Notices

No More Lockout Blues! - 2012 Lockout Part 2 [UPD: AGREEMENT REACHED!]

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2012, 04:52 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

vCash: 1375
Sure doesn't look good for me having a Jet-dog in P3 this year....

Old
11-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 500
I would be content if they cancelled the season already. I don't have a ton of disposable cash and ten or so games that I go to would help pay for a winter trip to Mexico. Oh well.

Old
11-21-2012, 07:19 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
I would be content if they cancelled the season already. I don't have a ton of disposable cash and ten or so games that I go to would help pay for a winter trip to Mexico. Oh well.
This happened to me weeks ago.
Neither one of these sides deserves our money.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:25 PM
SensibleGuy

I heard that part of the PA's offer stipulates that the dollar value of their "cut" of revenues can't drop lower than the previous year...meaning essentially that if the league had a good year and then the economy tanked and revenue dropped dramatically the next year the players could concievably end up taking 55 or 60 or more % of HRR. If thats true then frankly I have to laugh at the suggestion the players are really interested in negotiating a deal in the real world.

I'm at the point where I'd happily lose a season if it meant breaking the union.

Old
11-21-2012, 09:00 PM
SCP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleGuy View Post
I heard that part of the PA's offer stipulates that the dollar value of their "cut" of revenues can't drop lower than the previous year...meaning essentially that if the league had a good year and then the economy tanked and revenue dropped dramatically the next year the players could concievably end up taking 55 or 60 or more % of HRR. If thats true then frankly I have to laugh at the suggestion the players are really interested in negotiating a deal in the real world.

I'm at the point where I'd happily lose a season if it meant breaking the union.
Yes you read that right....they sneak a little poison pill into their offer.

Old
11-21-2012, 09:24 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
Yes you read that right....they sneak a little poison pill into their offer.
Nero fiddles while Rome Burns!

SMART cou de ta on Paul Kelly PA???? way to bring in the war time consigliere for the wrong negociation?? Don't give up the day job boys......oh wait that's right you're not working?? Nobody can say they are pushovers that's for sure....so they've got that going for them....which is nice

End rant

Edit: After spending some time on the main board catching up it appears the negociations might have started today finally!

Last edited by ps241: 11-21-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old
11-21-2012, 10:22 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Nero fiddles while Rome Burns!

SMART cou de ta on Paul Kelly PA???? way to bring in the war time consigliere for the wrong negociation?? Don't give up the day job boys......oh wait that's right you're not working?? Nobody can say they are pushovers that's for sure....so they've got that going for them....which is nice

End rant

Edit: After spending some time on the main board catching up it appears the negociations might have started today finally!
Sorry. *Coup d'etat.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Savardian Spinarama
Grippin' 'n Grinnin'

Honestly, this was where this was going from the moment Fehr was hired. Now don't get me wrong, Bettman and the owners have their fair share of blame to take in this whole mess, but Fehr (and Bettman I suppose as well), has a legacy to look after. He will be THE MAN, who forced a sea change in the way two major sports leagues have done business in North America. This is no longer about the sport of hockey. This is about the telling of history in decades to come.

Amongst the many people I feel sorry for (certainly not the owners or the players, but the people who make a working person's living from the sport), I feel bad for the pensioners, who fought for a union and labor rights based on an economic reality that is very far removed from this crazy situation we have here.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:18 AM
SensibleGuy

yeah this ain't exactly some sort of Dickensian work camp were talking about here.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I understand former players' pensions are tied into this expired CBA, but that's a bit of a joke, in my opinion. The CBA should be for current situations in todays game. Those men who put in their time in years prior deserve to be paid and it's an absolute joke that their pensions come to a halt at the expense of a current CBA that they have nothing to do with in todays day and age.

As for Fehr, you make good points, Savardian Spinarama. Donald Fehr did not step out of retirement to get a mediocre deal for the players and his legacy, he'll take this right as far as he humanly can so long as the players are standing beside him.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Old
11-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Don't know if this has already been posted, but...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0GuvZ4LTnE

Old
11-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
And, surprise, surprise, apparently no progress was made.
This is what Fehr does. He makes an offer, it's rejected. He claims his side has moved and can't anymore, then offers a new deal which is the same thing packaged differently.

Any deal that guarantees the players a certain amount of money when the owners aren't afforded the same guarantee is a non-starter and the sooner the PA realizes that the better. If you want to be in a partnership, act like it.

Lipstick on a pig was the last PA offer IMHO

11-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
This is what Fehr does. He makes an offer, it's rejected. He claims his side has moved and can't anymore, then offers a new deal which is the same thing packaged differently.

Any deal that guarantees the players a certain amount of money when the owners aren't afforded the same guarantee is a non-starter and the sooner the PA realizes that the better. If you want to be in a partnership, act like it.

Lipstick on a pig was the last PA offer IMHO
All of there offers have been that. They've just changed the color of lipstick, maybe put some blush on it too.

Old
11-22-2012, 03:59 PM
TroubaFan1

This entire situation has become a joke! Both sides should hang their heads in shame.

Last edited by TroubaFan1: 11-22-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old
11-22-2012, 05:16 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Sorry. *Coup d'etat.
Thanks Newt I was winging it on that one

Old
11-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Bob E

I never thought i would say it, but i actually believe 'best offer' Bettman more so than 'players have given sooooooo much in concessions ' Fehr.

I swore i wouldn't again believe anything that Gary says, but now believe him far more than Donald, in this negotiation.

Weird.

Old
11-22-2012, 07:21 PM
sully1410

So Roman Hamrlik? How awesome is he?

I think we finally have that player that's telling the PA to smarten up.

Old
11-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Dislike it immensely. You keep comments like that behind closed doors with your fellow PA members. It does nothing but hurt the PA by saying something like that, which does not help anybody. The owners might feel they can press the advantage and the bulk of the PA becomes defensive. Could prolong the lockout.

Not too mention, for no reason at all you create a rift between yourself and your fellow players. It's fine if he is telling the other players and the PA that, he has a right to his views, but to publicly speak out against your fellow players, many people will not want to play with him now. Even the moderates will not want to have signs of discord to be aired in public hurting their own side. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if that is the death knell of his NHL career.

Old
11-22-2012, 08:05 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
So Roman Hamrlik? How awesome is he?

I think we finally have that player that's telling the PA to smarten up.
And we have a PA kool-aid drinker named Erik Cole that basically said Hamrlik is a selfish SOB and that he should stay in the Czech Republic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Dislike it immensely. You keep comments like that behind closed doors with your fellow PA members. It does nothing but hurt the PA by saying something like that, which does not help anybody. The owners might feel they can press the advantage and the bulk of the PA becomes defensive. Could prolong the lockout.

Not too mention, for no reason at all you create a rift between yourself and your fellow players. It's fine if he is telling the other players and the PA that, he has a right to his views, but to publicly speak out against your fellow players, many people will not want to play with him now. Even the moderates will not want to have signs of discord to be aired in public hurting their own side. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if that is the death knell of his NHL career.
He is 38, so I wouldn't be surprised. Is this the last year of his contract?

Old
11-22-2012, 08:29 PM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
And we have a PA kool-aid drinker named Erik Cole that basically said Hamrlik is a selfish SOB and that he should stay in the Czech Republic.
He is 38, so I wouldn't be surprised. Is this the last year of his contract?
It's complicated, Holden. There is no question that this will make him unpopular with the leaders in the PA, hurt their cause and possibly end his career. But that may be a reason to admire the courage of his convictions. Solidarity for the right cause can be good thing, but can also be a used to intimidate and suppress independent thought. When I look at the control that Fehr seems to have gained over the minds of these kids, it's down right scary.
Hamrlik is acting in his own interests in that he is old and in the last year of his contract. He also happens to be giving sound advice to his brainwashed fellow players, IMHO. For that, he is probably going to take a big hit in the short term, risk being ostracized by his own misguided mates, but may be vindicated in the long term. We'll see.

Old
11-22-2012, 11:13 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Roman Hamrlik ftw!

Old
11-23-2012, 01:10 AM
sully1410

He's also not the first. Guys like Teemu have been saying stuff like this to the press since day friggen one about how this game is about the fans and how we pay their salary and its not fair to us.

I think it's very admirable that he's willing to speak out about what he believes in and when challenged, doesn't back down and supports his statement.

Old
11-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
I miss Claude Noel.

No, really, I truly do miss Claude Noel. I miss his rambling post game diatribes, I miss his great sense of humour, his pre-game enthusiasm and as well his post-game edge when the Jets lose. Some enterprising type like a Lawless needs to grab a long interview with Noel, and preferably add a video portion on the website as well. He doesn't need to break any lockout rules in order to regale us with summer fishing tales and stories about his Nun sisters.

I miss Claude Noel and his talk of free pizzas.

Old
11-23-2012, 08:03 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

Gump: agree - he was very entertaining last year. Never knew what he was going to say, but you always knew that it wouldn't be the typical coach diatribe.

Even his "fireside" stories were interesting - love the fact that he was involved with the team that was one of the inspirations for "Slapshot".

Old
11-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

I loved noel. The emotion in his voice in his last post game has stuck with me. It literally sounded like he was holding back tears.

"So shoot you beauties, one last time"

God damn I want to have a beer with that owl-man.

Closed Thread