HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL cancels all games in November.

Old
10-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
NHL cancels all games in November.

Source

Quote:
NEW YORK – The National Hockey League announced today the cancellation of the 2012-13 regular-season schedule through November 30 because of the absence of a Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NHL Players' Association and the NHL.

A total of 326 regular-season games – 26.5 percent of the season -- were scheduled for Oct. 11 through Nov. 30.

MOD:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=644322
Quote:
Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly statement regarding cancellation of 2012-13 schedule through Nov. 30
Friday, 10.26.2012 / 1:55 PM / News
NHL.com

NEW YORK – NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly today issued the following statement regarding cancellation of the 2012-13 NHL regular-season schedule through Nov. 30:

"The National Hockey League deeply regrets having to take this action. By presenting a proposal to the NHLPA that contemplated a fair division of revenues and was responsive to Player concerns regarding the value of their contracts, we had hoped to be able to forge a long-term Collective Bargaining Agreement that would have preserved an 82-game Regular Season for our fans. Unfortunately, that did not occur.

"We acknowledge and accept that there is joint responsibility in collective bargaining and, though we are profoundly disappointed that a new agreement has not been attained to this point, we remain committed to achieving an agreement that is fair for the Players and the Clubs -- one that will be good for the game and our fans."

Last edited by Fugu: 10-26-2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: added the official statement
Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:01 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Just cancel them all. Do not care any more.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:02 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
Then why do you come to the business of hockey board and post on stories about it? Never understood that

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:10 PM
ShootIt

vCash: 500
Guess this means there will be no meetings until the very end of November to try to "save" the games in December.

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Richard

Next three or four weeks will determine the course of the NHL.

If the PA's and Fehr are not willing to play ball it will be time to retreat to their bombproof shelters and dig in for the long haul.

It would take two or three seasons to break the owners. It's simply so silly, you could have gotten a much better deal, swallow your pride and play in the owners system and smack advantages out of the park.... lower UFA, better terms for second contracts as a result... yadda yadda.

Instead, you go nuclear.

Admittedly the owners created this tension but a wise man negotiates around obstacles and pride. Fehr is either going for the entire system or its gonna collapse in burning flames around him.

If we get to December and there is no deal, you are likely looking at 25% + contract rollbacks and a salary cap in the high 40's.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

NHL season, I hardly knew ya

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:15 PM
BLONG7

There will be about 450 guys not happy about this...and 30 owners...it's a game of chicken and Fehr is getting himself fired...

The high end players are fine, probably for the rest of their expensive lives, but the rest are gonna get cranky, real quick...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:16 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Sigh.

Most pathetic run business of all time.

Can't even negotiate a time to negotiate.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

How can you even defend any side right now, Record growth, so what do you do? lock out the season, insane.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:33 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
How can you even defend any side right now, Record growth, so what do you do? lock out the season, insane.
Totally on the owner's side. I think 50-50 was more generous than the economics of the situation suggest it should be.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Yep. Both sides suck imo. Each side could have compromised on certain issues but noooo we can't have that now can we.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Totally on the owner's side. I think 50-50 was more generous than the economics of the situation suggest it should be.
I am a bit "favoring" the owners, but the original proposal was trash and started this crap to begin with.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:50 PM
XX
... Waiting

Someone, like CapGeek, should make a website that shows major player contracts ticking down in value the more this crap goes on.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:51 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennon View Post
326 / 30 teams ~ 11 games. How is that 25% of a season?

326 games WOW what a big number! Instead of saying 11 games / team have been cancelled.
Math isn't your strong suit I guess.

Each game has 2 teams playing not one. So its 326 games each of which has one team playing at home. Which is as you said about 11 homes games lost per team. 11/41 = 26.8%

Old
10-26-2012, 01:52 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Not even November yet and Bettman and the owners want to play hardball and cancel all of November games. Trying to send a message, I'd say.

I truly don't want to lose more games than necessary, definitely not the whole Season, but part of me is hoping that the players don't bow to these tactics by Bettman and just tell them to find that place where the sun doesn't shine. Let's just see how far both of these sides will go to once again jeopardize what is the 95-year history of the NHL.

What's needed here are some moderates from both sides to break ranks and come forward to say that they actually do want to negotiate. Such a scenario would truly put both Bettman's and Fehr's jobs in serious jeopardy. That's what should be in jeopardy rather than the NHL itself.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:54 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Not even November yet and Bettman and the owners want to play hardball and cancel all of November games. Trying to send a message, I'd say.
I truly don't want to lose more games than necessary, definitely not the whole Season, but part of me is hoping that the players don't bow to these tactics by Bettman and just tell them to find that place where the sun doesn't shine. Let's just see how far both of these sides will go to once again jeopardize what is the 95-year history of the NHL.

What's needed here are some moderates from both sides to break ranks and come forward to say that they actually do want to negotiate. Such a scenario would truly put both Bettman's and Fehr's jobs in serious jeopardy. That's what should be in jeopardy rather than the NHL itself.
Not ncessarily sending a message. The owners want to recoup some lost revenue by booking events in the formerly filled dates. Its a lot easier booking stuff if the games are cancelled a month in advance than trying to fill the spaces in a couple of weeks.

Old
10-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Absolutely ridiculous. I hope the NHL never recovers from this.

Huntershin Karuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Cancel the NHL.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 01:59 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Just cancel them all.
This.

While I do care about watching games this year, all of this knuckle-dragging, sudden hype and speculation, and then all-of-the-sudden "oh sorry...there will be no games" crap at the last minute is ridiculous. All it does is get our hopes up and then provide disappointment.

I myself have been mentally prepared for no hockey this year since August so frankly it doesn't matter. I'm just annoyed that the tiny little speck of hope for hockey this year that I have keeps getting smooshed.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:26 PM
schabadoo

I assume they don't want to cancel into January to preserve the Winter Classic. Who knows, it may be the first game of the year.

schabadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Kmshrkx

Quote:
Agree completely!!!

Kmshrkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmshrkx View Post
Agree completely!!!
Why are you posting in this thread then

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Horse
Go Canucks!

Meh. I don't even feel sad. I'm almost glad since there doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day even without hockey.
I made a new twitter account with everything but NHL related people, and I seem to visit this forum only out of habit. I've always considered myself to be a pretty good fan, but I'm losing interest in everything NHL. At this point I doubt I'll come running back too fast.

Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:02 PM
CN_paladin

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
From bad to worse MT @Buccigross: NHL sources tell me the NHL will cancel Winter Classic and All Star Game. Announcement scheduled Monday.

LOL at the players while most owners start to book other events in their venues! The likes of Snider and Jacobs must have had their hands in this tough stance and won't stop till Fehr is fired by his own players!

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
From bad to worse MT @Buccigross: NHL sources tell me the NHL will cancel Winter Classic and All Star Game. Announcement scheduled Monday.

LOL at the players while most owners start to book other events in their venues! The likes of Snider and Jacobs must have had their hands in this tough stance and won't stop till Fehr is fired by his own players!
They have options now though ... If you don't think so, then why are they going to Europe to play?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote