HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Blinkage, Linkage & Stinkage (CBA & Lockout Discussion) XVII

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Jeffrey93

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
I doubt it's what you think. My guess is the "hardliners" are sick of getting, to their mind, jerked around. They want him to make a final offer and, if it's not taken, they'll just shut the league down and open camp in 2013 up to whomever shows up. That's the business plan I expect.

Only other thing I could see happening is they clue the players in on expansion and re-offer the same thing the players just turned down, but back it up with a new set of numbers to show they aren't losing jack.
Use replacement players? Yeah...good luck with that.

By doing that it shows the power the players have. People on here have stated that the Owners are more than happy to stop losing money and just keep it shut down for as long as it takes. If the league goes that route (replacement players), it shows they do want games to be played and tickets to be sold.

The NHLPA would, I'd guess, be quite amused to see that happen. As they sit back and watch franchise values plummet and fans leave for good.

I don't know about you...but when I go to an NHL game I go to see the players....not the Owners, not the crest on the jersey.....I go to see the best players in the world. If you get away from that and offer an inferior product....fans won't look to kindly upon it.

Old
10-28-2012, 06:45 PM
LSnow

PA should ask 3 questions:

1. What is our end game. Do we want to keep HRR% at 53-57 or do we want to get rid of the cap
2. How likely is that NHL is willing to accept our end game. Did we already lose this fight.
3. Are we ready to go all the way, and strike next season too. If we arent then why fight and gain nothing.

Old
10-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Some Other Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
I don't blame the players for accepting the deals offered under the last CBA. I blame them for not understand that the market that created those deals was too skewed towards them, and so the owners need to rectify it.

The only rumored grumbling I've heard about owners is that Bettman gave up too much with his last offer. If the PA refuses to take even a too-generous offer, I don't imagine the owners will have any problem with his conduct. Especially not in the big picture of growing the game at unprecedented rates.
B..b..b...but I thought Bettman had no real power. That he can only do what the owners want. He's just a patsy. A stooge. The $8M fall guy.

Now you're telling me he proposed something that the owners don't want? How is this possible?

Old
10-28-2012, 06:57 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
B..b..b...but I thought Bettman had no real power. That he can only do what the owners want. He's just a patsy. A stooge. The $8M fall guy.

Now you're telling me he proposed something that the owners don't want? How is this possible?
Some owners think one thing, some think another. Don't be a drama queen in your responses.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:00 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
So with November cancelled no sense of urgency to start talking again. Watch them wait until the next deadline to throw a meaningless proposal out there. Still stupid these two sides can't get in a room and negotiate.
Correct. Probably wont see anything substantive until at least mid November. Even then it will likely become more posturing and PR than real progress.

Old
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Man can you imagine if the players started negotiating early in the summer? This would all be over now right?

Is there anyone that can actually say that with a straight face now?

Old
LSnow

Quote:

I think he means that there is owners with different opinions. If Bettman and moderate owners got hardline owners aboard in that 50/50 offer, which they thought was too much then NHLPA is screwed. Because probably only reason they were aboard was hope of a full season. Depending who wins the power struggle inside BOG, is seen in the next offer.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Crows*

And Suter is back tracking like crazy.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/176190261.html

ďI thought a lot about since what I said, I donít question Craig Leipold and Minnesota with regards to negotiating our contracts in good faith. I donít question that. That might have came off wrong. I donít question that. Itís just frustrating. We just want to play. We support Don in what heís doing. Obviously you sign a contract, and you want to hold true to that. I think, and I hope, everything works out.Ē
Do you feel that in the back of Leipoldís mind, he figured youíd take a haircut: ďNo, I honestly donít feel that. Itís easy to think that or it might come off like that, but honestly, I know theyíre good people. And I know they wouldnít negotiate thinking, ĎOK, letís give them this because itíll end up being this.í Because thatís not the kind of the people they are. So that came off wrong [in Suterís original comments to ESPN the Magazine].Ē

Old
10-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Lorenzo1000

Was just re-watching the coverage from the Jets return to the league on youtube and can't feel anything but incredibly sad that it has come to this. Having the Jets back has had such a galvanizing effect on our city and it's so disappointing to sit here with this empty feeling again.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:12 PM
CerebralGenesis

Nice job suter, don't want to get to end up in the back of the bus amirite? Idiot.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:13 PM
RappinHobo
#1 Lehner Fanboy

I know it's like 14 pages late but I went to highschool with Logan Couture. Nice to see he's still as dumb as he was back then.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RappinHobo View Post
I know it's like 14 pages late but I went to highschool with Logan Couture. Nice to see he's still as dumb as he was back then.

these guys were born with foot in mouth disease.

I have lost so much respect for a lot of NHL players over this ordeal.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:16 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Ya but he is a hockey player, and is making some serious cash, wait...

Old
10-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
What did he say?

Old
10-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
What did he say?
argued with a bunch of fans on twitter last night. Called one "sickening"

Told those fans they had no clue the sacrifice he puts in to his work and how he never sees his family. How the owners were telling them they were like family and then taking 25 percent away from them.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:24 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
argued with a bunch of fans on twitter last night. Called one "sickening"

Told those fans they had no clue the sacrifice he puts in to his work and how he never sees his family. How the owners were telling them they were like family and then taking 25 percent away from them.
Logan, sshh, you are making it worse...

Old
10-28-2012, 07:26 PM
ottawah

Quote:

Bettman can propose, he cannot enact. He can strike a agreement with fehr, but until ratified by the owners and by the players its not a deal.

Sounds like he went a bit beyond what he was effectively authorized to do, but ultimately if he thinks its a deal the owners will pass, why not try and save the season?

Old
10-28-2012, 07:27 PM
ottawah

Quote:
We just want to play. We support Don in what heís doing.Ē
Maybe he should separate those two sentences a bit in his speech ......

Old
10-28-2012, 07:33 PM
wilty00

vCash: 1004

I'm sorry, but LOL. Sack up man.

Curious to know what Alan Walsh has to say about this.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:34 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey93 View Post
The NHLPA would, I'd guess, be quite amused to see that happen. As they sit back and watch franchise values plummet and fans leave for good.
I would be amused too being the NHLPA looking at this and figuring out that whatever share I'll get in the future would be a fraction of what I could have earned by signing the owners first offer...

Old
10-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Rooverick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild View Post
The PA declared war by hiring Fehr?
Feel free to name a single PA leader with a more combative reputation.

Don was brought in because he brought MLB owners to their knees and as a signal to the NHL owners that they were in for a fight.

Problem is, Donny boy and brother were advising NotGoodenough last CBA negotiations and we all know how that turned out for Bobby.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Crows*

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet
So PA and League did have some contact this weekend. Still no word if they will sit and talk in person. Tough finding common ground.

Old
10-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilty00 View Post

I'm sorry, but LOL. Sack up man.

Curious to know what Alan Walsh has to say about this.
Calling out your owner or GM is just going to make it bad when you get back to playing

10-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet
So PA and League did have some contact this weekend. Still no word if they will sit and talk in person. Tough finding common ground.
Marc The Habs Fan posted that the NHL will probably be proposing a new "business model" this week

Old
10-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Rooverick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild View Post
Man can you imagine if the players started negotiating early in the summer? This would all be over now right?

Is there anyone that can actually say that with a straight face now?
If Kelly was still the leader, the deal would have been done before summer.

Closed Thread