HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Your image, which side of the world is "dumbest"?

View Poll Results: Which of these two countries have lover average book knowledge/intelligence?
Northern Europe 33 25.98%
United States 94 74.02%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-27-2012, 11:53 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I don't find it all that practical to compare the U.S. to a country like Finland. For one, you're just not that important.

RayP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Unaffiliated

Quote:
I don't find it all that practical to compare the U.S. to a country like Finland. For one, you're just not that important.
Oh damn.

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

vCash: 500
"Which of these two countries have lover average book knowledge/intelligence?"

Last I checked, book smarts are only one part in determining who is intelligent. There are 2 other factors that play a role in determining who is smart as well, street smarts and common sense.

Only a small handful of people in the world are highly book and street smart and have common sense. Lots of people are lacking these 3 qualities at once. For others, people who are highly book smart tend to not be street smart and don't have common sense. People who are highly street smart and have common sense tend to not be book smart.

Just some food for thought.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:17 PM
guest1467

Europeans are much more worldly than Americans because of their close proximity to many cultures, they often speak multiple languages and they have access to more different perspectives in the media and within popular culture. From what I have noticed, the more sophisticated a person is, the more 'knowledgeable' they seem (not always, but there is a strong correlation).

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
I voted northern Europe for the simple reason that most northern Europeans can speak more than one language and I saw/heard something this week saying that the most difficult thing someone can learn is the ability to fluently speak two languages.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Unaffiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
In the country called Europe.
Teach me about this country.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Unaffiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I voted northern Europe for the simple reason that most northern Europeans can speak more than one language and I saw/heard something this week saying that the most difficult thing someone can learn is the ability to fluently speak two languages.
I'm pretty sure there a ****load of things harder than learning to speak two languages.

Old
10-27-2012, 12:44 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Merica rulez!

TheGooooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Europeans are much more worldly than Americans because of their close proximity to many cultures, they often speak multiple languages and they have access to more different perspectives in the media and within popular culture. From what I have noticed, the more sophisticated a person is, the more 'knowledgeable' they seem (not always, but there is a strong correlation).
Yes, pretty much. If a person even seems sophisticated, they usually seem much smarter.

If you take two people who are exactly the same in every way, except one has a strong US southern accent and one has an upper class British accent, who will be seen as more "knowledgeable"?

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Robotic

Recite me Plato while the "uneducated" black guy hustles you out of all your money.

Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

I don't think Americans as a whole are dumb.

I just think that the stupid people in this country are the bottom of the barrel compared to everyone else.

10-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
This statement is pure BS since you can't guarantee nothing without your country. Now if you think that you have high enough education system, then fine. But by no means is it reasonable to expect your children/their children to get proper education with attitude like this.

You are more than willing to exploit all the benefits that your country gives but you don't want your children to have the same benefit? Cause after few years you don't have good education if you don't work on the issues. This does not mean that trade school should be left out. Why not improve them? I am a trade school student originally. My first profession was an electrician.

Your country falls in the top-20/30 category in education systems. Finland is year in year out top-5 and i can find many things wrong in our system and think it should be improved.

You have analogy that leaves your country just standing still. Hopefully that is not the general idea of american people.

Why will my children not have the same benefits that I had? Because I will not do an undefined something on the internet? Do I support improving our system? I most certainly do. Do I care whether or not it happens? Probably not. There are ways to ensure my kids will get a proper education, and I'm going to take every step necessary in order to do so.

That's another mistake people in the US are making. Leaving their children's education purely to the government. The system works just fine if you are supplemented at home. Nowadays kids are plopped on a couch and watch iCarly. That's a parenting problem and not a schooling problem.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 01:19 PM
sabresfan129103

Quote:

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:51 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 1322
I've heard that Finland has one of the best education systems in the world.

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 02:51 PM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Tannala, would you trade a weaker education system to get rid of the conscription in finland?
No. Perioid. But my opinion is biased. I am, although against my will, a Finnish officer and i respect the SA-INT.

Education is more important than getting rid of mandatory service. I would like that Finland gets rid off conscription but they should not do it in const of education.

Would you take conscription if it would guarantee top and equal education for every american?

TAnnala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 03:57 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
Yes, pretty much. If a person even seems sophisticated, they usually seem much smarter.

If you take two people who are exactly the same in every way, except one has a strong US southern accent and one has an upper class British accent, who will be seen as more "knowledgeable"?
Sophistication really has nothing to do with accents.

Old
10-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Whoa, this must be the first thread I've seen dedicated to talking about how dumb Americans are. Genius idea A+

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

I wish we lived in a world where we could all travel and study abroad the world like buddahsmoka1, I'll never be as sophisticated as him.

How will I be able to lead a happy life

How will any of us?

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Florentino Ariza

Definitely impossible to compare a tiny European country with one language, culture, and hundreds of years of culture to a brand new country that has 300 million people and is as diverse ethnically and geographically as any country on earth

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Florentino Ariza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
In what language is it proper to use double negatives?
Spanish and Portuguese

Old
10-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Florentino Ariza

Also one reason Americans appear to be dumb is that for whatever reason we place no importance on subjects that aren't seemed to be productive, literature, history, art, the humanities, and most people just don't care to know that stuff. It's about specialization

Old
10-27-2012, 04:45 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentino Ariza View Post
Spanish and Portuguese
I want to say it's acceptable in Arabic as well, though I'm struggling to think of an example at the moment.

FWIW, I'm an American and I'm a genius.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 05:09 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I want to say it's acceptable in Arabic as well, though I'm struggling to think of an example at the moment.

FWIW, I'm an American and I'm a genius.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:27 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
I wish we lived in a world where we could all travel and study abroad the world like buddahsmoka1, I'll never be as sophisticated as him.

How will I be able to lead a happy life

How will any of us?
What the **** are you talking about now?

Old
10-27-2012, 07:32 PM
TheYuleGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Tannala, would you trade a weaker education system to get rid of the conscription in finland?
There's nothing wrong with the conscription, most young boys look forward to it and in Finland, it's part of becoming a man and growing up. Some people may not get the chance to do it (disabilities and diseases for example), however most of them wish they could serve and others may choose to do siviilipalvelus, but most people look forward to the military and are happy to get the chance.

So no, I wouldn't trade our education away just so that I can get rid of something that I'm sure I'll enjoy.

TheYuleGoat is offline   Reply With Quote