HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nyi/ana

Old
10-26-2012, 01:05 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
No thanks. Etem and DSP are awesome, but Strome is projected to be the future #2 center of the Islanders, and Martin is up there in the untouchable players (yes, I'm serious with that).
I remember making a proposal for Martin a year or two ago and got the same response. He's definitely a guy you don't want to trade. What he brings is something more rare than what you get from a guy like DSP.

10-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
DSP will be better than Martin, and probably starting in the next year or two. You're actually upgrading the bottom 6 with this move despite the love for Martin....
Isles need to start moving forward, not dialing back another 3-4 years. I don't see the Isles moving youngsters unless they're getting a youngish, established player under contract in return.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Isles need to start moving forward, not dialing back another 3-4 years. I don't see the Isles moving youngsters unless they're getting a youngish, established player under contract in return.
How does acquireing Emerson Etem and DSP set the Islanders back "3-4 years"? Smith-Pelly played 49 games in the NHL last year and all but has a spot locked up on Anahiem's bottom 6 at 20 years old. Emerson Etem is playing what will probably be his only season in the AHL before he's ready for NHL action. Giving up Strome and Martin in this scenario sets the Isles back? I don't see it. If anything it springs them forward having two young players that are ready to contribute on an NHL roster as soon as now. By the time they move to Brooklyn they'd be a force to be reckoned with.

Be nice to get outsiders opinion on this as it's hard to look at things objectively when you have top prospects involved and apparently the most popular 4th liner in history in Matt Martin...

Reign Nateo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:01 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
How does acquireing Emerson Etem and DSP set the Islanders back "3-4 years"? Smith-Pelly played 49 games in the NHL last year and all but has a spot locked up on Anahiem's bottom 6 at 20 years old. Emerson Etem is playing what will probably be his only season in the AHL before he's ready for NHL action. Giving up Strome and Martin in this scenario sets the Isles back? I don't see it. If anything it springs them forward having two young players that are ready to contribute on an NHL roster as soon as now. By the time they move to Brooklyn they'd be a force to be reckoned with.

Be nice to get outsiders opinion on this as it's hard to look at things objectively when you have top prospects involved and apparently the most popular 4th liner in history in Matt Martin...

Strome was expected to fight for a spot on the isles roster, in this yr's training camp. If the lockout ends this season, he is one of the junior players that will be called up for shortened training camp.

It's a good bet Strome will either be on the isles 2012-2013 roster or their 2013-2014 roster.
and Martin's already playing and contributing on the 3rd line.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
How does acquireing Emerson Etem and DSP set the Islanders back "3-4 years"?
You said that he'd "be better" in the next year or two. You're moving backwards. I think the Isles want to move forward at this point, not back.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Oh, come on. You continue to ignore the fact that we actually don't have centers to give, and yet you complain about us overrating Martin?

Again, we don't have centers to give. You're barking up the wrong tree.

To fill a need at wing, I'd rather take a run at Perry or Horton come 2013. That's the kind of player we need, anyway. Not Etem.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 04:54 PM
mytor4*

I can't see the Ducks downgrading.Makes no sense for the Ducks.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Trouble reading?

"Getzlaf no longer looks like a top flight centre..."

And if both Isles and Ducks fans won't do it, it must be fair...
You seem to be basing that statement on one bad season.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
This guy scored 11 goals and 57 points last year. Playing with Corey Perry and all the PP time in the world. Is me saying "Getzlaf no longer looks like a top flight centre" really that much of a stretch? He very well could be again, but at this point there are some question marks, not sure why that's such a polarizing statement...
In a season that was pretty awful all-around for Anaheim. The entire team underachieved. Yes, saying he no longer looks like a top flight center after one season is a stretch, especially after four straight seasons where he did look like a top flight center. Now, if he goes into next season and looks the same, then you might be on to something.

Old
10-26-2012, 05:28 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Anyway, as an Anaheim fan I'd love to get Strome, but that would be the player I want. Sending DSP and Etem one way to bring Strome back isn't going to work for Anaheim.

Old
10-26-2012, 05:59 PM
SupermanPahlsson
@DucksProspects

As a Ducks fan, and Strome fan, I love the idea, especially since we're not parting with Bobby Ryan to do so. But I'm the same guy who said trade Palmieri, so I view prospects differently than my counterparts.

I don't see Holland as a potential long-term fit, and Getzlaf-Strome-Rakell would be a considerable upgrade to our core right now. The Ducks lose depth on the wing, as Exit noted, since LW is a weak organizational position. Behind DSP/Etem are Friberg, McMillan and Kerdiles, which doesn't immediately help the Ducks like DSP/Etem do. But even so, you're getting a terrific center prospect who you don't have to sell the farm for.

Nice even proposal.

SupermanPahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

In as much as any player is 'untouchable', the three players Garth Snow will not be moving are Tavares, Hamonic and Martin.

For their respective roles on this team and in light of what will hopefully be a rosier future, their intangibles and roles in the locker room are too great for this team to part with them.

By the way, why in all of God's great green nature would Anaheim want to trade its top offensive prospect who just happens to be a California boy???

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
In as much as any player is 'untouchable', the three players Garth Snow will not be moving are Tavares, Hamonic and Martin.

For their respective roles on this team and in light of what will hopefully be a rosier future, their intangibles and roles in the locker room are too great for this team to part with them.

By the way, why in all of God's great green nature would Anaheim want to trade its top offensive prospect who just happens to be a California boy???
Getzlaf UFA
Koivu UFA
Bonino 20 NHL points
Holland 1 NHL point

I'm not saying gtting another prospect will fix this but center depth is needed.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Jesus Teemu

Interesting proposal. I don't think the Ducks would give up both DSP and Etem. But still, it's gonna be interesting to see how Murray fixes what I believe is a pretty bad situation at centre. Koivu hasn't been a 2nd liner since 09-10, and Holland is still unproven at the NHL level. That is what I'm most concerned about during the next few seasons.

Jesus Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:05 PM
ISLESnPANTHERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
I can't see the Ducks downgrading.Makes no sense for the Ducks.
How exactly are the ducks downgrading?

The way I look at it value wise is Martin and DSP are a wash. Martin is more valuable to the isles than he will be any other team.

I also fail to see how Etem is better than Strome. IMO Strome is a much better prospect and I believe most would agree.

ISLESnPANTHERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanPahlsson View Post
As a Ducks fan, and Strome fan, I love the idea, especially since we're not parting with Bobby Ryan to do so. But I'm the same guy who said trade Palmieri, so I view prospects differently than my counterparts.
How so?

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:51 PM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
Getzlaf UFA
Koivu UFA
Bonino 20 NHL points
Holland 1 NHL point

I'm not saying gtting another prospect will fix this but center depth is needed.
I agree with this. Even if we re-sign Getzlaf it's still thin. Murray is either going to have to bank on prospects like Holland and Rakell or he's going to have to do it by trade. This is the time to give Holland his chance. If he runs with it, then great, we found our 2C. If he fails, then it's time for Murray to start trying to get creative in the trade market. Naturally, I'm a little worried. Murray does not have the greatest trade history. I don't want a repeat of the Beauchamin episode ever again...

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:14 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Quote:
This guy scored 11 goals and 57 points last year. Playing with Corey Perry and all the PP time in the world. Is me saying "Getzlaf no longer looks like a top flight centre" really that much of a stretch? He very well could be again, but at this point there are some question marks, not sure why that's such a polarizing statement...
Yes, it's a stretch. Like said, almost the whole team was bad most of the season and Perry wasn't that great either (atleast compared to previous season).

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:45 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Ok, still wondering if your management would actually entertain the thought of moving a top offensive prospect who is a California boy to shore up the center position.

I'd have to think he'd be just about 'the most untouchable' prospect entity based almost solely on the marketing aspect, if nothing else.

I can seriously imagine how important a Long Island kid being the Islanders' biggest offensive prospect would be for them and their marketing. Big time...

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 07:17 AM
Exit Dose

Realistically, most prospects aren't up for trade unless it's someone that they can easily spare, I don't see us in that category, or it's an emergency, which I don't see happening until we play at least half of a season. I suspect that the local boy angle means that the line for moving him is a little further along than another prospect of his talents would be, but I'm sure that there is a tipping point where he could be moved.

I don't think this scenario would qualify for moving him, since the biggest part coming back is another prospect, but hey, it's HF.

Old
10-27-2012, 07:19 PM
StrongIslanders90

a big HELL NO from Isles

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 02:04 AM
ichabod13

Quote:
Smith-Pelly is of a higher pedigree than Martin and matched his best season points-wise in 49 games
13 points in 49 games....
with rounded off math..
1 goal every 7 games.
1 assist every 8 games.
and long island should give up a fan favourite, who just signed an extention, who led the league in hits for that guy?
id rather keep matt martin just for his physical play.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 02:08 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
13 points in 49 games....
with rounded off math..
1 goal every 7 games.
1 assist every 8 games.
and long island should give up a fan favourite, who just signed an extention, who led the league in hits for that guy?
id rather keep matt martin just for his physical play.
I don't care about the trade offer, because it doesn't make much sense for either team, but your take on Smith-Pelly is laughable.

Old
10-28-2012, 02:31 AM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
but your take on Smith-Pelly is laughable.
pelly might turn out to be one of the greatest hockey players of all time. you cant say for sure that he will and i cant say for sure that he wont. but i wouldnt give up the guy that led the league in hits last year, and is pretty much the only physical precense on the team, who just re-signed, and is a fan, locker room and management favourite.

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 03:22 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
pelly might turn out to be one of the greatest hockey players of all time. you cant say for sure that he will and i cant say for sure that he wont. but i wouldnt give up the guy that led the league in hits last year, and is pretty much the only physical precense on the team, who just re-signed, and is a fan, locker room and management favourite.
He's the same age as Niederreiter. Trying to extrapolate his offensive potential from a rookie season at 19 would be just as silly as using Nino's output last season to demonstrate what he's worth.

Also, DSP is a very physical player. He models his game after Dustin Brown.