HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Baseball
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Baseball MLB, MiLB, NCAA, International

World Series ratings some of the worst ever

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-29-2012, 12:38 PM
  #151
HabsByTheBay
Registered User
 
HabsByTheBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Country: United States
Posts: 1,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Because the teams are from 2 places that no one cares outside of those areas. If this match-up was between the Yankees and the Dodgers, the ratings would be through the roof.

One bad rated series doesn't mean the game is on the decline. 1/3 of the league teams had 3 million fans this year.
Also, it was a four game sweep. Those almost always get horrible ratings - the 2004 Series was the exception.

If the Series went to 7, Sandoval had another 3 homer game, Verlander struck out 15, the Giants won Game 6 in extra innings on an inside the park Brandon Belt home run then the ratings would have been fine.

I couldn't care less what people in North Carolina think. I am shocked they would talk about the NFL when they have an NFL team and no baseball team for 300 miles.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:12 PM
  #152
likewall32
**putt meem hear**
 
likewall32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,136
vCash: 500
The ratings for this series were written before the series started. It was expected to be a short series that was incredibly one sided. The names talked about before the series were Miguel Cabrera, Prince Fielder, and Justin Verlander. No Scutaro, no Lincecum, no Cain.

The only Giants talk was how they got there on a run of impossible luck, and were in a place they didn't deserve to be. A major piece of that stems from them being in the Pacific Time Zone in a city that isn't LA.

Put those together, not much of a draw for a casual fan.

To the current argument, I don't think baseball is trending upwards, but it is certainly maintaining its popularity.

likewall32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:13 PM
  #153
G F O P
Registered User
 
G F O P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 259,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by likewall32 View Post
The ratings for this series were written before the series started. It was expected to be a short series that was incredibly one sided. The names talked about before the series were Miguel Cabrera, Prince Fielder, and Justin Verlander. No Scutaro, no Lincecum, no Cain.

The only Giants talk was how they got there on a run of impossible luck, and were in a place they didn't deserve to be. A major piece of that stems from them being in the Pacific Time Zone in a city that isn't LA.

Put those together, not much of a draw for a casual fan.

To the current argument, I don't think baseball is trending upwards, but it is certainly maintaining its popularity.
Why wouldn't you think the former? It's increasing in popularity and attendance continues to rise!

G F O P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:27 PM
  #154
likewall32
**putt meem hear**
 
likewall32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Why wouldn't you think the former? It's increasing in popularity and attendance continues to rise!
Its an ebb and flow. Popularity is subjective and to a lot of casual fans it matters only how good the local team is (take the ridiculous influx of Giants fans the last three years).

As for attendance, I know a lot of people who are just going back to games for the first time since the strike. There's also the issue of ticket prices, and with the obvious bandwagon effect, the places that tickets are cheaper will benefit more from said effect.

Can also add in social and economic factors, unspent dollars that would have otherwise gone to other pro sports, etc.

Football will be tops in this country for a long time, if not always, because of their control over the media (the regionalizing of FOX and CBS broadcasts) and the simple fact that games are played on one day (save for the singular Thursday and Monday game) every week and never else. Baseball being every day helps themselves for accessibility sake, but the average is heavily weighed down by midweek stuff.

likewall32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 05:09 PM
  #155
HabsByTheBay
Registered User
 
HabsByTheBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Country: United States
Posts: 1,213
vCash: 500
TV ratings also very strong, as FOX wins night in prime time with 15.5 million viewers. #WorldSeries
— MLB Public Relations (@MLB_PR) October 29, 2012


Last edited by G F O P: 10-29-2012 at 07:46 PM.
HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 05:25 PM
  #156
HabsByTheBay
Registered User
 
HabsByTheBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Country: United States
Posts: 1,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by likewall32 View Post
Its an ebb and flow. Popularity is subjective and to a lot of casual fans it matters only how good the local team is (take the ridiculous influx of Giants fans the last three years).

As for attendance, I know a lot of people who are just going back to games for the first time since the strike. There's also the issue of ticket prices, and with the obvious bandwagon effect, the places that tickets are cheaper will benefit more from said effect.

Can also add in social and economic factors, unspent dollars that would have otherwise gone to other pro sports, etc.

Football will be tops in this country for a long time, if not always, because of their control over the media (the regionalizing of FOX and CBS broadcasts) and the simple fact that games are played on one day (save for the singular Thursday and Monday game) every week and never else. Baseball being every day helps themselves for accessibility sake, but the average is heavily weighed down by midweek stuff.
Don't forget as well...who cares what young people like? Young people are increasingly not the main focus of advertisers. They're jobless or waiting tables, sunk in student loan debt, and living with their parents. It's their parents who actually have money, and while their favorite sport is probably the NFL, baseball runs a close second.

Baseball has been capturing that older demographic for 50 years, and increasingly that older demographic is becoming the consumer engine of the country.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 06:26 PM
  #157
brendan
rip bruv/cudi
 
brendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Country: Finland
Posts: 54,428
vCash: 500
SNF had better ratings.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...e-down/155003/


Last edited by G F O P: 10-29-2012 at 07:47 PM.
brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 08:05 AM
  #158
OrioleWay
Jailbait
 
OrioleWay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Aruba
Posts: 8,777
vCash: 500
Still better than 2005 WS though.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 12:18 PM
  #159
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 24,654
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanson View Post
Still better than 2005 WS though.
Not even close

2012:

Average:
7.6/12
(12.7M
viewers)

G1:
7.6/12
(12.2M
viewers)

G2:
7.8/12
(12.3M
viewers)

G3:
6.1/11
(10.8M
viewers)

G4:
8.9/14
(15.5M
viewers)

2005:

AVG:
11.1/19
(17.162M
viewers)

G1:
9.5/17
(15.015M
viewers)

G2:
11.1/17
(17.190M
viewers)

G3:
11.0/21
(16.652M
viewers)

G4:
13.0/21
(19.979M
viewers)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_S...vision_ratings

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 05:05 PM
  #160
TMC1982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 230
vCash: 500
Ed Sherman at The Sherman Report wonders why the World Series ratings continue to decline.

Quote:
Sweep madness: Baseball has run into an extraordinary string of bad luck. The Giants sweep was the fourth in a World Series since 2004. Only two series in the last nine have gone beyond five games and only one to the full seven.

Nothing kills ratings more than a sweep. People start to check out after 2-0. Even worse, thereís no carryover effect from one year to the next. With the exception of St. Louis-Texas in 2011, the World Series hasnít delivered much in the way of lasting memoriesĖexcept for fans of the winning team.

Football: Back in 1977, football was limited to the colleges on Saturday afternoon and the pros on Sunday afternoon and Monday night. And baseball usually scheduled on an off-day to avoid a conflict with Monday Night Football.

Now the World Series bumps up against football on virtually every night. Saturdayís Game 3 faced a stiff test in Notre Dame-Oklahoma, and Game 4 went up against Peyton Manning and Drew Brees on Sunday Night Football. Baseball definitely took a hit.

I remember when the NFL didnít schedule a Sunday night game to avoid a conflict with the World Series. Not anymore. Football rules.

Local: I wonder if baseball has become more provincial. If the home team isnít involved, perhaps we donít care anymore. I definitely didnít hear much talk about the World Series on my two local sports talk radio stations in Chicago. Can you say, Da Bears!

Star power: Or lack thereof. Stars draw viewers, and this yearís World Series didnít have them. Sure, Buster Posey and Miguel Cabrera are terrific players, but they donít move the meter like a Derek Jeter or ARod, or dare I say it, Barry Bonds. Now the Giants winning two of three series with Bonds in the lineuep? I guarantee that would have generated some ratings.

Kids out: As I wrote Saturday, lamenting how kids get shut out because of the late start of games, I wonder if weíve lost a generation of baseball fansĖat least as far as the World Series is concerned. All I can say is that when I came home Saturday night, my sports-obsessed teenage boys were flipping between ND-Oklahoma and Michigan-Nebraska games. When I asked them what was going on in Game 3, they had no idea.

They didnít grow up with the World Series. They never got to see the end of games when they were younger. As a result, the World Series isnít important to them.

MLB should reach out to my boys. They could provide some good feedback on the all-important youth demo.

And finally: At least the short series prevented a Game 7 on Nov. 1. Thereís something not right about baseball in November.
How about also, the Joe Buck-Tim "Barry Manilow Performed Here Once" McCarver factor?

TMC1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 05:17 PM
  #161
PanthersPens62
Faces of the NHL
 
PanthersPens62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Uncle Gary's House
Country: United States
Posts: 9,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC1982 View Post
Ed Sherman at The Sherman Report wonders why the World Series ratings continue to decline.



How about also, the Joe Buck-Tim "Barry Manilow Performed Here Once" McCarver factor?
Excellent piece. Early in the thread, I talked about the effect of football. His "Kids out" is spot on as well.

PanthersPens62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 06:31 PM
  #162
HabsByTheBay
Registered User
 
HabsByTheBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Country: United States
Posts: 1,213
vCash: 500
I thought that shows how lame Buck is, McCarver was clearly going for a joke (which wasn't a bad one) and it TOTALLY went over Buck's head.

That Sherman guy's first two points are alright - especially about the lack of compelling World Series, because 2011 DID get good ratings because it was one of the best World Series ever.

But star power? Miguel Cabrera, Prince Fielder, Tim Lincecum, Buster Posey? Flipping heck. Think a little bit.

And the kids thing is ridiculously lame. The World Series has been starting at 8 pm since the 70s.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2012, 07:09 PM
  #163
PanthersPens62
Faces of the NHL
 
PanthersPens62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Uncle Gary's House
Country: United States
Posts: 9,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
I thought that shows how lame Buck is, McCarver was clearly going for a joke (which wasn't a bad one) and it TOTALLY went over Buck's head.

That Sherman guy's first two points are alright - especially about the lack of compelling World Series, because 2011 DID get good ratings because it was one of the best World Series ever.

But star power? Miguel Cabrera, Prince Fielder, Tim Lincecum, Buster Posey? Flipping heck. Think a little bit.

And the kids thing is ridiculously lame. The World Series has been starting at 8 pm since the 70s.
There were still a few World Series games played during the day, even when they went to nightime games in the 70's. Also, games didn't seem to go over 3 hours back then as often as they do now. That said, I still maintain that football is the main culprit here.

PanthersPens62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 05:40 AM
  #164
HabsByTheBay
Registered User
 
HabsByTheBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Country: United States
Posts: 1,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersPens62 View Post
There were still a few World Series games played during the day, even when they went to nightime games in the 70's. Also, games didn't seem to go over 3 hours back then as often as they do now. That said, I still maintain that football is the main culprit here.
People seem to have forgot that there was an afternoon World Series game last year. Maybe that's because they didn't watch - it wasn't repeated this year because Fox got killed in the ratings.

The games last longer, yes, but nobody is arguing that their kids aren't watching until the final inning because their bedtime is in the 7th inning. People are arguing their kids don't watch at all because the World Series starts the same time it started in 1971. That's how you know it's bullcrap.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2012, 03:37 PM
  #165
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 52,215
vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
I couldn't care less what people in North Carolina think.
And I couldn't care less what you think, so I guess we're even.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 11:58 AM
  #166
CTHabsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersPens62 View Post
There were still a few World Series games played during the day, even when they went to nightime games in the 70's. Also, games didn't seem to go over 3 hours back then as often as they do now. That said, I still maintain that football is the main culprit here.
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Games of the 1976 Cincinnati Reds sweep of the Yankees lasted between 2:10-2:40. Games this year took between 3:05-3:34.

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 03:56 PM
  #167
HabsByTheBay
Registered User
 
HabsByTheBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Country: United States
Posts: 1,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHabsfan View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Games of the 1976 Cincinnati Reds sweep of the Yankees lasted between 2:10-2:40. Games this year took between 3:05-3:34.
I am all for shortening playoff games, which can drag on forever, but that's an hour. It's not that long.

If your kid is 8 and grows up on the East Coast, he's not seeing the end of the World Series game no matter what, because he's probably in bed by 9. Considering one of the big reasons games are longer now is endless pitching changes he's probably going to bed at the top of the 3rd inning in 1976 and 2012. And as we know, people who grew up in the 70s came to like baseball.

But in 1976 that 8 year old had the choice of sneaking in the radio and hoping he could make it through 9 or that's it. Now he has DVR, extended highlights on Sportscenter/MLB Network in the morning and daddy's iPad to catch the game (and heck, he's still got the radio!).

If your kid is 11/12 it's getting increasingly less of a problem. A 12 year old's got the capability to stay up for the World Series if he wants to.

Plus this Sherman guy's kids live in Chicago, meaning the World Series starts at 7 for them, so his teenage kids aren't staying up until 10:30 pm? What. Ever.

Look, all it comes down to is this: if you really like baseball, you're probably going to try to get your kids to like it too. Now the biggest baseball fan I know, a guy who has written books on the game, raised a kid who prefers hockey to baseball so it's hardly a done deal. But my parents love baseball and now I'm the guy who takes a week of holiday during the World Series every year so I can watch it live here in jolly England. I even watched the Japan Series this year. My parents took me out of school for playoff games and although I'm a West Coaster who never had to confront time issues I'm confident they would have let me stay up to watch the World Series and they certainly would have come up with a solution to let me watch the game in some fashion, like taping it and watching it the next day. The world's not going to end if Junior is a little tired the next day; if anything the reason Junior got sent to bed at 9 is because daddy wants to watch the Series with a beer and without having to answer Junior's questions.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 04:00 PM
  #168
HabsByTheBay
Registered User
 
HabsByTheBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Country: United States
Posts: 1,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
And I couldn't care less what you think, so I guess we're even.
The problem is the area I'm from has more people and is richer than North Carolina. It's also completely bonkers for baseball since one team made the playoffs and the other won the World Series. I think MLB would prefer that than people in North Carolina suddenly switching the topic from Cam Newton, cars racing in circles or college basketball.

So I don't think MLB is too concerned. There's a reason Charlotte's never come particularly close to having an MLB franchise.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 07:25 PM
  #169
ChiGuySez
Streak ends 108
 
ChiGuySez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,267
vCash: 500
Im sure a lot of fans or casual fans soured on baseball b/c of the steroid scandal. Went from being the grand old American pastime to something much less than that. Records established for over 100 years were meaningless. Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, Palmerio...the list goes on. Yeah football had that too but it didnt have as much of a direct impact on records as in baseball.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 08:48 PM
  #170
robert terwilliger
the bart, the
 
robert terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: sw florida
Country: United States
Posts: 22,943
vCash: 500
baseball has always had players using drugs.

it just got more press these days because of the helen lovejoys in the media.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 09:05 PM
  #171
ChiGuySez
Streak ends 108
 
ChiGuySez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
baseball has always had players using drugs.

it just got more press these days because of the helen lovejoys in the media.
Always? Really, How many non-bolded were on steroids?
500 club.

1. Barry Bonds 762
2. Hank Aaron 755
3. Babe Ruth 714
4. Willie Mays 660
5. Alex Rodriguez 647
6. Ken Griffey 630
7. Jim Thome 612
8. Sammy Sosa 609
9. Frank Robinson 586
10. Mark McGwire 583
11. Harmon Killebrew 573
12. Rafael Palmeiro 569
13. Reggie Jackson 563
14. Manny Ramirez 555
15. Mike Schmidt 548
16. Mickey Mantle 536
17. Jimmie Foxx 534
18. Willie McCovey 521
Frank Thomas 521
Ted Williams 521
21. Ernie Banks 512
Eddie Mathews 512
23. Mel Ott 511
24. Gary Sheffield 509*
25. Eddie Murray 504

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 09:08 PM
  #172
robert terwilliger
the bart, the
 
robert terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: sw florida
Country: United States
Posts: 22,943
vCash: 500
funny, i didn't say steroids.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 09:11 PM
  #173
ChiGuySez
Streak ends 108
 
ChiGuySez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
funny, i didn't say steroids.
I did and I know you didnt. So do you classify tobacco or beer a drug? What other performance enhancing drug would be avaliable except steroids.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 09:16 PM
  #174
robert terwilliger
the bart, the
 
robert terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: sw florida
Country: United States
Posts: 22,943
vCash: 500
how about amphetamines/greenies? i'd say those actually do something as opposed to what steroids apparently do. mays and aaron are well known for using those.

there are also players who allege steroid (horse steroids!) and hgh use as far back as the late 50's.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 09:30 PM
  #175
G F O P
Registered User
 
G F O P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 259,164
vCash: 500
A guy once pitched a no-hitter on drugs

Doc Ellis

Anyway, some guy on Reddit said that baseball was losing popularity because of all the steroid users. This isn't 2001 anymore. The steroid users get busted and suspended for 50 games. So steroids are a non-issue

G F O P is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.