HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Sergei Zubov hired as Blues' Player Operations Consultant

Old
10-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Robb_K

vCash: 500
Sergei Zubov hired as Blues' Player Operations Consultant

I assume that he'll be headquartered in Russia, and work mainly in Europe, based on Armstrong's statement:

"Sergei was a champion in the NHL and is well respected in our League and also in Europe," Blues general manager Doug Armstrong said. "We will rely heavily on his opinion and expertise as he monitors our European prospects."

It sounds as if he'll be a scout for European leagues, and also keep tabs on Blues' prospects playing in Europe and Russia.

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 10:48 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
The Stars are aligning...

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:03 PM
TK 421
Donut Squad

vCash: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I assume that he'll be headquartered in Russia, and work mainly in Europe, based on Armstrong's statement:

"Sergei was a champion in the NHL and is well respected in our League and also in Europe," Blues general manager Doug Armstrong said. "We will rely heavily on his opinion and expertise as he monitors our European prospects."

It sounds as if he'll be a scout for European leagues, and also keep tabs on Blues' prospects playing in Europe and Russia.
The European Amateur scouts are already nails when it comes to defensemen. This feels like Armstrong continuing with his previous philosophy of increasing the Blues strength and standing in Europe and with European vets and prospects. And likewise increasing the Blues on ice strength by incorporating more European players. All part of that general culture change toward a more cosmopolitan roster that Armstrong has evidenced through out his tenure. Or at least that's the impression I've gotten.

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:05 PM
TK 421
Donut Squad

vCash: 758
Side note: How many cartons of smokes did it take to entice him into this contract?

Respected Russian champion to mentor budding elite winger? Yeah, I'll take that.

I'm sure having a guy like him who's played for Hitch to talk with Tarasenko makes a lot of us feel better.
Look how much of a difference it made to Nikitin once he arrived and started playing with Tyutin. Obviously Zubov
won't be on the ice with Vlad. But to have such a respected player, with insights into what his new coach expects,
it better prepares Tarasenko for Hitchcock at the very least. Even if it only ends up being a handfull of conversations.

Last edited by TK 421: 10-26-2012 at 11:22 PM.
TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:30 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post
Side note: How many cartons of smokes did it take to entice him into this contract?

Respected Russian champion to mentor budding elite winger? Yeah, I'll take that.

I'm sure having a guy like him who's played for Hitch to talk with Tarasenko makes a lot of us feel better.
Look how much of a difference it made to Nikitin once he arrived and started playing with Tyutin. Obviously Zubov
won't be on the ice with Vlad. But to have such a respected player, with insights into what his new coach expects,
it better prepares Tarasenko for Hitchcock at the very least. Even if it only ends up being a handfull of conversations.
Yes, now that The Blues are again involved with Russian players (and at least one VERY important one, it will be good for them to have on-playing Russians in the management side of player operations, within the organisation.

Old
10-26-2012, 11:34 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
The Stars are aligning...

bluesfan94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:07 AM
STL fan in IA

Good to hear. I've always liked Zubov. The impression I get from the press release is that he'll be giving his opinion of already drafted prospects playing in Europe. I think if he would be a part of the decision making process on who to draft from Euro, clubs, he would've been named a scout, not a consultant. Just the impression I get anyway. I don't know if this will really impact Vladi much but regardless, I like the hire. Still, how many former Stars is that in the org now? I don't have a problem with any if the ex-Stars Army has brought in but it would be nice to see him go out of comfort zone sometime.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Good to hear. I've always liked Zubov. The impression I get from the press release is that he'll be giving his opinion of already drafted prospects playing in Europe. I think if he would be a part of the decision making process on who to draft from Euro, clubs, he would've been named a scout, not a consultant. Just the impression I get anyway. I don't know if this will really impact Vladi much but regardless, I like the hire. Still, how many former Stars is that in the org now? I don't have a problem with any if the ex-Stars Army has brought in but it would be nice to see him go out of comfort zone sometime.
I would guess that Zubov might spend some tin working with The Blues in North America as well (mostly during camps and pre-seasons), but the bulk of the time in Europe. I assume, due to his watching the pro European leagues, that he'd be playing only a minor role (input in entry draft scouting decisions), and a larger role in getting pro scouting information to Armstrong & Co. (e.g. info on European pro player prospects owned by other teams when related to potential trades or organisational player needs of The Blues. That all can be done because Zubov will be watching The Blues' prospects play in those leagues, anyway.

Old
10-27-2012, 01:52 PM
BlueDream

There are many reasons for this hire, and Tarasenko is definitely one of them...

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

vCash: 50
Always wished Zubov would have been a Blue during his playing days

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:05 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Always wished Zubov would have been a Blue during his playing days
Instead we got a 38 year old Daryl Sydor

Its a pretty general title, so he could be working with either defenseman or Euros. Its good that he is very familiar with Hitch and Armstrong too.

And Hitchcock hates Russian btw.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote