HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Evan Barratt - USNTDP, USHL (2017 Draft)

Old
10-05-2016, 09:08 AM
Tony Piscotta
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
C Evan Barratt - USNTDP, USHL (2017 Draft)

I didn't see a page for him so I started one. He is local to me (from Morrisville, PA) and played for nearby Mercer Chiefs and the Hun School before joining Team Comcast and then the National Team Development Program.

From what I've read in most publications this isn't believed to be a strong USA U18 team this year - and Barratt was scoreless in the All-American Prospects Game. But he has scored at a point-per-game pace early in the year for the USA NTDP team and I was wondering if there was more to know about him from anyone who has seen him play thus far this year.

He is committed to Penn State and the Flint Firebirds hold his OHL rights.

03-13-2017, 06:07 PM
TT1

vCash: 934
One of the biggest sleepers in this years draft, hes criminally underrated. Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being the best USHL forward from this years draft.

TT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 06:23 PM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

I read a McKeen's scouting report on him and liked what they had to say. Seems like the type of player that ends up in the NHL. Not sure why no one has him going in the 1st round. I think he probably should...

mazmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2017, 06:26 PM
TT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazmin View Post
I read a McKeen's scouting report on him and liked what they had to say. Seems like the type of player that ends up in the NHL. Not sure why no one has him going in the 1st round. I think he probably should...
He was the most impressive player from my viewings, don't really understand how he wouldn't be an early 2nd/1st round prospect. Honestly i wouldn't hesitate to use a 1st on him, he gave me Larkin vibes (in terms of dominance). Always made something happen when he was on the ice.

Old
03-13-2017, 07:04 PM
Zaddy Zads

From the little I've seen of him I've been very impressed. I, too, am surprised he isn't garnering more talk. Looks like a much more creative player than guys like Reedy and Norris who are being ranked much higher. Just seems to make stuff happen almost every shift, makes lots of nifty little plays to set up his teammates. I think he's probably a bit of a project but lots of upside with this kid. Developing 3-4 years in college will do him good. Definitely looks to have the offensive instincts and hockey IQ to be a producing top6 forward in the NHL in the future.

Zaddy Zads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 07:01 AM
ManUtdTobbe

He was very good at the five nations in February, played on a line with Mismash and Reedy unless my memory is tricking me... I though Reedy was the one who drove that line but they were the best line in the tournament imo and Barratt was also impressive.

ManUtdTobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2017, 08:13 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

I have seen most of the NTDP's home games (have season tickets). Honestly, Barratt has not stood out to me that much on what has been a comparatively weak U18 squad. He has measurables that NHL teams look for, but it would be a real reach if someone took him in the 1st round.

I do not see any first round talent on this team, unless late birthdays Brady Tkachuk and Quinn Hughes develop more before the 2018 draft. Hughes can really skate, but his size will hurt him come draft time.

Whalers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2017, 04:57 PM
TT1

Played great in his first u18 game.

Old
04-13-2017, 05:01 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Yes he did..hopefully more get to see him in the spotlight

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 05:00 PM
HockeyGuy1975

For the past two seasons I have been waiting to see if Barratt would get national recognition. Here is what I wrote on another thread in September 2016.

Quote:
I think I am the only person on this site that has pumped up Barratt, but I guess it is because I am from the Mid-Atlantic region... similar to Gaudreau. Anyway, EB is a high IQ player with excellent hands and vision, which I think are the most important attributes of prospects nowadays since every player can skate and shoot at high levels. He doesn´t get as much attention because he doesn´t have any overwhelming talents compared to others, but he is the-right-place-at-the-right-time type of player. He can also pull a high skill deke out of nowhere or hit a guy wide open when you never expected a play to develop. He is good at deception with the puck on his stick. I also think he is behind the others physically and still needs to get his coordination in sync.
I am shocked by how strong he has gotten. IMO he has the highest IQ on the NTDP Under 18 team. During the NTDP tryouts a few years ago I predicted he would surprise people and had a chance to be the best player on the team. It still seems like he flies under the radar. He doesn't have the alarming talent of Eichel/Matthews/Keller but his IQ is on par.

On another thread, someone compared him to Larkin. He definitely does not play like Larkin -- nowhere near as fast or reliant on his speed. He reminds me more of Paul Stastny or a smaller, less imposing Kopitar.

HockeyGuy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 05:07 PM
Mifroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1975 View Post
For the past two seasons I have been waiting to see if Barratt would get national recognition. Here is what I wrote on another thread in September 2016.

I am shocked by how strong he has gotten. IMO he has the highest IQ on the NTDP Under 18 team. During the NTDP tryouts a few years ago I predicted he would surprise people and had a chance to be the best player on the team. It still seems like he flies under the radar. He doesn't have the alarming talent of Eichel/Matthews/Keller but his IQ is on par.

On another thread, someone compared him to Larkin. He definitely does not play like Larkin -- nowhere near as fast or reliant on his speed. He reminds me more of Paul Stastny or a smaller, less imposing Kopitar.
Evan Barratt has the higuest IQ of all NTDP U18 player, especially the 2017 draft eligible players. I'd agree he is somewhat underrated, and I don't really understand why he's not considered with the Mismash and Norris of the team as far as draft ranking goes.

I'd say hockey sense is the most important trait and this guy has it. I'd like to see him improve his acceleration a little bit, but he's got most of the necessary tools to make a living in the NHL. He's very physical too when he wants to be. He's a complete player.

I'd have late 1st early 2nd but I know I'm close to alone on that boat.

Mifroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 05:18 PM
HockeyGuy1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifroid View Post
Evan Barratt has the higuest IQ of all NTDP U18 player, especially the 2017 draft eligible players. I'd agree he is somewhat underrated, and I don't really understand why he's not considered with the Mismash and Norris of the team as far as draft ranking goes.

I'd say hockey sense is the most important trait and this guy has it. I'd like to see him improve his acceleration a little bit, but he's got most of the necessary tools to make a living in the NHL. He's very physical too when he wants to be. He's a complete player.

I'd have late 1st early 2nd but I know I'm close to alone on that boat.
Interesting to read. I hadn't logged into this forum for months so I'm glad to see people are starting to recognize Barratt. At the start of the season the only mentions of him were from NTDP tryouts.

I thought Button was going to notice but it didn't happen.

HockeyGuy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2017, 07:39 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Honestly, I was the one talking about this kid well before anyone else that I can recall in a number of threads....and I am the one that said he he could be the next Dylan Larkin..I said that for a number of reasons some of which are similar traits to the way that they both were very competent and smart players at the USNDP, but also they both came out of left field as kids that weren't really talked about but had the pleasure of watching prior to the United States development team as both could have that impact in the first round..which Larkin did and I still think Evan Barratt will be. Trust me there are a few of us that have been talking about this kid we might've been doing it in separate threads, but it seems the three of us are the ones that have been speaking very highly of him because we all notice the same things: very high IQ, skill, responsibility (200 foot game) those are the traits that get a player drafted fairly highly..

Why he isn't being talked about more is beyond me but honestly I would be absolutely shocked if he is not taken inside the top 25 reminds me a lot of Colin White pound for pound.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote