HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Prospect Stock Market

Old
10-24-2012, 01:36 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

vCash: 500
Prospect Stock Market

Prospect Stock Market;
Martin Frk - FALLING - What do you call a slow skating, injury prone, undisciplined, goal scoring prospect who can't score? Martin Frk. It's been a very disappointing start to the season for Frk. Worse, there are signals that he may have attitude issues. This is a prospect who comes with question marks even before attitude issues.
Jake Patterson - HOLDING STEADY - Was off to a decent start until a really tough outing blasted his stats.
Andreas Athanasio - RISING - Good, point-per-game start in the toughest Canadian league to score. Is starting to look like the one to watch from the Class of '12.
Mike McKee - HOLDING STEADY- We're a long, long, long way from knowing much about Mike McKee.
James DeHaas - HOLDING STEADY - Like with McKee, it's really tough to gauge
Rasmus Bodin - HOLDING STEADY - Very little is known about him so far. But unlike McKee and DeHaas, Bodin doesn't have forever to prove worthy of a contract.

Tomas Jurco - RISING - The AHL season is still young, but the reviews for Jurco have been very positive despite a single goal in 4 games.
XAVIER OUELLET - HOLDING STEADY - After major steps forward last year, Ouellet is off to another strong start. If chosen for the Canadian WJC team, he can really improve his stock. But he's already
Ryan Sproul -- HOLDING STEADY - Was off to a good start. Now the question is, how will he respond from an injury that probably robbed him off any chance he might have had to play for Canada's WJC team. But he's already under contract.
Alan Quine - FALLING - Not a single game played. He's a guy who really needs a standout season for a contract and coming back from mono isn't always easy.
Tvrdon - FALLING - Wings hoped he'd be a Hossa type, but he's off to a pretty weak start. 9 Points isn't bad in 10 games. But for year two after a draft, one goal in 10 games isn't a great start. He has a contract already, so he can rest easy.
Phillipe Hudon -- RISING - Rising, sure. but he was practically done as a prospect after last year. He needs to get a lot stronger between now and the end of the season.
Mattias Backman - RISING - Playing lots of minutes in the SEL. Seems trusted with his defensive game.
Richard Nedomlel - HOLDING STEADY - Improved his stock a ton last year by showing he could produce a little bit. His production isn't as strong this year, especially in the goal scoring department.
Alexei Marchenko - RISING - Showing he can play in a league that has some high-end, NHL talent. Isn't getting big minutes, though, as it appears Russian teams play eight defensemen.

Riley Sheahan - HOLDING STEADY - Has looked pretty good in three games in Grand Rapids.
Calle Jarnkrok -- RISING - Producing at near a point-per-game even without his old linemate. Still has issues with strength and goal scoring, but is developing nicely.
LM Aubry - HOLDING STEADY - Not going to punish him for a poor start, yet. He needs to turn it up a notch and start hitting, crashing and banging.
Teemu Pulkkinen - FALLING - Pulkkinen is going backwards, which is really unusual for a prospect. Sometimes, you hit a plateau. But Teemu is dropping. He has a contract already. Something needs to change. Maybe a move to Grand Rapids will help next year.
Petr Mrazek - HOLDING STEADY - Looked really good in his first Toledo start and wasn't bad in his second. It might be time for Mrazek to go the Griffs and Pearce to go to Toledo.
Ben Marshall -- RISING -- Difficult to say with any certainty, of course, after 4 games I never saw. But he's averaging a point per game.

Landon Ferraro -- RISING -- Thriving this year as a two-way player on the Griffins. It's way early, of course. And Ferraro needs to prove he can stay healthy. Like to see him score 20-25 goals and 40 points this year.
Tomas Tatar -- RISING -- Really improved his stock at the WCs. Has 3 points in GR so far, but reports are that he's all over the ice. Wings, if this season gets underway, need to find a way to get him icetime.
Andrej Nestrasil - FALLING - Had three points in season opener for Toledo and hasn't been heard from since. He needs to prove he belongs in Grand Rapids.
Gleason Fournier - FALLING - Made the Griffins but has played just one game.
Nick Jensen - HOLDING STEADY -- On pace for an NHL contract after the season. Looks like he's off to an OK start.
Mitch Callahan - HOLDING STEADY -- Superpest Mitch Callahan is doing enough to stay in the lineup, but needs to show more discipline. Doesn't seem to be proving he's going be a scrappy NHLer, though. Needs to start improving.
Adam Almqvist - HOLDING STEADY - The fact that he's in Grand Rapids is pretty cool, considering where he was drafted. But after two games, he's not looked comfortable. Was temped to list him as falling. Will hold off.

Tomas McCollum -- RISING - McCollum was practically written off earlier, so it doesn't take much to improve that kind of stock. But give him credit, because he's been a heck of a lot better than Jordan Pearce.
Max Nicastro -- RISING - Played in just one game. Reports said he looked good. Not sure why he's not in. The fact that he even played in the AHL is a good sign.
Gustav Nyquist -- HOLDING STEADY -- Decent start for Gus, who, like Tatar, needs to be in the NHL now.

Brendan Smith - HOLDING STEADY - Kid must be sick to death of not being in the NHL.
Joakim Andersson - FALLING - This improved a lot last year. He's off to a sluggish start so far. And he needs to be a stud. He'll be 24 in February.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 01:48 PM
shultzyfeelinirie20

vCash: 1034
Thanks bud for posting this its good to know who are you most dissapointed in?? Pulks?

shultzyfeelinirie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 01:49 PM
shultzyfeelinirie20

id have to say Frk myself i was hoping he would excel right away

Old
10-24-2012, 01:59 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Really unfortunate to read about Pulkkinen. Not surprised, but it still sucks.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 01:59 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Yeah, I would say Pulkkinen and Frk are the big disappointments.

Interestingly, both are hard-shooting prospects. And both are slowish skaters.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:00 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

I'd add Tvrdon as someone I'm a bit disappointed in, so far. Though not as much as the other guys.

On the plus side, I'm most happy so far with Ferraro and with Athansiou

Old
10-24-2012, 02:18 PM
shultzyfeelinirie20

yeah i just dont think ferraro will ever make it to the nhl for some reason and athansiou im glad to hear about as well what league is he in anyways? Also Nicastro i was hoping would be getting more playing time i always thought he had good upside to him

Old
10-24-2012, 02:37 PM
InjuredChoker

Yeah, pretty much agreed with Capt. Bob here. Good write up, liked it.

Pulu, Frk and Tvrdon have been disappointments for me. Sproul kind of too, but what can the kid too when he breaks he's arm. Still feel bad for him.

For Pulu it's part because he's still young and prone to mistakes. When things aren't working out, he tries to do too much himself. That's what young kids do, so not really worried about that. Skating is better but he's hockey sense has stayed pretty much the same two years now or even decreased imo. He can't make plays as well or get to that wide open spot. He does play better D, though. He's been on terrible linemate shifting since the season started, though, and some of them don't know which way to hold a stick.

I haven't seen Frk or Tvrdon play and haven't even head reports about Tvrdon. He's one of the best point scorers on he's team but he's team seems to be terrible. But I still hoped he would have taken the next step and would be able to carry he's team a little.

Frk.. Frk has been very, VERY undisciplined this season, per Hfboards Halifax thread, they are not happy at all, some want him traded. Points are not coming either. He should't get the toughest opponents either as MacKinnon (and Drouin) plays on a different line.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:40 PM
cjm502
#FireHolland

Marshall will surprise you guys, just wait.

cjm502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by shultzyfeelinirie20 View Post
yeah i just dont think ferraro will ever make it to the nhl for some reason and athansiou im glad to hear about as well what league is he in anyways? Also Nicastro i was hoping would be getting more playing time i always thought he had good upside to him
He plays in the OHL.

Trvp Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:48 PM
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

Tvrdon had disappointed this season. But was he really projected as a Hossa-type player? I thought that was Jurco?

Tvrdon was the big body, skilled winger who likes to score, but Hossa wasn't the projected style IIRC.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Tvrdon had disappointed this season. But was he really projected as a Hossa-type player? I thought that was Jurco?

Tvrdon was the big body, skilled winger who likes to score, but Hossa wasn't the projected style IIRC.
Yeah, Tvrdon was more projected like Kopecky, never ever like Hossa.

That case Pulkkinen is really, really weird. He did improve his skating better level than ever in his career, but the scoring has disappeared. He works hard, skates hard, tries maybe too much, and the goals wont come. Really weird.

Hopefully the lone goal today will take the gorilla off from his back.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:27 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Tvrdon needs to get out of Vancouver fast, that team stinks. He is not working with a lot out there. But even as one of his biggest fans around here, I have been pretty disappointed with his play to start the season.

Not surprised by Pulkkinen although he did get good reviews this summer, but these struggles are not a good sign. It would be nice to just get him over to the AHL now, although I understand with rules that isn't possible.

Frk has been confusing and yes disappointing. He needs to be accountable for how he plays and I wonder if he were playing against the bigger men in pros if some of the stuff he pulls will go away to a bigger degree but not all together.

Quine's mono case might be a disaster because I thought he was in line for a big year.

Along those lines questions even though they were freak accident issues are now in play with Sproul. Staying healthy is a part of developing and becoming a good player. These issues need to disappear, but his start was enough to put him in the steady, just it is a concern moving forward.

I have found both Sheahan and Ferraro to be very encouraging in their start. Sheahan has been every bit as impressive as Jurco for me when I have seen the Griffins play.

Tatar has been better than Nyquist for me but both players continue to develop well. Nyquist is a ton stronger on his skates this year. Tatar is really well rounded and dangerous on almost every shift.

A big disappointment for me are Smith and Lashoff. Smith isn't playing his physical style, he looks to be just hoping not to get hurt. A big decision on the lockout coming this week should help him realize he needs to start hammering down on his effort in Grand Rapids. With the contracts the way they are and Lashoff continuing to play average I am against him getting another contract. He just doesn't have it and has been fairly bad since his first cameo with Grand Rapids where he showed great promise.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 05:35 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultzyfeelinirie20 View Post
Ferraro will make the NHL in my opinion and rather easily. He still needs to put on some weight. But he is a money penalty killer, with speed to burn that plays aggressive in all zones. When you throw in his versatility on both the wing and at center he has NHL player written all over him. Those that logged off on Ferraro after his injuries and disapperance in the WHL would be surprised to watch him play with the Griffins. I even am starting to feel he could be a 2nd/3rd line tweener along the lines of Cleary. He gets it and has been a pros pro the last half of last year and has carried it over strong. The offense seems to be coming back and the game looks to have slowed down for him. He has fixed a lot of the stock he damaged in the WHL and I never thought he would be such an attractive bottom six option but he is and like I said I am beginning to think capping him as fourth line player like I thought at the tail end of last year is wrong as well.

Old
10-24-2012, 06:35 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post

Jurco's game is far more shifty than Hossa's. Hossa is pretty straight-ahead.

Old
10-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Jurco's game is far more shifty than Hossa's. Hossa is pretty straight-ahead.
This is based off of only seeing him last Friday night, but Jurco played a lot more of a "simpler" game than what I expected. Also seemed like a more complete player than I thought he would be. Not really saying this based on much, but just an observation I had.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Tatar has been better than Nyquist for me
You really think so?

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 09:05 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
You really think so?
Yes I have. It isn't by a ton, but I have been more impressed with Tatar over the balance of the four games. Nyquist has the best game between them, but Tatar has been more routinely dangerous for me and is doing a better job of pushing to the middle danger areas of the ice. It is slight but I give Tatar the slight nod when evaluating them thus far. Nyquist has also got caught a couple times trying to make a harder play than was really necessary. I do like both guys thus far, still want them to get inside more, good step last game in Toronto.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:24 PM
FissionFire

I think listing McCollum on the stocks is wrong. He's pretty much achieved junk bond status by now.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 11:37 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
I think listing McCollum on the stocks is wrong. He's pretty much achieved junk bond status by now.
He has looked better this year, still let in a stinker in the second game. But his movement and positioning has improved in my opinion.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:56 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Thread seems premature for the Griffins guys. As of the OP, they had played what? 3 games?

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:31 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Thread seems premature for the Griffins guys. As of the OP, they had played what? 3 games?
4 ... Four freakin' games Jaster!

Old
10-25-2012, 01:38 PM
lazerbullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Junk bond might be a lot better than some stocks. Junk = high yield = high risk. Junk bond is not necessarily a hopeless crap. Just sayin'.

lazerbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 02:31 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
4 ... Four freakin' games Jaster!
Ok, 4 Not ready to get down on a guy like Andersson yet though. Or anyone based off of 4 games. Conversely, not sure anyone is really on the rise as a prospect through 4 games. Maybe Ferraro, simply because he's getting a much bigger role (I think he is anyway).

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 03:18 PM
shultzyfeelinirie20

i cant wait to watch the Griffs play tomorrow night