HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Stephane Richer

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2005, 10:01 AM
wedge

vCash: 500
Stephane Richer

I saw the guy playing against Trois-Rivieres yesterday, and he really sucks.

I don't remember how he played when he was with Montreal. I heard he didn't give his 100%.

Yesterday, most of the time, he was standing at the red line, waiting for a pass. Often skating in circles, nowhere, just waiting for the puck.

Of course in the offensive zone he could do something, but I don't see him dominate this league the way he played.

But my question is, does he play like that because he thinks he's too good for the league, or has he always played like that, even with Montreal?

Old
02-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Form and Substance

Many here list him as one of the most entertaining Ch players of the last 10-15 years, I thought that he was rather inconsistent and a big time floater.

Old
02-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't think there's much point in comparing somebody's play in a rec league or an old-timers league or anything like that to how he might have played in the NHL. Richer was a complicated guy, I guess. So he wasn't always focusing on the game at hand, let's say. But when he was, he definitely did it all, he could go end to end or throw his weight around, he would even drop the gloves once in a while to good effect. But because he could do all that, it's pretty natural that a coach would come to demand that he do it all the time, and I don't think he was much for listening to such demands.

Anyway, if I could have prime time Richer back right now, I'd take him on our 1st line ahead of Kovalev or any other such option, no hesitation. FWIW.

Old
02-04-2005, 12:11 PM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Blind Gardien writes a good assessment. Stephane had all the tools when it came to the physical parts of the game. It was the mental side that let him down. It was all or nothing with Stephane, as evident by his two 50 goal seasons in Montreal separated by a 20 some goal campaign. If Richer had the mental part to go with his physical attributes and ability he'd have been a sure fire HoFer.

Old
02-04-2005, 12:16 PM
mclusky*

Richer had some great moments and wanting some kind of star to score goals for the Habs in the late 80's, well, he was the only bright spot for a few seasons and the only Hab I've seen score 50 goals, he took a lot of flack, but hey, he was a French 50 goal scorer for the Habs, what would you expect and because of this his time in Montreal will always seem tainted.

Old
02-04-2005, 12:18 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNY
Blind Gardien writes a good assessment. Stephane had all the tools when it came to the physical parts of the game. It was the mental side that let him down. It was all or nothing with Stephane, as evident by his two 50 goal seasons in Montreal separated by a 20 some goal campaign. If Richer had the mental part to go with his physical attributes and ability he'd have been a sure fire HoFer.
I think that because most of us would sacrifice a body part to live the NHL life, we always resent a player who doesn't maximize his potential. I don't think Richer ever wanted to be a superstar for reasons that, like already said, get complicated. Doesn't make him a bad guy, a bad player, just a guy who was happy to play in the NHL,and make a good living. I don't think he was interested in all that came with it.Being a Quebec born superstar and wearing the CH is a heavy load and I don't think he was interested in all that came with it. Still, one of the few since Lafleur that could lift us out of our seats.

Old
02-04-2005, 12:28 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
He's one of the reason why i became a complete habs fan very young. Going to an exhibition game at Le Forum and hearing "Le but, ... STÉPHANEEEEE RIICCHEEERRR".

That night, he scores 4...

Old
02-04-2005, 12:55 PM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
I think that because most of us would sacrifice a body part to live the NHL life, we always resent a player who doesn't maximize his potential. I don't think Richer ever wanted to be a superstar for reasons that, like already said, get complicated. Doesn't make him a bad guy, a bad player, just a guy who was happy to play in the NHL,and make a good living. I don't think he was interested in all that came with it.Being a Quebec born superstar and wearing the CH is a heavy load and I don't think he was interested in all that came with it. Still, one of the few since Lafleur that could lift us out of our seats.
I don't disagree McPhee. I never expected him to be our Gretz etc. Stephane didn't have to score every night. All he had to do was show up and work hard each game. I understand players are as human as the next. They have "off days", and they get sick. They might have a nagging injury slowing them down. Still, had Richer done the little things when the puck was't going in, he'd have garnered a lot more of my respect.

Old
02-04-2005, 01:42 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderama
I saw the guy playing against Trois-Rivieres yesterday, and he really sucks.

I don't remember how he played when he was with Montreal. I heard he didn't give his 100%.

Yesterday, most of the time, he was standing at the red line, waiting for a pass. Often skating in circles, nowhere, just waiting for the puck.

Of course in the offensive zone he could do something, but I don't see him dominate this league the way he played.

But my question is, does he play like that because he thinks he's too good for the league, or has he always played like that, even with Montreal?
He helped substantially with a cup win in '86 and that's all I need to remember, in my book.

Old
02-04-2005, 01:56 PM
Dr. Charles

Even if he had a lot of zits, he was a hero for young Dr. Charles

Elementary School Picture, 1989. Dr. Charles had his Stephane Richer Hockey Jersey on.

Closed Thread