World Series ratings some of the worst ever

Old
10-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
You think the Nationals are just going to trade him away to the Yankees? If you're thinking free agent, he's not free agent eligible until 2017.
OK 5 years then when he hits his prime the Yankees get him via FA. Nats should have played him this year there is no guarantee of them even having another season like this one. Small market teams should get all they can out of a player because he's gone once he hits Free agency. Tampa faces the same thing with David Price.
Without a cap the Yankees just buy players from other teams by offering contracts nobody else can match.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 07:51 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

until baseball changed the game with the new cba and the stiff luxury tax and draft penalties.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

There is nothing wrong with the sport as is.

I've already explained why ratings are so low. People think the game is unfair, it's not. Anyone who's followed the season can see a bunch of teams make the playoffs who didn't have to spend for a chance to win the championship. Teams like Oakland, St. Louis, and Baltimore.

People just think you can throw money at a team and make it work. You can't. You can't throw money at the Yankees and make them hit in the playoffs. They already tried that with A-rod. He didn't do anything.

Baseball championships simply cannot be brought, I'm sorry. Everything is fine as is. Stop trying to tinker the game because of perceived unfair play. I'm sorry that Toronto can't go to the playoffs because their manager is meh, and J.P. Richardi ruined that team with his ignorant moves.

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 07:55 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

if the jays had better management for the last 15-20 years, i bet most of the posts in this forum wouldn't exist.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

No one wants to point a finger at management or the manager

They just want to blame "the system" and "how unfair" it is to play in their division. The division is so unfair that the Orioles managed to go from last to 2nd place. The division is so unfair that the Rays frequently contend for the AL East title. Deal with it. Plus, with the decline of NYY and Boston stinking it up, Toronto will have their chance soon enough.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:58 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

nobody forced the jays to give bj ryan 8 billion dollars. or sign vernon wells for 19 years and 892 million dollars.

they had bad management for years. that doesn't make their problems the problems the rest of the league. owners cry poor, so they sell off their best players. if you're in the business to make money, you're in the wrong business.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:01 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
I agree the NBA is worse, but that's moreso due to stars always wanting to join the same team together. In NBA so many stars keep leaving their team to make these all-star teams(Cleveland, Orlando, and even Toronto suffered greatly from their main stars leaving for single teams.)

NBA is so star dependant that those teams collapse right away when they leave.

MLB though is a joke in different ways. No Cap, yet so few playoff spots, so the Yanks will make it almost every year(not necessarily win, but will consistently make it). and so many teams may get lucky one year but then wont touch the post-season for 5+ years(toronto is going on 20 years now.). It's just boring.

I'm surprised the MLB hasn't added another round of playoffs yet like other sports, it would help alot more if 4-6 more teams could make the post-season instead of being out at game 100 of 162.
I wanted to address the last point.

Baseball simply doesn't work when that many teams make the playoffs. Baseball was fine with 4 teams from each league making the playoffs. There is no need to expand the playoffs so everyone can get in. You can't play baseball like the NHL postseason. And this is what I think people have so much trouble understanding. Baseball doesn't work like the NBA or NFL. Baseball must have a specific way to play the playoffs, because of time constraints. Baseball doesn't work in cold November weather.

Old
10-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Clowe Me

There must have been a post in another forum linked to this one. The amount of noobs/trolling in the last 5 pages is astonishing.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 09:07 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

Yeah, I support the 'don't tinker' sentiment. Baseball is good the way it is. The reason the Yankees have been so successful the past 20 years has little to nothing to do with buying championships. They developed 5 key guys that were the core to their championships - Pettitte, Jeter, Rivera, Williams and Posada. Only 3 are left and maybe only 1 after the winter is over. The Giants are experiencing some of the same success of late and it is due to many similarities. Their core was developed within the organization - Cain, Lincecum, Posey, Sandoval and Wilson. How many teams can say they developed as many core players as the Yankees and Giants the last 20 years? Not many. Even the Tigers are nowhere without Verlander despite spending all the money on Fielder. They have also made some shrewd trades.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 09:15 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
There must have been a post in another forum linked to this one. The amount of noobs/trolling in the last 5 pages is astonishing.
It was originally on the BOH board.

I think part of the disconnect with younger fans is the lack of a fiery young star. It's a young star like James or Crosby or RG3 that young people can identify with and be encouraged to get involved with a sport as a spectator and/or participant. Baseball needs more high-profile youngsters in the Majors, guys like Bryce Harper or Buster Posey or Mike Trout, if they want to market themselves to the 18-25 demographic en masse. I'm a young fan, and I know quite a few of them, but we are apparently the minority. (Perhaps because we're all obsessed with sports; I work in sports, a lot of my friends are student-athletes or coworkers at my university, and we all love sports in general, including baseball. We're kind of enclosed as a group, as well.)

Of course, they're making billions upon billions from their TV deals either way, so they might not care.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 10:24 PM
BCS

Quote:
Agreed. So much uninformed drivel.

BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:01 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I just got the news push that the Giants won the Series, which is the first time I've even seen anything about a game being played today, and thought immediately of this thread

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:46 PM
Clowe Me

The game was advertised all day during the fox football games. If you didn't watch it, cool. If this is some sort of attempt to poke at baseballs popularity, the league is still making billions on the tv deals and is still much more popular than hockey.

Old
10-29-2012, 01:48 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
OK 5 years then when he hits his prime the Yankees get him via FA. Nats should have played him this year there is no guarantee of them even having another season like this one. Small market teams should get all they can out of a player because he's gone once he hits Free agency. Tampa faces the same thing with David Price.
Without a cap the Yankees just buy players from other teams by offering contracts nobody else can match.
Are you seriously calling Washington a small market? It's one of the biggest, most affluent markets in the country.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:37 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
The game was advertised all day during the fox football games. If you didn't watch it, cool. If this is some sort of attempt to poke at baseballs popularity, the league is still making billions on the tv deals and is still much more popular than hockey.
No kidding... baseball is more popular than hockey? Wow, you learn something new every day!

If you don't think baseball is in decline, you're in denial. More people are talking about the NFL on a random mid-season week than are talking about the friggin' World Series.

Old
10-29-2012, 05:17 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
There is nothing wrong with the sport as is.

I've already explained why ratings are so low. People think the game is unfair, it's not. Anyone who's followed the season can see a bunch of teams make the playoffs who didn't have to spend for a chance to win the championship. Teams like Oakland, St. Louis, and Baltimore.

People just think you can throw money at a team and make it work. You can't. You can't throw money at the Yankees and make them hit in the playoffs. They already tried that with A-rod. He didn't do anything.

Baseball championships simply cannot be brought, I'm sorry. Everything is fine as is. Stop trying to tinker the game because of perceived unfair play. I'm sorry that Toronto can't go to the playoffs because their manager is meh, and J.P. Richardi ruined that team with his ignorant moves.
I'm a Jays fan and I agree with you. I disagreed with the league "expanding" the playoffs to 5 teams. It is of my opinion that if you cannot be the best in your division after 162 games, you probably don't deserve to be in the playoffs. There are plenty of low-budget teams that have the ability to make and compete in the playoffs. If run properly (which I believe the Jays are beginning to be) the Jays can too.

The only thing I advocate for as a baseball fan, is a more balanced schedule. I would like to see teams like the Detroit Tigers, Minnesota Twins and Texas Rangers more often than two series in a season.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 05:53 AM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
No kidding... baseball is more popular than hockey? Wow, you learn something new every day!

If you don't think baseball is in decline, you're in denial. More people are talking about the NFL on a random mid-season week than are talking about the friggin' World Series.
Baseball is doing fine. It's the 2nd most popular sport other than football.

The NBA and NHL aren't even on baseball's level. Baseball by far exceeds both.

Old
10-29-2012, 06:02 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Baseball is doing fine. It's the 2nd most popular sport other than football.

The NBA and NHL aren't even on baseball's level. Baseball by far exceeds both.
Say it one more time, I think there might be one guy in North Korea who still isn't aware of this.

The fact that MLB is still bigger than the NBA and the NHL doesn't mean it is thriving. That's like saying the NHL is bigger than MLS, so it must be doing really well right now.

Old
10-29-2012, 06:04 AM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

Quote:
Say it one more time, I think there might be one guy in North Korea who still isn't aware of this.

The fact that MLB is still bigger than the NBA and the NHL doesn't mean it is thriving. That's like saying the NHL is bigger than MLS, so it must be doing really well right now.
It does mean it's thriving. They just had a bad series this year. On the whole, baseball is doing fine! Last year had some pretty good ratings, and the series went 7 games.

Old
10-29-2012, 06:32 AM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

I am a baseball homer

But this WS was awful

Old
10-29-2012, 07:32 AM
Vegeta
God Dammit Nappa

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Maybe today's horrible numbers for baseball (NHL will never get) but at the rate they are decreasing someday MLB and NHL numbers (if they can increase some) may meet. I can see it when the older generations pass away and today's generation take control (of the media, money and coverage related decisions etc.). Never say never.
Highly, HIGHLY unlikely. Baseball is forever going to be associated with Americana, and for that reason alone, hockey will NEVER compete with it.

(This next part isn't directed at you but at the trolls in general)

I swear, even though I love hockey, I think we have the most elitist ****ing fans out of all the four sports leagues. Why the hell can't many hockey fans just accept the fact that hockey isn't necessarily the best sport in the world. What you find fun, others will find boring, and vice-versa. Deal with it.

Vegeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:

Because the teams are from 2 places that no one cares outside of those areas. If this match-up was between the Yankees and the Dodgers, the ratings would be through the roof.

One bad rated series doesn't mean the game is on the decline. 1/3 of the league teams had 3 million fans this year.

Old
10-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Bruv
to here knows when

Quote:
It does mean it's thriving. They just had a bad series this year. On the whole, baseball is doing fine! Last year had some pretty good ratings, and the series went 7 games.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think last years game 6 and 7's had the highest WS ratings since 2004.

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

But MLB isn't thriving!

Old
10-29-2012, 12:20 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU