Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

vCash: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1g View Post
It's so close. I want to see a game before Christmas. My body is ready for a Jumbo Jet Hot Dog, with bacon, cheese, and perogy pieces. My jersey is ready to have beer spilled on it while dishing out high 5s after a goal. My bladder is prepared to be tested to the limit while waiting in the bathroom line during intermission. I want to go shopping at Jets Gear while drunk, buying another Jets hat, even though I already have 4-5 sitting at home already. I don't even care who's at fault anymore. For the love of God and hockey, get er done boys!
I feel your pain. I just recently found out that I've acquired a friends' ST, as he is moving to the states. No more scrounging for single tickets.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Sabadecade
Sec304 STH & WL#1882

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathil8 View Post
I feel your pain. I just recently found out that I've acquired a friends' ST, as he is moving to the states. No more scrounging for single tickets.
I also feel your pain as my group got our waiting list number called this summer and BAM, lockout. No more single seats for me either (although it was cool to view the games from a different vantage point every time)

Common! Make... it... happen...

Old
12-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
Players insisting on having Fehr back in the room. To quote Star Wars: I have a bad feeling about this...
I thought of this when the players insited on Fehr back in the room

Old
12-06-2012, 01:32 PM
SensibleGuy

vCash: 50
apparently now the players have requested the return of the mediators.

Afaic, the players should be pretty damned pleased with the fact they've gotten the owners to move at all this past week.

Sign. The. Damned. Deal.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunk View Post
Per Kelly Moore:

Kelly Moore @KellyMooreCJOB
.@680cjob #NHL and #NHLPA Reach a Tentative Agreement. To meet this afternoon.
2 minutes ago

I have no idea if this guy is in the loop but he just tweeted this.
Either way, the guy's correct.

If they settle, he looks like an insider and scooping a story. If they only meet, then break off talks, well he did say... they had a tentative agreement... to meet.

Let's see what happens. Hoping for the best.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:40 PM
SensibleGuy

the "tentative agreement" was regarding the possibility of meeting this afternoon, not the cba agreement. Poorly worded tweet methinks.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

vCash: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleGuy View Post
the "tentative agreement" was regarding the possibility of meeting this afternoon, not the cba agreement. Poorly worded tweet methinks.
*intentionally poorly worded tweet

Old
12-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Bob E

Quote:
apparently now the players have requested the return of the mediators.

Afaic, the players should be pretty damned pleased with the fact they've gotten the owners to move at all this past week.

Sign. The. Damned. Deal.
I'm really starting to NOT like the players in this whole negotiation. Stalling to try to improve their position and offer. If its true that they want a shorter term of a CBA simply to put more pressure on owners next time, how is that helping the game.

IMO, its pretty obvious the players aren't too worried about the good of the game, and having financially healthy teams. If they let this deal - deal there to be made - fall thru now, I say screw them. I'm then 110% in Chipman and the NHL's corner.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:58 PM
SensibleGuy

the idiocy of it all is that the longer they go without signing an agreement, the more they have to get out of the owners in order to cover their losses from not getting paid. I mean sure, lets bring in mediation now and maybe the players can squeeze a few tens of millions back from the owners, but they've lost what, half a billion so far from being locked out? Even the dollars the owners have given by bumping the stupid "make whole" up to 300 million doesn't cover what they've already lost. It seems like they're willing to can the season and lose 1.6 billion or whatever in order to get a half billion out of the cba agreement. Lunacy.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:11 PM
SCP Guy

Chipman has left the CBA meetings I hear......

Old
12-06-2012, 03:14 PM
s1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabadecade View Post
I also feel your pain as my group got our waiting list number called this summer and BAM, lockout. No more single seats for me either (although it was cool to view the games from a different vantage point every time)

Common! Make... it... happen...
Lucky!!! I'm currently on the waiting list too, and call me crazy, but I also miss the rush of waiting for that email in the morning from the Jets re:single game tickets, jumping online, and managing to score tickets to that night's game. Obviously not as great as having season tickets, but it's still a great feeling.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathil8 View Post
*intentionally poorly worded tweet
Several people in the media were extremely unhappy about this tweet and it has since been removed.

12-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

More like "Kelly Less is Moore."

Old
12-06-2012, 03:38 PM
s1g

Quote:
the idiocy of it all is that the longer they go without signing an agreement, the more they have to get out of the owners in order to cover their losses from not getting paid. I mean sure, lets bring in mediation now and maybe the players can squeeze a few tens of millions back from the owners, but they've lost what, half a billion so far from being locked out? Even the dollars the owners have given by bumping the stupid "make whole" up to 300 million doesn't cover what they've already lost. It seems like they're willing to can the season and lose 1.6 billion or whatever in order to get a half billion out of the cba agreement. Lunacy.
Yup. I agree, and I'm firmly in the player's camp. At some point, these guys need to realize that the longer they hold out, the more money they lose out on that they'll never be able to recoup. At some point, they need to tell themselves "Well guys, we fought a good fight, but this might be as good as it's going to get". And honestly, if I'm a player, maybe I even ask for a 10-15 year deal, just to ensure that the owners can't come back during the next CBA negotation and cry about how they're losing money again. They would have 10-15 years to let themselves fix their own problems, instead of them coming back to the players after year 8 and trying to scrape back even more money.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Yup. I agree, and I'm firmly in the player's camp. At some point, these guys need to realize that the longer they hold out, the more money they lose out on that they'll never be able to recoup. At some point, they need to tell themselves "Well guys, we fought a good fight, but this might be as good as it's going to get". And honestly, if I'm a player, maybe I even ask for a 10-15 year deal, just to ensure that the owners can't come back during the next CBA negotation and cry about how they're losing money again. They would have 10-15 years to let themselves fix their own problems, instead of them coming back to the players after year 8 and trying to scrape back even more money.
Last I heard the players were pushing for a 5 year CBA, owners wanted 10 years with some kind of opt out (not sure on which side) after year 8.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Aaaand Fehr is late pushing the meeting to early evening.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:52 PM
s1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Last I heard the players were pushing for a 5 year CBA, owners wanted 10 years with some kind of opt out (not sure on which side) after year 8.
That's just silly. Why give the owners another chance to lock you out? Seriously. Even if the NHL becomes uber-profitable after this next CBA, what are the players really going to say?

NHLPA - Hey you guys are making money now. Give us a larger share!
NHL - No. Because if we do that, then teams will start losing money again.

In all likelihood, since some teams are so poorly run, while other teams can fudge their books, the next round of negotiations will begin with the owners claiming they're still losing money.

Seriously, if I'm a player, I'm trying to get the CBA locked in at 50/50 for the next 10-15 years. If they're really serious about protecting the future of the game, then they need less work stoppages to avoid pissing off the fans, and they need to provide the owners with less opportunities to tell them that they're losing money.

Old
12-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
That's just silly. Why give the owners another chance to lock you out? Seriously. Even if the NHL becomes uber-profitable after this next CBA, what are the players really going to say?

NHLPA - Hey you guys are making money now. Give us a larger share!
NHL - No. Because if we do that, then teams will start losing money again.

In all likelihood, since some teams are so poorly run, while other teams can fudge their books, the next round of negotiations will begin with the owners claiming they're still losing money.

Seriously, if I'm a player, I'm trying to get the CBA locked in at 50/50 for the next 10-15 years. If they're really serious about protecting the future of the game, then they need less work stoppages to avoid pissing off the fans, and they need to provide the owners with less opportunities to tell them that they're losing money.
I believe it's because the NHL's 100th anniversary is in 6 years - which would give the players more leverage...? Something like that. Lawless or some other in-tight-with-owners reporter mentioned (quite a while back) that the league wanted to make sure it's 100th isn't marred by labour strife.

Another line of thought is that you kind of get a changing of the guard in 10 seasons (no Don Fehr, probably no Bettman, Jacobs, etc.) - very very few of these guys, players included, will be around in 10 years, so maybe they can reset the acrimony level back to neutral...

Old
12-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Conflicted Habs fan

Is that guy released from prison yet? The one who phoned the police to demand the return of the Jets? If he's out someone please tell him to call the police again, to arrest Bettman and force the CBA to end. ok?

Old
12-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Daynz
What!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflicted Habs fan View Post
Is that guy released from prison yet? The one who phoned the police to demand the return of the Jets? If he's out someone please tell him to call the police again, to arrest Bettman and force the CBA to end. ok?
What? When did this happen?

Old
12-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Conflicted Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daynz View Post
What? When did this happen?
I thought it was common urban knowledge to Winnippeggers:
here's a link:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...-98975869.html

oh, and the police needs give him some smokes too btw

Old
12-06-2012, 04:37 PM
SensibleGuy

Arrest Bettman? Screw that. The PA needs to fire Fehr and stop drinking his kool-aid...

Old
12-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Conflicted Habs fan

Quote:
Arrest Bettman? Screw that. The PA needs to fire Fehr and stop drinking his kool-aid...
Bettman started the lockout remember? And Bettman has been the one who has been intransigent this whole time not Fehr.

Old
12-06-2012, 05:03 PM
SensibleGuy

lol. right...

Old
12-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Both of them need to be relieved of any and all duties with the NHL.

Closed Thread