Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

Winter 2013 Transfer Rumors & Moves

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
As long as Mandzukic keeps scoring they don't need to bring anyone else in. Unless they feel like opening their chequebook again and spend ridiculous money on Falcao or Cavani, it's not as if there is a wealth of "world class" strikers out there.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:04 PM
cgf

vCash: 500
He's been hurt while Mandzo is playing great for them and a big part of the success their Attacking mids are having. I guess I just don't see them going after Falcao and short of him there aren't many guys they really need. Llorente is not a significant upgrade and somehow I don't see them getting Dzeko either.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 900
Bayern doesn't need an upgrade over Gomez, who arguably is one of the 5 best strikers in the world

Old
11-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasilevski View Post
Bayern doesn't need an upgrade over Gomez, who arguably is one of the 5 best strikers in the world
Not even close. Stat wise, sure, but take him away from the Bayern system, he's average to good. There is a reason that Bayern were actively looking at strikers and people within the organization were bashing Gomez on a regular basis.

He's the king of the tap-in. I'd take Klose at this point over Gomez.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:49 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Gomez was a prolific striker for Stuttgart as well, it's not Bayern's system that makes him score. Even his record for Germany isn't actually all that bad.

Gomez is mostly a victim of his personality, he is sensitive and you can tell he doesn't like pressure. That's not really a secret, he's made comments to that extent himself. But if he then he fails to convert easy chances in big games, it's easy to think he's a bottler. That was 99% the reason behind all those rumours about Bayern seeking a world-class striker to replace him.

They then basically realised how dumb that would be (you have a proven goalscorer in his prime, why spend gazillions on some superstar who then may pull a Torres) and instead got two guys who can rotate with Gomez but aren't seen as replacements.

Old
11-10-2012, 06:29 AM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edonator View Post
Not even close. Stat wise, sure, but take him away from the Bayern system, he's average to good. There is a reason that Bayern were actively looking at strikers and people within the organization were bashing Gomez on a regular basis.

He's the king of the tap-in. I'd take Klose at this point over Gomez.
Jeez it's almost as if you don't watch any Bayern games. Gomez is a fantastic tall-striker and he plays his role nearly perfectly for Bayern - the problem comes when his supply is cut off and he has to do it all himself. Against Chelsea he was double/triple marked AND Ribery and Robben played like retards AND Schweini's delivery was atrocious. It was a domino effect - definitely not Gomez's fault.

No one in the organization bashed Gomez, it was some media types who did, but most of the organization were furious at the team as a whole for choking away the CL.

As for Euro2012, Low went full-****** and never recovered. The team collapsed under its own hype.

Arsenal would look like a rejuvenated team with a player as prolific and powerful as Gomez. Don't knock the 3rd highest scoring player in Europe without merit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Gomez was a prolific striker for Stuttgart as well, it's not Bayern's system that makes him score. Even his record for Germany isn't actually all that bad.

Gomez is mostly a victim of his personality, he is sensitive and you can tell he doesn't like pressure. That's not really a secret, he's made comments to that extent himself. But if he then he fails to convert easy chances in big games, it's easy to think he's a bottler. That was 99% the reason behind all those rumours about Bayern seeking a world-class striker to replace him.

They then basically realised how dumb that would be (you have a proven goalscorer in his prime, why spend gazillions on some superstar who then may pull a Torres) and instead got two guys who can rotate with Gomez but aren't seen as replacements.
Well said, I don't think Gomez is an issue. I distrust Schweini more than Gomez even. Schweini is a proven bottler, Gomez has had some iffy games when he's been the sole-attacking force - totally different circumstances.

How great would Bayern's defense look with Chiellini next to Badstuber... I can only dream. (and if Alaba doesn't work out too well, maybe we could look at Balzaretti for LB? I have a huge man-crush on him too)

Old
11-10-2012, 07:37 AM
cgf

Mario gets so overrated because of his goals. He's terrible with the ball and useless outside of the box. That's why they're playing better with Mandzukic, and he's scoring left and right to so it's not like they have to sacrifice goal scoring for that competent link up play. Gomez is a hard worker, with his size and strength that gets him in many scoring chances, with a dominant team behind him to keep feed him game long that usually results in a goal, but he's useless in build up and wastes plenty of good scoring chances, it's just he gets so many that eventually he converts one.

It's just hard for me to buy in when both the NT and Bayern play better with the more skilled Klose and Mandzo in his place.

Old
11-10-2012, 07:47 AM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Mario gets so overrated because of his goals. He's terrible with the ball and useless outside of the box. That's why they're playing better with Mandzukic, and he's scoring left and right to so it's not like they have to sacrifice goal scoring for that competent link up play. Gomez is a hard worker, with his size and strength that gets him in many scoring chances, with a dominant team behind him to keep feed him game long that usually results in a goal, but he's useless in build up and wastes plenty of good scoring chances, it's just he gets so many that eventually he converts one.

It's just hard for me to buy in when both the NT and Bayern play better with the more skilled Klose and Mandzo in his place.
A striker scores firstly, but their secondary use can differ: small, fast strikers create chances while tall strikers draw marking onto them open up space for others - Gomez is a tall striker. It's pretty clear that he plays in the box and the centre field - it's his bread and butter and he's damn good at it. Also you're discrediting how often he closes down - he's not useless in the build up at all.

It's not fair to say that Gomez only scores because he works hard and has so many chances - that is the exact whole role he plays. And I've yet to see Mandzukic out-perform Gomez as this 2013 Bayern hasn't seen Gomez feature - I'm 90% certain Gomez is going to be starting when he's healthy, he's certainly a better striker.

Old
11-10-2012, 08:26 AM
Theon
Fear the Beard

Here's another head scratcher. Frank Lampard has apparently agreed a deal with a Chinese club and would complete his move in January.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...medium=twitter

Old
11-10-2012, 08:32 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDZ View Post
Here's another head scratcher. Frank Lampard has apparently agreed a deal with a Chinese club and would complete his move in January.

He's accomplished everything he can in England, may as well go for the change of scenery and easy money.

Old
11-10-2012, 08:35 AM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
A striker scores firstly, but their secondary use can differ: small, fast strikers create chances while tall strikers draw marking onto them open up space for others - Gomez is a tall striker. It's pretty clear that he plays in the box and the centre field - it's his bread and butter and he's damn good at it. Also you're discrediting how often he closes down - he's not useless in the build up at all.

It's not fair to say that Gomez only scores because he works hard and has so many chances - that is the exact whole role he plays. And I've yet to see Mandzukic out-perform Gomez as this 2013 Bayern hasn't seen Gomez feature - I'm 90% certain Gomez is going to be starting when he's healthy, he's certainly a better striker.
Except Gomez doesn't create space for others, in fact just the opposite, he clogs up the middle because defenders know they can ignore him outside of the box. That's why there's so much more room for the NT and Bayern when his replacement plays, with klose and Mandzo you have to track their runs out of the box, Gomez you only need to worry about when he's getting close to goal. Plus Mandzukic and a plethora of other strikers prove that just because you're big doesn't mean you can't help in the build up and set up others. Gomez just isn't very skilled.

Old
11-10-2012, 08:52 AM
ProPAIN
Playoffs! NOW!!

Quote:

I doubt this is true, but I'd be ok with it if it were. He's past his prime and there are plenty of options in his position. And he doesn't fit in the current system they are trying to adopt anyways. He's ineffective in a deeper role and there are better players in an attacking position now. Either take up a super-sub Giggs role or go light up another league like Beckham, Drogba, etc.

Old
11-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
I doubt this is true, but I'd be ok with it if it were. He's past his prime and there are plenty of options in his position. And he doesn't fit in the current system they are trying to adopt anyways. He's ineffective in a deeper role and there are better players in an attacking position now. Either take up a super-sub Giggs role or go light up another league like Beckham, Drogba, etc.
A co-worker was telling me that drogba hasn't been paid his full wages over in china. I have nothing to back that up myself, but food for thought when talking about other players who may explore the possibility of going there.

Old
11-10-2012, 11:02 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Except Gomez doesn't create space for others, in fact just the opposite, he clogs up the middle because defenders know they can ignore him outside of the box. That's why there's so much more room for the NT and Bayern when his replacement plays, with klose and Mandzo you have to track their runs out of the box, Gomez you only need to worry about when he's getting close to goal. Plus Mandzukic and a plethora of other strikers prove that just because you're big doesn't mean you can't help in the build up and set up others. Gomez just isn't very skilled.
Gomez is a different type of striker and you need to adapt your system to it. If you expect him to be a creative forward you will be disappointed, if you expect him to take up space in the box and put the ball in the net when it gets near him (the traditional defiition of a striker pretty much) he's your man.

I think the problem for Gomez is that at the moment we're in a phase of football where the popular systems really work through the wide attacking players and many managers want strikers who will play toward those players' strengths and that's going to be the types who will play a better pass, who get active in the build-up etc.

But if you play it in such a fashion that the wide men's main job is to provide service for the striker, Gomez can thrive. His skill set is almost perfect for that role.

Old
11-11-2012, 03:34 PM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 100
Perisic wants to leave Dortmund in the winter according to the CRO press

Old
11-11-2012, 05:20 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

A few minutes prior to that tweet

Wheeler is normally pretty reliable. Has some insiders, often gets the starting XI before it comes out, announced Giroud and whatnot

Can play Wing or CF, is tall, got speed, can finish and dribbles at high speed.. Sounds like Thierry Henry to me (Just playing around here)

Last edited by LaurentHabs: 11-11-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old
11-11-2012, 06:54 PM
The VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to The VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to The VEGASKING
He got an England call up for Wednesday. I'd like to see the price.

Old
11-11-2012, 07:30 PM
njdevsfn95
Help JJJ, Sprite.

January cannot come soon enough for Newcastle. I just hope they are in position to strengthen...

Old
11-11-2012, 07:46 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Zaha has quite a long contract, so I imagine it would have to be a pretty tidy sum.

That said, I've seen Zaha play this year pretty up close and paid close attention to him and I wasn't that impressed. Yes, he's probably the most talented player in the Championship and has more pace and skill than that league can handle, but he doesn't really seem to track back much at all (a spectator off-the-ball essentially) and seemed pouty and quick to disengage when he didn't get the ball how he wanted it.

Wenger might cure some of that but I think it would be more of a project than you'd think.

Old
11-11-2012, 07:57 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASKING View Post
He got an England call up for Wednesday. I'd like to see the price.
Ahh so the "All I can say..God is good" would be for the England callup. That would make sense.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
How great would Bayern's defense look with Chiellini next to Badstuber... I can only dream. (and if Alaba doesn't work out too well, maybe we could look at Balzaretti for LB? I have a huge man-crush on him too)
Big hands off warning on Chiellini from Juve. We're not letting him go unless a huge overpayment.

Quote:

I was hoping he could come to the MLS.

Old
11-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
(and if Alaba doesn't work out too well, maybe we could look at Balzaretti for LB? I have a huge man-crush on him too)
Balzaretti is terrible.

Old
11-11-2012, 09:45 PM
cgf

Bayern doesn't really need a CB either, Dante's awesome, Boateng's playing well with him, Badstuber is a quality starter and Javi can fill in there when necessary and do well. Were they lack depth is out wide, Lahm and Alaba are great, but Contento's very mediocre, Rafinha very unreliable and Weiser way too young to be relied upon.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:35 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Big hands off warning on Chiellini from Juve. We're not letting him go unless a huge overpayment.

I was hoping he could come to the MLS.
Dam, same here..

Weird that he's leaving Chelsea...

Old
11-12-2012, 02:40 PM
ProPAIN
Playoffs! NOW!!

Hehe, Mikel, get the **** out

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...-Fellaini.html

Closed Thread