HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Anyone have a link as to why Bowman was passed up for the GM job in 1979?

Old
10-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Anyone have a link as to why Bowman was passed up for the GM job in 1979?

It didn't make sense at the time. I can't find a link that has details of the reasons behind it. To me it made no sense. You had the best coach in the NHL with the best mind, you have legendary GM Sam Pollock leaving in 1978 and you replace him with..................a bowling alley owner in Grundman?

I can't remember nor can I even find the reasons why the Habs did this. They probably keep Bowman forever if they give him the dual Coach-GM position. Instead there was a whack of playoff failures starting immediately after 1979 for Montreal

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:38 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

That was probably the biggest mistake in the history of the Canadiens', never fully explained to the best of my knowledge Phil. According to stories Ive read, Sam Pollock himself recommended Grundman over heir apparent & natural successor Bowman, an odd move for a guy who since the Selke years had been so astute. Naturally Scotty was upset, leaving for Buffalo where he was handed the dual portfolio of Coach/GM, followed by Pittsburgh & Detroit of course, at one time approached by MLSE to take over the reins with the Leafs. Strange move by Pollock. Something wasnt right, off. Maybe a Habs fan or three knows more about this & can shed some light?...

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 01:30 AM
eastcoaster

I don't have a link but Jean Beliveau's autobiography has a pretty good account of the reason why Bowman was not given the job. I don't have the book here but from what I remember, according to Beliveau, Bowman was frequently demanding that Pollock trade away players after a bad game or if a player had a bad game and there was some concern what would happen if Bowman became GM. I think they just thought the team would be more stable with Grundman in charge and from what I remember from the book Grundman was highly thought of not just by Pollock but by other members of the teams management as well including Beliveau at the time the decision was made. I wish I had the book because I'm sure there are a few more details but as I recall that seemed to be the main one.

I think it was simply a matter of thinking Bowman was not a good fit for the GM job and history show that he was a far better coach than a GM.

eastcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:09 AM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoaster View Post
I don't have a link but Jean Beliveau's autobiography has a pretty good account of the reason why Bowman was not given the job. I don't have the book here but from what I remember, according to Beliveau, Bowman was frequently demanding that Pollock trade away players after a bad game or if a player had a bad game and there was some concern what would happen if Bowman became GM. I think they just thought the team would be more stable with Grundman in charge and from what I remember from the book Grundman was highly thought of not just by Pollock but by other members of the teams management as well including Beliveau at the time the decision was made. I wish I had the book because I'm sure there are a few more details but as I recall that seemed to be the main one.

I think it was simply a matter of thinking Bowman was not a good fit for the GM job and history show that he was a far better coach than a GM.
That's pretty much the jist of it. Other less reliable sources hinted that the two didn't get along at all.
Might try digging up some Red Fisher quotes on the subject. That's usually my first "goto" point anything Habs related.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 08:44 AM
Canadiens1958

Other Factors.

Two other factors.

If Scotty Bowman was promoted to GM in 1978, who steps up to coach? Canadiens did not have a back-up coach in place in the AHL or within the organization. Post Bowman, the Canadiens churned coaches until Jacques Lemaire came along then coaching stability and depth returned. Scotty Bowman's inability to find and settle on a coach in Buffalo was more of an issue then shoot from the hip trades.

By 1978 the Canadiens GM job had evolved beyond the standard NHL definition of an NHL GM's responsibilities. The standard responsibilities were handled by Sam Pollock but the business end of the organization - running the Forum and approximately 12-15 interwoven companies was Irving Grundman's area. Scotty Bowman was solid in the hockey area but without a foundation in the other areas of responsibility.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 09:12 AM
tommygunn

It was pretty much said already.. Pollock felt Bowman would be trigger happy and trade away players too fast. His choice of Grundman to replace him ended up hurting the franchise.. as ironically Grundman hung onto aging players a season or two too long. By the time he did move some of the players, they weren't as valuable on the market as they once were and got little to nothing in return.

tommygunn is offline   Reply With Quote