HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Washington-Calgary

Old
10-28-2012, 10:49 AM
Svensational
THANK YOU IGGY

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i doubt he would play on the caps 1st line. 1st pp unit, yea. by the way....the crapper the team the more chances to score the best player on that team gets. more prime ice time. more games coming from behind and trying all out to score and fewer times ahead and giving up offense to hold the lead.

its not as clear cut as you might think. 30 goals for a $7m players isnt really a bargain
First of all you speak about crapper teams and goal scoring with no back up. As for 30 goals not being a bargain at 7mil... Ovi is the only player that got over 30 goals on your team and not by much(38, 6 more then Iginla). Semin had 21 goals. Iginla would be top 2 goal scorer on the team.

Svensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Ashasx

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i doubt he would play on the caps 1st line. 1st pp unit, yea. by the way....the crapper the team the more chances to score the best player on that team gets. more prime ice time. more games coming from behind and trying all out to score and fewer times ahead and giving up offense to hold the lead.

its not as clear cut as you might think. 30 goals for a $7m players isnt really a bargain
Yet Iginla would have led the Caps in scoring the last 2 seasons.

What a steal Ovechkin is.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:43 AM
txpd

where did i say ovechkin was a bargain? that was not the question on the table. in fact it only makes overpaying harder to handle.

how about ovechkin for iginla even up?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 12:58 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Yet Iginla would have led the Caps in scoring the last 2 seasons.

What a steal Ovechkin is.
Bashing other team's players doesn't make your team look better.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Ashasx

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Bashing other team's players doesn't make your team look better.
That wasn't my point. The guy said Iginla wouldn't play on the first line, which is nonsense since he has outproduced any Caps player these last 2 years without the help of players like Backstrom and Semin.

Yeah, the crappier the team, the more likely he is to get ice time? Another stupid argument. Iginla has played under Brent Sutter's no-offence-allowed system these last 3 seasons.

Of course he'd play on the first line. He's trying to dampen Iginla's value. I'd be surprised if Iginla didn't lead all Caps in points if he played there.

Old
10-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Flameshomer

Honestly though, Forget laich and the first, I would think hard if you offered Forsberg and Orlov for Iginla, and I think it would be fair (If you factor in a reasonable extension for Iggy)

Flameshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 01:20 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
That wasn't my point. The guy said Iginla wouldn't play on the first line, which is nonsense since he has outproduced any Caps player these last 2 years without the help of players like Backstrom and Semin.

Yeah, the crappier the team, the more likely he is to get ice time? Another stupid argument. Iginla has played under Brent Sutter's no-offence-allowed system these last 3 seasons.

Of course he'd play on the first line. He's trying to dampen Iginla's value. I'd be surprised if Iginla didn't lead all Caps in points if he played there.
I agree with the statement that Iginla wouldn't play on our first line. We need to spread out our scoring. We need a scoring W on the second line.

Old
10-28-2012, 01:20 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameshomer View Post
Honestly though, Forget laich and the first, I would think hard if you offered Forsberg and Orlov for Iginla, and I think it would be fair (If you factor in a reasonable extension for Iggy)
Most important part.

Old
10-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Chokers Unite!

So a 35 year old rental who's already on decline gets a significantly better return than Rick Nash?

Iginla's value at this point is nowhere near this, it's probably not even particularly close to what Nash got, which was a late first, two utility players and a boom/bust prospect. I'd say it's probably a late first/decent prospect and a roster player/mid round pick. 1st + Ward, or Galiev + 2nd, those I'd do. But there's no way I'd give up a top prospect or a key roster player for him.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 02:33 PM
RA9

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
So a 35 year old rental who's already on decline gets a significantly better return than Rick Nash?

Iginla's value at this point is nowhere near this, it's probably not even particularly close to what Nash got, which was a late first, two utility players and a boom/bust prospect. I'd say it's probably a late first/decent prospect and a roster player/mid round pick. 1st + Ward, or Galiev + 2nd, those I'd do. But there's no way I'd give up a top prospect or a key roster player for him.
Wouldn't do either of those.

RA9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 02:33 PM
Ashasx

Yes, the OP is giving up too much value. I think the discussion is beyond that now.

And I'd hardly say Erixon is a boom/bust prospect. Even as a scornful Flames fan, Erixon is guaranteed to be at least a 2nd paring defenceman.

Old
10-28-2012, 02:39 PM
Carlzner
Game of Tanks

Quote:
Yes, the OP is giving up too much value. I think the discussion is beyond that now.

And I'd hardly say Erixon is a boom/bust prospect. Even as a scornful Flames fan, Erixon is guaranteed to be at least a 2nd paring defenceman.
And Orlov is arguably almost a 2nd pairing defenseman already.. and they were drafted the same year.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 02:49 PM
MVW

The Flames would need to be blown away by an offer to even consider moving Iginla. I highly doubt he's going anywhere.

MVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Chokers Unite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxFlamesFan View Post
Wouldn't do either of those.
Yeah, and I wouldn't expect you to. The potential return for Iginla at this point in his career can't justify the loss in terms of what he means to the organization, and losing seeing him retire in a Flames jersey. I think he retires a Flame, as he should.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Most important part.
No, making sure that a 35 year old who will be 36 by the time next season rolls around and who isn't exactly the most dynamic skater doesn't fall off a cliff after missing a year like so many similar players have after the previous lockout is the most important part.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

Quote:
Way to destroy the divisional rival. At this point, I wouldn't give more than Orlov and a second for Iginla (and I'd think about this one as well). See: Ribeiro traded for Eakin and a second.
What about this:
Iginla for
Stan Galiev
Third round 2013
Second round 2014 if Iginla re-signs
Counter: Laich for Stajan.

Last edited by Skobel24: 10-28-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Koized

Iginla has to be one of the most overated players in the league. He won't come close to any of the returns Flames fans think they will get.

Koized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2012, 11:09 PM
Svensational
THANK YOU IGGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koized View Post
Iginla has to be one of the most overated players in the league. He won't come close to any of the returns Flames fans think they will get.
I'm not sure you are serious? Many Flames fans might ask more in a trade then what he may fetch because what he means to Calgary and he actually is and has been the Flames best player for a decade. (Kipper may have had 1-2 seasons that could argue otherwise). Iginla puts up the numbers every year consistently, while setting up the play.

I ask you, do you think Iginla would get more or less then what Gaustad got?

Svensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 12:59 AM
Beerfest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koized View Post

Iginla overrated?

lol, no.

He has the numbers and consistency to back it up.

If he was on the block, the Flames would ask the moon for him and would rather hold onto him then to trade him for scraps.

Beerfest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 01:39 AM
nogger
Former 4th liner

I think alot of GM's would look at more than just 'a 35 year old who puts up 30 goals'

He's one of the BEST leaders and veterans in the league. Plays a hardnosed gritty game, effective on the power play, rarely gets hurt, and if a playoff team picked him up i'd bet anything that he'd be one of the best players throughout the playoffs.

smh @ some of these suggestions. Gaustad got a 1st round pick for gods sakes. If a team needs a little push come playoff time, you'd be stupid if you didn't expect a monster return for one of the best players in the last 10 years.

/rant

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:34 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Iginla has been a great player in his time in Calgary, but people started calling for a trade some years ago for good reason: That is when he would have garnered excellent return, and brought the team acquiring him several more years of stellar play.

The danger in acquiring him now is that the dramatic falloff might be just around the corner. A few years or months? Impossible to predict, but he's getting on in years for a player with his rugged style of play.

From a Capitals perspective, I wouldn't want to give up the cost in trade, which would no doubt be high. At the end of one year, he'd probably bolt anyway.

This is assuming he isn't going to be unrestricted before the NHL is playing again, of course, since 2012-13 is his last year under contract and we might very well be headed for a season-long lockout. I suspect this is entirely academic.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 07:30 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
Gaustad got a 1st round pick for gods sakes. If a team needs a little push come playoff time, you'd be stupid if you didn't expect a monster return for one of the best players in the last 10 years.

/rant
i think its pretty well agreed that gm's decided by the trade deadline that the first round of that draft was turning out pretty weak. a draft that was originally thought to be strong had fallen to the point that trading gm's couldnt buy much with a first round pick.

mcphee had acquired an additional 1st to use specifically to trade for a top 6 forward at the deadline. he said that there was nothing to buy with it. that gaustad got a first says more about the weakness of that first's value than anything else.

I also remind you that teams looking for a playoff push toward a cup are NOT going to be trading two pieces OFF its current roster to buy a rental.

a 1st round pick and desired prospect? sure. Laich and Orlov or Johansson? Nah

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 02:13 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Ruutu
Faulk
Murphy
2013 1st

Do you trade that for Iginla?
Id think about it...addresses a couple of needs. Adding Murphy to our cupboard is a nice piece..

Not a bad offer at all.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Caniac125330

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Id think about it...addresses a couple of needs. Adding Murphy to our cupboard is a nice piece..

Not a bad offer at all.
For Calgary, its terrible for us. It also made me realize how bad my hypothetical trade is for the caps.

Caniac125330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Koized

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
I think alot of GM's would look at more than just 'a 35 year old who puts up 30 goals'

He's one of the BEST leaders and veterans in the league. Plays a hardnosed gritty game, effective on the power play, rarely gets hurt, and if a playoff team picked him up i'd bet anything that he'd be one of the best players throughout the playoffs.

smh @ some of these suggestions. Gaustad got a 1st round pick for gods sakes. If a team needs a little push come playoff time, you'd be stupid if you didn't expect a monster return for one of the best players in the last 10 years.

/rant
He is 35 years old.

Has one year remaining on his contract.

Comparing him to a deal for a player (Gaustad) in which almost everyone said was very lopsided at the time doesn't give you his value. Especially considering the 2012 draft was considered very weak. If Iginla brings back a package of Laich, Forsberg, Orlov and a 1st in 2013 it would be one of the worst trades in recent memory. Also, based on you judging a person's value based on one other trade, I could say is Iginla worth as much as Jagr was when the Capitals traded him? No chance, and he only got Anson Carter in return, so based on your limited and specific valuation I can say Iginla is worth Wolski. SMMFH.

Koized is offline   Reply With Quote