HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Baseball
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

World Series ratings some of the worst ever

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-03-2012, 09:31 PM
  #176
robert terwilliger
the bart, the
 
robert terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: sw florida
Country: United States
Posts: 22,805
vCash: 500
on lsd no less.

my three times on lsd were no joke.

that might be the greatest achievement in mlb history.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 09:59 PM
  #177
ChiGuySez
Streak ends 108
 
ChiGuySez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
A guy once pitched a no-hitter on drugs

Doc Ellis

Anyway, some guy on Reddit said that baseball was losing popularity because of all the steroid users. This isn't 2001 anymore. The steroid users get busted and suspended for 50 games. So steroids are a non-issue
Suspensions began in '05. '04 WS ratings had a bump but have steadily declined since '05.

Doc Ellis. Quite a team Pittsburgh had back then. Steve Blass was one of the pitchers who later developed some mental block and couldnt throw strikes after that. Steve Blass disease.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 11:51 PM
  #178
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 50,047
vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
The problem is the area I'm from has more people and is richer than North Carolina. It's also completely bonkers for baseball since one team made the playoffs and the other won the World Series. I think MLB would prefer that than people in North Carolina suddenly switching the topic from Cam Newton, cars racing in circles or college basketball.

So I don't think MLB is too concerned. There's a reason Charlotte's never come particularly close to having an MLB franchise.
You seem to have substituted your opinion for that of MLB. I'm pretty convinced that your personal opinions about which consumers "count" are irrelevant to what MLB would prefer.

To reiterate: you might consider people in other regions irrelevant, but that's a two-way sentiment. I'm pretty sure that MLB's marketing strategists don't think that way in the first place, so you're not making much of a point by simply airing your self-importance here.


Last edited by tarheelhockey: 11-03-2012 at 11:56 PM.
tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 01:22 AM
  #179
TMC1982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 230
vCash: 500
Tale of the Tape: NBA vs. MLB (Part II)

Quote:
In the wake of yet another record-low World Series, here is a look at how Major League Baseball stacks up as a national television draw against the National Basketball Association.

While it is universally acknowledged that baseball is well behind the National Football League as a national TV draw (as is the case for all sports, and indeed all television programs), the better question is whether America’s pastime has ceded second place to the once-moribund NBA.

Over the past five years, national television ratings for the NBA have — with few exceptions — consistently finished above those of Major League Baseball in the regular season and the playoffs.

TMC1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 02:40 AM
  #180
kurt
the last emperor
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
A guy once pitched a no-hitter on drugs

Doc Ellis


Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Anyway, some guy on Reddit said that baseball was losing popularity because of all the steroid users. This isn't 2001 anymore. The steroid users get busted and suspended for 50 games. So steroids are a non-issue
A non-issue? Seriously? Well, let's expand the issue beyond steroids specifically to all of PEDs, but suggesting it's a non-issue is pretty naive. It's as big an issue as ever, if not even bigger.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 02:47 AM
  #181
SniperHF
Mod Supervisor
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 24,141
vCash: 500
From the same article though:

Quote:
Nearly all of the data points to the NBA having a strong lead over Major League Baseball when it comes to national television ratings (this analysis is not focused on attendance, local television ratings, or overall revenue — all areas in which MLB leads).
I think the last two are bigger issues for which place on the totem pole of sports one is. Or at least they are too significant to place aside.

NBA is definitely ahead of the MLB in terms of pop culture relevance. This is why I think it gets more eyeballs during the finals and national TV games.

Local TV ratings especially are always ignored in these types of analyses. This is also one of the reasons I find it laughable when people call the NHL a niche sport. It may still be dwarfed by NBA/MLB/NFL but the local TV ratings alone blow away real niche sports that don't even have local TV coverage most of the time.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 06:35 AM
  #182
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain
 
Blades of Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 18,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
The problem is the area I'm from has more people and is richer than North Carolina. It's also completely bonkers for baseball since one team made the playoffs and the other won the World Series. I think MLB would prefer that than people in North Carolina suddenly switching the topic from Cam Newton, cars racing in circles or college basketball.

So I don't think MLB is too concerned. There's a reason Charlotte's never come particularly close to having an MLB franchise.
MLB doesn't care about anyone from a non-baseball market. Baseball's media policy is so outdated and arcane that I believe it may have actually been created by the Catholic Church during the Middle Ages. Their blackout policy is borderline illegal. Hawaii and Las Vegas fall under the blackout restrictions of SIX different teams. Somehow, MLB has deemed them to be in the "home region" of the Giants, A's, Mariners, Dodgers, Angels, AND Diamondbacks. They have screwed with their own fans so much that they are about to pay the price for it. They were a sitting duck for an anti-trust lawsuit, and they got one courtesy of their own fans.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 06:43 AM
  #183
ChiGuySez
Streak ends 108
 
ChiGuySez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC1982 View Post
Interesting they showed the graphs starting point as 2002 which was MJs final year before he retired.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 01:32 PM
  #184
HabsByTheBay
Registered User
 
HabsByTheBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Country: United States
Posts: 1,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
You seem to have substituted your opinion for that of MLB. I'm pretty convinced that your personal opinions about which consumers "count" are irrelevant to what MLB would prefer.

To reiterate: you might consider people in other regions irrelevant, but that's a two-way sentiment. I'm pretty sure that MLB's marketing strategists don't think that way in the first place, so you're not making much of a point by simply airing your self-importance here.
I'm pretty sure MLB doesn't think anecdotal evidence about how MLB is in permanent decline because people in an area that has never shown interest in pro baseball are more interested in the NFL is terribly meaningful.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 01:48 PM
  #185
HabsByTheBay
Registered User
 
HabsByTheBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Country: United States
Posts: 1,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
MLB doesn't care about anyone from a non-baseball market. Baseball's media policy is so outdated and arcane that I believe it may have actually been created by the Catholic Church during the Middle Ages. Their blackout policy is borderline illegal. Hawaii and Las Vegas fall under the blackout restrictions of SIX different teams. Somehow, MLB has deemed them to be in the "home region" of the Giants, A's, Mariners, Dodgers, Angels, AND Diamondbacks. They have screwed with their own fans so much that they are about to pay the price for it. They were a sitting duck for an anti-trust lawsuit, and they got one courtesy of their own fans.
I do agree with this, although I don't think the lawsuit is going to do all that it intends (which is to basically institute a la carte pricing for games). The Sports Broadcasting Act and the antitrust exemption are going to make it difficult for the plaintiffs to win, though I certainly hope the blackout policy makes sense.

I was in Vegas not that long ago and from what I saw you could get the LA teams and I think you can get the Padres as well. You sure as hell can't get the Bay Area teams. I'm ok with blacking out games that are available on cable, because cable pays a lot of money for those rights and I don't think fans really want the alternative, which is going to cost them more money than now. But they need to actually be available for viewers.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 03:45 PM
  #186
awfulwaffle
Registered User
 
awfulwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 8,923
vCash: 500
I'm a fan of my baseball team, and don't really care too much beyond that. That's why I didn't watch.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 05:06 PM
  #187
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Clowe Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 34,118
vCash: 50
There is now way in hell I could throw strike on lsd, let alone a no-hitter.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:04 AM
  #188
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 50,047
vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
I'm pretty sure MLB doesn't think anecdotal evidence about how MLB is in permanent decline because people in an area that has never shown interest in pro baseball are more interested in the NFL is terribly meaningful.
They don't need anecdotal evidence. The national ratings are proof enough.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:38 AM
  #189
HabsByTheBay
Registered User
 
HabsByTheBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Country: United States
Posts: 1,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
They don't need anecdotal evidence. The national ratings are proof enough.
Nah, I think the year on year revenue growth to $7+ billion would be proof enough.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 02:14 PM
  #190
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Clowe Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 34,118
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
Nah, I think the year on year revenue growth to $7+ billion would be proof enough.
You're wasting your breath. That guys sole contribution to this thread was a troll job.

The fact that 1/3 of the league drew over 3-million fans is irrelevant, 1 4-game series between two teams with no history got sub par ratings!!! I'm sure a series between the Hurricanes and the Oilers would get much higher ratings in the US....

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 07:35 PM
  #191
TMC1982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 230
vCash: 500
MLB is trying to spin the World Series ratings.

TMC1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 01:46 AM
  #192
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 50,047
vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
Nah, I think the year on year revenue growth to $7+ billion would be proof enough.
I do believe you're missing the point of a thread about national ratings.

You keep talking about how "regions that aren't interested in baseball" (which, BTW, is something you seem to have pulled out of thin air) don't matter to MLB's bottom line. As if MLB consciously chooses to avoid marketing itself in select areas, because... well, I can't quite figure out the "because" part of this theory. But that seems to be what you're saying.

I invite you to consider what exactly it means when a league's NATIONAL ratings are in stark decline. The league is bleeding fans outside of its major markets and the global impact is quite obvious. You can whitewash it if you like, but if there's anything NHL fans should have figured out over the past decade, it's that losing your foothold on national television and becoming a "local team" league with only a handful of high-profile teams is not a path to long-term success.

Basically, your willingness to at least acknowledge that MLB is losing ground is a kind of litmus test for your grip on the reality of the situation.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 03:00 AM
  #193
TMC1982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I do believe you're missing the point of a thread about national ratings.

You keep talking about how "regions that aren't interested in baseball" (which, BTW, is something you seem to have pulled out of thin air) don't matter to MLB's bottom line. As if MLB consciously chooses to avoid marketing itself in select areas, because... well, I can't quite figure out the "because" part of this theory. But that seems to be what you're saying.

I invite you to consider what exactly it means when a league's NATIONAL ratings are in stark decline. The league is bleeding fans outside of its major markets and the global impact is quite obvious. You can whitewash it if you like, but if there's anything NHL fans should have figured out over the past decade, it's that losing your foothold on national television and becoming a "local team" league with only a handful of high-profile teams is not a path to long-term success.

Basically, your willingness to at least acknowledge that MLB is losing ground is a kind of litmus test for your grip on the reality of the situation.
Chuck Ross at TV Week explains why baseball remains the greatest game despite its ratings.

TMC1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 05:40 AM
  #194
G F O P
Moderator
 
G F O P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 256,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I do believe you're missing the point of a thread about national ratings.

You keep talking about how "regions that aren't interested in baseball" (which, BTW, is something you seem to have pulled out of thin air) don't matter to MLB's bottom line. As if MLB consciously chooses to avoid marketing itself in select areas, because... well, I can't quite figure out the "because" part of this theory. But that seems to be what you're saying.

I invite you to consider what exactly it means when a league's NATIONAL ratings are in stark decline. The league is bleeding fans outside of its major markets and the global impact is quite obvious. You can whitewash it if you like, but if there's anything NHL fans should have figured out over the past decade, it's that losing your foothold on national television and becoming a "local team" league with only a handful of high-profile teams is not a path to long-term success.

Basically, your willingness to at least acknowledge that MLB is losing ground is a kind of litmus test for your grip on the reality of the situation.
They were only in national decline because the Tigers got swept. When the series goes 7 games, the ratings fare well.

G F O P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:54 AM
  #195
BPR*
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 26,404
vCash: 500
I made a grilled chicken sandwich once on LSD without burning my apartment down and was convinced it was the greatest accomplishment ever. Guess it was actually second behind Doc.

BPR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:22 AM
  #196
HabsByTheBay
Registered User
 
HabsByTheBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Country: United States
Posts: 1,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I do believe you're missing the point of a thread about national ratings.

You keep talking about how "regions that aren't interested in baseball" (which, BTW, is something you seem to have pulled out of thin air) don't matter to MLB's bottom line. As if MLB consciously chooses to avoid marketing itself in select areas, because... well, I can't quite figure out the "because" part of this theory. But that seems to be what you're saying.

I invite you to consider what exactly it means when a league's NATIONAL ratings are in stark decline. The league is bleeding fans outside of its major markets and the global impact is quite obvious. You can whitewash it if you like, but if there's anything NHL fans should have figured out over the past decade, it's that losing your foothold on national television and becoming a "local team" league with only a handful of high-profile teams is not a path to long-term success.

Basically, your willingness to at least acknowledge that MLB is losing ground is a kind of litmus test for your grip on the reality of the situation.
Strong revenue growth to 7+ billion, which is 60% more than the NBA.

Growing attendance in the midst of a very sluggish economy.

Strong local TV ratings (Fox reported their affiliates were up 20% this year).

In your eyes, these trends are cancelled out - nay, surpassed - by the ratings for four World Series games.

That, my friends, is the Chewbacca Defense of this thread.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:36 AM
  #197
robert terwilliger
the bart, the
 
robert terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: sw florida
Country: United States
Posts: 22,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Charles View Post
I made a grilled chicken sandwich once on LSD without burning my apartment down and was convinced it was the greatest accomplishment ever. Guess it was actually second behind Doc.
i changed cd's in a discman and i figured that i had discovered the higgs boson.




now we're into semantics about whether or not ratings being down is more important than billions of dollars in growth? are ratings counted by how many people watch games on mlb.tv? are ratings counted by how many people listen to games on the radio? i think i watched all of 40 games on television this season, while watching or listening to 10 times that on mlb.tv or on gameday.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:15 PM
  #198
Vamos Rafa
Registered User
 
Vamos Rafa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Armenia, California
Country: Spain
Posts: 14,581
vCash: 500
What is considered a "good" TV rating for the NHL? The NHL would kill for the ratings the World Series got.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 07:36 AM
  #199
G F O P
Moderator
 
G F O P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 256,048
vCash: 500

G F O P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:19 AM
  #200
Big Poppa Puck
U JUST MADE THE LIST
 
Big Poppa Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: D-Boss' Dungeon
Country: United States
Posts: 17,681
vCash: 500
So aside from the 03 Marlins everyone else has been in the top half of the league. Not exactly helping your argument.


Also I don't follow European Soccer much, if at all, but I'm pretty sure there's no Cap either and Man U and Chelsea are basically considered the Yankees and Red Sox of soccer.

Big Poppa Puck is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.