HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks Prospect Needs

Old
10-26-2012, 08:58 PM
CanucksCupHopes*

vCash: 500
Canucks Prospect Needs

Hi this is my first thread so go easy on me. I was wondering what our needs for ourPROSPECTS is? Goaltending is great but defense needs upgrades and so does our forward prospects. What do you think guys?

CanucksCupHopes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:02 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
We need better prospects. And WHL picks before the 19th rd.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:15 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
i think we need good forward, good defensive and good goaltending prospects. does anybody agree? yeah!!

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
If I could add a blue chipper at any position...Defense.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:53 PM
Socratic Method Man

vCash: 622
A #1 dman. We don't need any more middle pairing or bottom pairing dmen. We don't even need more #2 dmen.

We have Edler, Bieksa and Hamhuis who are all top-pairing dmen, but not quite #1 (depending on your definition). Plus Garrison, a good middle-pairing dman with upside still. That top-4 will be locked up for years if/after Edler re-signs. Tanev was playing like a top-4 dman last year (although he hasn't been amazing this year in the ahl from what I've seen). And at 22 y/o, he can still improve a ton. Ballard looks like he's improving as well.

Then Connauton, Corrado, and McNally are all looking like pretty good prospects - any of them could become a middle pairing d.

That's a lot of quality defenders. The only thing missing is a #1. Hamhuis plays that role for our team, and is pretty damn great, and I believe Edler will continue improving, and could very well reach that franchise/#1 dman status that Mike Gillis spoke about.

But if we can add one thing to the pipeline, I think that's what would make us unstoppable.

Socratic Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:02 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
A #1 dman. We don't need any more middle pairing or bottom pairing dmen. We don't even need more #2 dmen.

We have Edler, Bieksa and Hamhuis who are all top-pairing dmen, but not quite #1 (depending on your definition). Plus Garrison, a good middle-pairing dman with upside still. That top-4 will be locked up for years if/after Edler re-signs. Tanev was playing like a top-4 dman last year (although he hasn't been amazing this year in the ahl from what I've seen). And at 22 y/o, he can still improve a ton. Ballard looks like he's improving as well.

Then Connauton, Corrado, and McNally are all looking like pretty good prospects - any of them could become a middle pairing d.

That's a lot of quality defenders. The only thing missing is a #1. Hamhuis plays that role for our team, and is pretty damn great, and I believe Edler will continue improving, and could very well reach that franchise/#1 dman status that Mike Gillis spoke about.

But if we can add one thing to the pipeline, I think that's what would make us unstoppable.
Sadly, I think the only chance we have of getting this mythical creature is either to tank (ugh) or to hope for a loss of this season and win the draft lottery.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:07 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Sadly, I think the only chance we have of getting this mythical creature is either to tank (ugh) or to hope for a loss of this season and win the draft lottery.
Our jack a 1st round pick from Florida or Toronto in a Luongo trade.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

I'd say it'd be nice to get a legit #1 defenseman prospect. We have lots of guys with top 4 upside, and some that could end up top pairing, but we don't have a legit do it all defense prospect with #1 potential.

I'd say grabbing a good center prospect could be beneficial as well. Again, he'd need to have #1 upside.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Tim Calhoun
Genius

vCash: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Disagree. Not all top #1 defensemen were drafted high: Weber, Keith, Letang, Yandle, etc. If we continue to select high upside d-men like McNally, Corrado, Tommernes etc. we're eventually going to hit the jackpot with one of them. Heck, we did it just eight years ago with Edler.

It is too bad we couldn't get Schultz this summer though.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:53 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
Disagree. Not all top #1 defensemen were drafted high: Weber, Keith, Letang, Yandle, etc. If we continue to select high upside d-men like McNally, Corrado, Tommernes etc. we're eventually going to hit the jackpot with one of them. Heck, we did it just eight years ago with Edler.

It is too bad we couldn't get Schultz this summer though.
*cough* Severson *cough*

Old
10-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Kass Effect

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksCupHopes View Post
Hi this is my first thread so go easy on me. I was wondering what our needs for ourPROSPECTS is? Goaltending is great but defense needs upgrades and so does our forward prospects. What do you think guys?
You pretty much answered your own question

D-man, or forward?

I think we need an offensively dynamic forward. Doesn't need size. Just needs to be either a pure sniper, or have eyes in the back of his head. Someone that will take the puck and make something happen, instead of just cycling. (now that I think about it, something like a Kadri would be close - not that I'm totally sold on the guy). Less importantly, some more guys like Mallet that can skate, hit, and fight.

If we don't sign Edler to a longer-term contract like I'm expecting, then D might be a priority. Must be offensively dynamic in some way besides just standing in one spot, hammering a 1-timer. One that can really skate with the puck. To a lesser degree, we could use some big, mobile d-men that hit hard, and are above average scrappers.

Kass Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!

vCash: 50
drafting from the WHL for once would be nice.

Twitter | HFBoards Contact | Youtube | Instagram| Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:14 PM
denkiteki

Honestly its hard to have much of a prospect pool if we keep winning our division (and pres trophy). The league is pretty much designed to be one or the other (i.e. rewarding future for losing now).

Considering MG using's Det's model/refers to it all the time, pretty much means we'll rarely have any hyped up prospect based on our draft positions but we'll have homegrown players that developer slowly and contribute. Once the core gets old, odds are MG will probably sign some other players to replace them if there isn't any homegrown talent ready (i.e. Hamhuis, Garrison, etc).

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Tiranis

Saying our need is a #1 D prospect is almost as bad as saying our need is a generational talent like Crosby. There are maybe 8 guys in the league that can be called #1 D and are heads and shoulders above the rest — there's probably only 1 drafted prospect out there right now that will join those ranks.

I certainly won't pretend to know who he is. Just like nobody saw Duncan Keith emerging as #1 D even as recently as 4 years ago.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:52 PM
billvanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Saying our need is a #1 D prospect is almost as bad as saying our need is a generational talent like Crosby. There are maybe 8 guys in the league that can be called #1 D and are heads and shoulders above the rest there's probably only 1 drafted prospect out there right now that will join those ranks.

I certainly won't pretend to know who he is. Just like nobody saw Duncan Keith emerging as #1 D even as recently as 4 years ago.
Draft position is far more important for forwards than for goalies and Dmen. A ton of top D men have been drafted late 1st or later, sometimes much later. Goalies even more so (brodeur went 20th overall, patrick Roy 51st overall for example)

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
Draft position is far more important for forwards than for goalies and Dmen. A ton of top D men have been drafted late 1st or later, sometimes much later. Goalies even more so (brodeur went 20th overall, patrick Roy 51st overall for example)

You are correct. Which is why I think Gillis has drafted a forward in the 1st round at every chance... And why I continue to think he will do so.

As for prospect need, this team needs a right-shot RD prospect to round out its defense pool.

Bleach Clean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 09:31 PM
arsmaster

Prospect needs?

A lot.

Doesn't look like there is going to be much push from the prospect pool on the big club.

The need NHLers, it looks pretty bleak.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 10:06 PM
DJOpus

Offensive players with high ceilings.

The whole point of prospects are to feed the big club and are going to need a couple top sixers soon, above and beyond the one open space now.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote