left them after the move to Colorado (but deep down are more Nordiques fans than they'll ever be Habs fans). And there are a LOT of you out there.
A quick comment:

Valeri Kamensky was a deception, at least for me. The great unknown is Jacques Richard, by far...

103 points! in 80-81 but unfortunately, he had personnal problems and never got back to this level of success.

Now, whatever happens, Coyotes or expansion, I am not so sure the new team will try to build on offence at first. They'll want to make playoffs, and will play defensively if needed.

With time, they will try to build an offence team but gotta be very very patient.

We'll see.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:53 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
RDS sent a journalist to Seattle to pimp them as a hockey town, haha, that's pathetic. Bell vs Quebecor will be great once we get a team.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:31 AM
Kebekoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
RDS sent a journalist to Seattle to pimp them as a hockey town, haha, that's pathetic. Bell vs Quebecor will be great once we get a team.
Maybe they will get Labatt as beer vendor to start another war.
  • Molson VS Labatt
  • Bell VS Quebecor
  • Metropolis VS Capital

Closed Thread